What's your side hustle NT? 2019 edition.

As I get better at photography, I want to turn it into a side hustle

I always tried to get my nephew into more as a money maker. He was really good at photography, but just used the photos to post on IG and other website. Now he's given it up completely, pretty much.

I always told him there is a market for taking pictures of families / people's kids / pets. Take some pics of a friends kids, have them post it on Facebook or wherever and all the moms would be coming out of the woodwork asking how to get similar shots taken of their own kids. Charge something like $50 per session to start, and start building up a client base. His Sony A6000 even had bluetooth or wifi, so he could take the photo - beam it to his phone, and email / dropbox it to the "customer" within a minute or 2. PayPal of Venmo for the cash, boom - make $50 or whatever in 30 minutes of work.

For my wedding, we paid like $4k+ for our wedding photographer. She worked her *** off and had an assistant, and had tons of lenses and cameras so it isn't all profit - but 2 Saturdays a month could be a lot of extra cash, especially if it is a side hustle.

Right now mostly Python, Ruby and SQL but at my old job I ****ed heavily with nodejs and did a bunch of React as my hobby

Is it possible to learn that type of stuff on your own? Like through freecodecamp Twitter etc?

I'm trying to get more involved in data but don't know where to start really. I'd say I'm fairly advanced at Excel and can build MS Access queries, but not actual coding experience

Is it possible to learn that type of stuff on your own? Like through freecodecamp Twitter etc?

I'm trying to get more involved in data but don't know where to start really. I'd say I'm fairly advanced at Excel and can build MS Access queries, but not actual coding experience

You can literally learn how to do whatever you want using the repository of near-infinite knowledge known as the Internet

Some people go the traditional 4 year college route, some people just come up with programming in their family so they know it all their lives, some people are 100% self-taught, some people do coding "bootcamps" which are becoming more and more popular.

I did a 10 week bootcamp 1.5 years ago and luckily I'm a quick learner so I flourished. There are also resources such as Code Academy (Google it) that are immensely intuitive and accessible

also try W3Schools (Google it)

P.S: if you don't know how to use Google you will never succeed as a programmer

You can literally learn how to do whatever you want using the repository of near-infinite knowledge known as the Internet

Some people go the traditional 4 year college route, some people just come up with programming in their family so they know it all their lives, some people are 100% self-taught, some people do coding "bootcamps" which are becoming more and more popular.

I did a 10 week bootcamp 1.5 years ago and luckily I'm a quick learner so I flourished. There are also resources such as Code Academy (Google it) that are immensely intuitive and accessible

also try W3Schools (Google it)

P.S: if you don't know how to use Google you will never succeed as a programmer

**** I use Google like crazy. And I have been trying to learn a few things while at my desk (engineer). Joined a group at work to start learning Tableua and Alteryx.

Reached out to a person on Twitter about learning the basics of coding and she sent me this link

https://internetingishard.com/

And suggested freecodecamp.org

Also looked into different certificates such as for AWS, like this blog mentions

http://blog.keheira.com/certs/one-week-out/

Even wondered if something like this would help understand the basics

As I get better at photography, I want to turn it into a side hustle
Fixed
I always tried to get my nephew into more as a money maker. He was really good at photography, but just used the photos to post on IG and other website. Now he's given it up completely, pretty much.

I always told him there is a market for taking pictures of families / people's kids / pets. Take some pics of a friends kids, have them post it on Facebook or wherever and all the moms would be coming out of the woodwork asking how to get similar shots taken of their own kids. Charge something like $50 per session to start, and start building up a client base. His Sony A6000 even had bluetooth or wifi, so he could take the photo - beam it to his phone, and email / dropbox it to the "customer" within a minute or 2. PayPal of Venmo for the cash, boom - make $50 or whatever in 30 minutes of work.

For my wedding, we paid like $4k+ for our wedding photographer. She worked her *** off and had an assistant, and had tons of lenses and cameras so it isn't all profit - but 2 Saturdays a month could be a lot of extra cash, especially if it is a side hustle.
So much this.

My wife did this some years back. Learned off of YouTube and other free online resources. One of her homies that was a photographer gave her a free lil dinky camera. She to that joint and went to weerrrrk.

I'm unemployed and we literally eating off her bookings b. She was going ham for two years, had my son strapped to her back on most shoots lol. She did the damn thang. She only stopped cus she got pregnant again. I started working getting better pay, we switched states and she said moved in to other things. She still got old clients calling her, asking when we visiting the state so they can get a session in.

Bro, there's alot of photographers out there, but there alot more customers. Don't wait to receive it. Go get it.

**** I use Google like crazy. And I have been trying to learn a few things while at my desk (engineer). Joined a group at work to start learning Tableua and Alteryx.

Reached out to a person on Twitter about learning the basics of coding and she sent me this link

https://internetingishard.com/

And suggested freecodecamp.org

Also looked into different certificates such as for AWS, like this blog mentions

http://blog.keheira.com/certs/one-week-out/

Even wondered if something like this would help understand the basics

I wouldn't pay for anything right now if I were just starting out. That first website seems really cool

Too many free resources out there that will get your feet wet and help you understand whether or not you actually like doing it

If you don't enjoy doing it you won't get anywhere trust me

If you're an artist, I urge you to take a class or watch a good tutorial on Photoshop(Illustrator). There can be good money made if you wanna freelance on the side. It's fairly easy to learn if you somewhat computer savvy and detail-minded.

