Why did I not know about the Black Wall Street massacre until two days ago?

Bravelude = @RunningFishy

Dude got banned on that SN for making a racist Obama joke in some political thread on here. After plenty of other suspect ****.

Only a matter of time before he gets caught slipping again...IDGAF.

PSars.jpg

All makes sense now. These lames need to be IP banned.

Young black man not be taught history is a truthful manner?

Not being shown history that empowers him... Instead of reducing his starting point in life to the moment he stepped off the boat?

That means its working, bruh.

Word, it's like that Immortal Technique song. "I hate it when they tell us how far we came to be, As if our people's history started with slavery."

I didn't learn about it in HS but I learned about it in college.

There's a lot of stuff they don't teach you in school. You have to go out and learn it yourself sometimes.

shrug.
Yup eyes got opened when i needed to fullfil a history credit my first year

Registered kinda late so i just threw myself in what i thought was some random class i didnt eem care bout 

Ended taking an African history class. One of the best mistakes ever

Unless you in AP HS History, Or college, you only gon learn bout MLK, and Harriet

Hell they wont even really teach about Malcolm cause its way to raw

I took AP in high school and the timeline still started in the 1500's-1600's ish.

I get so heated when I think about how ****** up this country has treated us
And just expects us to "get over it"

I don't think "get over it" and ESPECIALLY don't think you should EVER forget it. But don't let the history hold you back.

I'll use you as an example. I've had various conversations with you on here and what I've come to think of you is a responsible, hard working, cool dude. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to over come obstacles and succeed.

Great thread though guys, I've heard about Black Wall Street but never really learned about it. Thanks for the enlightenment :pimp:

But word up, in middle school, we briefly skimmed over Carver and it was just about him creating Peanut Butter.

I mentor a class of teenage young men at a local YMCA.
For their weekly lesson I told them to research Black Wall Street and we will discuss it next week.
After that I'm going to introduce them to Robert Kiyosakis cash flow quadrant.

. Senate passes bill requiring teaching of Tulsa Race Riot history

http://m.tulsaworld.com/news/govern...3b4-64b8-5520-ab81-6472c493a2c1.html?mode=jqm

. BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau | Updated Sep 30, 2013

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Senate passed a measure Thursday that would require high schools in the state to teach students about the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921.

Senate Bill 1381 by Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre, D-Tulsa, and Rep. Jabar Shumate, D-Tulsa, passed by a vote of 33-6 and now heads to the House.

"School districts shall ensure that information concerning the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921 is presented in high school courses in U.S. history or Oklahoma history," the bill states.

The measure would be effective July 1. McIntyre said no cost would be associated with it.

Tricia Pemberton, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Education, said information about the race riot is already being taught.

"It is the standard required by the state Department of Education, which has the effect of law," she said in an email.

The state has required the topic in Oklahoma history classes since 2000 and in U.S. history classes since 2004. It has been in Oklahoma history books since 2009, according to the agency.

McIntyre said she brought measure to the Legislature because the topic sometimes is omitted in the classroom.

"It has been an option," she said. "A lot don't teach it."

Sen. Josh Brecheen, R-Coalgate, was among the six lawmakers voting against the measure.

He said he was taught about the Tulsa Race Riot in Oklahoma history.

"We are already teaching it in schools," Brecheen said. "My question is why do we need to run a mandate to force it?"

He said he was concerned that the issue was being politicized.

"And the politically correct vote would have been to vote in favor of it," Brecheen said. "And I just think we as a society have to move away with what is politically correct on these issues."

The Tulsa Race Riot resulted in dozens of deaths, hundreds of injuries and the destruction of most of Tulsa's black Greenwood district.

"It teaches us about how far hatred can go," McIntyre said.

. Senate passes bill requiring teaching of Tulsa Race Riot history

http://m.tulsaworld.com/news/govern...3b4-64b8-5520-ab81-6472c493a2c1.html?mode=jqm

. BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau | Updated Sep 30, 2013

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Senate passed a measure Thursday that would require high schools in the state to teach students about the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921.

Senate Bill 1381 by Sen. Judy Eason McIntyre, D-Tulsa, and Rep. Jabar Shumate, D-Tulsa, passed by a vote of 33-6 and now heads to the House.

