What makes an Album classic?

I hear this term on here all the time. Is an Album really a classic if it don't get love in all rap circles? Is it the production, Lyrics and beats? Ijust want to gauge what the def. is on this board

When the production and the lyrics go hand and hand and make timeless music. I Also think that the affect it has on the culture comes into play....

Originally Posted by Sosincere09

When the production and the lyrics go hand and hand and make timeless music. I Also think that the affect it has on the culture comes into play....

Good point.

When you don't skip tracks on it and you never get tired of hearing it. Trendy albums die quick but classics never get old.

If the fans call it a classic it will be labeled as one!

Sometimes things aren't recognized till later generations, but the same rules apply. If I say Lil Wayne is the Greatest Rapper Alive and no one retractsand just agrees then its so.

Classics can have skippable tracks...

People have called the Black Album classic, but Justify My Thug is always skipped when I play it.

The Blueprint is called classic, Jigga that +%+!% is trash.

Originally Posted by Mw2889

People have called the Black Album classic, but Justify My Thug is always skipped when I play it.

I'm gonna disagree to the day I die about Justify My Thug. I just don't get why dudes don't F with that track. Quik killed that beat. I wonder whatthe response would've been had the hook not sampled Justify My Love. I'm the only cat that likes that track though so I know i'm in the minoritylol.

But I agree about Blueprint. That's a fine example of a album that's classic but has a skippable track on it.

I think what it comes down to is replay value, production and to an extent lyrics. There are other qualitys to a classic record but I think those are the big3. I think the better production the weaker the lyrics can be. Get Rich Or die Trying and Doggystyle are two albums with not much lyrical content but withgreat production.

Originally Posted by rocyaice

I'm gonna disagree to the day I die about Justify My Thug. I just don't get why dudes don't F with that track. Quik killed that beat. I wonder what the response would've been had the hook not sampled Justify My Love. I'm the only cat that likes that track though so I know i'm in the minority lol.
eek.gif
I thought I was the only one that like Justify MyThug!!!

With all due respect, I don't know anyone that's called TBA a classic. Maybe it's just me, but I was always under the impression Jayhad two classics: RD and BP. At the end of the day, I've come to enjoy the remix albums like Dangermouse's version far more than the original BlackAlbum.

Originally Posted by zube42

I'm gonna disagree to the day I die about Justify My Thug. I just don't get why dudes don't F with that track. Quik killed that beat. I wonder what the response would've been had the hook not sampled Justify My Love. I'm the only cat that likes that track though so I know i'm in the minority lol.
eek.gif
I thought I was the only one that like Justify My Thug!!!
Three.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

Originally Posted by zube42

eek.gif
I thought I was the only one that like Justify My Thug!!!
Three.
nerd.gif

Four.

[flame suit] Justify My Thug is one of my favorite tracks on the album, but I always skip Allure. I'm going to hide from the angry mob now. [/flame suit]

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

With all due respect, I don't know anyone that's called TBA a classic. Maybe it's just me, but I was always under the impression Jay had two classics: RD and BP. At the end of the day, I've come to enjoy the remix albums like Dangermouse's version far more than the original Black Album.
TBA is a classic in my book and I've seen plenty of people who say the same.
nerd.gif

And Justify My Thug is
pimp.gif
too by the way.

who the %+%+ calls Black Album a classic???

and honestly, i don't think Blueprint is a classic. although, yes, i agree that general public perception thinks differently.

indifferent.gif
at dude for skipping Allure though...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by N3FF 3000

The 11th Commandment: Thou shall not skip Allure. It's one of Jay's best songs.
laugh.gif
I always liked it, but for some reason, not unti l last year, I didn't realize its true piffery. It's like something snapped in mybrain that said "DAMN I love this song."

Back
Top Bottom