Why is NY considered the "Mecca of basketball"

yeah everyone summed it up pretty well

It''s infused into the culture. Basketball IS nyc. Street ball is taken very seriously out here.

smh...

NY is only considered the "mecca" because of the media. i will give it to them, the media does hype them up the most as the center of basketball, andsince the media are the ones who tell people what to think, i guess NY is the mecca of basketball.

but honestly... for a city with ZERO championships in the sport of basketball over the past 35 years (both college and in the pros), there is NO good reasonfor them to be the mecca of basketball. you can't really make a logical argument why NY is still considered the mecca of basketball. you can only acceptthat it's the effect of the media.

it's what we do here... I ball son, when it gets hot we ball.... When it's cold we ball indoors.... We play ball like people in the south playfootball....

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

smh...

NY is only considered the "mecca" because of the media. i will give it to them, the media does hype them up the most as the center of basketball, and since the media are the ones who tell people what to think, i guess NY is the mecca of basketball.

but honestly... for a city with ZERO championships in the sport of basketball over the past 35 years (both college and in the pros), there is NO good reason for them to be the mecca of basketball. you can't really make a logical argument why NY is still considered the mecca of basketball. you can only accept that it's the effect of the media.

I can see that you just responded with out reading not one post...

smh...

NY is only considered the "mecca" because of the media. i will give it to them, the media does hype them up the most as the center of basketball, and since the media are the ones who tell people what to think, i guess NY is the mecca of basketball.

but honestly... for a city with ZERO championships in the sport of basketball over the past 35 years (both college and in the pros), there is NO good reason for them to be the mecca of basketball. you can't really make a logical argument why NY is still considered the mecca of basketball. you can only accept that it's the effect of the media.
Go back and read pages 3-5

smh...

If you want to make that case then I guess NC should be the mecca because they won the most chips with Wake, UNC, and Duke then over that timespan? Plz you have no idea. Being a mecca goes beyond just chips. Maybe the Celtics? OOO wait they had no fans when they were losing remember? Do you seeany many unsold seats in the garden because I never do. No matter whether we win 0 games of 70. We still follow our knicks as much as it pains us.

Basketball isn't a sport here. It's a culture which has a HUGE cult following.

smh...

facepalm2.jpg

1. We have the most loyal/knowledgeable fans in the world.
2. The city lives breathes sleeps basketball.
3. The best/most competition in the country basketball wise
4. The GOAT was born here....
5. No one takes basketball more seriously than NY'ers plain and simple, YES WE KNOW YOU WANT TO BE LIKE US.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

smh...

umm... i did. and i was posting in this thread earlier. we obviously do not share the same definition of what a "mecca" should be. period.

you can't accept that i straight up have a different opinion from your own? typical NYer...

you can't accept that i straight up have a different opinion from your own? typical NYer...
NYer's can't accept different opinions than their own?
laugh.gif

that's the first time i've heard that one

i know a lot of nyers and i talk to them about plenty of things

i don't remember ever thinking to myself that they could not accept someone else's opinion

instead of trying to defend your point you label him as a "typical NYer"
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

smh...

umm... i did. and i was posting in this thread earlier. we obviously do not share the same definition of what a "mecca" should be. period.

Yeah, because ALL New Yorkers are the same
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
eyes.gif
smh.gif

When you are in NY, everyone here is hooping. Indoors/Outdoors. Theres competition everywhere....no matter who you are, no matter what ethnicity, basketball isa part of life here. Its not really about NBA and the Knicks. Its about BASKETBALL

[h1]The Decade of Illinois Prep Basketball[/h1]
By Joe Henricksen on January 21, 2010 8:40 PM | Permalink | Comments ( | TrackBacks (0)

By Joe Henricksen

Four-class basketball. Preps to the pros. Simeon's back-to-back titles. Schaumburg upsets Thornwood. Gordie Kerkman and West Aurora win first state title. Shaun Livingston. Hales forfeits state title. Derrick Rose. Michael Jordan's son. Seneca wins 64 straight. Jon Scheyer's 21 points in 75 seconds. Banks, Bailey and Westinghouse. Gene Pingatore and Steve Goers passing Van Scyoc.

These were a few of the coaches, players, teams and storylines that made this past decade of high school basketball memorable.

