Will Dominicans (and other dark skinned latino americans) Ever Embrace Their "Blackness" ?

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Originally Posted by Diego

Shouldnt we first worry about a term that All African Americans can agree on?
cosign.gif

? African Americans are from Africa- I don't understand the statement.

as i've heard, also read on this message board many-a-time the case is that blacks have no relation or knowledge of where they came from thanks to the slave trade that it's somewhat a slap in the face to be called AA, due to so many being unable to trace their roots.
yeah, they should worry about classifyin themselves before they judge hispanics...apparently they're still confused on what to call eachother.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by SoFreakinWavy

I mean i don't understand how they don't when some ya'll are darker then normal african americans

and most dominicans are dark skinned only the middle class and upper class or ny domincans are light skinned

What does that even mean?
If youre not past a certain shade youre not a normal AA?

Money said " only middle & upper class dominicans is light skinned".... da rest of us is indentured servents?
grin.gif
Some Black ppl seem to be salty that hispanics don't have a skin tone identity problem We come as dark or as light as they come and it doesn't matter cuz our hispanic culture is what Binds us together.

sammy_sosa-skin.jpg

alex-rodriguez-estates-a-rod.jpg

right back at you....

my mother has sisters as LIGHT as a-rod...she's da darkest one..so because she's more colored then her siblings she's da only one that has to pretend she's african?
eyes.gif

black people in da United states were forced to just be labeled black regardless of their ethnicity...Hispanics DONT allow that to happen to themselves, thats da difference.

at da end of da day like i said MILLIONS of times here, hispanics do not identify as black because we got our own traditions and culture, black people don't subscribe to

what we do so they don't chill around us.

You missed the point, you made a statement that color-insecurities/complexes don't exist in the Hispanic community which is simply false. I've heard from older Latino immigrants from countries like Cuba that color discrimination is very prevalent in Latin culture. MJ Sosa's obviously bleached skin (possible vitiligoed
grin.gif
) is an example of a color complex.

Not sure why you posted A-rod...I have Dominican friends that are lighter than many Europeans people I know. That wasn't the point I was making with that picture.

You keep using the word "black", there's no such thing as black culture. I think you may be referring to African Americans or Black American culture. There are many distinct cultures within the African/Black diaspora. Many latinos embrace being a part of the African diaspora, some don't. It's their choice really.

I guess what i want you to take away from this is that "Black" is a race not an ethnicity or culture.

I mean i don't understand how they don't when some ya'll are darker then normal african americans

and most dominicans are dark skinned only the middle class and upper class or ny domincans are light skinned

Money said " only middle & upper class dominicans is light skinned".... da rest of us is indentured servents?
grin.gif
Some Black ppl seem to be salty that hispanics don't have a skin tone identity problem We come as dark or as light as they come and it doesn't matter cuz our hispanic culture is what Binds us together.

sammy_sosa-skin.jpg

right back at you....

my mother has sisters as LIGHT as a-rod...she's da darkest one..so because she's more colored then her siblings she's da only one that has to pretend she's african?
eyes.gif

black people in da United states were forced to just be labeled black regardless of their ethnicity...Hispanics DONT allow that to happen to themselves, thats da difference.

at da end of da day like i said MILLIONS of times here, hispanics do not identify as black because we got our own traditions and culture, black people don't subscribe to

You missed the point, you made a statement that color-insecurities/complexes don't exist in the Hispanic community which is simply false. I've heard from older Latino immigrants from countries like Cuba that color discrimination is very prevalent in Latin culture. MJ Sosa's obviously bleached skin (possible vitiligoed
grin.gif

Not sure why you posted A-rod...I have Dominican friends that are lighter than many Europeans people I know. That wasn't the point I was making with that picture.

You keep using the word "black", there's no such thing as black culture. I think you may be referring to African Americans or Black American culture. There are many distinct cultures within the African/Black diaspora. Many latinos embrace being a part of the African diaspora, some don't. It's their choice really.

