WHO declares Monkeypox outbreak a global emergency

Crazy how 'Murica is leading the world in COVID and now Monkeypox.
What the hell is going on over here?

Simply put capitalism, corporations actually ruling the government, and the disregard of morals/human decency.

Wish You We’re Here - Travis Scott

Was finally gonna make my trip to NY for the first time now this. Been trying to get there for 2 plus years and every ****ing time I get a real chance something puts it on hold. This monkeypox may have me more shook than covid

Crazy how 'Murica is leading the world in COVID and now Monkeypox.
What the hell is going on over here?
Well our country has completely given up on even basic quarantine measures and it’s completely up businesses if they or their staff practice any form of social distance or wfh practices.

Basically outside of some people wearing masks people are acting like it’s precovid.

And that's not even mentioning the racism, hate crimes, and nationalism growing
The growing extremism is a reaction to government officials' inability (or unwillingness) to respond to the pandemic in a way that is directly felt by the population.

You look at the PPP fraud that went on (75% of the money disbursed by the US government didn't not end up in workers' pockets), and you can't be surprised that people are more drastic in their demands and the means to achieve them.

I wish we would elect legislators by looking at how well they understand that government is a complex organism whose response depends on what we put in (in terms of resources and policies), and not by considering whether we can have them over for beer and BBQ.

The growing extremism is a reaction to government officials' inability (or unwillingness) to respond to the pandemic in a way that is directly felt by the population.

You look at the PPP fraud that went on (75% of the money disbursed by the US government didn't not end up in workers' pockets), and you can't be surprised that people are more drastic in their demands and the means to achieve them.

I wish we would elect legislators by looking at how well they understand that government is a complex organism whose response depends on what we put in (in terms of resources and policies), and not by considering whether we can have them over for beer and BBQ.

It wasn't directly felt by the population?

The unemployment rate has basically recovered.
Those who were unemployed got enhanced EI benefits some times exceeding their work pay.
and everyone got stimulus checks.

the economic recovery has been pretty fast, way way faster than the great recession

it seems to me people are feeling it.

anyone complaining about not "feeling it" seems like they might just be confused.

So does this Monkeypox vaccine give you full immunity, meaning you can't catch it? Or is it like the Covid vaccine's "protection" and not full immunity?

So does this Monkeypox vaccine give you full immunity, meaning you can't catch it? Or is it like the Covid vaccine's "protection" and not full immunity?

AFAIK, these are smallpox vaccines that also supposedly provide protection against monkeypox, as well as treatment when administered soon after exposure. Direct efficacy against MPX infection is something that I haven't seen posted anywhere. These vaccines were neither given (at least in large enough numbers) nor studied (to the best of my knowledge) in African countries where MPX has been endemic, which would have been an ideal use to help eradicate the virus long ago.

It wasn't directly felt by the population?

The unemployment rate has basically recovered.
Those who were unemployed got enhanced EI benefits some times exceeding their work pay.
and everyone got stimulus checks.

the economic recovery has been pretty fast, way way faster than the great recession

it seems to me people are feeling it.

anyone complaining about not "feeling it" seems like they might just be confused.

The price of energy and utilities has doubled or tripled nationwide over the last two years. Same with the price of food staples; while we are seeing the price of some essentials come down, the same is not true for the majority of necessities. In the meantime, wages have gone up, but not enough to offset the general increase in cost of living. Initially, the US government issued a total of $1600 in direct assistance + $300 per month per qualifying child to counter the impact of the pandemic (the child credit ended up slashing child poverty by 30% and only lasted 6 months because of a single senator).

The COVID-related rental assistance programs have notoriously accepted very few of those who needed the help (in 2021, only 11% of the money allocated to help renters ended up where it was supposed to go), and the supreme court ended the ban on evictions during the pandemic.

This is the kind of direct help I'm talking about. The current stats are great, they look good, but how did/does that translate into help for the most vulnerable? How much protection did those who incurred loss of socioeconomic stability because of the pandemic get in order for them to enjoy the economic recovery? Because it's those who don't have much to lose who are more willing to turn the system on its head.

We're talking about two different segments of the population. I'm referring to Conservatives blaming the current administration for things it can't control such the economy, supply chain issues, various other COVID issues and politicizing by blaming Democrats instead of seeing it as a worldwide issue that everyone is facing.

The price of energy and utilities has doubled or tripled nationwide over the last two years. Same with the price of food staples; while we are seeing the price of some essentials come down, the same is not true for the majority of necessities. In the meantime, wages have gone up, but not enough to offset the general increase in cost of living. Initially, the US government issued a total of $1600 in direct assistance + $300 per month per qualifying child to counter the impact of the pandemic (the child credit ended up slashing child poverty by 30% and only lasted 6 months because of a single senator).
i mean yes inflation has increased.
but if anything that means there was too much stimulus and not too little.

people got lot's of covid relief but supply hasn't recovered as fast as people's bank accounts.

and while yah sure it's unfortunate the child tax credit
that's a separate question than from whether the covid relief was "felt"

The COVID-related rental assistance programs have notoriously accepted very few of those who needed the help (in 2021, only 11% of the money allocated to help renters ended up where it was supposed to go), and the supreme court ended the ban on evictions during the pandemic.

pretty sure rental prices plummeted in major metros during the pandemic.
The eviction moratorium lasted from march 2020 to august 2021.

people got stimulus, checks bumped up EI, and rental prices were falling during the pandemic.

yah the moratorium ended, but like over a year of moratorium seems pretty good.
and

if you had gotten evicted during the pandemic good chance you could have gotten a nice unit for cheaper

it seems to me there are lots of things to complain about in the housing market.
Lack of covid relief is not one of them.

This is the kind of direct help I'm talking about. The current stats are great, they look good, but how did/does that translate into help for the most vulnerable? How much protection did those who incurred loss of socioeconomic stability because of the pandemic get in order for them to enjoy the economic recovery? Because it's those who don't have much to lose who are more willing to turn the system on its head.

I dunno it seems like they got a lot.
if you lost your job as a low income you prob got EI greater than your income
and two stimulus checks.

and rental prices were falling.

and you got an eviction moratorium that lasted over a year.

that's a lot of support for any country, let alone a country with a generally stingy welfare state.

pretty sure rental prices plummeted in major metros during the pandemic.
The eviction moratorium lasted from march 2020 to august 2021.

people got stimulus, checks bumped up EI, and rental prices were falling during the pandemic.

yah the moratorium ended, but like over a year of moratorium seems pretty good.
and

if you had gotten evicted during the pandemic good chance you could have gotten a nice unit for cheaper

it seems to me there are lots of things to complain about in the housing market.
Lack of covid relief is not one of them.
- I have other issues with your post but I will focus on this because it is a really bad argument

Rents in metros dropped in mid to late 2020, they were spiking in 2021. Rental prices are measured in new available rentals. Not on current leases. With high occupancy, and landlords passing on losses to other renters if someone got evicted after the memorandum they would enter rental markets with higher prices than before the pandemic, and with a massive black scare on them that would make getting a new rental extremely difficult. One average they would be worse off, not better.

Rent.PNG

Landlords not participating in the rental assistance program and states horrible rollout, are things worth complaining about

-I am sure when people were getting Covid assistance they felt the government helping but people hate inflation, inflation is historically high, it is squeezing people and that is coloring their view on the economy and the government's responses to it. But the economics around inflation is something people a) Don't understand b) Hate when it is explained to them

And when we talk about too much stimulus let us remember that businesses got way more than the average joe. Yes giving people checks contributed but it is a compound effect of all the stimuli given to everyone. If we had a time machine, the overspending on corporations is probably the thing that should be pulled back first.

Last edited:
With biden getting blamed for everything, I get anxiety thinking about the next presidential election and who the democrats can even nominate that can win. I know biden only wanted one term anyway but no idea who they’re preparing to be next.

Back
Top Bottom