To create what?
Anything you want. You can make wallpaper for cellphones/PCs and sell to apps, logos/advertisment, web design, typography, etc. Whatever your skill is in art(sketching, cartoonist, painter, design, etc.), If you can replicate that on a PC/Mac, you can advertise that skill, especially if you want to freelance. Photoshop is one of the most comprehensive tools you can utilize to help you transition over, not to mention it's a market standard. I know too many skilled artists that don't do anything with it other than fill their sketchbooks, not that it's a problem. But if you're somewhat talented, or at least interested in learning useful skills, learn photoshop or illustrator.

Fixed

So much this.

My wife did this some years back. Learned off of YouTube and other free online resources. One of her homies that was a photographer gave her a free lil dinky camera. She to that joint and went to weerrrrk.

I'm unemployed and we literally eating off her bookings b. She was going ham for two years, had my son strapped to her back on most shoots lol. She did the damn thang. She only stopped cus she got pregnant again. I started working getting better pay, we switched states and she said moved in to other things. She still got old clients calling her, asking when we visiting the state so they can get a session in.

Bro, there's alot of photographers out there, but there alot more customers. Don't wait to receive it. Go get it.
I don't know what it is, but people love female photographers. Maybe they come off as being more warm, open-minded, more attentive, patient. But I think sometimes guys can come off as know-it-alls. Hopefully she gets back into it(if she likes the work), because around my area, they seem to make more money.

Anything you want. You can make wallpaper for cellphones/PCs and sell to apps, logos/advertisment, web design, typography, etc. Whatever your skill is in art(sketching, cartoonist, painter, design, etc.), If you can replicate that on a PC/Mac, you can advertise that skill, especially if you want to freelance. Photoshop is one of the most comprehensive tools you can utilize to help you transition over, not to mention it's a market standard. I know too many skilled artists that don't do anything with it other than fill their sketchbooks, not that it's a problem. But if you're somewhat talented, or at least interested in learning useful skills, learn photoshop or illustrator.

Selling where? I have an iPad and use the ProCreate app to create shirt designs for my Amazon Merch account. Looking for other avenues to create / sell

Selling where? I have an iPad and use the ProCreate app to create shirt designs for my Amazon Merch account. Looking for other avenues to create / sell
For me personally, I sell some of my digital art to multiple wallpaper apps. I have a friend that puts his art on Instagram and lands gigs designing logos/ads/cover art. I have a few more that landed web design positions through deviant art artwork alone. Even had some co-workers that design for companies and people based off of their instagram work. I think your best bet is too get familiar with the photoshop suite, thean start putting your work on social media so you can 1)network with other artist 2)snag clients that are drawn to your work or would like to negotiate a price you guys can agree upon. Of course, the more talented or skillful you are, the more clients would bite. If you see yourself as a good illustrator/designer, get yourself a drawing tablet and with familiarity with Photoshop, you can make a portfolio quickly to send off to various companies looking for designers.

I know this is long-winded answer to your question, but to simplify things:
-Learn Photoshop
-Transition from non digital art by using a drawing tablet, Illustrator/Photoshop or just learn Illustrator/Photoshop alone and get acclimated.
-Once you thing your ready, either get your portfolio ready OR put your work out on social media(at this point I started sending my work out to different app developers through email or google drive).

This most likely wouldn't be a quick road to take, but if you're an artist that considers yourself decently talented, do yourself a favor and learn the photoshop suite(or at least gimp). You'll expand your potential client base and most importantly, step into the modern art industry.

It's interesting I stumbled on this page talking about photography.

Actually thinking of taking a photojournalism course if I can maneuver my job to pay for it.

It will fuel my artistic side and also help grow my small business.

And if they do pay, upon completion, I'm jumping straight into an MBA program lol.

Plow snow, if it’s not snowing you don’t work but if you got a snowy month you can make guap. Easiest money you’ll ever make.

:lol: probably is the owner.

I don’t know anything about him, never even seen him. I show up to work when it snows write down my hours and he pays me. :lol:

all I care about.

It's interesting I stumbled on this page talking about photography.

Actually thinking of taking a photojournalism course if I can maneuver my job to pay for it.

It will fuel my artistic side and also help grow my small business.

And if they do pay, upon completion, I'm jumping straight into an MBA program lol.

Did photography as a side gig for the better part of 2013 - 2018. Stopped since my most recent job pays me well enough to no longer have to do it.

Having a good grip on photography fundamentals is IMO key since most clients won't have a real since of what they want and how they want it done. Lighting & posing (if doing non-event photography) fundamentals can literally carry you through most jobs. Engagements, graduations, "modeling" are common requests I got when I had my gig.

Picking up something like lightroom will also get your brand of photography more recognized (and justify a higher $$$) to potential clients.

Like home said earlier, i was getting paid $25 a gig when i first started but from 2016 - 2018 i was charging at minimum 300 an hour and was getting folks reaching out. Utilizing social media too is obviously key and being a great people person

Back
Top Bottom