What Happened to Nike SB ???

Originally Posted by Nermindee

Originally Posted by AJ27526

A few people began criticizing it and it soon became hip to do so on the forums, while awesome releases still drop and slip by the majority of sneaker forum users.

They're still good with me
Im not an SB head, can you give examples of these releases that were slept on?
youre asking me a very opinionated question, especially if youre not a big fan anyway. I also said nothing about releases being slept on. But here are some colorways that either were very well received or follow the exact same DNA of colorways that everyone liked:
nike%20_sb_blue_lobster.jpg

4117532929_0513a358ac.jpg

nike-sb-dunk-high-supreme-deep-orangeblue-sapphire-black-2.jpg

nike-dunk-sb-yellow-curb-2.jpg

nike-dunk-pro-sb-2011-preview-00.jpg

Nike-Dunk-SB-Fall-2011-Sneakers-07.jpeg

(coming fall 2011)

nike-sb-dunk-low-medium-grey-university-blue-fall-2011-2.jpg

plenty more are out there for people to like

I'd also say the Ms. Pacmans, Unhemps, and Kostons (lows) were heavily slept on. The Kostons have been in my rotation for 9 solid months and I'm happy I was able to find extras for really cheap.

I honestly don't even know what to do with my sb's anymore. I'll probably donate them to the local boys and girls club. Why hold onto something that I'm not going to wear anymore?

Originally Posted by mints

Kostons (lows) were heavily slept on. The Kostons have been in my rotation for 9 solid months and I'm happy I was able to find extras for really cheap.

Yes, picked up two pair on separate occasions with neither getting me for more than $65 shipped
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by Nermindee

A few people began criticizing it and it soon became hip to do so on the forums, while awesome releases still drop and slip by the majority of sneaker forum users.

They're still good with me
Im not an SB head, can you give examples of these releases that were slept on?
youre asking me a very opinionated question, especially if youre not a big fan anyway. I also said nothing about releases being slept on. But here are some colorways that either were very well received or follow the exact same DNA of colorways that everyone liked:
nike%20_sb_blue_lobster.jpg

4117532929_0513a358ac.jpg

nike-sb-dunk-high-supreme-deep-orangeblue-sapphire-black-2.jpg

nike-dunk-sb-yellow-curb-2.jpg

nike-dunk-pro-sb-2011-preview-00.jpg

Nike-Dunk-SB-Fall-2011-Sneakers-07.jpeg

(coming fall 2011)

nike-sb-dunk-low-medium-grey-university-blue-fall-2011-2.jpg

plenty more are out there for people to like
You think Lobsters were slept on? How were they slept on if people were paying 210 on RD (fcny) and now paying 300+ for em? That is shoe is by no means "slept on." MOST shoes AFTER 05 have been slept on, but very few of those shoes have become something later. Some of the "sleepers" were Ferris Buellers, New Castles (kind of), Huxtables, Pee Wees, Bruts, Purple Pigeons, 720s (kind of), Piet Mondrian (kind of), C and K (kind of), Mr. and Ms. Pacman (kind of), WHERE AS OTHER SHOES became fire right at RD, IE WTDs, Dooms, Red Lobsters, Skate or Dies, Trickstar, DOTDs,  Hawaiis,  Three Bears,  Money Cats, Skunks, Guccis (kind of) and thats about it.

By "kind of" I mean they are kind of sought after, but not really. Hardly anything besides WTDs, Dooms, Trickstars, Hawaiis, Three Bears, Lobsters, Pee Wees are serious heat and even then they're only like 300, so not really "A LOT", but still significant. ALMOST EVERY OTHER SB DUNK MADE AFTER 2005 HAS BEEN A COMPLETE FLOP AND WORTHLESS (RETAIL ON EBAY, OR JUST LIKE MAX 150-175 RESALE) TO COLLECTORS.

Where as pretty much every release 02-05 was and is fire, sure not from the beginning (crystals, jedis etc), but they eventually caught on, and there are very few flops from back then. There are some, but very very few.

SB did change the dunk significantly, shape, heel padding, quality, amount of material around toebox. All of these things affect the look of a shoe, so just because a shoe has a solid cw, doesnt mean that it looks as good had it had been on an 05 dunk (dunks that have all those things I just mentioned).

You either need to disengage from the past or disengage from its future, otherwise you're setting yourself up for failed expectations.

trust me, SB was a lot better back then, it was more popular, the shoes had solid deep meaning, and the a lot of heads left SBs after the whackness and changes came, not just in cw but in all the things I keep mentioning. (shape, appearance, heel padding, quality of materials, fit changes)

You just refuse to get it. You've already pre -condition yourself into think that "02-05" equals good and anything post era is bad. It doesn't even MATTER what they do now. They make a "bad" cw, you're on about colorway. They make a good cw, you complain about about quality. You've created a self fulfilling prophecy where the only thing you like about Nsb now is hating on every effort they've had since the "good old days."

