Why take off your hat? After all these years, I've never discussed this on here

i heard the reason why is because back in the cowboy days, a gambler hid a pistol under his hat and snuck it into a poker game and ended up shooting a man he thought was cheating.
and since then you gotta take off your hat or get shot.

sounds like the best story to me.

i heard the reason why is because back in the cowboy days, a gambler hid a pistol under his hat and snuck it into a poker game and ended up shooting a man he thought was cheating.
and since then you gotta take off your hat or get shot.

sounds like the best story to me.

Forgot to reply to this...
PersiaFly:
I think as a practical matter, it's just a gesture of removing barriers between yourself and others, sort of a way to show your desire for social interaction. A hat usually hangs over your head and conceals/shields some parts of your face. By taking it off you are presenting yourself to another without barriers.
I'm sue I don't even speak for the majority of people who wear hats as fashion accessories, but... sometimes, 'social barrier' is half the reason I'm wearing a hat. I don't want to be bothered, looked in the eye as I'm walking, or approached. Just want to go do what I have to do and get on with whatever else I have to do.

PersiaFly:
I think as a practical matter, it's just a gesture of removing barriers between yourself and others, sort of a way to show your desire for social interaction. A hat usually hangs over your head and conceals/shields some parts of your face. By taking it off you are presenting yourself to another without barriers.
I'm sue I don't even speak for the majority of people who wear hats as fashion accessories, but... sometimes, 'social barrier' is half the reason I'm wearing a hat. I don't want to be bothered, looked in the eye as I'm walking, or approached. Just want to go do what I have to do and get on with whatever else I have to do.

Originally Posted by biff lawson

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
I Live In Texas wrote:

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
avyyyyyyyyy is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

All time greatest
pimp.gif
Got to see him live before he died.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

PersiaFly:
That's understandable, but I think you sort of answered your own question here. Wearing hats in certain situations is frowned upon because "social barriers" are frowned upon in certain situations. Whether it's the anthem, or entering someone's house, or sitting down for a meal with someone; in certain situations you are expected to remove those barriers. 
To me the whole "indoors" thing is sort of overbroad though. To me it comes down to whether you are expected to socialize in a given situation, whether or not it's indoor.

- Someone's house: remove.

- Sit down to eat: remove.

- Shopping malls, post offices, gyms: don't need to remove. 

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

PersiaFly:
That's understandable, but I think you sort of answered your own question here. Wearing hats in certain situations is frowned upon because "social barriers" are frowned upon in certain situations. Whether it's the anthem, or entering someone's house, or sitting down for a meal with someone; in certain situations you are expected to remove those barriers. 
To me the whole "indoors" thing is sort of overbroad though. To me it comes down to whether you are expected to socialize in a given situation, whether or not it's indoor.

- Someone's house: remove.

- Sit down to eat: remove.

- Shopping malls, post offices, gyms: don't need to remove. 

Just read the OP post. Is someone really not gonna take off their hat for a judge though? They dont need no damn reason/logic. You're gonna do it anyway. As for a restaurant situation, I say take it off. Imo it gives off the vibe that you don't wanna be there. And if that's the case, get up and leave. It shows lack of manners and since I think I'm a reflection of my family I take off my hat.

Just read the OP post. Is someone really not gonna take off their hat for a judge though? They dont need no damn reason/logic. You're gonna do it anyway. As for a restaurant situation, I say take it off. Imo it gives off the vibe that you don't wanna be there. And if that's the case, get up and leave. It shows lack of manners and since I think I'm a reflection of my family I take off my hat.

Y'all really feel that way about a backwards hat, too? Or a beanie?

If my hat is flipped backwards, I'm 'socially open', for lack of a better phrase. So the reason people still get huffy is...?

And I've noticed it's not even just old people on some 'You kids get off my lawn' vibe. I've had people in their 30s and 40s at work in dining hall tell me 'No one ever taught you to take your hat off, bro?' w/ a half smile.

I'm very much about no drama these days, so I just take it off, but I still think exactly what I said in the beginning of the thread. "Why do you need my hat off to enjoy your meal, guy?"

Y'all really feel that way about a backwards hat, too? Or a beanie?

If my hat is flipped backwards, I'm 'socially open', for lack of a better phrase. So the reason people still get huffy is...?

And I've noticed it's not even just old people on some 'You kids get off my lawn' vibe. I've had people in their 30s and 40s at work in dining hall tell me 'No one ever taught you to take your hat off, bro?' w/ a half smile.

I'm very much about no drama these days, so I just take it off, but I still think exactly what I said in the beginning of the thread. "Why do you need my hat off to enjoy your meal, guy?"

I don't look at beanies the same way as hats, and backward hats solve the problem, but those are dumb to wear for different reasons. Wearing a beanie inside always looked idiotic to me. A beanie IS meant to protect your head from the elements. And a backwards hat just looks juvenile on anyone over 25.

But I guess if you sit down to eat with me and you're wearing a baseball hat, I'd probably appreciate if you flipped it backwards.

I don't look at beanies the same way as hats, and backward hats solve the problem, but those are dumb to wear for different reasons. Wearing a beanie inside always looked idiotic to me. A beanie IS meant to protect your head from the elements. And a backwards hat just looks juvenile on anyone over 25.

But I guess if you sit down to eat with me and you're wearing a baseball hat, I'd probably appreciate if you flipped it backwards.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

i haven't taken off my hat at da request of anyone in years.
Dat NYC disrespect
pimp.gif

To add to the topic, why must I take my hat off during the national anthem also??

Originally Posted by ninjahood

i haven't taken off my hat at da request of anyone in years.
Dat NYC disrespect
pimp.gif

To add to the topic, why must I take my hat off during the national anthem also??

The beanie thing, I never associated with cold weather until I moved out of CA.
laugh.gif
I'm still perfectly fine wearing a beanie in 90 degree weather, because that's how I grew up. But because of where I live now (tri-state area of OH/WV/KY), where people only wear beanies when it's cold, I do the same... but only because I don't want to deal with people questioning me all day. "Damn, did you read the weather wrong today?" No, I like beanies. Why are you wearing jeans? It's 93 outside. But that's for another topic.
laugh.gif

So Persia, if it were you and me and a bunch of our friends out to eat and a couple of us had on baseball hats, worn forward, you'd be... what? Offended? Bothered? Curious? Or when you said if I were to sit down and eat with you w/ a hat on, were you just meaning if it were you and me only?

Back
Top Bottom