Who was bigger when they were in the very prime of there career?

It's 50... and it's not even close.

50 revolutionized the mixtape game.

He made the mixtape game what it is today... a source to get your material out there and be heard hoping to eventually get put on.

Before 50 came through with that mixtape crap it was DJ Clue that really started that using mixtape method... when Canibus was in his prime he also was the one that I first started seeing cats going on the Ave looking to buy a mixtape he was featured on.

But, both Clue and Canibus never really messed with it hard... well Clue did, but 50 took the mixtape hustle to a new height.

I guess mixtapes back then were like the blogs and social media of today because that's how we found out and heard new music.

Those Hot 97 vol 1-70 were heavily bought too... that series was like the hood "Now that's what I call music"

Also, as to what ninjahood is saying about JR Writer being favored over Wayne... yo deadass it's true.

I know this dude ninjahood be coming through with the outlandishness, but there was a time when JR Writer was more favored than Lil Wayne... I'm not talking by a little either I'm talking messing with JR over Wayne heavy.

I'm not saying JR career or whatever is better than Wayne's but there was a time when JR was crushing Wayne and was way more respected than he was.

In his hayday JR had some nasty punchlines.

I know Wayne wasn't hitting up north around that time, but I really can't fathom JR Writer being bigger than Wayne in any way between 02-05. Wayne still had hits then, but of course not like later on. JR may have been poppin in NY, but there wasn't a peep of him down here. Cam and Juelz was a whole different story though, everybody was feeling them, and that's definitely when Wayne started to jack their style and run with it.

I don't get some of the arguments in here.

People saying 50 was bigger because Wayne has a strong base of people who were annoyed by him. He was annoying because he was so damn huge.

How many times have you heard someone say "Damn 50 is everywhere, I'm sick of his face and his voice on every hot song"? Now replace 50 with Wayne. How many times have you heard that?
You make a good point. But I feel like the reason Wayne seems to be "everywhere" is mainly because of the rise of social media. These days there are so many avenues for pop culture to be pushed on us, and Wayne has taken advantage of that to somehow manipulate the public into appointing him as the current 'face' of rap music. It's not his music that's everywhere, it's his image. His (crappy) music is just an accessory to his image.

With 50 though, it was his MUSIC that people were excited about. I specifically remember one day back in the summer of '03 or '04, it was hot as hell and I was in my cousin's car scrolling through channels on the radio, I must have heard In Da Club 15-20 times that day. There were 5 hip-hop/top 40 stations in the area at that time, and there was actually a point where all 5 stations were playing In Da Club simultaneously.. I remember saying to myself "Wow.. I'm going to remember this moment years from now"

50 sold 10 million physical copies.. at no point have there ever been 10 million people who would have physically went out to buy a Lil Wayne album.

This cant be real....
mean.gif
Come on Ninjahood REALLY?

cats in here love to think they know everything...when this video dropped, wayne was basically non existent

in da tri-state era, and 50 cent wit da rest of g-unit was RUNNING NYC & da rest of music along with dipset & d-block mixtapes

taking over da tristate JUELZ SANTANA was even in front of lil wayne..look at weezy's swag in da video, this was before da rock era jim

& juelz did and weezy was about to jack da dipset's swag like he did money from philly.
And there is the point, THE TRI STATE AREA. Dipset may have extended past there, but it was only the larger artists, the flunkys like JR, 40 Cal, and Hell Rell had no buzz outside of the tri state. JR Writer was never hotter than Wayne at any point, you act like he wasnt putting out Gold/Plat albums before he transitioned into Tha Carter.

You could make a case for Cam Jimmy or Juelz but JR Writer? REALLY? Come on B you cant be serious.

My mom bought GRODT and she doesnt even like voilent rap yet she bumped that album heavy.

Last edited:
Ninja really said Lloyd Banks had a bigger prime than Wayne...My man really has never left the Heights or DR :smh:

this isnt a fair fight....50 cent was a phenomenon back in that throw back jersey era. i remember i was in cancun on spring break at fat tuesdays and they played GRODT front to back....and noone complained..i have never seen that happen before.

50 was so hot that buck when platinum..and yayo sold over 200k out the gate...and yayo cant even put a bar together...that C3 run for wayne was incredible, but it wasnt like 50's. He reformated mixtapes, executing ja rule and lived up to the unrealistic hype.