Maybe you'll understand this time. You either need to disengage from the past or disengage from its future, otherwise you're setting yourself up for failed expectations.

Originally Posted by limonyfresh

You just refuse to get it. You've already pre -condition yourself into think that "02-05" equals good and anything post era is bad. It doesn't even MATTER what they do now. They make a "bad" cw, you're on about colorway. They make a good cw, you complain about about quality. You've created a self fulfilling prophecy where the only thing you like about Nsb now is hating on every effort they've had since the "good old days."

Maybe you'll understand this time. You either need to disengage from the past or disengage from its future, otherwise you're setting yourself up for failed expectations.

And if complaining about that doesn't work, well then Nike SB made too many of them and now the resellers aren't getting what they would have in 2002-2005.

Its not just that prices arent there anymore, that has very little to do with anything. The cws are crap, there is little demand for them. Nike completely killed the fun of collecting SBs by not making cws that people fiend after, that they camp for, or that they are willing to pay high prices for. Nike changed the way the dunk looks and fits, and I know from personal experience and observation that this has affected people's decisions to buy a pair or not. I didnt like the fit on my faded denims and I regret buying them simply because they fit too tight in the toe area. If Nike went back to the way dunks were supposed to be, and made a real effort to have cws that look good, materials that look good with those colors, and tried to make the dunks have a meaning (theme) that many heads would relate to, then I can tell you that A LOT more people would be on dunks again. DXC has died because there is no new stuff to trade, b/c people simply dont want it. Nike has killed the SB dunk culture when there was no reason to do so. It's up to Nike if they want collectors to be unhappy and for the dunks to sit on shop shelves and have shop owners mad at them. It's up to Nike whether the demand comes up. And this demand will be maximized if the 05 dunk comes back in the ways I've described.

Everyone knows that dunks were better back then in fit (toebox shape), quality (materials), aethetics (the shape/ distance between midsole and toebox on the toecap) and comfort (heel padding), AND not just in cw. This CANNOT be argued by anyone who actually knows their SB stuff.

because honestly prices reflect whether we (collectors as a whole) like a shoe (look at prices on Ostriches or Koston lows, people just dont want them, therefore a flop)...if a shoe goes for a lot then Nike has done a good job. Also, if a shoe is unpopular then prices will be low and it cannot be used as trade bait to get a shoe a person really wants, thats why I said DXC died as well.

I know it did, but it's Nike SB's fault. They didnt come through with the cws, they released too many pairs per year. They changed the quality, padding, look of the shoe, and the fitting as well. IT'S ALL NIKE'S FAULT.

The thing is, we never stood up to them, we just let it happen.

they dont have a nickname, thats just hopw slept on and looked over they really are....They are referred to as Knicks usually and cna be found for REALLY cheap on eBay

Originally Posted by mints

Why do you bring up the prices in about 50% of your posts then?
Bingo.
Because..."High price= 'we' like it."
Everyone this, people that, we this...we don't need a spokesman for what we want. This guy (directed to '02-'05 advocate) needs to face the facts. You don't even know what you want.

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

because honestly prices reflect whether we (collectors as a whole) like a shoe (look at prices on Ostriches or Koston lows, people just dont want them, therefore a flop)...if a shoe goes for a lot then Nike has done a good job. Also, if a shoe is unpopular then prices will be low and it cannot be used as trade bait to get a shoe a person really wants, thats why I said DXC died as well.

You're a cool dude and all but lets clear some things up:
1)Reseller prices don't dictate whether a shoe is hot or not. A flop sales wise? Sure, why not. But as far as I know none of us are NKE stockholders or on the board of directors, therefore if a shoe sells or not shouldn't determine whether one person or the other uses this as a basis to deem something as dope. Where i'm from, people who do use others opinions, and their "market" price as prerequisites in order to make a purchase are called hypebeasts, posers, and so on.

2) Popular or not doesn't matter, shoes are intended to be worn, not to be used as bartering chips for something they really want, if that's the case then instead of spending money on something you hope you'll be able to resell or flip for more in the future and just buy what you want outright.

3) Dunkxchange and all similar "conventions" were based on the hype of people being (sneakerheads [
alien.gif
] )

Things run their course, and that's that. There's no conspiracy or anything that happened, people moved on, and that's it. They still DO put out hot $!*+, just not as often as before. The blame belongs to people who post on boards such as Niketalk, who oogle everything they see and critique it, checking blogs on the daily hourly by the minute needing to critique everything they see. 

Things may not be as good as they once were to some, but again, IMO they're back to where they once were, no gimmicks, simple colorways, and NO HYPE which is the best thing to happen in ages.

I buy out of the love for kicks, not because it's hitting 3-4xx at a consignment shop.

