WHATS YOUR FIST PAIR OF JORDANS AND STORY BEHIND IT

14 first job called finishline back in 04 they had a size 12 white and green 4s they was only 105 so im like mom can u take me lol still got um nice and fresh

My very first pair of Jordans was the OG Grapes.

I remember having to plead with my moms to get them for me, because my dad had just got me a pair
of Reebok pumps to play ball in.

Those were the good old days. Damn I must be old.
grin.gif

JB, PLEASE bring it back.....
pimp.gif

air-jordan-5-grape-comparison-4.jpg

My very first pair of Jordans was the OG Grapes.

I remember having to plead with my moms to get them for me, because my dad had just got me a pair
of Reebok pumps to play ball in.

Those were the good old days. Damn I must be old.
grin.gif

JB, PLEASE bring it back.....
pimp.gif

air-jordan-5-grape-comparison-4.jpg

1991 Black/infrared VIs -I'd saved up to buy myself a pair of Reebok Pumps, but when I saw those Air Jordans I was blown away.

The best thing about those days was that they would still have the latest Jordans for months on end until the next CW/model came out. Even though we couldn't afford every pair, me & my friends would go to the shops every weekend & spend hours just trying on the latest Jordans, Pumps, Puma discs etc. all that good '90s tech wars stuff.

1991 Black/infrared VIs -I'd saved up to buy myself a pair of Reebok Pumps, but when I saw those Air Jordans I was blown away.

The best thing about those days was that they would still have the latest Jordans for months on end until the next CW/model came out. Even though we couldn't afford every pair, me & my friends would go to the shops every weekend & spend hours just trying on the latest Jordans, Pumps, Puma discs etc. all that good '90s tech wars stuff.

... Jordan Jumpman Pro I in black, royal and white back in 1997-98.  They aren't Air Jordan's to be exact but they were the first Non-Air Jordan shoe.  When I first saw them I was like "Wow, what are these?" They came out not too long after the XII line.  But the pickup didn't happen until my visit to the outlet, which I also picked up a royal blue and grey track suit as well. 

My first Air Jordan came a few months after and they were the first colorway of the XIII.  Too much sentimental memories.  They made me into a sneakerhead that time made me out to be.  My mom got them for me in Hong Kong, when at the time, I had a choice between THOSE and the white red pair (white red pair was cheaper because it was a less-sought after color).  Then the playoffs came out, I wanted those even more. 

... Jordan Jumpman Pro I in black, royal and white back in 1997-98.  They aren't Air Jordan's to be exact but they were the first Non-Air Jordan shoe.  When I first saw them I was like "Wow, what are these?" They came out not too long after the XII line.  But the pickup didn't happen until my visit to the outlet, which I also picked up a royal blue and grey track suit as well. 

My first Air Jordan came a few months after and they were the first colorway of the XIII.  Too much sentimental memories.  They made me into a sneakerhead that time made me out to be.  My mom got them for me in Hong Kong, when at the time, I had a choice between THOSE and the white red pair (white red pair was cheaper because it was a less-sought after color).  Then the playoffs came out, I wanted those even more. 

Jordan XIII white/true red - black back in 97 with my own hard earned money. It was on sale for $99.00 CDN.

was going to pick up XI concord for $99.00 but the sales person at FTL said that the other pair was missing. found out later on that one of the workers had it on hold. Then looked at the XII's for $99.00 at Champs but the other pair was missing as well.
This is the reason why I ended up with the XIII's. Only if they had the other pair for the other ones that I looked at. I would've copped all 3.

Jordan XIII white/true red - black back in 97 with my own hard earned money. It was on sale for $99.00 CDN.

was going to pick up XI concord for $99.00 but the sales person at FTL said that the other pair was missing. found out later on that one of the workers had it on hold. Then looked at the XII's for $99.00 at Champs but the other pair was missing as well.
This is the reason why I ended up with the XIII's. Only if they had the other pair for the other ones that I looked at. I would've copped all 3.

my first pair was the Black/Red XII's. me and my brother had them, and we copped Space Jam on VHS that night!! JORDAN HEADS!
happy.gif

my first pair was the Black/Red XII's. me and my brother had them, and we copped Space Jam on VHS that night!! JORDAN HEADS!
happy.gif

My first pair of Jordans were the black/metallic V's. My dad gave me the money to put that and a Bulls Starter Jacket on layaway.
A week later, for my birthday, my mom gave me the rest of the money to get them off layaway. Didn't get the jacket though. Instead,
along with the shoes, I opted to use the remaining money to get me and my younger brother each a hat.