I guess what i want you to take away from this is that "Black" is a race not an ethnicity or culture.

both of my parents are light an of course so am I and I have green eyes lol most of my family are lightskinned also only a couple are dark

both of my parents are light an of course so am I and I have green eyes lol most of my family are lightskinned also only a couple are dark

First of all who gave anyone here the autonomy to say what roots are? I mean yeah history and science states that its Africa, but if people dont wish to acknowledge that....so be it. I dont know why people get in such a fuss over who doesnt embrace what. If your Dominican and do not acknowledge some your African roots I will love you all the same.

The real question to ask is why dark skinned and light skinned Dominicans have problems. THEN we can have a debate about ancestry....

First of all who gave anyone here the autonomy to say what roots are? I mean yeah history and science states that its Africa, but if people dont wish to acknowledge that....so be it. I dont know why people get in such a fuss over who doesnt embrace what. If your Dominican and do not acknowledge some your African roots I will love you all the same.

The real question to ask is why dark skinned and light skinned Dominicans have problems. THEN we can have a debate about ancestry....

AntonLaVey wrote:

Cronicmolemolereturns wrote:

Diego wrote:

cosign.gif

as i've heard, also read on this message board many-a-time the case is that blacks have no relation or knowledge of where they came from thanks to the slave trade that it's somewhat a slap in the face to be called AA, due to so many being unable to trace their roots.

yeah, they should worry about classifyin themselves before they judge hispanics...apparently they're still confused on what to call eachother.

laugh.gif

I have to agree with you ninja, they really don't like being called aa but they want to forget all the things that happend back in those days. Why like being called black then?

Doesn't make sense at all.
smh.gif

AntonLaVey wrote:

Cronicmolemolereturns wrote:

Diego wrote:

cosign.gif

laugh.gif

I have to agree with you ninja, they really don't like being called aa but they want to forget all the things that happend back in those days. Why like being called black then?

Doesn't make sense at all.
smh.gif

562, who said that? That's false. Africans don't like to be called African Americans.

Ninjahood, you're a disgrace. More proof that the New York City public school system failed you. If it aint the Heights or the Android OS you're useless.

562, who said that? That's false. Africans don't like to be called African Americans.

Ninjahood, you're a disgrace. More proof that the New York City public school system failed you. If it aint the Heights or the Android OS you're useless.

The ethnic composition of the Dominican population is 73% multiracial, 16% white, and 11% black.[sup][1][/sup]The multiracial population is primarily a mixture of European and African;[sup][23][/sup] research has shown that at least 15% of Dominicans have Taíno ancestry.[sup][71][/sup] The country's population also includes a large Haitian minority. Other ethnic groups in the country include West Asians—mostly Lebanese, Syrians and Palestinians.[sup][citation needed][/sup] A smaller, yet significant presence of East Asians (primarily ethnic Chinese and Japanese) can also be found throughout the population.[sup][citation needed][/sup] Europeans are represented mostly by Spaniards, Germans, Italians, Portuguese, British, and French.[sup][citation needed][/sup] There are also tens of thousands of people from the United States.[sup][citation needed][/sup]

A system of racial stratification was imposed on Santo Domingo by Spain, as elsewhere in the Spanish Empire.[sup][citation needed][/sup] Its effects have persisted, reaching their culmination in the antihaitianismo of the Trujillo regime, as the dictator used racial persecution and nationalistic fervor against Haitians.[sup][47][/sup][sup][72][/sup] A U.N. envoy in October 2007 found racism against blacks in general, and Haitians in particular, to be rampant in every segment of Dominican society.[sup][73][/sup]According to a study by the CUNY Dominican Studies Institute, about 90% of the contemporary Dominican population has West African ancestry to varying degrees.[sup][74][/sup] However, most Dominicans do not self-identify as black, in contrast to people of West African ancestry in other countries. A variety of terms are used to represent a range of skin tones, such as moreno/a (brown), canelo/a (red/brown) ["cinnamon"], indio/a (Indian), blanco/a oscuro/a (dark white), and trigueño/a (literally "wheat colored", or olive skin).[sup][75][/sup]

Ramona Hernández, director of the Dominican Studies Institute at City College of New York asserts that the terms were originally a defense against racism: "During the Trujillo regime, people who were dark skinned were rejected, so they created their own mechanism to fight it." She went on to explain, "When you ask, 'What are you?' they don't give you the answer you want ... saying we don't want to deal with our blackness is simply what you want to hear."[sup][76][/sup]

[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic#cite_note-miamiherald-75[/sup]

[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Republic#cite_note-miamiherald-75[/sup]

This wiki article is interesting for several reasons

-Defense mechanism "racism" and color discrimination by refusing to be labeled. I found this very profound, combating racism by denying the idea of racially based class structure. Don't know how well this has been working in Latin countries tho. I hear there is still very much discrimination based on skin color....race or no race.

-Technically, in the U.S. by the drop of African blood rule Dominicans are in the black race. If Obama is black, certainly Dominicans are "black" ACCORDING TO THIS DEFINITION. (I don't agree with this bdw, just something to point out).

-This argument is proof that the concept of "race" is pretty %$##$ arbitrary and a social construct

-Now if we're talking about culture, Dominicans certainly have their own culture that is "different" from other "Black" cultures.

-Dominicans don't have to identify themselves as being in the black race, I do think they should at the very least acknowledge their obvious West African Ancestry though. 

-At what dilution of blackness can a Dominican be regarded as Black (I'm clearly playing Devil's advocate here, those labels are probably self-imposed). But the Dominican population is 11 percent black. What are the criteria for someone to be labeled as black in the Dominican Republic?

[sup]
[/sup]

The ethnic composition of the Dominican population is 73% multiracial, 16% white, and 11% black.[sup][1][/sup]The multiracial population is primarily a mixture of European and African;[sup][23][/sup] research has shown that at least 15% of Dominicans have Taíno ancestry.[sup][71][/sup] The country's population also includes a large Haitian minority. Other ethnic groups in the country include West Asians—mostly Lebanese, Syrians and Palestinians.[sup][citation needed][/sup] A smaller, yet significant presence of East Asians (primarily ethnic Chinese and Japanese) can also be found throughout the population.[sup][citation needed][/sup] Europeans are represented mostly by Spaniards, Germans, Italians, Portuguese, British, and French.[sup][citation needed][/sup] There are also tens of thousands of people from the United States.[sup][citation needed][/sup]

A system of racial stratification was imposed on Santo Domingo by Spain, as elsewhere in the Spanish Empire.[sup][citation needed][/sup] Its effects have persisted, reaching their culmination in the antihaitianismo of the Trujillo regime, as the dictator used racial persecution and nationalistic fervor against Haitians.[sup][47][/sup][sup][72][/sup] A U.N. envoy in October 2007 found racism against blacks in general, and Haitians in particular, to be rampant in every segment of Dominican society.[sup][73][/sup]According to a study by the CUNY Dominican Studies Institute, about 90% of the contemporary Dominican population has West African ancestry to varying degrees.[sup][74][/sup] However, most Dominicans do not self-identify as black, in contrast to people of West African ancestry in other countries. A variety of terms are used to represent a range of skin tones, such as moreno/a (brown), canelo/a (red/brown) ["cinnamon"], indio/a (Indian), blanco/a oscuro/a (dark white), and trigueño/a (literally "wheat colored", or olive skin).[sup][75][/sup]

Ramona Hernández, director of the Dominican Studies Institute at City College of New York asserts that the terms were originally a defense against racism: "During the Trujillo regime, people who were dark skinned were rejected, so they created their own mechanism to fight it." She went on to explain, "When you ask, 'What are you?' they don't give you the answer you want ... saying we don't want to deal with our blackness is simply what you want to hear."[sup][76][/sup]

This wiki article is interesting for several reasons

-Defense mechanism "racism" and color discrimination by refusing to be labeled. I found this very profound, combating racism by denying the idea of racially based class structure. Don't know how well this has been working in Latin countries tho. I hear there is still very much discrimination based on skin color....race or no race.

-Technically, in the U.S. by the drop of African blood rule Dominicans are in the black race. If Obama is black, certainly Dominicans are "black" ACCORDING TO THIS DEFINITION. (I don't agree with this bdw, just something to point out).

-This argument is proof that the concept of "race" is pretty %$##$ arbitrary and a social construct

-Now if we're talking about culture, Dominicans certainly have their own culture that is "different" from other "Black" cultures.

-Dominicans don't have to identify themselves as being in the black race, I do think they should at the very least acknowledge their obvious West African Ancestry though. 

-At what dilution of blackness can a Dominican be regarded as Black (I'm clearly playing Devil's advocate here, those labels are probably self-imposed). But the Dominican population is 11 percent black. What are the criteria for someone to be labeled as black in the Dominican Republic?

[sup]
[/sup]

what does culture have anything to do with ethnicity and race?

If a black dude was born and raised in China, along with most of his family before him, his nationality and culture would be Chinese, but obviously hes still black. Same thing goes for Dominicans as much as they try to deny it.

what does culture have anything to do with ethnicity and race?

If a black dude was born and raised in China, along with most of his family before him, his nationality and culture would be Chinese, but obviously hes still black. Same thing goes for Dominicans as much as they try to deny it.

For all the non-black or non-aa here, it's not that big of a deal if you a black person or AA. I've only seen those on NT moan about it.

For all the non-black or non-aa here, it's not that big of a deal if you a black person or AA. I've only seen those on NT moan about it.

grin.gif

sammy_sosa-skin.jpg

right back at you....

eyes.gif

grin.gif

cubans =/= every single hispanic

hispanics KNOW we have parts of black blood in us, just like we have indigenous indians from hispanola and our European captors blood....da problem is black people

shape da conversation as if we're supposed to just say we're black and disregard everything else that makes us dominican.....black people tend to lump each other

in one giant box regardless of skin tone and body features that would also indicate your mixed background, hispanics don't do that at all....especially in NYC we

are VERY detailed on our background...a rapper like Vado for example says "i ain't black im Jamaican" ..he's not saying he's denying his african roots, he's merely

putting proper context in his ethnicity.

this is probably one of da most well known salsa songs...check da visuals out...you and everyone else on Niketalk HONESTLY think we DONT know about our background?
laugh.gif
smh.gif

shame on ya if anything for lumping everyone thats "dark" as black.

grin.gif

sammy_sosa-skin.jpg

right back at you....

eyes.gif

grin.gif

cubans =/= every single hispanic

hispanics KNOW we have parts of black blood in us, just like we have indigenous indians from hispanola and our European captors blood....da problem is black people

shape da conversation as if we're supposed to just say we're black and disregard everything else that makes us dominican.....black people tend to lump each other

in one giant box regardless of skin tone and body features that would also indicate your mixed background, hispanics don't do that at all....especially in NYC we

are VERY detailed on our background...a rapper like Vado for example says "i ain't black im Jamaican" ..he's not saying he's denying his african roots, he's merely

putting proper context in his ethnicity.

this is probably one of da most well known salsa songs...check da visuals out...you and everyone else on Niketalk HONESTLY think we DONT know about our background?
laugh.gif
smh.gif

shame on ya if anything for lumping everyone thats "dark" as black.

black "'african americans"' have no idea who they really are but you're questioning us on our ancestry?
laugh.gif
how ironic.

black "'african americans"' have no idea who they really are but you're questioning us on our ancestry?
laugh.gif
how ironic.

Back
Top Bottom