This week's issue of the City/Suburban Hoops Report broke down the entire decade of high school basketball in Illinois, looking back at a decade of prep basketball starting with the 1999-2000 season and ending last year. Along with the issue and a breakdown of the decade, differences of opinion and spirited debate followed. The stories ranged from Decade Player of the Year to Program of the Decade to Decade's Top Stories and Storylines to a dozen other topics of intrigue. In addition, the Hoops Report broke down the top 75 winningest programs of the decade (among large schools in Illinois). Here is just a quick snapshot and sampling of the issue and a look back at the decade, including the top 10 winningest programs of the decade.

Player of the Decade
Simeon's Derrick Rose
The choice wasn't as easy you think, with Rose getting the edge over Glenbrook North's Jon Scheyer. Rose, though, was a two-time state champion, made the decade's biggest shot (game-winning basket to give Simeon the 2006 state title) and became a city and state icon.

All-Decade Team
Derrick Rose, Simeon
• Arguably one of the top five high school players the state has ever produced.
Shaun Livingston, Peoria Central
• As skilled of a point guard as we've seen. A two-time state champ and McDonald's All-American.
Jon Scheyer, Glenbrook North
• Won a state title, reached Peoria three times and one of only five players to score 3,000 career points.
Dwyane Wade, Richards
• Hoops Report Player of the Year in 2000 and maybe best remembered for scoring 95 points in two games in one day at a tournament at St. Xavier.
Eddy Curry, Thornwood
• People forget how dominating he was as a prep player. Capped off career by scoring 28 points in McDonald's All-American game.

All-Decade Second-Team
Darius Miles, East St. Louis Sr.
Dee Brown, Proviso East
Shannon Brown, Proviso East
Pierre Pierce, Westmont
Sherron Collins, Crane

Chicago is the best urban center now for producing basektball, but DMV produces more talent as a whole.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by dmxfury

MSG has been home of so many great, historical events, how could it not be? If nothing else, the fact it was the site of Ali Frazier, the Fight of the Century, makes it "the Mecca"
The title is "Mecca of Basketball", which the Madison Garden clearly is not. The Boston Garden, The Great Western Forum, The UnitedCenter (old, new), & The Staples Center all have more NBA titles won than that lousy team that plays in MSG. It's just another title New Yorkers clingtoo that comes from the media. The MSG is a historical venue for many great events, but the NBA team that has occupied that arena isn't.

Before you Knicks fans come in here and start whining about the 90's team (MJ's personal urinal), remember that they couldn't even win the titlewhen they were handed the trip in 94. A lockout shortened season couldn't even help you either.
Again, nobody is focusing specifically on the NBA, you dweeb.  Not only is MSG home to the Knicks for so many years and classic NBA moments but it's also home to St. Johns, the Harlem Globetrotters, and the Big East Tournament, a staple within the college basketball landscape.  You think FIBA, US Basketball, and Nike scheduled the send off weekend in NYC as an accident?  They knew it would draw the attention they wanted if it were held in MSG, not anywhere else in America.  And that's just recent history. 

Go back and do your homework on MSG, scrap.  When you're done, come back and apologize for spewing that dumb *!#@
laugh.gif

When they say the Mecca of basketball. They're referring tithe city itself. 9 out of 10 dudes play ball in NYC. 90 percent of us grew up playing basketball as our only sport. U can go more than 3 blocks in any direction with seeing a basketball court . There are Mad places to play ball out here . This is what we do son.

I don't even try to figure out why it's the Mecca. You can't even argue with a New Yorker about this.

I've just accepted it

Before the NBA, before March Madness, there was the NIT tournament. It was considered the best basketball at any level. And where was the championship game played? MSG. And the only team to win the NIT and NCAA championship in the same year? CCNY. besides, i play here so its gots to be the mecca!

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

5. No one takes basketball more seriously than NY'ers plain and simple, YES WE KNOW YOU WANT TO BE LIKE US.

laugh.gif
Yall actually claim this
roll.gif

I agree with the other 4 points. Chicago produces the best talent and had probably the best past 20 years in basketball but NY basketball is about more than success. I don't consider anything a Mecca though. The word is too strong. There is no singular Mecca for basketball. It's too spread out now. I mean I'd give the NY basketball culture the nod but wouldn't crown it a Mecca.

And Chicago isn't a baseball town; it's Bears and then everything else.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

laugh.gif
Yall actually claim this
roll.gif

I agree with the other 4 points. Chicago produces the best talent and had probably the best past 20 years in basketball but NY basketball is about more than success. I don't consider anything a Mecca though. The word is too strong. There is no singular Mecca for basketball. It's too spread out now. I mean I'd give the NY basketball culture the nod but wouldn't crown it a Mecca.

And Chicago isn't a baseball town; it's Bears and then everything else.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom