"Why i hate school but love education"

I wouldn't cross out that degree. There's an incredible different between having an interest in journalism and making it a career, and that degree is almost always going to be the first stepping stone.

It's black and white: without a bachelor's degree, you are limited to seeing how far blogging can get you or VERY entry-level newspaper gigs. Jobs that get you somewhere, like a newspaper or professional sports team, require at least some sort of bachelor's, if not a journalism/English/PR/Comm. degree. I PROMISE you that no one at my job will even look at your resume without a completed college degree on your resume.
I'm not saying that no one should get a degree. I'm saying that the INTEREST should be what comes first, your desire to get a degree and build a career in that subject should be a result of your interest, not vice versa. People are often encouraged to just "get a degree" instead of developing their interests and passions. A lot of times, that results in people rushing into things they aren't interested in just because they feel pressured to, and they end up with debt in the hundreds of thousands and a job they hate. Maybe you like your job, but for many people their jobs simply aren't allowing them to realize their potential. You can be making a ton of money, but if you aren't happy what's the point?

Let me ask you this question: if you weren't getting paid, would you still be doing exactly what you are doing right now?
Again, I don't know if you are confusing a hobby with a career. I wouldn't be writing for an NBA team without my degree... I'd be contributing to some hack site like Bleacher Report making slideshows.

There are plenty of kids in their parents' basements who dropped out freshman year to "devote more time to writing" that are thinking the same thing as the guy who made this video... "oh boy now I'll have more time to spend on my passion instead of wasting it on gen. eds!" a.k.a. watching PTI or blogging about the same old things...

Meanwhile, the ultra-competitive kids (not necessarily me, I've found that a lot of them come from the south/SEC schools) are out there interning at everywhere possible, making connections, working for the school's athletic department and otherwise accelerating their career—standing out because of their work ethic and dedication, part of which is completing college.

Like the Religion/Jesus spoken word video, I think people are getting caught up in the flashy production and dramatic music. This thing is full of holes.
Why does there have to be a huge divide between your hobbies and your career? That's the lie society pushes on us.. that we're supposed to drudge through our 9-5s and live for the weekend or the few hours after work when we can sneak out to the bar. Having that attitude is a sure-fire way to ensure that you will be chasing happiness your whole life. It's not rocket science: the more your career is in-line with what you naturally like to do, the happier you will be.

I understand that you think some people are just lazy and just want to drop out so they can screw around, but even if they are so what? Why should they force themselves to pay for a college degree if they don't want to be there in the first place? If I'm lazy, I'd rather be lazy without $100,000 of debt AND the chance that I still might end up not getting a job even after I graduate. From a strictly business/financial standpoint, college is just not a worthwhile investment for some people. And assuming I'm one of the few who is not lazy.. if I know playing it safe will not make me content in life, what do I have to lose by taking the risk? There are no do-overs in life.

People are starting to realize that the key to success isn't finding out what you want to be, it's about finding out what you want to DO. If you are interested in, say, writing then it will be something you do whether you are formally employed or not. Take Charles Bukowski for example, up until he was 50 years old he was working menial jobs and hated his life. One day he finally decided that he was a writer and writing was what he really enjoyed doing, and he quit his job and arranged his life around writing. In the process of organizing his life around his passion, he ended up becoming a very successful writer.

I guess this is just a thing of whether you're a leader or a follower. If you're a follower, your only priority will be to follow the conventional path and just try to get in where you fit in. If you're a leader, you'll be willing to take risks and think outside the box because you're driven towards fully realizing your potential.

I know this is NT so people's attention spans are minimal, but this is a great video:

College > .

If you're a brilliant entrepreneur or just have a solid vision and good work ethic, then go ahead, do whatever you think is best. Thing is, most people who say this stuff aren't brilliant nor do they have a plan or the ambition to even carry out a plan if it existed. They just want to rationalize why they suck at school because too stupid or too lazy isn't something they can come to terms with. Blaming college as if it is getting in the way of your learning... you aren't Einstein. When you aren't in class you are just sitting at home playing Call of Duty and watching Youtube videos. 
If someone feels like they're wasting time in college, why should they continue to pay for it?

It makes no sense to stay in college an accumulate debt if you don't want to be there. If you're more interested in playing video games than college, then stop wasting your money and leave. It's not like your life will be over if you don't go to college, these days it's entirely possible to make close to six figures or more without a college degree.

