Why take off your hat? After all these years, I've never discussed this on here

Originally Posted by 10508 Cardo Jr Ln

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

I did go through that little rebel stage where I'd refuse to take my hat off in church or court

always wondered if yamakas were an exception to this unwritten rule 
ohwell.gif
I'd assume religious headwear is an exception.

I think as a practical matter, it's just a gesture of removing barriers between yourself and others, sort of a way to show your desire for social interaction. A hat usually hangs over your head and conceals/shields some parts of your face. By taking it off you are presenting yourself to another without barriers.

I think as a practical matter, it's just a gesture of removing barriers between yourself and others, sort of a way to show your desire for social interaction. A hat usually hangs over your head and conceals/shields some parts of your face. By taking it off you are presenting yourself to another without barriers.

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

I did go through that little rebel stage where I'd refuse to take my hat off in church or court

ohwell.gif

meant to put *as a kid 
laugh.gif
....trouble trouble

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

ohwell.gif

meant to put *as a kid 
laugh.gif
....trouble trouble

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Same with beards.

Same with beards.

ThunderChunk69:
there was a thread on it before.
Cool.
dmbrhs:
Couple reasons:

1. Practical: a hat is meant to protect you from the elements. When you're inside, you're not protecting your head from anything.

2. Fashion piece: it's considered outdoor wear and is removed along with overcoats and gloves upon going inside.

2. Courtesy: men used to regularly wear hats to formal occasions, theaters, etc. Imagine sitting in a theater and every guy is rockin' a stove pipe hat. It was a courtesy to remove it.
By number...
1. People really don't understand that most people wearing hats aren't wearing them to be protected from the elements? It's part of the outfit.

2. I can understand 'You're inside now, so take off your coat.' But I actually think it's a little rude for someone to take offense to me wearing my coat inside if I want to. Same with my hat.

3. Well of course it's courteous to remove your damn ten gallon hat.
laugh.gif
But a simple New Era that barely adds to your overall height? This is the main one I have a problem with, the 'courtesy' reasoning. The only reason it's courteous is because it's polite. And the only reason it's polite is because it's courteous.
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

ThunderChunk69:
there was a thread on it before.
Cool.
dmbrhs:
Couple reasons:

1. Practical: a hat is meant to protect you from the elements. When you're inside, you're not protecting your head from anything.

2. Fashion piece: it's considered outdoor wear and is removed along with overcoats and gloves upon going inside.

2. Courtesy: men used to regularly wear hats to formal occasions, theaters, etc. Imagine sitting in a theater and every guy is rockin' a stove pipe hat. It was a courtesy to remove it.
By number...
1. People really don't understand that most people wearing hats aren't wearing them to be protected from the elements? It's part of the outfit.

2. I can understand 'You're inside now, so take off your coat.' But I actually think it's a little rude for someone to take offense to me wearing my coat inside if I want to. Same with my hat.

3. Well of course it's courteous to remove your damn ten gallon hat.
laugh.gif
But a simple New Era that barely adds to your overall height? This is the main one I have a problem with, the 'courtesy' reasoning. The only reason it's courteous is because it's polite. And the only reason it's polite is because it's courteous.
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

I was speaking in traditional terms as to why you remove your hat indoors. And people like tradition, so it's extended mainly to courtesy now.

And the way some people wear their NE's, it's just as annoying to sit behind as any other hat.

I was speaking in traditional terms as to why you remove your hat indoors. And people like tradition, so it's extended mainly to courtesy now.

And the way some people wear their NE's, it's just as annoying to sit behind as any other hat.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Same with beards.
Not really. You can't just take a beard off your face at any given moment, so not removing can't be seen as a slight.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Same with beards.
Not really. You can't just take a beard off your face at any given moment, so not removing can't be seen as a slight.

I agree with PersiaFly. It does present yourself without hiding under a Yankee fitted (or Angels).

I agree with PersiaFly. It does present yourself without hiding under a Yankee fitted (or Angels).

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

I hate this.. I get mad stares for wearing my hat to a restaurant. .
Would you choose not to wear a hat if you were at an upscale restaurant and everyone was in suits or evening wear? Or would you still wear a hat regardless of the quality of restaurant?

If it's the former, then you recognize and adhere to the same social "expectations" as those who stare at you... it's just they're more strict about it.

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

I hate this.. I get mad stares for wearing my hat to a restaurant. .
Would you choose not to wear a hat if you were at an upscale restaurant and everyone was in suits or evening wear? Or would you still wear a hat regardless of the quality of restaurant?

If it's the former, then you recognize and adhere to the same social "expectations" as those who stare at you... it's just they're more strict about it.

Back
Top Bottom