Who else is afraid to unDS their kicks

for me, it's like, I copped the Fire Red 3's last year and thought "FINALLY! I can rock these bad boys", the day i put them on, went out for like 2 hours, CRACKED! now i know this happens alot and is common, however ever since then I just can't bring myself to wearing any shoes i have from 08 or 06, like I just got the Aqua 8's recently, still DS. I just know they will crack if i wear them, so im keeping them DS for a while, so they can stay beautiful just a little longer.

I'm planning on restoring the FR3's, then rocking em like cray, my absolute favorite shoe, wish i had like 70 pairs

I guess what it comes down to that I feel that most people who don't wear their shoes are more concerned with their "value" than anything else. Those people often tell themselves and others lies to obscure that, but actions speak louder than words.
And, on the value issue, I don't even fully get that either. You don't want to wear a $160 retail shoe because in its present state it is worth $250 or something. And, if you wear it, it is only worth closer to retail or slightly above on the open market.
Well said.  You just said exactly what I was thinking.  It's the re-seller mentality.  Buy a shoe not because you really want that shoe in your collection, or so you can rock it.  Buy it so you can try flipping it for $25-50.  Even the hottest releases, ie Concords, you're only going to flip it for $100 profit.  Get a real job!

As far as unDSing shoes, sadly I have a hard time doing it with my favorites.  I love the fresh smell, clean soles, especially when they're icy.  I still have my 2009 Space Jams sitting in a box, with not a single hint of yellow.  I dont know when the right time is to wear them.  I cant un-DS just to walk around a mall or take the wife out.  Most of my Jordans I dont care about unDSing, I make sure they are very clean at all times.  It's just my faves (Space Jams, Cherry 12's, Red Suede 21's) that I can't do it.  One of the main reasons for me, is knowing that if they get jacked up, etc, the cost to replace them is crazy.

Well said.  You just said exactly what I was thinking.  It's the re-seller mentality.  Buy a shoe not because you really want that shoe in your collection, or so you can rock it.  Buy it so you can try flipping it for $25-50.  Even the hottest releases, ie Concords, you're only going to flip it for $100 profit.  Get a real job!

As far as unDSing shoes, sadly I have a hard time doing it with my favorites.  I love the fresh smell, clean soles, especially when they're icy.  I still have my 2009 Space Jams sitting in a box, with not a single hint of yellow.  I dont know when the right time is to wear them.  I cant un-DS just to walk around a mall or take the wife out.  Most of my Jordans I dont care about unDSing, I make sure they are very clean at all times.  It's just my faves (Space Jams, Cherry 12's, Red Suede 21's) that I can't do it.  One of the main reasons for me, is knowing that if they get jacked up, etc, the cost to replace them is crazy.
That is such a brash statement to make when people have listed their reasons they don't want to unDS. You two are acting like we are resellers. Like I said, the only reason value has anything to do with it, is because I dont want to have to spend $350+ to buy a shoe I tore apart

The moral of the story is always if you're going to buy the shoes, wear them. They are shoes that are meant to be worn. With Nike/JB's cost cutting methods, I wouldn't be surprised if shoes used up 40% less glue or something along those lines which lead to them deteriorating quick. You see what they did with the glue on the SJ's, CG's, Concords from the past few years, all the pods are yellowing because the put a certain glue on them. You think that was a mistake? They want you to buy their shoe every year it comes out...

Just wear them and enjoy the shoes you spent your hard earned money on. And if anything, they will retro within the next 5 years.

I think I fall into this category now. I use to be much better at wearing my kicks, but then I went thru a serious doubling phase. Now that I'm older and don't see the point n doubling in as much due to work I rarely wear my jays I still get almost everything I want but rarely rock anything. The only two shoes from this yet I UN-ds'd were the WC4 and some hurrache frees. I finally got around to wearing my cherry 12s but I'm legit scared to UN-DS my space jams (and they yellowing) smh.

why waste the money on buying them if your not gonna wear them? Just to say you have them? whats the point of that/ I hate this new generation its your fault the sneaker game was ruined

Some of the replies in this thread... :smh:

I can see not getting around to wearing some shoes or wanting to hold off for a bit during that first wave of everyone having the same shoe, but honestly if you're doing this whole shoe thing for anyone but yourself then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

I have a bunch of shoes that are sitting around DS due to dressing up M-F which has caused me to trim some of the fat if you will out of my collection. No more doubles unless it's for trade bait or to hold a pair for my boy who wears the same size as me. Nowadays it's almost like Christmas everytime I get to break a fresh pair out. I'd rather wear them than to just have them go to waste.

Now I need to disappear from this thread. Giving up on chicks, looking to impress males, I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or do both at the same time...

Took me a year to unDS my OG XI Breds, but I don't regret doing it.  Still have yet to unDS a pair of OG XII Breds though. 

why waste the money on buying them if your not gonna wear them? Just to say you have them? whats the point of that/ I hate this new generation its your fault the sneaker game was ruined
woah woah there bud. lets not blame people for having more dough than you and having the money to collect sneakers. Theres nothing wrong with having a collection... Hell, people collect toys and they get nothing from it. But they like to collect em. Thats the point

Afraid is the wrong word for some folks....it all depends why you bought them in the first place. Some bought for function, some bought for fashion, some bought for investment.....some bought to collect.