Also, as I was purchasing the shoes, my stepmother was going into labor and had my youngest brother a couple hours later. Loved the shoes
but he was an even better gift.

My first pair of Jordans were the black/metallic V's. My dad gave me the money to put that and a Bulls Starter Jacket on layaway.
A week later, for my birthday, my mom gave me the rest of the money to get them off layaway. Didn't get the jacket though. Instead,
along with the shoes, I opted to use the remaining money to get me and my younger brother each a hat.

Also, as I was purchasing the shoes, my stepmother was going into labor and had my youngest brother a couple hours later. Loved the shoes
but he was an even better gift.

Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

Same shoes I started with.  Well....actually, I had finally saved up enough money with my first job for the white/fire red Vs, but only had them for a week or 2 before the VIs came out, so I returned them for the black/infrareds (and therefore, don't really count the Vs).  I had begged my dad to buy me a pair of AJs for years prior to getting them with my own money, but he wouldn't hear of it.  It was not exactly widely accepted to pay $125+ for gym shoes back then.  I had been watching a lot of MJ/bball during those prior years, too, but had never played the game myself.  Wearing those shoes encouraged me to try one day, and I became obsessed with the sport ever since.  I was already 16 at the time, but I made up for a lot of lost time over the next couple of years, playing hours on end in the summer, and wherever I could squeeze time in during the school year.  Other than the first few weeks that I owned the VIs, I wore my Jordans strictly for basketball from that point on.  New pairs were used only for indoor courts until they were too worn out to perform well.  Then they'd be retired to outdoor blacktop use.  I still follow this formula to this day.  But the VIs will always be extra special to me because they marked the first year I could afford to buy a pair for myself, as well as the start of my relationship with hoops, which became a safe haven for me from some things I was dealing with in my life at that time.

The best thing about those days was that they would still have the latest Jordans for months on end until the next CW/model came out.
I remember this well.  That's why it's so annoying when I see noobs comment about how such and such shoe "sat on shelves" back in the day, as if they weren't popular.  EVERY AJ was available in abundance back then.  They were so grossly mass produced that despite the huge demand, the supply always exceeded the demand.  Every year, you could find the last AJs on clearance as stores tried to clear the way for the new models.  This included everything considered holy grails today.  The only time I had some trouble obtaining a pair was when the black/red playoff XIs came out.  Just about every store around me got one shipment of them in except for a few of the Footlockers, which got a 2nd shipment in a few days after RD.  Other than that, you could still waltz into a store and snag a pair of any AJs a year after their release without a problem.

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

First pair was the OG playoff VII's (raptors, I guess). Got them at JC Penny on sale cause the VIII's were already out or just about to come out, and they were like $79 or something like that. (JC Penny used to carry HEAT back in the day. Any Jordans, Pippens, Air Maxes, Barkley's could be copped there.)
Yes!!!  And they'd run sales often was the best part!  JCPenney was the reason I got a pair of the Xs for something stupid like $55.  They had them marked down to something crazy like $80 fairly soon after they were released, and back then, SportMart had something like a 150% price guarantee.  So after they called to verify the price at Penney's, they were forced to sell it to me for around $55.  Honestly, I'm glad that's all I paid for them because they were the biggest piles of crap I ever stepped in.  Took like 3 or 4 months for them to be useless on the court vs. the 8 - 12 months every pair of AJs prior to that lasted me.

Same shoes I started with.  Well....actually, I had finally saved up enough money with my first job for the white/fire red Vs, but only had them for a week or 2 before the VIs came out, so I returned them for the black/infrareds (and therefore, don't really count the Vs).  I had begged my dad to buy me a pair of AJs for years prior to getting them with my own money, but he wouldn't hear of it.  It was not exactly widely accepted to pay $125+ for gym shoes back then.  I had been watching a lot of MJ/bball during those prior years, too, but had never played the game myself.  Wearing those shoes encouraged me to try one day, and I became obsessed with the sport ever since.  I was already 16 at the time, but I made up for a lot of lost time over the next couple of years, playing hours on end in the summer, and wherever I could squeeze time in during the school year.  Other than the first few weeks that I owned the VIs, I wore my Jordans strictly for basketball from that point on.  New pairs were used only for indoor courts until they were too worn out to perform well.  Then they'd be retired to outdoor blacktop use.  I still follow this formula to this day.  But the VIs will always be extra special to me because they marked the first year I could afford to buy a pair for myself, as well as the start of my relationship with hoops, which became a safe haven for me from some things I was dealing with in my life at that time.

