Where My NT Accountants At? Vol. CPA

So you can become a CPA by taking and passing all four parts of the test with no degree? So if you bust your @%% studying for the test while working with a tax company like jackson hewitt for a couple of years you can get on at a big firm since they look for experience the most? Or do you have to be sponsored by a company to take the test?

So you can become a CPA by taking and passing all four parts of the test with no degree? So if you bust your @%% studying for the test while working with a tax company like jackson hewitt for a couple of years you can get on at a big firm since they look for experience the most? Or do you have to be sponsored by a company to take the test?

Big 4 would rather hire the cheap college grads that will work like indentured servants for little money. I did it. It was hellz, but I got my experience. Best of luck to the peeps still there.

Big 4 would rather hire the cheap college grads that will work like indentured servants for little money. I did it. It was hellz, but I got my experience. Best of luck to the peeps still there.

You need certain education requirements... As far as I know at least. They vary by state.

You need certain education requirements... As far as I know at least. They vary by state.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

i used becker. can't say if it was better or not than bisk, but coworkers that tried both seem to prefer becker.

as far as multiple tests in the same window...it's tough because they usually black out the last month each window (not sure if they still do). but it's doable, you just need to really be organized and stick to a schedule. that said, i never tried do it. i took an exam each quarter in 2008 and knocked em out that way.

and lastly, listen to lazyj...he knows what's up. i hate big 4 life right now...but for different reasons
laugh.gif

Man, can you give me some inputs for Big 4 recruiting please? I'm going to be a senior but I'm going to be a fifth year senior to fulfill the academic requirements for the CPA exam. I am doing Info Systems with Accounting to get those credits. What tips can you give me man and I am definitely not just stuck on the Big 4 I would def work for smaller regional firms as they are awesome as well. There's just one firm out of the Big 4 that I really want to get into....

i used becker. can't say if it was better or not than bisk, but coworkers that tried both seem to prefer becker.

as far as multiple tests in the same window...it's tough because they usually black out the last month each window (not sure if they still do). but it's doable, you just need to really be organized and stick to a schedule. that said, i never tried do it. i took an exam each quarter in 2008 and knocked em out that way.

and lastly, listen to lazyj...he knows what's up. i hate big 4 life right now...but for different reasons
laugh.gif

Man, can you give me some inputs for Big 4 recruiting please? I'm going to be a senior but I'm going to be a fifth year senior to fulfill the academic requirements for the CPA exam. I am doing Info Systems with Accounting to get those credits. What tips can you give me man and I am definitely not just stuck on the Big 4 I would def work for smaller regional firms as they are awesome as well. There's just one firm out of the Big 4 that I really want to get into....

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 2muchJayStyle

Crumbs- we exactly the same.. Graduated from St. John's (Queens) in May '09
i still ain't pass the Exam yet.. but regardless of change we're Grandfathered in.. so don't worry

But im dying for some experience in the mean time while im tryin' 2 pass all 4 parts...
Ya'll in some good spots help a Brother out..

Tobin College of Business whatup. MST 2011. Did you do 5yr or 4yr since you graduated before the cutoff. I got my gig through career center.  I just got my grade for my audit case today too Fitzsimons lol

Originally Posted by 2muchJayStyle

Crumbs- we exactly the same.. Graduated from St. John's (Queens) in May '09
i still ain't pass the Exam yet.. but regardless of change we're Grandfathered in.. so don't worry

But im dying for some experience in the mean time while im tryin' 2 pass all 4 parts...
Ya'll in some good spots help a Brother out..

Tobin College of Business whatup. MST 2011. Did you do 5yr or 4yr since you graduated before the cutoff. I got my gig through career center.  I just got my grade for my audit case today too Fitzsimons lol

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Why cuz you travel all the damn time and accordingly live with your parents?
laugh.gif
winner winner chicken dinner...FML

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I second that.  I work at KPMG and my life is hell.  2 years and counting.  Got promoted and i want to get the hell out.  Passed my exams, but need the audit hours because I work in Tax.  I've contemplated many days of switching professions.  Honestly, big 4 is just a name because in actuality so many things are gone through review and rushed through that you learn how to do excel rather than accounting.  Anyone else care to rant? 

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Why cuz you travel all the damn time and accordingly live with your parents?
laugh.gif
winner winner chicken dinner...FML

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I second that.  I work at KPMG and my life is hell.  2 years and counting.  Got promoted and i want to get the hell out.  Passed my exams, but need the audit hours because I work in Tax.  I've contemplated many days of switching professions.  Honestly, big 4 is just a name because in actuality so many things are gone through review and rushed through that you learn how to do excel rather than accounting.  Anyone else care to rant? 

laugh.gif
Shed some more light on Big 4. What am I getting into 
laugh.gif
 I start as an associate next fall for one of the 4. I have to sign my offer letter soon. I worked 830 til 8 today as an intern yayyyyyy

laugh.gif
Shed some more light on Big 4. What am I getting into 
laugh.gif
 I start as an associate next fall for one of the 4. I have to sign my offer letter soon. I worked 830 til 8 today as an intern yayyyyyy

I've known people inside of the big 4 who didn't do public engagements. Privately held real estate partnerships, some smaller REITS and even some lease expense audits (think of a big building managed by Cushaman Wakefield for instance).

The luck of the draw and your market ultimately dictate who and what you're going to be working on. Your desire, drive, goals, motivation, and engagement team dictates everything else.

Some of you need to read goingconcern.com
Lots of people asking similar questions in similar positions as you. Another good resource.

I've known people inside of the big 4 who didn't do public engagements. Privately held real estate partnerships, some smaller REITS and even some lease expense audits (think of a big building managed by Cushaman Wakefield for instance).

The luck of the draw and your market ultimately dictate who and what you're going to be working on. Your desire, drive, goals, motivation, and engagement team dictates everything else.

Some of you need to read goingconcern.com
Lots of people asking similar questions in similar positions as you. Another good resource.

I'm currently a part time commercial credit analyst/portfolio analyst at regional credit union in Michigan while going to school right now. I'm majoring in Accounting & Finance. I want to get my CPA and I'm going to do my MSA right after my undergrad. I eventually want to break in the Real Estate IBanking/reit industry. My question is at firms do you have the choice to choose which industry or practice group you want to join? Also have any of you worked at Plante Moran or any of the other midwest regional firms?

I'm currently a part time commercial credit analyst/portfolio analyst at regional credit union in Michigan while going to school right now. I'm majoring in Accounting & Finance. I want to get my CPA and I'm going to do my MSA right after my undergrad. I eventually want to break in the Real Estate IBanking/reit industry. My question is at firms do you have the choice to choose which industry or practice group you want to join? Also have any of you worked at Plante Moran or any of the other midwest regional firms?

Real estate is a lot easier to break into versus investment banking. I'm not familiar with the firm you posted but I think Reznick does a ton of real estate.

Real estate is a lot easier to break into versus investment banking. I'm not familiar with the firm you posted but I think Reznick does a ton of real estate.

Originally Posted by cguy610

3 hrs until my score on FAR posts. This wait is terrible.
YEEAHHH BABY!!!!

84 on FAR.  One more part left (REG).  Right on track to have this baby over by 11/31. 

Back
Top Bottom