Some of the replies in this thread... :smh:
I can see not getting around to wearing some shoes or wanting to hold off for a bit during that first wave of everyone having the same shoe, but honestly if you're doing this whole shoe thing for anyone but yourself then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.
I have a bunch of shoes that are sitting around DS due to dressing up M-F which has caused me to trim some of the fat if you will out of my collection. No more doubles unless it's for trade bait or to hold a pair for my boy who wears the same size as me. Nowadays it's almost like Christmas everytime I get to break a fresh pair out. I'd rather wear them than to just have them go to waste.
Now I need to disappear from this thread. Giving up on chicks, looking to impress males, I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or do both at the same time...
lol, this is my own thread. YOU get out. I don't question your lifestyle choices. I'm sure you are just a stud, playa, bosshog, G, but I aint. Cry about it if you must. You are just here to show off your high horse. But fact of the matter is you have a bunch of DS kicks too. I start my M-F job soon, and in busy season I will be working 7 days a week. I won't use your lame *** excuse because you can change after you get back. Go away with your ****.

I dont care if you laugh or cry. We understand, your excuse is sooooooo much better than ours. Even tho anyone who truly wanted to wear theirs would change to their comfort/street clothes when they get home, like everyone else.

Last edited:
lol, this is my own thread. YOU get out. I don't question your lifestyle choices. I'm sure you are just a stud, playa, bosshog, G, but I aint. Cry about it if you must. You are just here to show off your high horse. But fact of the matter is you have a bunch of DS kicks too. I start my M-F job soon, and in busy season I will be working 7 days a week. I won't use your lame *** excuse because you can change after you get back. Go away with your ****.
I dont care if you laugh or cry. We understand, your excuse is sooooooo much better than ours. Even tho anyone who truly wanted to wear theirs would change to their comfort/street clothes when they get home, like everyone else.

[quote name="Zero23" url="/t/501997/who-else-is-afraid-to-unds-their-kicks/150#post_16100428']You see what they did with the glue on the SJ's, CG's, Concords from the past few years, all the pods are yellowing because the put a certain glue on them. You think that was a mistake? They want you to buy their shoe every year it comes out..[/quote]

Naw I don't think so. JB has it's faults & of course they would like you to buy every release they put out, but it's not like they retro specific colorways annually. I'd say it's simply cost cutting.

Last edited:
I understand that some people collect sneakers.

That ALSO, it NOT being "afraid" to wear them.

But, I still don't understand the idea of being afraid to "ruin" them and then have to spend a ton to replace them.

First of all, what do you do to "ruin" them? I assume most of you have lots of sneakers, right? I don't "take care" of my sneakers at all, basically. I don't clean them unless I actually spill something on them or step in dog crap or something. I wear them deep into drunken evenings, whatever. Then they go back in their box. Yeah - they are worn, but they still look fine - most of y'all would try to call them VNDS if you were selling them.

So, how much wear do you have to give something before you need to replace it? I couldn't give a pair that amount of wear before it retros again if I tried, given the size of my collection (and I'm sure I'm not the only one here with a huge collection). So, what gives?

By the time you really NEED a new pair, they'll have retro-ed again. They're all easily replaceable.

And, frankly, (sorry if I'm getting on my high horse) - saving things like the recent Concords? pssh. Those a plastic pieces of crap. There's nothing special to them in need of being saved. If I can wear my OGs freely knowing that something like is much, much closer to irreplaceable, then you don't need to wait for your backstage meet and great with Kanye to break out your re-re-retros.

[quote name="Zero23" url="/t/501997/who-else-is-afraid-to-unds-their-kicks/150#post_16100428"You see what they did with the glue on the SJ's, CG's, Concords from the past few years, all the pods are yellowing because the put a certain glue on them. You think that was a mistake? They want you to buy their shoe every year it comes out...

Naw I don't think so. Of course JB would like you to buy every release they put out, but it's not like they retro specific colorways annually. I'd say it's simply cost cutting.[/quote]
Fam, you forgot to quote my part about cost cutting above that statement. "[color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]With Nike/JB's cost cutting methods, I wouldn't be surprised if shoes used up 40% less glue or something along those lines which lead to them deteriorating quick."[/color]

There's no other Nike shoe with an icy sole that has the yellowing glue problems that the XI's have. My 2 extra pairs of SJ's from 09 look so funky, if they dropped again this year, I would off those two in a heartbeat and buy two more. Again, getting me to buy two more of the same shoe, when I thought I stocked up and was done with SJ's for life. At the end of the day, I bought 3 SJ's in 09 and I would end up buying 2 more just because I would off the others in the resale market. Total pairs bought, 5 when I would have wanted 3....

Back
Top Bottom