What's the best martial art for real life situations?

Muay Thai and BJJ, anyone who says the contrary probably hasn't trained in anything in real life. BJJ isn't about pulling off a flying armbar or heelhook, it's mostly about positioning and controlling your opponent regardless of size where then you can mount an offense of punches. Chokes are just icingon the cake. Muay Thai is also just ruthless.

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Me and a co-worker are looking to become police officers.
3300760405_46a64c64fc.jpg

Originally Posted by QueensFinest101

judo and kyokushin/ishin ryu/tradtional japanese karate/ thread.

seriously the japanese police dont use guns.

all they use is judo and most of them are also trained in karate.

my sensie says they really do some brutal training over there at the police academy, the japanese police actually popularized judo, they use to do japanese jiujitsu, but they held a compatition between ryu jiujitsu's best school and kano's new jijitsu ( now known as judo) to see which is more efficeint.. judo won 12 Ws 1 tie and 2 loss's

authentic karate not some fake or tiger schulmans
laugh.gif

muy thai and BJJ is sport, since i cross trained in all 4, i could say this without being biast.

and if you say muy thai is better then kyokushin, kyokushin champs crushed muy thai ones in k-1.. to much hype these kids have.

Muay Thai>shotokan>kyo
ive seen a video of what ur talking about, but it was leg sparring. not a REAL fight.
laugh.gif

OP go with muay thai once you train it.
your gonna know whats good
pimp.gif

Thanks for the responses so far. Really, I don't think I can go "wrong" with any particular one, especially since I have no self-defensetraining, so I'll benefit from anything. I'm gonna e-mail all the joints and see what's up in terms of pricing etc. There's a guy that teachesa class out of my gym. He's an ex-Iranian special forces, and he teaches a combo of Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and Kyokushin Karate. Obviously the mostconvenient, but I don't like how it's only striking and no takedowns.

In terms of what I'm most interested:
1a.) Krav Maga
1b.) Hapkido
3.) Muay Thai

In terms of what's closest and most convenient:
1.) Muay Thai
2.) Hapkido
3.) Krav Maga.

smh....

muay for street fighting. quicc beatdown with knees

watch the elite fighters in k-1 max

watch buakaw, masato and giorgio petrosyan
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by wildout4

probably boxing. definitely not BJJ.
indifferent.gif
Have you trained in BJJ? Please don'tcontribute anymore. BJJ emphasizes technique and leverage which gives even the smaller guy the skills to defend against a bigger guy. Even if you're notapplying a submission (arm bar, triangle, kimura, etc.), just getting into dominant positions allows you to control the fight and even get in some solid hitsthat can hurt or even knockout someone. Also, if you can choke somebody out, you can put them sleep without even throwing a punch.

Having done a very brief research on this thread because I thought it was pretty cool,

It seems to me that Krav Maga is what you want to learn for "street fights" and "hostage" type stuff.

This is NOT to say that ANY other martial arts doesn't work.
In fact, I'm sure that proficiency in anything such as Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai will be all you need to woop some butt.

Originally Posted by MC OTAKU

bjj is not good for multiple attckers.
that's why you should develop hands and legs to go along with it. which many stated

as an officer you will have one on one encounters more so than multiple suspects. BJJ is physically possible for almost anyone to get decent enough to defuse asituation.

esp if you're small framed individual. ...develop boxing skills and BJJ you good money.

just remember to be a hero when someone else's life is on the line and not just your own

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

OP Krav Manga IS NOT what you're looking for giving your particular situation.

Krav Manga teaches you to KILL your opponent in the quickest most effective way possible. Not defend yourself, not subdue, but neutralize a threat using any means possible. Targeting the testicles, throat, and pressure points are common practice.

Good luck staying on the force with that.

I'd go with a combination of striking and grappling martial arts. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and and Muy Thai are a great combination.

pimp.gif
pressure points, some fist of the north star shhh

Originally Posted by KiiidThrash

Originally Posted by QueensFinest101

judo and kyokushin/ishin ryu/tradtional japanese karate/ thread.

seriously the japanese police dont use guns.

all they use is judo and most of them are also trained in karate.

my sensie says they really do some brutal training over there at the police academy, the japanese police actually popularized judo, they use to do japanese jiujitsu, but they held a compatition between ryu jiujitsu's best school and kano's new jijitsu ( now known as judo) to see which is more efficeint.. judo won 12 Ws 1 tie and 2 loss's

authentic karate not some fake or tiger schulmans
laugh.gif

muy thai and BJJ is sport, since i cross trained in all 4, i could say this without being biast.

and if you say muy thai is better then kyokushin, kyokushin champs crushed muy thai ones in k-1.. to much hype these kids have.

Muay Thai>shotokan>kyo
ive seen a video of what ur talking about, but it was leg sparring. not a REAL fight.
laugh.gif

OP go with muay thai once you train it.
your gonna know whats good
pimp.gif

dude shotokan is for chumps, you obvouisly dont know what your talking about
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

machida... when i learned he trained in shotokan i was like how the hell did he pull that off, GSP trains in kyokushin buddy.. learn something

and a sparr.. andi destroyed the muy thai K-1 champion

and judo is WAY BETTER THEN BJJ in a practical situation learning how to throw or sweep/takedown someone to the ground ( which could end a fight alone) , thenlearning how to make him submit is so much more complete then doing these sloppy *%# rag tag take down by rushing in and knocking him against the octagon fence
roll.gif
.. learn your MA and stop following all this ufc hype. i made BJJpractioneers tap and straight won muy thai guys in sparring
laugh.gif

kimura destroyed helio gracie in a grappeling match.. and so did yoshida destory royce... every gracie claims there undefeated in BJJ they say BJJ, there notlieing.. most of them lose to judokas
laugh.gif

kyokushin met with muy thai 3 times, 1st thai got crushed, 2nd thai didnt show, 3rd thai got crushed.. even GSP is running his way through the ufc
roll.gif

edit: o wait here's another one

BJJ, there is no martial art better for self defense. BJJ emphasizes skill over strength or size, exactly what one would want in a situation where you need todefend yourself against ANYONE, no?

BJJ is ill equipped for weapon combat and Krav is just stripped down JKD by a different name. Its good for stopping random thugs on the street but someone withexperience with a blade will shred you up. They aren't going to allow you to do a simple wrist lock and disarm them.

JKD is the height of reality combat. Its a template that integrates the most effective elements of Thai boxing/kick boxing, Western boxing, BJJ andKali/Escrima (blade arts) as well as offensive handgun use to accommodate whatever situation an individual may come across.

You have a gun, pepper spray, billy club, a bunch of fellow officers that would love to beat the crap out of someone alongside you, and the ability to dowhatever the hell you want with little to no repercussions. I don't think you need to learn the art of how to kill people efficiently. You'll be fine,I promise.
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom