Why do idiots say an Airball is

not a travel anymore if you catch it? pisses me off when playing pick up. some kid yesterday airballed his layup and caught it and we called travel and him and his teamates were crying that its a rule now that you can catch it.

not a travel anymore if you catch it? pisses me off when playing pick up. some kid yesterday airballed his layup and caught it and we called travel and him and his teamates were crying that its a rule now that you can catch it.

Play with better competition that doesn't airball layups (and knows the rules).

Play with better competition that doesn't airball layups (and knows the rules).

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Play with real ballers son.

niketalk

The way me and my boys play , if someone shoots and misses, you clear the ball past the 3. Airball, backboard, or rim. Lots of dudes will insist that if the opposition throws up an airball, you can put it right back up without clearing it. Never have we called a travel on an airball and ran it from the top though

Edit: Were you playing full court of half ?

The way me and my boys play , if someone shoots and misses, you clear the ball past the 3. Airball, backboard, or rim. Lots of dudes will insist that if the opposition throws up an airball, you can put it right back up without clearing it. Never have we called a travel on an airball and ran it from the top though

Edit: Were you playing full court of half ?

actually known of u guys know the rules. you are allowed to catch an airball. you are allowed to catch any intentionally missed shot.

indifferent.gif
you guys dont know the rules. i had this arguement the other day in open gym. it was 9 vs 1.

the only place u can not catch an airball is in the NBA. allowed to in NCAA, allowed to in public high school rules.

know the rules

actually known of u guys know the rules. you are allowed to catch an airball. you are allowed to catch any intentionally missed shot.

indifferent.gif
you guys dont know the rules. i had this arguement the other day in open gym. it was 9 vs 1.

the only place u can not catch an airball is in the NBA. allowed to in NCAA, allowed to in public high school rules.

know the rules

in case u idiots dare to argue, i am a paid high school official, i have plenty of rule books at home.

straight out of the NCAA rule book:
A.R. 110. A1 attempts a try at Team A’s basket after having completed the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the ring or the flange or any other player. A1 runs and catches the ball before it strikes the playing court. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his or her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There is no team control by either team when a try is in flight. However, when the shot clock expires and a try by A1 or a teammate has not struck the ring or the flange, it shall be a violation of the shot-clock rule. (Rule 4-68.1, 4-15.4.c and 9-11.2)
straight out of the NFHS rule book:
4.44 SITUATION B: A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble.The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runsand is able to catch the ball before it strikes thefloor. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his/her owntry, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team controlafter the ball was releasedon a try. (4-12; 4-41).
so unless u clearly state you are playing by NBA rules, you sir are the idiot
indifferent.gif

/thread

in case u idiots dare to argue, i am a paid high school official, i have plenty of rule books at home.

straight out of the NCAA rule book:
A.R. 110. A1 attempts a try at Team A’s basket after having completed the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the ring or the flange or any other player. A1 runs and catches the ball before it strikes the playing court. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his or her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There is no team control by either team when a try is in flight. However, when the shot clock expires and a try by A1 or a teammate has not struck the ring or the flange, it shall be a violation of the shot-clock rule. (Rule 4-68.1, 4-15.4.c and 9-11.2)
straight out of the NFHS rule book:
4.44 SITUATION B: A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble.The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runsand is able to catch the ball before it strikes thefloor. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his/her owntry, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team controlafter the ball was releasedon a try. (4-12; 4-41).
so unless u clearly state you are playing by NBA rules, you sir are the idiot
indifferent.gif

/thread

I actually got into a big argument with a friend about this like a year ago. 

I since then learned it's a rule only applied to the nba but imo it should be the same on every level except before high school

It is just stupid to be able to legally self pass to yourself on the grounds that you made a legitimate attempt to shoot.  Shouldn't fly after 6th or 7th grade. 

Back
Top Bottom