"School districts shall ensure that information concerning the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921 is presented in high school courses in U.S. history or Oklahoma history," the bill states.

The measure would be effective July 1. McIntyre said no cost would be associated with it.

Tricia Pemberton, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Education, said information about the race riot is already being taught.

"It is the standard required by the state Department of Education, which has the effect of law," she said in an email.

The state has required the topic in Oklahoma history classes since 2000 and in U.S. history classes since 2004. It has been in Oklahoma history books since 2009, according to the agency.

McIntyre said she brought measure to the Legislature because the topic sometimes is omitted in the classroom.

"It has been an option," she said. "A lot don't teach it."

Sen. Josh Brecheen, R-Coalgate, was among the six lawmakers voting against the measure.

He said he was taught about the Tulsa Race Riot in Oklahoma history.

"We are already teaching it in schools," Brecheen said. "My question is why do we need to run a mandate to force it?"

He said he was concerned that the issue was being politicized.

"And the politically correct vote would have been to vote in favor of it," Brecheen said. "And I just think we as a society have to move away with what is politically correct on these issues."

The Tulsa Race Riot resulted in dozens of deaths, hundreds of injuries and the destruction of most of Tulsa's black Greenwood district.

"It teaches us about how far hatred can go," McIntyre said.

Every state needs to do this.

one of the better threads I've seen lately...

bout to peep a few of the documentaries and books when I get a chance.

Our middle school history class breezed over the Black Wall Street massacre one day, always took interest in that as well as Malcolm X

The Tulsa Massacre was merely the crown jewel of a nationwide policy to expropriate black wealth and black labor. Depending on how one calculates it, some estimates have more black wealth and labor being expropriated after 1865 than before 1865. Convict labor, adverse possession laws, sundown towns, vigilantism, segregation and redlining have done more to take money from black people and put it in the hands of white people than did chattel slavery.

This fact is also important because it shatters two cherished narratives that are enjoyed by all white conservatives and many white liberals. With Slavery, it can largely be talked about as a regional problem. Slavery was the domain mostly of very rich Southerns and most southern whites never owned a slave. Furthermore, many white people's immigrant ancestors arrived in the United States after 1865. When we talk about the pain and institutionalized theft that was and is visited on black people, across the country, from 1865 to present day, that casts a much larger net of historical culpability than does Slavery. Suddenly, Polish and Italian-Americans in the Northeast and Mid West can be seen as benefiting from racism against black people. Poor Southerns gained from racism that was directed against blacks. Prison guards and loan officers are, right now, benefiting from anti-black racism.

The other cherished narrative is the idea that black people face little to no institutional racism and that it is on them to find a way to thrive economically. Liberals and conservatives differ slightly on how blacks should do this. Conservatives think that if blacks just stopped listening to rap music, put down their bottles of malt liquor and Thunder Bird, start grabbing their boot straps and start pulling up, they would soon be enjoying a fine bourgeois lifestyle. Moderates and centrists liberals believe that government should give black folks a daycare voucher and a bigger education tax credit and all will be well. Our neo-liberal president says "pull your pants up" and "stop complainin'" and that is just a folksier version of Paul Ryan's talk about the culture of nonwork in our "inner cities."

Real liberals know that black people have and continue to strive to maintain bourgeois values of education, work, initiative, thrift and sobriety. Despite white supremacy, some black folks have managed to become middle or upper-middle class. Unfortunately as history has shown, be it in Tulsa or countless places all across the Country, institutionalized racism, vigilantism and outright theft have been applied to any and all black people who managed to rise above a subsistence standard of living.

I see out on the road, bumper stickers, stuck on the back of the SUV's and pickup trucks of SWS's that read "work harder, millions on welfare are depending on you." The implication is that the toiling white proletariat must continue to work very hard in order to support the imagined high life of the imagined and always black "welfare queen." I think a much more realistic bumper sticker should read "black folks, work hard, save your money and build yourself some houses and businesses. Millions of poor white trash need to seize them."

Does anyone wanna talk about how the first people in China were black? DNA evidence now substiantiates this claim...

They really did **** over our ENTIRE history

I wonder how many black Columbus' there were

Back
Top Bottom