What's it gonna take to see a GR AT1 Chlorophyll retro? (25th anniv. is upon us)

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but as much as I'd love to have a decent quality retro of this shoe its never gonna happen. Not as a GR at least.

Looking at those pics you posted, I just gotta smh at how many corners Nike cuts nowadays. My 2008, as you mentioned, do not even come
close to the quality of those. I'd gladly pay $150+ for retros with that quality. It blows my mind when I read comments on various sneaker sites,
where kids make excuses for Nike not using quality materials on their retro shoes. Bottom line is it doesn't make financial sense for them to
produce better quality retros. The average consumer(young kids) care more about the toebox not creasing...

SoleAddict34, With a price point of $90 in 2009, I just feel they have some leeway to go up to $115, increase quality and make more money all in one ($15 in material cost increase offsets the extra $10 for a standard price hike. They win. We win).

Maybe the reality is that they'd increase the price to $115 with no changes (like most other Bo trainers). I guess we're really getting a bargain here @ $90, paying some $20 dollars less than other bo's of similar quality. Then again, that $90 price point is never truly obtainable for most, so it tends to all equal out. I hope Nike doesn't see that a select few would pay $120-180 on these, even with substandard quality, and feel others would do the same thing.. I think $90 is perfect keeping all things equal to what we know ($90 for a cheap quality. $120 tops on a nicer quality). Nike needs to play around a bit and get that perfect price/quality # figured out.

I just see a $120 maxim trainer with a different type of thicker suede that is soft and real nice as where these could be at. Instead I fear a price hike with no true measurable upgrade for that given price hike. Here I go talking about prices as if these are even in some sort of catalog set for release.

SoleAddict34, With a price point of $90 in 2009, I just feel they have some leeway to go up to $115, increase quality and make more money all in one ($15 in material cost increase offsets the extra $10 for a standard price hike. They win. We win).

Maybe the reality is that they'd increase the price to $115 with no changes (like most other Bo trainers). I guess we're really getting a bargain here @ $90, paying some $20 dollars less than other bo's of similar quality. Then again, that $90 price point is never truly obtainable for most, so it tends to all equal out. I hope Nike doesn't see that a select few would pay $120-180 on these, even with substandard quality, and feel others would do the same thing.. I think $90 is perfect keeping all things equal to what we know ($90 for a cheap quality. $120 tops on a nicer quality). Nike needs to play around a bit and get that perfect price/quality # figured out.

I just see a $120 maxim trainer with a different type of thicker suede that is soft and real nice as where these could be at. Instead I fear a price hike with no true measurable upgrade for that given price hike. Here I go talking about prices as if these are even in some sort of catalog set for release.

Got my 09 pair , but would love to see a GR. Even thou im afraid Nike would mess up the materials :/ Release them like the OG's ^ Nike and im down for 3-4 pairs , no doubt!

Got my 09 pair , but would love to see a GR. Even thou im afraid Nike would mess up the materials :/ Release them like the OG's ^ Nike and im down for 3-4 pairs , no doubt!

OG quality is right.

They used to come with arch supports (like am90s)
They used to be shaped like this
screen-shot-2011-04-14-at-12-14-40-am.png

Air_Trainer1.jpg

1280976127trainerleft2jpg.jpg

We always see those " retro this shoe" type threads and say, those are some weird obscure 3rd tier takedown model. No one but the OP wants those.. These are just on a whole other playing field

OG quality is right.

Air_Trainer1.jpg

1280976127trainerleft2jpg.jpg

We always see those " retro this shoe" type threads and say, those are some weird obscure 3rd tier takedown model. No one but the OP wants those.. These are just on a whole other playing field

Somehow, if they do decide to do a 25th anniversary version, I think they'll just use the version we've been getting over the past few years (egg carton sockliner, checker tongue, smaller fit, etc). To Nike, they probably don't think the public will notice things like the shape, materials, slight shade changes in the color, etc. I'd love Nike to prove me wrong though.

Somehow, if they do decide to do a 25th anniversary version, I think they'll just use the version we've been getting over the past few years (egg carton sockliner, checker tongue, smaller fit, etc). To Nike, they probably don't think the public will notice things like the shape, materials, slight shade changes in the color, etc. I'd love Nike to prove me wrong though.