He made the mixtape game what it is today... a source to get your material out there and be heard hoping to eventually get put on.
Before 50 came through with that mixtape crap it was DJ Clue that really started that using mixtape method... when Canibus was in his prime he also was the one that I first started seeing cats going on the Ave looking to buy a mixtape he was featured on.
But, both Clue and Canibus never really messed with it hard... well Clue did, but 50 took the mixtape hustle to a new height.
I guess mixtapes back then were like the blogs and social media of today because that's how we found out and heard new music.
Those Hot 97 vol 1-70 were heavily bought too... that series was like the hood "Now that's what I call music"
Also, as to what ninjahood is saying about JR Writer being favored over Wayne... yo deadass it's true.
I know this dude ninjahood be coming through with the outlandishness, but there was a time when JR Writer was more favored than Lil Wayne... I'm not talking by a little either I'm talking messing with JR over Wayne heavy.
I'm not saying JR career or whatever is better than Wayne's but there was a time when JR was crushing Wayne and was way more respected than he was.

I'm a dipset stan fam.......... At NO point was J.R ever known outside of the dipset faction. Sure the hoods in NYC was ****** with J.R heavy but outside of that no. If you wanna argue Juelz than yes him and wayne were neck for neck up until around 06-07.

But J.R Writer lmfaoooo.... This was after wayne already made his switch with C1/Squad up tapes and dudes started to heavily F with him.

I'm a dipset stan fam.......... At NO point was J.R ever known outside of the dipset faction. Sure the hoods in NYC was ****** with J.R heavy but outside of that no. If you wanna argue Juelz than yes him and wayne were neck for neck up until around 06-07.
But J.R Writer lmfaoooo.... This was after wayne already made his switch with C1/Squad up tapes and dudes started to heavily F with him.
not even this bro. :lol:
y'all are really wildin'. **** NY we're talking about big in the country and the world.
Lil from Carter II was bigger than anyone in Dipset not named Camron, and in 06 bigger than all of them, then 07 - now one of the biggest in the game. period.

not even this bro. :lol:
y'all are really wildin'. **** NY we're talking about big in the country and the world.
Lil from Carter II was bigger than anyone in Dipset not named Camron, and in 06 bigger than all of them, then 07 - now one of the biggest in the game. period.

Nah sorry i can't really agree with that. 06 Juelz was just as big if not bigger than wayne. He had the major smash records he was doing all the features, he was crushing all his mixtapes etc etc.

they were both doing similar numbers (Platinum Artist), Juelz changed the way rap artist & Fans directly started dressing with that rockstar ****, and him and wayne were at the exact same spot and were enhancing eachother (Whether people wanna admit it or not ICFMF is one of the projects that helped create the buzz he would absolutely slaughter the hame with for the next two years)

Wayne was hot at the time but off the heels of hustler music, and that ish with robin Thicke he still wasn't on that 50, Jay, EM plateau.... In the coming year he released literally hundreds of free verses and became the wayne we know today

Nah sorry i can't really agree with that. 06 Juelz was just as big if not bigger than wayne. He had the major smash records he was doing all the features, he was crushing all his mixtapes etc etc.
they were both doing similar numbers (Platinum Artist), Juelz changed the way rap artist & Fans directly started dressing with that rockstar ****, and him and wayne were at the exact same spot and were enhancing eachother (Whether people wanna admit it or not ICFMF is one of the projects that helped create the buzz he would absolutely slaughter the hame with for the next two years)
Wayne was hot at the time but off the heels of hustler music, and that ish with robin Thicke he still wasn't on that 50, Jay, EM plateau.... In the coming year he released literally hundreds of free verses and became the wayne we know today
Okay i'll give you '06.
that's it though...as you said....after that it was over.

Man I'm telling you guys around when JR Writer dropped I believe it was Writer's Block 2 he was buzzing more than Wayne was.

I remember the music section in here wouldn't even lend there ears to Wayne, but though Writer was going to blow up :smh:

I know I can't be the only one that remember this.