Last edited:
so you're saying the material I find interesting isn't actually interesting? Interesting is subjective bruh, if I find it interesting that's all that matters. plus no one involved in what you call the "education industrial complex" is responsible for coming up with any of the academic programs that are taught.
and how interesting the stuff is is only one component of college.
not everything is a conspiracy theory...you've probably never even attended a meeting where the school's budget is discussed. you think schools just pocket the 60k in tuition you pay? lots of school's pay more per student than the student pays them in tuition (and yes it's obviously a lot more complicated than that, but the point is that no school is robbing students of 60k a year)
fam i was just joshin
laugh.gif
. its good you find school interesting...

even though many "industrial complexes" exist, IMO education isn't one of them...a person could never have too much education.

even though many "industrial complexes" exist, IMO education isn't one of them...a person could never have too much education.

Well, it does in for-profit schools. Those are all about numbers. I worked at one for six months, we were "admission representatives" but it was basically sales. Think Phoenix, ITT Tech, etc.

Let me ask you this question: if you weren't getting paid, would you still be doing exactly what you are doing right now?

Yep, I didn't get paid for it until a year ago. Been at it since high school, 24 now.

I like your bit about Bukowski. From his wiki:

In 1969 Bukowski accepted an offer from Black Sparrow Press publisher John Martin and quit his post office job to dedicate himself to full-time writing. He was then 49 years old. As he explained in a letter at the time, "I have one of two choices – stay in the post office and go crazy ... or stay out here and play at writer and starve. I have decided to starve."

That's cool, seriously.

Last edited:
I am a sophomore in college and couldn't be more thankful you showed me this video. I have been struggling to stay on point with my studies lately in the sense that I've been cramming and pulling all nighters to get my work done. I think everyone is going to take away a different message from this but personally this was just what I needed to get my mind right. Yes, I realize he makes some dumb points but I loved the overall message that I got. Don't cram for tests. Don't just go to school to get a degree. Study, learn, and apply what you are taught in your classes. College isn't worth it if you only take away some fun nights and a degree. To me, it said be excited to learn, not go to class just for the grade.

Well, it does in for-profit schools. Those are all about numbers. I worked at one for six months, we were "admission representatives" but it was basically sales. Think Phoenix, ITT Tech, etc.

Yep, I didn't get paid for it until a year ago. Been at it since high school, 24 now.

I like your bit about Bukowski. From his wiki:

In 1969 Bukowski accepted an offer from Black Sparrow Press publisher John Martin and quit his post office job to dedicate himself to full-time writing. He was then 49 years old. As he explained in a letter at the time, "I have one of two choices – stay in the post office and go crazy ... or stay out here and play at writer and starve. I have decided to starve."

That's cool, seriously.
You're the type of person on the right track then, you knew what you wanted to do from HS and you didn't let anything hold you back from pursuing it. It sounds like you have already achieved some level of success, and I think you can thank your own personal ambition for that first and college second.

Sadly I know soo many people who fell through the cracks in college or became disillusioned with the system, that's why I think the ideas of this video should be more widely proliferated.

Last edited:
lmao I never knew Oprah never went to college. And who's Mark Zuckenberg 
laugh.gif
 Personally, I got kicked out of college cuz of grades and I've always wanted to be an entrepreneur but I have no hate towards anyone who goes to College. I only dropped out cuz I had personal issues, if you want to be a doctor, or anything that provides a service to the world, and school is your means to getting it, then go for it

He never said don't go to college, you guys missed the point. In essence he said get an education and learn. School these days doesn't do that and its true, you guys cram 24 hours before an exam and get an A on the final. But do you know anything about the material, or have you forgotten it 1 week later.

And its true, just because you went to college and have a 4.0 gpa using this cramming method doesn't mean you are any smarter than the next person lets say someone who dropped out but took his time learning about the same subject as you. I hate that jobs look at gpa. The only thing school teaches you is organization, time skills and shows if you are willing to go through the process.

He never said don't go to college, you guys missed the point. In essence he said get an education and learn. School these days doesn't do that and its true, you guys cram 24 hours before an exam and get an A on the final. But do you know anything about the material, or have you forgotten it 1 week later.
And its true, just because you went to college and have a 4.0 gpa using this cramming method doesn't mean you are any smarter than the next person lets say someone who dropped out but took his time learning about the same subject as you. I hate that jobs look at gpa. The only thing school teaches you is organization, time skills and shows if you are willing to go through the process.

On point.

Back
Top Bottom