Why weren't the Space Jams released back in 1996?

As I look at the 2011 concords I finally received. I can't help but think back to 1995-96 when the Air Jordan XI first released and I actually passed on the black/reds because I wanted to get the Space Jams. At the time the internet was in its infancy so you actually relied on Sneaker Managers for information. I use to ask week in and week out when they where coming out by pointing to the poster with Jordan wearing the Space Jams.

5558686967_0d8278d92b_m.jpg

I was told around Christmas 95 originally. Then many months later told the day the movie Space Jam was released.
nerd.gif

But, I never understood why they weren't released. Michael Jordan popularity was at an all time high at the time. The Sneakers sold out everywhere at least in NYC. Space Jams was huge success and the end was more or less a commercial for the shoe to any sneaker head. (The only line I remember from the movie was. "Cool Shoes".) So what's the deal, why weren't they released? Anyone know?

I always wondered too. In high school I got the og concords, columbias and the black/reds. I even remember when the movie came out, they had the Space Jam jerseys made by Champion. I was wondering if they would drop the matching XI's to go with the MJ jersey, but never did. I think it would of sold quite well then.
laugh.gif

I know J's back then didn't sell quickly like they do now (well in my area back in the day, took weeks or even a month or so to sell out) Maybe they believed the market wasn't strong enough then? Or maybe exclusivity hype for people to see the movie just to get a glimpse of the XI's. 
laugh.gif

I'm curious to know what the reasons were.

I actually hated the Concords at first, me and my friends use to crack on them as moon boots. (Now, my all time favorite shoes).

I remember one of my best friends obsession with the Columbia's got me into them. Dude was literally in love with them. He kept pictures of them in his books, locker, and in his pocket. I couldn't afford them when they came out at the time though.

When the black/reds came out I was disappointed I thought the bottoms looked nothing like the pair MJ wore on the court. They looked almost pink on the bottom. I passed on them and went with the Air Penny's in all black. The only pair of OG Air Jordan XI's I had where the XI ie lows in black/red. I loved those shoes and wore them till they fell apart. Still remember when Mike torched the knicks for 44 points in the playoffs in those.

I agree with OP's initial thought on XI's. I hated them too, I thought they looked too girly for a basketball shoe, but they too are my favorite shoe. But dude, even back then I knew those "all black" Jordans weren't going to be released because they were exclusives for the movie. So essentially they were a movie prop at the time and weren't going to be released. I thought everyone knew this.

I think it was the simple fact that at the time most colorways of a specific Jordan model were distinctly different from the others. I would imagine Nike thought by releasing 2 black based Air-Jordans in the same year they would only be competing with themselves.

Beh has a good point. It's probably just like the Air Mags from BTTF.. originally just movie props until they realized that everyone really did think that the shoe was
pimp.gif
 so they decided to release them.

Originally Posted by dankenstien88

I think it was the simple fact that at the time most colorways of a specific Jordan model were distinctly different from the others. I would imagine Nike thought by releasing 2 black based Air-Jordans in the same year they would only be competing with themselves.

I think the og black/reds were released around april 1996Right when the playoffs started. And then the lowsin june. As the sales of the XI were good with all3 mid colors, and many people still missed them outLike me, i also never umderstood why nikeDid not release the space jams at the same timeWith the movie in late 1996.Maybe they did not want to hurt the sales ofThe XII taxis? I dont know, but imo they really should release themand not in december 2000
smile.gif

That's a very good point, but after the Air Jordan X in multiple city exclusive colors I thought those rules where thrown out the window. (God I wish I didn't sell my Knicks colorway Air Jordan Xs)

I think it was because they black/reds just released and they are similar colorways. Nike didn't want them to sit.

I remember like 10 years ago there was a post like this and the conclusion was that the space jams looked too similar to breds, that's why it was never released.

Just wasnt. was only made for the movie, and his PE. But there were samples and the OG mold is awesome straight
pimp.gif

probably the same reason that they were spaced out in 00-01, they look too similar, for the most part its just the soles and the jumpman.

for whatever the reason was, i will never forget, my brother and I wondering back in 96 why they werent released. We both wanted them so bad.

This was such a major let down for me back then. I remember seeing MJ wear them in the 1995 playoffs (before the movie Space Jam came out) and just wishing they'd release soon. First came the Concords, then the Columbias. I just knew they'd release in time for the 1996 playoffs, but was disappointed that only the black/reds released. I was hoping they'd drop in the summer, but they never came. When it was announced that they were gonna retro them in 2000, I saved for a few months and bought 6 pairs of them!

I still think of them as the (post Concord) XI's in the 1995 playoffs.
Not from freakin' Space Jam, lol.

AND

I think of them and the Concords as being designed in White Sox/Birmingham Barons colorways, not for the Bulls until the Black/Red XI.
Does anyone else think about that?

Hmmm... Good question OP.
But I would guess because of JB's plan to drop the breds? Iono..

Originally Posted by super23freak

I still think of them as the (post Concord) XI's in the 1995 playoffs.
Not from freakin' Space Jam, lol.

AND

I think of them and the Concords as being designed in White Sox/Birmingham Barons colorways, not for the Bulls until the Black/Red XI.
Does anyone else think about that?

Never really thought about it until now but I think there definantly is somthing to that.  Im willing to bet the white/black/red IX and Steel Xs were inspired by the Barons uniforms and the colorway worked so well JB released 50/50 white/black colorways through the XIV.

I never understood and still don't know where the concord purple came into the equation though ?  Anyone got any ideas ?   
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by StillIn729

sad part is I bet 90% of people owning Space Jams think they did come out in 96
lol. I cringe when I hear people calling the 2000 Space Jams "OG's".

Its funny that it was probably the populararity of the xi that sort of paved the way for Mj wearing a home and road colorway the next.wo years including two blk based playoff sneakers

Originally Posted by JIM SHADY2003

Its funny that it was probably the populararity of the xi that sort of paved the way for Mj wearing a home and road colorway the next.wo years including two blk based playoff sneakers
maybe, but dont forget he did the home/road colorway with the IIs first

Back
Top Bottom