Why do idiots say an Airball is

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

You playing with cheaters. Catching your own airball is the same as passing it to yourself by throwing it in the air running to the hoop and laying it in.

laugh.gif
another dumb one.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

You playing with cheaters. Catching your own airball is the same as passing it to yourself by throwing it in the air running to the hoop and laying it in.

laugh.gif
another dumb one.

Originally Posted by LiveFree

Originally Posted by amel223

For those who didn't catch it in every American organized league I've ever heard of besides NBA, You CAN catch your own airball as long as it was a valid shot attempt.
No we know (or at least I do) but that's just stupid. 

No way should a guy airballing his layup and being able to catch it and going back up with it be allowed in any level above 8th grade (and I'm being generous) or in any respectable pickup
I've been in situations where I've had to catch my own airball. Unless you've played any level of college ball, I'm probably better than you. I don't mean to brag, I have nothing to brag about in my college resume. But I'm just saying, players of all skill level do it during the course of a game.
That's part of my point. 

I feel the better the person, the more I feel you SHOULDN'T be able to catch your own airball

I stick by my point.  After a certain grade, EVERYONE should play by the nba rule

For those who didn't catch it in every American organized league I've ever heard of besides NBA, You CAN catch your own airball as long as it was a valid shot attempt.

No way should a guy airballing his layup and being able to catch it and going back up with it be allowed in any level above 8th grade (and I'm being generous) or in any respectable pickup
I've been in situations where I've had to catch my own airball. Unless you've played any level of college ball, I'm probably better than you. I don't mean to brag, I have nothing to brag about in my college resume. But I'm just saying, players of all skill level do it during the course of a game.
That's part of my point. 

I feel the better the person, the more I feel you SHOULDN'T be able to catch your own airball

I stick by my point.  After a certain grade, EVERYONE should play by the nba rule

I dont care what any rulebook says, if you airball a shot and can catch it before anyone else touches it... its a travel.

Its not strategy, skill or anything like that.  Its just a !#%#*! shot and you dont deserve to be able to shoot it again.

I dont care what any rulebook says, if you airball a shot and can catch it before anyone else touches it... its a travel.

Its not strategy, skill or anything like that.  Its just a !#%#*! shot and you dont deserve to be able to shoot it again.

If somebody catches their own airball I'm calling a travel.

I don't care what level your playing on

Originally Posted by ncjamn

this...

i asked a coach and he said it's a travel if you jump and then dribble..

this...

i asked a coach and he said it's a travel if you jump and then dribble..

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by BC2310

What about jumping like you're shooting then dribbling on the way down (before you land)?  I've had it called both ways on me in city league.  One ref let it go another called a travel, said I was moving my pivot foot.

Can anyone answer this ^? Former/current refs?
Think about it: if this move was legal, then why would anyone pump fake? They would just jump in the air, get their defender off the ground, then put the dribble down and go right past him. The advantage would be insane.
Yeah, when the ref told me I moved my pivot foot, I thought yeah that makes sense.  It's not like I do this all the time, just happened to have long dudes coming at me.  I've seen college players do this and not get called so I thought there could be some grey area or something.  Thanks for replying and not being a jerk about it.  Like some other people.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

What about jumping like you're shooting then dribbling on the way down (before you land)?  I've had it called both ways on me in city league.  One ref let it go another called a travel, said I was moving my pivot foot.

Can anyone answer this ^? Former/current refs?
Think about it: if this move was legal, then why would anyone pump fake? They would just jump in the air, get their defender off the ground, then put the dribble down and go right past him. The advantage would be insane.
Yeah, when the ref told me I moved my pivot foot, I thought yeah that makes sense.  It's not like I do this all the time, just happened to have long dudes coming at me.  I've seen college players do this and not get called so I thought there could be some grey area or something.  Thanks for replying and not being a jerk about it.  Like some other people.

Originally Posted by Durden7

2 more dumb niketalkers.

Originally Posted by Durden7

2 more dumb niketalkers.

That's part of my point. 

It's not a matter of skill level, it's a matter of not stopping play and not restricting a players actions when said shooter player wouldn't otherwise gain an advantageous  position. Some of the following reasons illustrate why:

1. The likelihood that an offender could catch his own airball before any of the other defenders in a regular fashion is low.
  2. Even assuming an offender was very dexterous and fast enough to catch the airball, an airball happens inadvertently. There's no possibility of premeditation needed to use it to gain an advantegous position
  3.  And lastly, if all else fails, a referee won't let an airball be caught more than once, he'll simply call it the next time and say it wasn't a shot attempt.
But I feel your point. It's really a matter of opinion. It serves no detrimental factor as airballs happen so infrequently, and for the reasons mentioned above.

It's really a matter of whether you want what you consider a lack of skill to be given a penalty. Or whether you want the game to continue. No preference is greater than the other, as both offer moot results outside of game speed (but even then not really b/c it happens so infrequently).

That's part of my point. 

It's not a matter of skill level, it's a matter of not stopping play and not restricting a players actions when said shooter player wouldn't otherwise gain an advantageous  position. Some of the following reasons illustrate why:

1. The likelihood that an offender could catch his own airball before any of the other defenders in a regular fashion is low.
  2. Even assuming an offender was very dexterous and fast enough to catch the airball, an airball happens inadvertently. There's no possibility of premeditation needed to use it to gain an advantegous position
  3.  And lastly, if all else fails, a referee won't let an airball be caught more than once, he'll simply call it the next time and say it wasn't a shot attempt.
But I feel your point. It's really a matter of opinion. It serves no detrimental factor as airballs happen so infrequently, and for the reasons mentioned above.

It's really a matter of whether you want what you consider a lack of skill to be given a penalty. Or whether you want the game to continue. No preference is greater than the other, as both offer moot results outside of game speed (but even then not really b/c it happens so infrequently).

Back
Top Bottom