Why Does Feminism Scare You?

For me it's not the fear of feminism, but the fear of weaponization of feminism against person's that are not at fault.

I can't really be scared of something when I have no idea what feminism really is. One of my coworkers (Elise) describes herself as a feminist activist and the only views under that umbrella she discussed with me are the following:
-She believes prostitution should be legalized and that it is a good thing if a woman can do so independently without the involvement of illegal pimping etc.
-She very strongly believes women's bare breasts should be viewed no differently than a man's bare chest. If it's hot and she feels like taking her bra/bikini off, that should be treated as normal as a topless male. She argued this point with me for an hour and one of my other coworkers, a close friend of mine and her, once spent a whole 4 hours debating that point with her. No exaggeration.

Again I don't really know what feminism generally means but when this coworker identified herself as a feminist activist, I wasn't exactly expecting her to bring up those 2 views and feel so strongly about it.

-She very strongly believes women's bare breasts should be viewed no differently than a man's bare chest. If it's hot and she feels like taking her bra/bikini off, that should be treated as normal as a topless male. She argued this point with me for an hour and one of my other coworkers, a close friend of mine and her, spent a whole 4 hours debating that point with her.

*Smart woman.

BUt, what exactly were you and your close friend's argument(s) AGAINST her Bare BReast movement?

I come in peace.

I have no issues with women wanting pay equal to men in fields that make sense. I believe women should be free to do with their bodies as they choose as long as it’s not detrimental to another (I’m not talking about abortion at all just in case that’s what some think I’m referring). I think women should have more impactful voices on subjects that their experience or expertise may offer a different perspective than what’s been the status quo.

I do however take issue with how some women seem to weaponize feminism.
In what why would you say feminism is weaponize. Personally, a critique I have on feminism is that it primarily focuses on the issues of white woman instead of women. On an individual bases of the women I've talked to and or have been around just be on some "I just wanna feel safe walking to store by myself at night." or "Treat me like a person, talk to me as an equal." All n all I guess absolving the inequality & double standards; which is fight that I personally support.

-She very strongly believes women's bare breasts should be viewed no differently than a man's bare chest. If it's hot and she feels like taking her bra/bikini off, that should be treated as normal as a topless male. She argued this point with me for an hour and one of my other coworkers, a close friend of mine and her, once spent a whole 4 hours debating that point with her. No exaggeration.

Four hours :emoji_astonished:

I'd have gave up and agreed to disagree after about 20 minutes :lol:

Doesn't.

Many of inequalities are so deeply ingrained and all-encompassing, people deprioritize them to focus on making their own ends meet. And anyone drawing attention to the larger issues are seen as a nuisance or extreme.

What scares me most: Aircraft lavatory surfaces.

*Smart woman.

BUt, what exactly were you and your close friend's argument(s) AGAINST her Bare BReast movement?

I come in peace.
Just for clarity, I'll refer to the feminist (Elise) and the mutual close friend (Amy) by their names since we're all coworkers.

I just thought that Elise's argument went too far in the extreme. If she wants to go topless then by all means go ahead but you can't expect everyone to just be ok with it. If it's just in a setting with friends/acquaintances and everyone is ok with it, sure, but in various public scenarios there's gonna be negative responses to it. I also told her that while I wouldn't mind, I'd find it very arousing and distracting so it'd be virtually impossible for me to not react differently to it than a guy going topless.

The cornerstone of Elise's argument is that she believes female breasts weren't inherently sexual originally, thus they shouldn't be seen that way period. That's mainly where I think her argument went way off into the extreme.

Amy's argument is the same as mine for the most part. She said she doesn't find breasts arousing (she's lesbian) and doesn't really get sexual stimulation from her breasts being fondled during sex, thus for her it wouldn't be too arousing or distracting. At the end of the day she still agrees Elise's argument goes too far off the deep end in that regard and you can't expect people, especially in public scenarios such as a park, to not find it too sexual and distracting.

Four hours :emoji_astonished:

I'd have gave up and agreed to disagree after about 20 minutes :lol:
I lasted about an hour before throwing in the towel, there is nothing that can convince her of a different view :lol:
At least she doesn't mind others' views.

Last edited:
The cornerstone of Elise's argument is that she believes female breasts weren't inherently sexual originally, thus they shouldn't be seen that way.
She's probably right. :lol:

But other than, "It is socially unacceptable", you and Amy never really presented a strong argument as to WHY she ELyshe shouldn't be able to walk around with her ******* out.

Just for clarity, I'll refer to the feminist (Elise) and the mutual close friend (Amy) by their names since we're all coworkers.

I just thought that Elise's argument went too far in the extreme. If she wants to go topless then by all means go ahead but you can't expect everyone to just be ok with it. If it's just in a setting with friends/acquaintances and everyone is ok with it, sure, but in various public scenarios there's gonna be negative responses to it. I also told her that while I wouldn't mind, I'd find it very arousing and distracting so it'd be virtually impossible for me to not react differently to it than a guy going topless.