The best thing about those days was that they would still have the latest Jordans for months on end until the next CW/model came out.
I remember this well.  That's why it's so annoying when I see noobs comment about how such and such shoe "sat on shelves" back in the day, as if they weren't popular.  EVERY AJ was available in abundance back then.  They were so grossly mass produced that despite the huge demand, the supply always exceeded the demand.  Every year, you could find the last AJs on clearance as stores tried to clear the way for the new models.  This included everything considered holy grails today.  The only time I had some trouble obtaining a pair was when the black/red playoff XIs came out.  Just about every store around me got one shipment of them in except for a few of the Footlockers, which got a 2nd shipment in a few days after RD.  Other than that, you could still waltz into a store and snag a pair of any AJs a year after their release without a problem.

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

First pair was the OG playoff VII's (raptors, I guess). Got them at JC Penny on sale cause the VIII's were already out or just about to come out, and they were like $79 or something like that. (JC Penny used to carry HEAT back in the day. Any Jordans, Pippens, Air Maxes, Barkley's could be copped there.)
Yes!!!  And they'd run sales often was the best part!  JCPenney was the reason I got a pair of the Xs for something stupid like $55.  They had them marked down to something crazy like $80 fairly soon after they were released, and back then, SportMart had something like a 150% price guarantee.  So after they called to verify the price at Penney's, they were forced to sell it to me for around $55.  Honestly, I'm glad that's all I paid for them because they were the biggest piles of crap I ever stepped in.  Took like 3 or 4 months for them to be useless on the court vs. the 8 - 12 months every pair of AJs prior to that lasted me.

Reading through some of these post's makes me realize just how young most of NT acutally is, and how old I'm getting
grin.gif
...Not saying that in a bad way just pointing out an observation...

At any rate here is my story...Super long so sit down and relax...

Little Background first...When I was a youngster we were allowed to purchase a new pair of shoes three times a year, for the start of the school year, for Christmas, and for easter...No more than that...

That being said let's rewind to the back to school time in 1990...I was starting 4th grade and I wanted what everybody was hyping up at the time, a pair of Reebok Pump Twilight Zones...The ones with the neon green color blocking...Anyway we headed to the Footlocker over inside the Boulevard Mall (Las Vegas Heads what's up) to get me this shoe and when we got there I imidiatelly walked over to them while my mom spoke with an employee to get me sized...While we were waiting my dad comes strolling over, after disappearing into the store, with a pair of the white / black / fire red Air Jordan V's...Dad ended up talking me into getting the V's because, as he said, Mike was the business...

Those however were not the shoes that really got me classified as a Jordan / Shoe fiend...Ended up getting the Twilight Zone Reebok's for Christmas that year and for the follow up I got a pair of the Black VI's...Now the VI's I just wore the hell out of through 91' and all the way into 92' opting for my back to school shoes be be a pair of Vans era's for that following school year...Still was not a shoe head though and just basically made my purchases at the time I walked into the store...Was really more concerned with what was playing at the movies, playing a game of Basketball, or hot footing it to a neighborhood sports card shop to look at what I couldn't afford to buy...

Fast Forward a little bit...

Back in the summer of 92' my boy's brother picked up a pair of the Bordeaux VII's and and when he broke them out and showed them to us we knew we just had to get some.  My boy and myself felt all dejected because all we had were our beat down VI's and we were dying for a pair of these.  Of course when I hit my mom and dad up they said no way.  New shoes were only for the start of the school year, Christmas, and Easter...

Back to school that year and it was time to purchase my new shoes...Of course the Bordeaux was the pair I wanted...Headed to the Footlocker over in the Boulevard mall again and guess what...they didn't have this colorway...I Hit up the Dillard's, JCPenny, and finally the Sports Authority that were in same area and could not find this colorway anywhere...Ended up getting the Black / Red colorway instead...Don't get me wrong I loved the Black / Red colorway but they still took second place in my mind behind the Bordeaux's...

So basically the V's were my first pair of Jordan's and may well have planted the seeds for what would be my sneaker obsession...But the Bordeaux VII was really the pair that kick started that obsession in a big way...From that point on it was all about getting the new Jordan's each year...