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

OG quality is right.

Did the OGs always have the piping around the edge of the tongue? Didn't notice that til now. Anyways, those pics make me wish I had a time machine
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

OG quality is right.

Did the OGs always have the piping around the edge of the tongue? Didn't notice that til now. Anyways, those pics make me wish I had a time machine
smokin.gif

^ Actually, Wally and I had a discussion about this a while back. If I remember correctly, we came to the conclusion that the 87 batch of AT1's had the piped-tongue, but after that it was the tongues with the hidden stitching. Not sure if might have been a sample or if the 87 GR's had those tongues...

^ Actually, Wally and I had a discussion about this a while back. If I remember correctly, we came to the conclusion that the 87 batch of AT1's had the piped-tongue, but after that it was the tongues with the hidden stitching. Not sure if might have been a sample or if the 87 GR's had those tongues...

Originally Posted by SinnerP

thanks for the clarification Sinner. Wonder why they made that change. Was the tongue mesh on those first runs also? kinda looks like it in some of those photos.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

thanks for the clarification Sinner. Wonder why they made that change. Was the tongue mesh on those first runs also? kinda looks like it in some of those photos.

^ I'm not 100% sure as it was a while ago. As usual, with all trainers, will need confirmation from Wally...

^ I'm not 100% sure as it was a while ago. As usual, with all trainers, will need confirmation from Wally...

laugh.gif
yep. sinnerp and myself have had some great meaningless discussions on these sorts of things.

Many know about the production sample with separated toe piece.  That one made it's rounds as the key marketing piece in print and video. That one never materialized. Then we have the one with the piping. Nike would know more than me, but I am under the impression that the first production run of the air trainer high had the non separated toe piece and the tongue piping.
http://www.arkamix.com/vintage-nike/cross-training/nike-air-trainer-hi-1987
870103 production date

Later runs including 870911, 880103, 901012, and the 930507 had the seamless look that has become a staple for every single subsequent retro release. So I guess it would be somewhat like the Jordan X with the toe cap included on the first production run. I believe they were later changed per MJ's request, and a few of those remain out there today.

All of them appeared to have the same perf. leather tongue too.

With a retro, Nike could go all sorts of ways..
-What we've had over the last 10 years
-Separated toe piece WITH the tongue piping straight OG catalog status
-Or a combo of both

Lots of options for those guys at Nike retro.

One thing I'm unclear of is the quantity of 870103 that were made and if there were recalls and thats why a 870911 was produced. Or they just sold them all off. This shoe appeared to be running circles around jordans, right before Tinker released the AJ III. They were that "it" shoe before Tinkers true emergence at Nike.

So between the separated toe piece model that made its rounds in ads, to the first production run with the piping, and finally the model they stuck with, advertisements could feature any one of those three models.

laugh.gif
yep. sinnerp and myself have had some great meaningless discussions on these sorts of things.

Many know about the production sample with separated toe piece.  That one made it's rounds as the key marketing piece in print and video. That one never materialized. Then we have the one with the piping. Nike would know more than me, but I am under the impression that the first production run of the air trainer high had the non separated toe piece and the tongue piping.
http://www.arkamix.com/vintage-nike/cross-training/nike-air-trainer-hi-1987
870103 production date

Later runs including 870911, 880103, 901012, and the 930507 had the seamless look that has become a staple for every single subsequent retro release. So I guess it would be somewhat like the Jordan X with the toe cap included on the first production run. I believe they were later changed per MJ's request, and a few of those remain out there today.

All of them appeared to have the same perf. leather tongue too.

With a retro, Nike could go all sorts of ways..
-What we've had over the last 10 years
-Separated toe piece WITH the tongue piping straight OG catalog status
-Or a combo of both

Lots of options for those guys at Nike retro.

One thing I'm unclear of is the quantity of 870103 that were made and if there were recalls and thats why a 870911 was produced. Or they just sold them all off. This shoe appeared to be running circles around jordans, right before Tinker released the AJ III. They were that "it" shoe before Tinkers true emergence at Nike.

So between the separated toe piece model that made its rounds in ads, to the first production run with the piping, and finally the model they stuck with, advertisements could feature any one of those three models.

Back
Top Bottom