I don't think I've ever looked at any sneaker as something to use as trade bait. Once I buy a pair of shoes they can be considered off the market for good, I'm going to wear them until they fall apart on me, and then if I can't find another pair, well then I guess that's the end of that and I'll only have my memories. I don't believe in 1 to rock and 1 to stock for the most part (unless I find a really good deal on a second pair)

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

You're a cool dude and all but lets clear some things up:
1)Reseller prices don't dictate whether a shoe is hot or not. A flop sales wise? Sure, why not. But as far as I know none of us are NKE stockholders or on the board of directors, therefore if a shoe sells or not shouldn't determine whether one person or the other uses this as a basis to deem something as dope. Where i'm from, people who do use others opinions, and their "market" price as prerequisites in order to make a purchase are called hypebeasts, posers, and so on.

2) Popular or not doesn't matter, shoes are intended to be worn, not to be used as bartering chips for something they really want, if that's the case then instead of spending money on something you hope you'll be able to resell or flip for more in the future and just buy what you want outright.

3) Dunkxchange and all similar "conventions" were based on the hype of people being (sneakerheads [
alien.gif
] )

Things run their course, and that's that. There's no conspiracy or anything that happened, people moved on, and that's it. They still DO put out hot $!*+, just not as often as before. The blame belongs to people who post on boards such as Niketalk, who oogle everything they see and critique it, checking blogs on the daily hourly by the minute needing to critique everything they see. 

Things may not be as good as they once were to some, but again, IMO they're back to where they once were, no gimmicks, simple colorways, and NO HYPE which is the best thing to happen in ages.

I buy out of the love for kicks, not because it's hitting 3-4xx at a consignment shop.
Most people who buy based on what other people do, but who dont really like the shoes ARE hypebeasts, BUT people who buy what is hot because they like it are just sneakerheads. I buy what I like and have never sold a pair of shoes in my life. All heads buy what they like and it just so happens that some stuff is worth a lot, because a lot of people like it. The money is byproduct of the demand relative to supply. I know man, the hype isn't there just like 03, but if the cws aren't appealing to many than the shoe is a failure. If the shoe isnt being sold for exorbitant amounts it is a failure. I really like sunsets, red suede mids, and Chromeball highs, but not many do. There are some shoes what heads like that the majority of the sneakerhead community dont like, and its fine to buy these shoes. What I'm saying is Nike's cws aren't what they used to be, dunks aren't what they used to be, and the sneaker culture isnt what it used to be. Back in the 70s, b-boys in NY would sit on pairs and break them out like 5 or 6 years later and would break the necks of all their friends because they had a fresh of what those people had trashed long ago. THIS WAS THE REASON THEY COLLECTED, AND IT IS STILL THE REASON PEOPLE COLLECT TODAY. Exclusivity is the name of the game. If you collect just because you like the shoes and dont wear them to impress people then why dont you just wear them right when yopu get them? Whats the point of wearing a 5 year old shoe if you dont care what the reaction is? When I wear my shoes, sure I just wear them, I dont really try and go out and get someone to look at my stuff as the main priority of wearing that specific pair, BUT I do notice if people look or not. If they dont then I dont really care because I enjoy the feeling I receive when I have my shoes which I consider dope on my feet. I wear my shoes to wear them.

The last dunk that I purchased from a shop was a pair of 07 Strummers, which I bought for 55 and skated to death. There have been shoes that I wanted that have come after 07, but not many and certainly I didn't want them enough to buy them. What I mean was there was other stuff I wanted over those pairs. Nike has destroyed the culture, they have destroyed the thrill of having a sought after shoe on your foot, they have seemed to have not really put in an effort to bring the demand back. Here's the thing, back when SB had no hype in 03, the shoes were still good skate shoes. They were cheap and they were extarordinarily dope. Look at what happened to the collectors of those shoes who kept them dope. Look at sea crystals, they sat on shelves, and then years later they became sought after. The difference between then and now is that now people know that shoes can be worth money later on, thus they sit on pairs in the hope that they will be worth something. The thing now is, the stuff dropping does not look to most heads, thus people aren't willing to pay very much for a pair. This is why I say Nike SB has taken the demand away, because they have stopped producing these "dope" cws (POPULAR CWS). This is not to say that there are not pairs which I do not consider "dope."

Nike has destroyed the culture, they have destroyed the thrill of having a sought after shoe on your foot, they have seemed to have not really put in an effort to bring the demand back. 

And that's perfectly fine with a ton of us who don't care about the demand.
I'm not a shop owner, a supplier, a reseller, a Nike sales rep, regional manager, or work on the campus overseeing anybody. I'm a consumer, and as a consumer they're giving me what I want -- I don't care much about anybody else. If I didn't like em, I wouldn't buy. It's that simple, you do or you don't.

Back
Top Bottom