I'm in no way a dipset fan... I only know a few of their songs that were hits on the radio, but I was never into their movement I thought they were garbage with that nursery rhyme BS... get computers puting :smh: :stoneface:

Maybe I'm remembering things wrong, but like I said there was a time when JR > Wayne... especially on here in the music section.

Your thought process on this gotta be the music forum only in whichcase OFCOURSE they would say J.R Hotter than Weezy (Although at that time i think JR bar for bar was close) In the real world however it was never a close case. J.R came out in the height of dipset buzz and did like 100k all together

Juelz was hotter/bigger than Lil Wayne at one point. Thats a fact. I think some of ya'll think Lil Wayne has been hot his whole career. He was in the game but he wasn't always hot.

That Dipset wave was crazy. Juelz was the #2 man behind Cam. Juelz was marketable. He had his own style with the repeat raps, he had the bandana, he was part of a winning team, and the ladies loved that boy.

Human crack :nerd:

Man I'm telling you guys around when JR Writer dropped I believe it was Writer's Block 2 he was buzzing more than Wayne was.

I remember the music section in here wouldn't even lend there ears to Wayne, but though Writer was going to blow up :smh:
I know I can't be the only one that remember this.
I'm in no way a dipset fan... I only know a few of their songs that were hits on the radio, but I was never into their movement I thought they were garbage with that nursery rhyme BS... get computers puting :smh: :stoneface:
Maybe I'm remembering things wrong, but like I said there was a time when JR > Wayne... especially on here in the music section.

Then that must mean JR was poppin more than Wayne 100% :lol:

At no point was JR ever hotter than Wayne. Juelz on the other hand, you could make a case for that. Juelz was on, and right around that time is when him & Wayne started linkingt up, and Wayne dropped his crip colors for blood rags, jacked a lot more of Dipset's style and ran with it.

^^^

Agreed. And I'm a born and bred New Yorker.

:lol: at the level of delusion it must take to believe that JR Writer was ever, in any respect, on Wayne's level.

**** all that. Avy check? :nerd:

Its too bad OP didnt create this as a poll......

In my opinion, this isnt even close. 50's prime was waaayyy bigger than Waynes. I would almost even go as far as saying 50's prime is in the top 3 all time.

-One of the greatest HH albums of all time
-HUGE clothing line
-shoe line
-Formula 50 Vitamin Water
-Movie

Yeah, its really not close. 50 > Wayne when speaking of primes.

Last edited:
not even this bro.
laugh.gif

umm jim jones went damn near platinum on koch records with we fly high...dipset as a WHOLE was bigger then lil wayne,

da carter II lil wayne was completely ignored in NY, meanwhile g-unit was GLOBAL. lil wayne is still a nobody internationally.

I know Wayne wasn't hitting up north around that time, but I really can't fathom JR Writer being bigger than Wayne in any way between 02-05. Wayne still had hits then, but of course not like later on. JR may have been poppin in NY, but there wasn't a peep of him down here
JR writer used to get on primetime wit flex & cam'ron on hot97 and wrap non-stop for 10 mins LIGHT.

before twitter, before facebook, even before myspace, that boy had da tristate area on SMASH.

da mixtapes that you BOUGHT back then would display his lyrical acume, and da game was STILL all about "how good were you rapping"

instead of "how swagged out you are"

da hot97 mixtape vol. were where you got da commerical tracks, and CLUE, slay, big mike, g-unit radios, dipset, d-bloc/ruffryder tapes

is what ruled da landscape.

during those times, JR writer was a bigger artist then Lil wayne. ya forgot when cash money was in da middle of da backlash and lost

all of their artist? cmon...lil wayne came out with 500 degreez going GOLD and fabolous, juelz santana, bankz, going platinum+

had wrtier's first album been as heat as writer's block series, and not drop during da rapidshare sophistication era he would've sold more
[table][tr][th=""]Chart (2006)[/th][th=""]Peak
position[/th][/tr][tr][td]Billboard 200[/td][td]25[/td][/tr][tr][td]Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums[/td][td]2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Billboard Top Rap Albums[/td][td]2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Billboard Independent Albums[/td][td]2[/td][/tr][/table]
i mean it was da second highest debut during it release, when music sales went off a cliff, and his album was independent on koch, so those

were fantastic numbers for a indie.

Back
Top Bottom