Why take off your hat? After all these years, I've never discussed this on here

darthska

Staff member
Why do people ask this?

"Please rise and remove your hats."

Why? Why, why, why, why, WHAAAIIIII??!?!?

laugh.gif

I did go through that little rebel stage where I'd refuse to take my hat off in church or court (people just glare at you in church; bailiffs tell you take it off or leave in court
embarassed.gif
), but I've still never gotten a clearcut answer.

I like people to take their shoes off in my house. Actually, I'm kind of a prick about it.
laugh.gif
If you want to stay and clean the grass and mud off my floor tonight, cool. Otherwise, I've got a shoe station right by my door. See? That makes sense; there's a logical reason behind it. You might not share the same reasoning, but it's there.

But with hats, all I get is "It's a sign of respect."

How?!

"It's common courtesy."

Why? For what reason? It's courteous to take your shoes off in my house because I don't like the dirt from your shoes all over my spot. What's the courtesy in removing my damn hat?!

Discuss.

Why do people ask this?

laugh.gif

I did go through that little rebel stage where I'd refuse to take my hat off in church or court (people just glare at you in church; bailiffs tell you take it off or leave in court
embarassed.gif

I like people to take their shoes off in my house. Actually, I'm kind of a prick about it.
laugh.gif
If you want to stay and clean the grass and mud off my floor tonight, cool. Otherwise, I've got a shoe station right by my door. See? That makes sense; there's a logical reason behind it. You might not share the same reasoning, but it's there.

How?!

"It's common courtesy."

Why? For what reason? It's courteous to take your shoes off in my house because I don't like the dirt from your shoes all over my spot. What's the courtesy in removing my damn hat?!

Discuss.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Why do people ask this?

laugh.gif

embarassed.gif

laugh.gif

How?!

"It's common courtesy."

Discuss.
answer right here:
http://tinyurl.com/6kfdkdq

lock your own thread up.

Why do people ask this?

laugh.gif

embarassed.gif

laugh.gif

How?!

"It's common courtesy."

Discuss.
answer right here:
http://tinyurl.com/6kfdkdq

lock your own thread up.

Couple reasons:

1. Practical: a hat is meant to protect you from the elements. When you're inside, you're not protecting your head from anything.

2. Fashion piece: it's considered outdoor wear and is removed along with overcoats and gloves upon going inside.

2. Courtesy: men used to regularly wear hats to formal occasions, theaters, etc. Imagine sitting in a theater and every guy is rockin' a stove pipe hat. It was a courtesy to remove it.

Couple reasons:

1. Practical: a hat is meant to protect you from the elements. When you're inside, you're not protecting your head from anything.

2. Fashion piece: it's considered outdoor wear and is removed along with overcoats and gloves upon going inside.

2. Courtesy: men used to regularly wear hats to formal occasions, theaters, etc. Imagine sitting in a theater and every guy is rockin' a stove pipe hat. It was a courtesy to remove it.

I did go through that little rebel stage where I'd refuse to take my hat off in church or court

always wondered if yamakas were an exception to this unwritten rule 
ohwell.gif

I did go through that little rebel stage where I'd refuse to take my hat off in church or court

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by 10508 Cardo Jr Ln

ohwell.gif
I'd assume religious headwear is an exception.

Back
Top Bottom