Reading through some of these post's makes me realize just how young most of NT acutally is, and how old I'm getting
grin.gif
...Not saying that in a bad way just pointing out an observation...

At any rate here is my story...Super long so sit down and relax...

Little Background first...When I was a youngster we were allowed to purchase a new pair of shoes three times a year, for the start of the school year, for Christmas, and for easter...No more than that...

That being said let's rewind to the back to school time in 1990...I was starting 4th grade and I wanted what everybody was hyping up at the time, a pair of Reebok Pump Twilight Zones...The ones with the neon green color blocking...Anyway we headed to the Footlocker over inside the Boulevard Mall (Las Vegas Heads what's up) to get me this shoe and when we got there I imidiatelly walked over to them while my mom spoke with an employee to get me sized...While we were waiting my dad comes strolling over, after disappearing into the store, with a pair of the white / black / fire red Air Jordan V's...Dad ended up talking me into getting the V's because, as he said, Mike was the business...

Those however were not the shoes that really got me classified as a Jordan / Shoe fiend...Ended up getting the Twilight Zone Reebok's for Christmas that year and for the follow up I got a pair of the Black VI's...Now the VI's I just wore the hell out of through 91' and all the way into 92' opting for my back to school shoes be be a pair of Vans era's for that following school year...Still was not a shoe head though and just basically made my purchases at the time I walked into the store...Was really more concerned with what was playing at the movies, playing a game of Basketball, or hot footing it to a neighborhood sports card shop to look at what I couldn't afford to buy...

Fast Forward a little bit...

Back in the summer of 92' my boy's brother picked up a pair of the Bordeaux VII's and and when he broke them out and showed them to us we knew we just had to get some.  My boy and myself felt all dejected because all we had were our beat down VI's and we were dying for a pair of these.  Of course when I hit my mom and dad up they said no way.  New shoes were only for the start of the school year, Christmas, and Easter...

Back to school that year and it was time to purchase my new shoes...Of course the Bordeaux was the pair I wanted...Headed to the Footlocker over in the Boulevard mall again and guess what...they didn't have this colorway...I Hit up the Dillard's, JCPenny, and finally the Sports Authority that were in same area and could not find this colorway anywhere...Ended up getting the Black / Red colorway instead...Don't get me wrong I loved the Black / Red colorway but they still took second place in my mind behind the Bordeaux's...

So basically the V's were my first pair of Jordan's and may well have planted the seeds for what would be my sneaker obsession...But the Bordeaux VII was really the pair that kick started that obsession in a big way...From that point on it was all about getting the new Jordan's each year...

Never had Jordan's in the late 80's early 90's. Raised by my grandmother who thought spending over $19.99 on a pair of shoes WAS INSANE! LOL. When my cousin moved in in 1994, i got my first taste. I put on his size 12 retro 1's (even though they didn't fit, I tried my best walking around the house in them, haha). Fast foward to 1998, graduating from 8th grade, my cousin gave me his OG Flint XIII's. So I guess you can say my first pair was hand-me-down XIII's. Didn't really fit into them until I was a sophmore in high school.

The very first pair I bought myself were the White Cement IV's..i beat those to death in high school. still have those beaters sitting around the house somewhere with the air bubble sticking out.
laugh.gif

Never had Jordan's in the late 80's early 90's. Raised by my grandmother who thought spending over $19.99 on a pair of shoes WAS INSANE! LOL. When my cousin moved in in 1994, i got my first taste. I put on his size 12 retro 1's (even though they didn't fit, I tried my best walking around the house in them, haha). Fast foward to 1998, graduating from 8th grade, my cousin gave me his OG Flint XIII's. So I guess you can say my first pair was hand-me-down XIII's. Didn't really fit into them until I was a sophmore in high school.

The very first pair I bought myself were the White Cement IV's..i beat those to death in high school. still have those beaters sitting around the house somewhere with the air bubble sticking out.
laugh.gif

June 12, 1999, i turned 11 that day and i wanted some basketball shoes, we go to the mall and i see the sickest jays i had ever seen
14's Indiglo/black... that green made the shoe pop off
i will never forget wore them everywhere even elemenetary school culmination.. never knew what happened to them, miss them dearly!!
tired.gif

June 12, 1999, i turned 11 that day and i wanted some basketball shoes, we go to the mall and i see the sickest jays i had ever seen
14's Indiglo/black... that green made the shoe pop off
i will never forget wore them everywhere even elemenetary school culmination.. never knew what happened to them, miss them dearly!!
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom