WHO declares Monkeypox outbreak a global emergency

Treatment is good, but vaccine is what's really going to get this thing under control. Word is, there won't be enough of the vaccine for everyone who wants it for a long time. We can't even get another shipment for at least a month, and even then it won't be until at least 2023 before consistent supplies will be available. This seems to have been obvious to anyone paying attention who understood that once we stopped vaccinating against smallpox, we were left with a growing immunity gap against the rest of this family of viruses. Nobody had the foresight to understand and attempt to eradicate the virus where it was endemic in Africa before it eventually spread around the globe. Hindsight, as usual.

So let me get this straight...our generation isn't vaccinated against smallpox because boomers were vaccinated and pretty much eradicated the disease here in the sates (or around the world)?
BUT young kids have gotten a new chickenpox vaccine and that's why chicken pox isn't common like it used to be back in the early 90's for school children?
Meaning people around 30-40 years old aren't vaxxed against small pox or chicken pox thus being more susceptible to orthopox viruses?

So let me get this straight...our generation isn't vaccinated against smallpox because boomers were vaccinated and pretty much eradicated the disease here in the sates (or around the world)?
BUT young kids have gotten a new chickenpox vaccine and that's why chicken pox isn't common like it used to be back in the early 90's for school children?
Meaning people around 30-40 years old aren't vaxxed against small pox or chicken pox thus being more susceptible to orthopox viruses?
I'm not sure if you're asking if there's any cross-reactivity between the chickenpox vaccine and monkeypox, but the answer is no.

This year might get a flu shot, Covid booster, and Monkeypox vaccine

cocktail-tom-(1).gif

I need to ask my job if I'm supposed to get this vaccine. I want all the vaccines. I'll probably get covid boosted again during the fall. NO CHANCES.

Is there some sort of tracker or chart showing the spread of monkeypox compared to the spread of COVID? Curious as to which one has spread faster in the same amount of time since the first case in the U.S.

Is there some sort of tracker or chart showing the spread of monkeypox compared to the spread of COVID? Curious as to which one has spread faster in the same amount of time since the first case in the U.S.

100% COVID not even close. Then again alot more monkeypox cases will never be caught because people will assume it's a rash or no big deal, in combination with the fact that most dermatologists and/or PCP's have never seen it before and will misdiagnose. I've heard test positivity in many areas is over 30%, indicating a high degree of community spread and not enough testing capacity. Many cases are being missed.

Back
Top Bottom