Why do idiots say an Airball is

Originally Posted by ryanbbn23

in case u idiots dare to argue, i am a paid high school official, i have plenty of rule books at home.

straight out of the NCAA rule book:
A.R. 110. A1 attempts a try at Team A’s basket after having completed the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the ring or the flange or any other player. A1 runs and catches the ball before it strikes the playing court. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his or her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There is no team control by either team when a try is in flight. However, when the shot clock expires and a try by A1 or a teammate has not struck the ring or the flange, it shall be a violation of the shot-clock rule. (Rule 4-68.1, 4-15.4.c and 9-11.2)
straight out of the NFHS rule book:
4.44 SITUATION B: A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble.The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runsand is able to catch the ball before it strikes thefloor. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his/her owntry, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team controlafter the ball was releasedon a try. (4-12; 4-41).
so unless u clearly state you are playing by NBA rules, you sir are the idiot
indifferent.gif

/thread

30t6p3b.gif
I dunno how many years I tried telling NT/rec hoopers this.

THANK YOU. As a former ref, and avid hooper, THANK YOU.

For those who didn't catch it in every American organized league I've ever heard of besides NBA, You CAN catch your own airball as long as it was a valid shot attempt.

Originally Posted by LiveFree

For those who didn't catch it in every American organized league I've ever heard of besides NBA, You CAN catch your own airball as long as it was a valid shot attempt.
No we know (or at least I do) but that's just stupid. 

No way should a guy airballing his layup and being able to catch it and going back up with it be allowed in any level above 8th grade (and I'm being generous) or in any respectable pickup

No way should a guy airballing his layup and being able to catch it and going back up with it be allowed in any level above 8th grade (and I'm being generous) or in any respectable pickup

NBA- travel
Any other competitive levels- not travel as long as it's a legit shot attempt
Pickup game- whoever yells the loudest gets the call their way

NBA- travel
Any other competitive levels- not travel as long as it's a legit shot attempt
Pickup game- whoever yells the loudest gets the call their way

Originally Posted by BC2310

What about jumping like you're shooting then dribbling on the way down (before you land)?  I've had it called both ways on me in city league.  One ref let it go another called a travel, said I was moving my pivot foot.

Can anyone answer this ^? Former/current refs?

What about jumping like you're shooting then dribbling on the way down (before you land)?  I've had it called both ways on me in city league.  One ref let it go another called a travel, said I was moving my pivot foot.

You playing with cheaters. Catching your own airball is the same as passing it to yourself by throwing it in the air running to the hoop and laying it in.

Remind me of this kid I grew up with who stayed cheating and inconsistently at that. Wanna say a travel is 4 steps or more. Homey was arguing about the crab dribble way before LeBron. Son would do two hop steps in the paint like he some frog. Plus he never would count points right. It's pretty known in street ball all points are one point (sometimes 3pts count). This fool would be counting 2 pointers for himself and one for everybody else.

30t6p3b.gif

You playing with cheaters. Catching your own airball is the same as passing it to yourself by throwing it in the air running to the hoop and laying it in.

Remind me of this kid I grew up with who stayed cheating and inconsistently at that. Wanna say a travel is 4 steps or more. Homey was arguing about the crab dribble way before LeBron. Son would do two hop steps in the paint like he some frog. Plus he never would count points right. It's pretty known in street ball all points are one point (sometimes 3pts count). This fool would be counting 2 pointers for himself and one for everybody else.

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by amel223

I've been in situations where I've had to catch my own airball. Unless you've played any level of college ball, I'm probably better than you. I don't mean to brag, I have nothing to brag about in my college resume. But I'm just saying, players of all skill level do it during the course of a game. It's not what you're thinking of, some dude wide up not missing the entire backboard. I'm don't have to spell out all teh scenarios, tipped ball...foul...overshot...bad shot after being caught in the air, etc etc...

People always throw out all these extravagant hypotheticals that in reality don't happen. The whole idea is it MUST be a shot attempt. You can't just toss the ball over the rim overtly to catch yourself when you're stuck in the air. I'd call that mess in a hurry if someone tried to pull that.

And you certainlty couldn't just jump toss the ball within a few feet of you, and advance.

Originally Posted by amel223

I've been in situations where I've had to catch my own airball. Unless you've played any level of college ball, I'm probably better than you. I don't mean to brag, I have nothing to brag about in my college resume. But I'm just saying, players of all skill level do it during the course of a game. It's not what you're thinking of, some dude wide up not missing the entire backboard. I'm don't have to spell out all teh scenarios, tipped ball...foul...overshot...bad shot after being caught in the air, etc etc...

People always throw out all these extravagant hypotheticals that in reality don't happen. The whole idea is it MUST be a shot attempt. You can't just toss the ball over the rim overtly to catch yourself when you're stuck in the air. I'd call that mess in a hurry if someone tried to pull that.

And you certainlty couldn't just jump toss the ball within a few feet of you, and advance.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Remind me of this kid I grew up with who stayed cheating and inconsistently at that. Wanna say a travel is 4 steps or more. Homey was arguing about the crab dribble way before LeBron. Son would do two hop steps in the pain like he some frog. Plus he never would count points right. It's pretty known street ball all points are one point (sometimes 3pts count). This fool would be counting 2 pointers for himself and one for everybody else.

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Remind me of this kid I grew up with who stayed cheating and inconsistently at that. Wanna say a travel is 4 steps or more. Homey was arguing about the crab dribble way before LeBron. Son would do two hop steps in the pain like he some frog. Plus he never would count points right. It's pretty known street ball all points are one point (sometimes 3pts count). This fool would be counting 2 pointers for himself and one for everybody else.

30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

That's a travel. You jump in the air but don't shoot. Start dribbiling before you land? CMON SON
roll.gif
That first ref was blind and/or dumb.

Now if you only lift one foot off the ground and start dribbling (and obviously didn't stop your dribble before) that's a common pump fake.

That's a travel. You jump in the air but don't shoot. Start dribbiling before you land? CMON SON
roll.gif
That first ref was blind and/or dumb.

Now if you only lift one foot off the ground and start dribbling (and obviously didn't stop your dribble before) that's a common pump fake.

I always assumed it was the referee's discretion as to what constitutes an attempted shot. They can call a violation if they think you didn't make an attempt at the basket.

I always assumed it was the referee's discretion as to what constitutes an attempted shot. They can call a violation if they think you didn't make an attempt at the basket.

Think about it: if this move was legal, then why would anyone pump fake? They would just jump in the air, get their defender off the ground, then put the dribble down and go right past him. The advantage would be insane.

Think about it: if this move was legal, then why would anyone pump fake? They would just jump in the air, get their defender off the ground, then put the dribble down and go right past him. The advantage would be insane.

Back
Top Bottom