The cornerstone of Elise's argument is that she believes female breasts weren't inherently sexual originally, thus they shouldn't be seen that way period. That's mainly where I think her argument went way off into the extreme.

Amy's argument is the same as mine for the most part. She said she doesn't find breasts arousing (she's lesbian) and doesn't really get sexual stimulation from her breasts being fondled during sex, thus for her it wouldn't be too arousing or distracting. At the end of the day she still agrees Elise's argument goes too far off the deep end in that regard and you can't expect people, especially in public scenarios such as a park, to not find it too sexual and distracting.

I lasted about an hour before throwing in the towel, there is nothing that can convince her of a different view :lol:
At least she doesn't mind others' views.
Since it's on topic, I don't think men w/ boobs should be allowed to go shirtless. It's a distractingly disgusting site to see.

Belgium Belgium or anyone else.

Not trying to get banned, so I won't post the video but, Brittany Griner (Woman WNBA) goes topless on the regular.

"Nothing" is there. When I say nothing, I legit mean nothing.

Should that be allowed Belgium Belgium ? , If yes, why should women that are more developed have to follow different rules?

She's probably right. :lol:

But other than, "It is socially unacceptable", you and Amy never really presented a strong argument as to WHY she ELyshe shouldn't be able to walk around with her ******* out.
We both agree that she can have her ******* out if she wants to, that's her choice, just that she can't expect everyone else to adopt her view. If someone asks her to cover up in a public park or something we don't think there's anything wrong about that.

We both agree that she can have her ******* out if she wants to, that's her choice, just that she can't expect everyone else to adopt her view. If someone asks her to cover up in a public park or something we don't think there's anything wrong about that.

Yea, they shouldn't be asking someone to cover up though. Those folks could just relocate themselves.

I don't think it is anything to "adopt" since it is a physical act. They (complainers) don't have to do it but that doesn't mean she shouldn't be able to.

Colorado
On February 22, 2017, U.S. District Judge R. Brooke Jackson granted a preliminary injunction against a Fort Collins ordinance banning female toplessness saying it likely violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment due to gender-based discrimination. Britt Hoagland, Samantha Six and Free the Nipple – Fort Collins brought the case in May 2016. The judge wrote: the naked female breast is seen as disorderly or dangerous because society, from Renaissance paintings to Victoria's Secret commercials, has conflated female breasts with genitalia and stereotyped them as such. The irony is that by forcing women to cover up their bodies, society has made naked women's breasts something to see. [25] As of September 2019, topfreedom is legal throughout the state due to a win in the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.[1]

Yea, they shouldn't be asking someone to cover up though. Those folks could just relocate themselves.

I don't think it is anything to "adopt" since it is a physical act. They (complainers) don't have to do it but that doesn't mean she shouldn't be able to.

Colorado
On February 22, 2017, U.S. District Judge R. Brooke Jackson granted a preliminary injunction against a Fort Collins ordinance banning female toplessness saying it likely violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment due to gender-based discrimination. Britt Hoagland, Samantha Six and Free the Nipple – Fort Collins brought the case in May 2016. The judge wrote: the naked female breast is seen as disorderly or dangerous because society, from Renaissance paintings to Victoria's Secret commercials, has conflated female breasts with genitalia and stereotyped them as such. The irony is that by forcing women to cover up their bodies, society has made naked women's breasts something to see. [25] As of September 2019, topfreedom is legal throughout the state due to a win in the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.[1]

I didn't say she has to comply with such demands, just that both I and Amy don't necessarily see something wrong with people who feel it's uncomfortable, distracting, too arousing, ...
Again, if she wants to have her ******* out then go ahead.

White men worked hard to control women to the point to where they couldn’t even go to school or wear anything that showed their wrists. Of course they’ll be some blow back for that

"Please respond"

Belgium Belgium
No I don't think there should be any distinction between the size of a woman's breasts in that argument. However it's naturally bound to get less of a response though because a topless flat chest is less likely to arouse, distract or make people as uncomfortable as a woman with a big rack.

Again, my and Amy's argument boils down to thinking that there's nothing wrong with having your ******* out but also that there's nothing wrong with people who think it's too arousing, distracting or uncomfortable. Especially in public.

White men worked hard to control women to the point to where they couldn’t even go to school or wear anything that showed their wrists. Of course they’ll be some blow back for that

So did black men. I hate to play the all bigotry matters game but black men have to be held accountable for their misogyny and homophobia.

So did black men. I hate to play the all bigotry matters game but black men have to be held accountable for their misogyny and homophobia.
Let’s keep that it’s own topic. I agree, but other than some similarities in verbiage I don’t think it’s comparable in the least bit

Back
Top Bottom