What to do in Honolulu?

Originally Posted by morningstar7777

Not sure if it's same owner, but definitely the same "chain". I go to the one in NY once a month.
i wish i had your disposable income
happy.gif

if you have car, you're in good shape cause like dude said, waikiki gets lame quick. stairway to heaven is a no go unless you are willing to get up super early and get there early to outrun security to the bottom of the steps. if you're in shape, there are a ton of nice hiking trails. if you're not in shape, the manoa falls hike is nice and easy. don't eat at zippys unless you have to - that place is garbage. matsumoto shave ice is overrated by in a convenient location - best shave ice spot is shimazu. best ramen spot close by is ramen nakamura. best steak is right there at wolfgang's in the royal hawaiian shopping center although ruth's chris and blt are both good and close by. skydiving on the north shore and the shark cage are both good.  if you are going to do some casual snorkeling, consider hanauma bay - here's the website: http://www1.honolulu.gov/parks/facility/hanaumabay
here are a few general tips: 1) if you're caucasian, look like a tourist and can't fight really well, stay away from beach parks on the west side of the island past koolina. 2) don't buy weed from any random dude on the street in waikiki unless you want to pay $25 for a small bag of oregano and glue. 3) never, ever leave your valuables in the car - especially if you have a rental car. 4) don't venture too far away from your stuff at the beach. leave the valuables at home or in the hotel room and don't being it to the beach and leave it on the towel. 

pm me if you have anymore questions. 

if you have car, you're in good shape cause like dude said, waikiki gets lame quick. stairway to heaven is a no go unless you are willing to get up super early and get there early to outrun security to the bottom of the steps. if you're in shape, there are a ton of nice hiking trails. if you're not in shape, the manoa falls hike is nice and easy. don't eat at zippys unless you have to - that place is garbage. matsumoto shave ice is overrated by in a convenient location - best shave ice spot is shimazu. best ramen spot close by is ramen nakamura. best steak is right there at wolfgang's in the royal hawaiian shopping center although ruth's chris and blt are both good and close by. skydiving on the north shore and the shark cage are both good.  if you are going to do some casual snorkeling, consider hanauma bay - here's the website: http://www1.honolulu.gov/parks/facility/hanaumabay
here are a few general tips: 1) if you're caucasian, look like a tourist and can't fight really well, stay away from beach parks on the west side of the island past koolina. 2) don't buy weed from any random dude on the street in waikiki unless you want to pay $25 for a small bag of oregano and glue. 3) never, ever leave your valuables in the car - especially if you have a rental car. 4) don't venture too far away from your stuff at the beach. leave the valuables at home or in the hotel room and don't being it to the beach and leave it on the towel. 

pm me if you have anymore questions. 

^Good advice, especially #1. Don't even bother going on that side of the island.

^Good advice, especially #1. Don't even bother going on that side of the island.

Lanikai and Kailua Beach are pretty nice. Can always hit it up after Boots and Kimo's or Uahi Grill (putting in a plug for a family friend's restaurant down the street) in Kailua. Be prepared to wait a while unless you go early if you go to Boots and Kimo's though.

Hanauma Bay is closed on Tuesdays. If you're going, go early.

Shimazu's is really good for shave ice. I definitely prefer it to Matsumoto's especially since I don't have to drive to the North Shore to eat it.

Makapuu is a fairly chill hike. Might be able to see some whales also.

If the poi isn't that good, don't hesitate to throw some lomi salmon, kalua pig or laulau in there. Unless it's freshly made, don't bother trying to eat it by itself.

Lanikai and Kailua Beach are pretty nice. Can always hit it up after Boots and Kimo's or Uahi Grill (putting in a plug for a family friend's restaurant down the street) in Kailua. Be prepared to wait a while unless you go early if you go to Boots and Kimo's though.

Hanauma Bay is closed on Tuesdays. If you're going, go early.

Shimazu's is really good for shave ice. I definitely prefer it to Matsumoto's especially since I don't have to drive to the North Shore to eat it.

Makapuu is a fairly chill hike. Might be able to see some whales also.

If the poi isn't that good, don't hesitate to throw some lomi salmon, kalua pig or laulau in there. Unless it's freshly made, don't bother trying to eat it by itself.

Waikiki at night is the hood haha. I went there my senior year in high school for a competition last year.. our nextdoor hotel neighbors were canadian pot heads
pimp.gif

We copped some hawaiian tree off some coo ppl and saw someone get laid out in an alley. One hitter quitter on the dude n he was out.

You see a couple of drunk people roamin the streets at night. We burned on the beach n found out that there was a cop car posted like 10 feet
laugh.gif

The boys patrol heavy so dont do anything too crazy.

You MUST find a luau. So much food and females in coconut bras haha. The water at the beaches feel so nice.

The international market is a nice place to go. Its right outside the hotels and the street performers are pretty interesting. They got a mall too.

Waikiki at night is the hood haha. I went there my senior year in high school for a competition last year.. our nextdoor hotel neighbors were canadian pot heads
pimp.gif

We copped some hawaiian tree off some coo ppl and saw someone get laid out in an alley. One hitter quitter on the dude n he was out.

You see a couple of drunk people roamin the streets at night. We burned on the beach n found out that there was a cop car posted like 10 feet
laugh.gif

The boys patrol heavy so dont do anything too crazy.

You MUST find a luau. So much food and females in coconut bras haha. The water at the beaches feel so nice.

The international market is a nice place to go. Its right outside the hotels and the street performers are pretty interesting. They got a mall too.

I'm going in August. I'm definitely not trying to stay on Oaha the whole time, so I might try to go to the other islands, but I don't know which one. Can anyone recommed which I should go to and what to do there?

I'm going in August. I'm definitely not trying to stay on Oaha the whole time, so I might try to go to the other islands, but I don't know which one. Can anyone recommed which I should go to and what to do there?

Maui is by far my fave. Good mix of touristy things and just chilling. I don't want to go to a island to be in a congested metropolitan area like Oahu...that's me though.

Maui is by far my fave. Good mix of touristy things and just chilling. I don't want to go to a island to be in a congested metropolitan area like Oahu...that's me though.

rent out a car and do a circle tour (drive from waikiki to kailua to north coast and back down [you can skip the west side of oahu
laugh.gif
])

do NOT go to the dole pineapple plantation or the polynesian culture center. biggest waste of time (and money for the PCC).

don't overdo it with the itinerary and keep a loose schedule. leave a day or two open and be spontaneous. don't try and squeeze everything into your vacation, you'll have other opportunities.

rent out a car and do a circle tour (drive from waikiki to kailua to north coast and back down [you can skip the west side of oahu
laugh.gif
])

do NOT go to the dole pineapple plantation or the polynesian culture center. biggest waste of time (and money for the PCC).

don't overdo it with the itinerary and keep a loose schedule. leave a day or two open and be spontaneous. don't try and squeeze everything into your vacation, you'll have other opportunities.

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

best advice. 

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

best advice. 

how old are you? who are you traveling with? PM me, I can absolutely help you out and lead you in the right direction...

how old are you? who are you traveling with? PM me, I can absolutely help you out and lead you in the right direction...

my fiance and I are honeymooning there in november.

any suggestions as far as which island to hit up to just chill and maybe do some light hiking? I'm renting a jeep, and have some spending money.

my fiance and I are honeymooning there in november.

any suggestions as far as which island to hit up to just chill and maybe do some light hiking? I'm renting a jeep, and have some spending money.

Back
Top Bottom