WHO declares Monkeypox outbreak a global emergency

- I have other issues with your post but I will focus on this because it is a really bad argument

Rents in metros dropped in mid to late 2020, they were spiking in 2021. Rental prices are measured in new available rentals. Not on current leases. With high occupancy, and landlords passing on losses to other renters if someone got evicted after the memorandum they would enter rental markets with higher prices than before the pandemic, and with a massive black scare on them that would make getting a new rental extremely difficult. One average they would be worse off, not better.

okay granted,

my point is not so much that the US response was perfect. it certainly was not.
and the insistence on delegating things to states, seems like a uniquely american sickness

ultimately all I'm saying is it seems like in terms of support the US was relatively generous.

and while the rollout may have been chaotic or inefficient.
i think tracing political extremism to lack of covid support imo seems like a stretch.

okay granted,

my point is not so much that the US response was perfect. it certainly was not.
and the insistence on delegating things to states, seems like a uniquely american sickness

ultimately all I'm saying is it seems like in terms of support the US was relatively generous.

and while the rollout may have been chaotic or inefficient.
i think tracing political extremism to lack of covid support imo seems like a stretch.
Fair enough, I agree that I don't see the covid relief attached to the rise in extremism. I think it is an example of economic policy that might lower it.

I think the extremism argument works on a macro level, looking at a long period of time. Conservatives undermining state capacity, the administrative state, and sabotaging state governments combing with the Dems being caught flat-footed routinely, not rising to the occasion has created a situation, and their complicity in areas, is where people lose trust in government and it creates marks for extremists to attract to their cause. And our electoral system is horrible and it empowers bad actors.

The loss of union jobs in the midwest has definitely led to a lot of white dudes warming up to white nationalist strong men. On the left people see they have electoral majorities but the inability to turn that into policy is making people reactionary.

But half of our government is filled with psychos trying to sabotage it, so it slows down the good, gridlocks the regular stuff, and makes the missteps even worse.

Congress approval rankings are abysmal but saw a bump with the stimulus flowing. So it is an example of the opposite effect. If more people truly felt their government would come to their recuse whenever they need it, they would not be looking for alternatives

We're talking about two different segments of the population. I'm referring to Conservatives blaming the current administration for things it can't control such the economy, supply chain issues, various other COVID issues and politicizing by blaming Democrats instead of seeing it as a worldwide issue that everyone is facing.
I won't disagree with you on how Conservatives are disingenuous in trying to paint the current administration as responsible for everything that is happening today.

My observation on the relationship between political ineffectiveness and extremism wasn't specific to the US; I was just talking about why extremist ideas become popular.

I think the extremism argument works on a macro level, looking at a long period of time. Conservatives undermining state capacity, the administrative state, and sabotaging state governments combing with the Dems being caught flat-footed routinely, not rising to the occasion has created a situation, and their complicity in areas, is where people lose trust in government and it creates marks for extremists to attract to their cause.

On the left people see they have electoral majorities but the inability to turn that into policy is making people reactionary.

Thanks for spelling it out.

It's still baffling to me that blisters and herps-like rash on your face isn't enough for some of these dumb far-right wingers to believe in science.

These rednecks do meth. They are perfectly fine with their face looking all jacked up. At least now we can truly treat them like lepers if they refuse to take simple health precautions.

Last edited:
TOMI Environmental's SteraMist Provides Protection Against Monkeypox and Other Pathogens As World Combats Increasing Frequency of Outbreaks

had a kid come through the EC with monkey pox

oh and update after i brought up the monkey pox issue to my leaders, the safety officer sent out a powerpoint to inform everyone what to do in case of exposure and whatnot. :smokin
it's basically the same PPE for covid. gloves, gown, n-95 etc
the pictures they sent out were horrific
what's wild is if you actually get infected, not just exposed, we have to isolate for 4-8 weeks. i can't imagine 2 months of painful isolation.

TOMI Environmental's SteraMist Provides Protection Against Monkeypox and Other Pathogens As World Combats Increasing Frequency of Outbreaks
Interesting.

How safe is this thing for people in spaces like offices and homes?

I have some experience with vaporized hydrogen peroxide (isolators), and during the decontamination process, measures are always taken to contain the vapors within the decontamination area and away from people, as vhp is not safe.

How about not suggesting that potentially endemic diseases can be summoned at will by Democrats?

what a goofy lady.

ultimately it seems really really unlikely that monkeypox is going to lead to any lockdowns or mandates.

so thankfully I don't think it really matters what right wing cranks thinks.

The lesson I think in all of this, is it's really foolish for rich countries to think they can just ignore and not care

about viruses that are endemic in poorer countries.

Thoughts on another potential lockdown?

i mean unless there is some really dramatic mutations/changes in the status quo
there isn't going to be a lockdown for monkeypox.

unless you meant like a sex party lockdown,
but that would be pretty hard to enforce.

The lesson I think in all of this, is it's really foolish for rich countries to think they can just ignore and not care

about viruses that are endemic in poorer countries.
Very true.

At the same time, there needs to be a real discussion in African countries about medicine, public health, and the myths that surround them.

Folks want to continue eating vipers and pangolins because of tradition, and then they wonder why they catch some weird ****.

according to what we know right now sex between men is the main driver of transmission.

so if you are worried about going some place or doing something, in regards to mokey pox.
the first question you should ask yourself is

do I plan to have sex with people at this place?
and is the person I plan on having sex with a man?

it's not to be funny, it's the rationale thing to ask yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom