"Why i hate school but love education"

I've said this for years.  I've saved books after classes to re-read.  I love learning new stuff.  I just like to apply it to real life not a for 3 credits.  College was hard because I was bored man.

I've said this for years.  I've saved books after classes to re-read.  I love learning new stuff.  I just like to apply it to real life not a for 3 credits.  College was hard because I was bored man.
same with me , im almost done my degree but i just hate the stupid things that we will never use in real life they make us learn. 

I agree I can't focus in school because I'm not interested in any of these general classes I need to take

This video sucks... don't let the production value or bebas fonts fool you...

He says "lets look at the statistics" ... and then names off a list of successful people who never graduated from college... anomalies. Outliers. Rare cases of unusual entrepreneurship, opportunity, or creativity. If he were ACTUALLY looking at the statistics, he would see concrete proof that people who are more educated generally make more money. It's an obvious correlation.

I can't believe he quotes the Bible, saying "it does a fool no good to spend money on education..." I get that it's metaphorical, but seriously, you can't use a 2,000+ year old text to prove a point in 2012. And what's with using Jesus as an example of someone intelligent who never went to college? I'm sure he skipped the local community college to devote more time to preaching.

"Are you aware that examiners have a checklist, and if your answer is something outside the box, the automatic answer is a cross" what? Maybe in high school standardized testing or the ACT/SAT. But I had a professor in a small philosophy class who graded us on our conversations in class and the notes we took on our readings, that was it. It was one of my favorites. Professors can be (not all) creative, smart, perceptive, observant, unique, and completely surprising of what you might think a college class should be like. For good or bad. College does not fit squarely in this kid's narrow view.

He rips on Bush (who I'm not a fan of, either) by saying "George Bush... need I say more?" I get that he coasted through the military and college. But the man was a president. You can't take winning a presidential election away from him.

"My proud mother didn't even show up to my graduation" ... OK? That's your mom. She might suck. How is that related?

Not to mention several spelling mistakes in the video.

Look, I get what he's trying to say. Two people talking on the street, the one with a college degree is not necessarily smarter than the one without. But I accepted early on that higher ed is another hoop you need to jump through in order to make certain dreams happen. It weeds out who is not willing to put the work in. It teaches you far more than numbers and facts; it teaches you work ethic, organization, people skills, time management, etc. You don't need to go to college to learn these things, but that's what I got out of it.

If I get anywhere in my career—and it's starting to look like I might—it's because of two things: 1. my diploma that says I learned journalism at an accredited college and 2. my own ambition. That's simply the way it is. We can't all be Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg... or Jesus or Muhammed :lol:

Last edited:
the majority of us are building other people's dreams and some will realize that their dreams aren't being built....it's true.
education has it's pros and cons, and each individual's perspective is different (obviously)
school was just dead on boring for me and the same as college.......a lot of crappy classes that made me stay up late and woke up early just for studying....i wish college would just go straight to the point
if we all compare us, individually, to the great successful people, it might be a far stretch....not everyone will be a bill gates, richard branson, jordan, etc.......but guess what? sometimes we don't need to be "the next big thing". we just need to be the better "you" compare to yesterday.

Reactions: wr
I Dnt see why we need general elective courses on top of our major courses just wasting money..

Last edited:
I feel like a lemming in school, not gonna lie. Teachers aren't interesting, at all.

Half a semester and I'll get my piece of paper.

If I get anywhere in my career—and it's starting to look like I might—it's because of two things: 1. my diploma that says I learned journalism at an accredited college and 2. my own ambition. That's simply the way it is. We can't all be Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg... or Jesus or Muhammed :lol:
Fixed.

I presume that there are aspects of journalism that you have a passion for.. assuming you didn't go to college, would you all of a sudden not be free to pursue those interests? Of course not. If you're interested in journalism, you're interested in journalism. You don't need a piece of paper to prove to yourself that you like doing something. If you like doing something, then start doing it right now.

That's the point I took from the video.

No one should feel that they NEED to go to college in order to prove their worth as a person and productive member of society. There's no vetting process required to live life. This wasn't as obvious in the past, when society was structured based on division of labor and your lot in life was largely determined from birth. But today? By and large, there's nothing stopping most people from going out and doing what they want to do right now. If you like to write, there are ways for you to start writing from your home right now. If you like to do art, you can start doing art from your home right now. If you like to rap, you can start rapping from your home right now. If in the process of pursuing what you want to do, you find yourself drawn towards college and feel like it will be worth it, then go for it. But we need to stop making people feel like college is a necessary prerequisite to living a productive and fulfilling life.

Last edited:
glad this didn't follow the "I hate religion but love jesus" vid

while I don't like the "(insert famous person) doesn't have a degree" argument, he does bring up some valid points

School isn't for everyone, true. But consider that walking away from higher learning means having to accept that you will have to work that much harder to achieve what you desire. Is this always the case? No, not always. But beyond having connections that you can call on, a person with a degree from university will almost always have a leg up on another person of comparable background without a degree.

i dont think anyone has a direct specific route to success or even the same definition of what success is, you just have to chase what'll make you happy, be ambitious.

This video sucks... don't let the production value or bebas fonts fool you...
He says "lets look at the statistics" ... and then names off a list of successful people who never graduated from college... anomalies. Outliers. Rare cases of unusual entrepreneurship, opportunity, or creativity. If he were ACTUALLY looking at the statistics, he would see concrete proof that people who are more educated generally make more money. It's an obvious correlation.
I can't believe he quotes the Bible, saying "it does a fool no good to spend money on education..." I get that it's metaphorical, but seriously, you can't use a 2,000+ year old text to prove a point in 2012. And what's with using Jesus as an example of someone intelligent who never went to college? I'm sure he skipped the local community college to devote more time to preaching.
"Are you aware that examiners have a checklist, and if your answer is something outside the box, the automatic answer is a cross" what? Maybe in high school standardized testing or the ACT/SAT. But I had a professor in a small philosophy class who graded us on our conversations in class and the notes we took on our readings, that was it. It was one of my favorites. Professors can be (not all) creative, smart, perceptive, observant, unique, and completely surprising of what you might think a college class should be like. For good or bad. College does not fit squarely in this kid's narrow view.
He rips on Bush (who I'm not a fan of, either) by saying "George Bush... need I say more?" I get that he coasted through the military and college. But the man was a president. You can't take winning a presidential election away from him.
"My proud mother didn't even show up to my graduation" ... OK? That's your mom. She might suck. How is that related?
Not to mention several spelling mistakes in the video.
Look, I get what he's trying to say. Two people talking on the street, the one with a college degree is not necessarily smarter than the one without. But I accepted early on that higher ed is another hoop you need to jump through in order to make certain dreams happen. It weeds out who is not willing to put the work in. It teaches you far more than numbers and facts; it teaches you work ethic, organization, people skills, time management, etc. You don't need to go to college to learn these things, but that's what I got out of it.

my exact thoughts while watching this, but you were able to put it in much more eloquent terms. :lol: :smokin

i will say that not enough information about options after HS are presented to kids. I come from a decent area with good schools but it seemed like that the only options for people were college (also including trade schools) or the military. no entrepreneurial ideas or anything of that sort, which I KNOW peaks interests. i speak to seniors several times a year with a group of people (some are interested in colleges and other ask about entrepreneurial opportunities).

he made some valid points but colleges offer access to certain opportunities that a lot of people couldnt or would have an extremely difficult time getting to. i could give a damn about my degree or my classes but i was put in places and in the company of certain people that i would have never been around had i not went where i did. i hated the assignments and what i was being told in classes but the opportunities/work outside the classroom (internships and networking) are what i focused on and tried to make the most of.

colleges/universities are what you make of them.

Last edited:
I presume that there are aspects of journalism that you have a passion for.. assuming you didn't go to college, would you all of a sudden not be free to pursue those interests? Of course not. If you're interested in journalism, you're interested in journalism. You don't need a piece of paper to prove to yourself that you like doing something. If you like doing something, then start doing it right now.

I wouldn't cross out that degree. There's an incredible different between having an interest in journalism and making it a career, and that degree is almost always going to be the first stepping stone.

It's black and white: without a bachelor's degree, you are limited to seeing how far blogging can get you or VERY entry-level newspaper gigs. Jobs that get you somewhere, like a newspaper or professional sports team, require at least some sort of bachelor's, if not a journalism/English/PR/Comm. degree. I PROMISE you that no one at my job will even look at your resume without a completed college degree on your resume.

If you like to write, there are ways for you to start writing from your home right now. If you like to do art, you can start doing art from your home right now. If you like to rap, you can start rapping from your home right now. If in the process of pursuing what you want to do, you find yourself drawn towards college and feel like it will be worth it, then go for it. But we need to stop making people feel like college is a necessary prerequisite to living a productive and fulfilling life.

Again, I don't know if you are confusing a hobby with a career. I wouldn't be writing for an NBA team without my degree... I'd be contributing to some hack site like Bleacher Report making slideshows.

There are plenty of kids in their parents' basements who dropped out freshman year to "devote more time to writing" that are thinking the same thing as the guy who made this video... "oh boy now I'll have more time to spend on my passion instead of wasting it on gen. eds!" a.k.a. watching PTI or blogging about the same old things...

Meanwhile, the ultra-competitive kids (not necessarily me, I've found that a lot of them come from the south/SEC schools) are out there interning at everywhere possible, making connections, working for the school's athletic department and otherwise accelerating their career—standing out because of their work ethic and dedication, part of which is completing college.

Like the Religion/Jesus spoken word video, I think people are getting caught up in the flashy production and dramatic music. This thing is full of holes.

Last edited:
the majority of us are building other people's dreams and some will realize that their dreams aren't being built....it's true.

Yup. They should tell you this stuff as early as elementary school, instead of ramming the bullish*t Pledge of Allegiance into your brains everyday. 

a place that requires you pay 30 grand to learn is a joke. the entire education system of this country is putrid.

thats what the benefactors from the education industrial complex wants you to think...
so you're saying the material I find interesting isn't actually interesting? Interesting is subjective bruh, if I find it interesting that's all that matters. plus no one involved in what you call the "education industrial complex" is responsible for coming up with any of the academic programs that are taught.
and how interesting the stuff is is only one component of college.

not everything is a conspiracy theory...you've probably never even attended a meeting where the school's budget is discussed. you think schools just pocket the 60k in tuition you pay? lots of school's pay more per student than the student pays them in tuition (and yes it's obviously a lot more complicated than that, but the point is that no school is robbing students of 60k a year)

Last edited:
i dont think anyone has a direct specific route to success or even the same definition of what success is, you just have to chase what'll make you happy, be ambitious.

I can agree with this 100%, because unless you're really doing something you love, you will always feel like you are "working".

Always thought that was corny, but it's true. Follow what you believe in and love. Ambition is the key word.

Last edited:
College > .

If you're a brilliant entrepreneur or just have a solid vision and good work ethic, then go ahead, do whatever you think is best. Thing is, most people who say this stuff aren't brilliant nor do they have a plan or the ambition to even carry out a plan if it existed. They just want to rationalize why they suck at school because too stupid or too lazy isn't something they can come to terms with. Blaming college as if it is getting in the way of your learning... you aren't Einstein. When you aren't in class you are just sitting at home playing Call of Duty and watching Youtube videos. 

Back
Top Bottom