Will Lunars ever reach Air Max status?

pimp.gif
Good afternoon NT, 
I was just thinking about how popular AM's are 20+ years after their original releases; how iconic and classic 1's, 90's, 95's etc. are (they even have their own team on NT), I then looked down and noticed I was wearing a pair of lunareclipse's, My first pair of Lunars. So I ask NT, do you think Lunars will ever be up there with AM's and other basketball classics from the 90's in terms of followings, popularity, and sought-after-ness? I know they have their own team on NT, but Lunars have nowhere near the following as Air Max's has in terms of numbers yet.

Edit: Mods please move to Nike

I don't think so... But if ever there will be a sought after classic from the Lunar line it's gonna be the Lunar Glides 1 & 2

Originally Posted by MaxSwoosh713

pimp.gif
Good afternoon NT, 
I was just thinking about how popular AM's are 20+ years after their original releases; how iconic and classic 1's, 90's, 95's etc. are (they even have their own team on NT), I then looked down and noticed I was wearing a pair of lunareclipse's, My first pair of Lunars. So I ask NT, do you think Lunars will ever be up there with AM's and other basketball classics from the 90's in terms of followings, popularity, and sought-after-ness? I know they have their own team on NT, but Lunars have nowhere near the following as Air Max's has in terms of numbers yet.

Edit: Mods please move to Nike

No.

The End.

I'll have to say no also. The fact that it hasn't picked up a greater following by now showcases this. AM's are just on another level, but Lunars will sooner or later get a decent collabo. I think that the success that will come from collaborations with artist and major companies will either make or break any chance of  Lunars taking over.
grin.gif

I'm still waiting for a Footscape Woven x Lunar shoe.
nerd.gif

i think they will if they continue to push designs and quality just dont oversaturate by releaseing too many designs. callobs would only help also i think it will take time much like the air max 1 did.

The LunarEclipse in the grey/neon colorway had a "gotta have that" effect on me when I saw it in person.  Reminded me of being in high school and seeing the 1995 Nike collection at Footlocker.  The OG LunarTrainers also have a really good following.

I can't remember the last time an Air Max did that to me...  (Probably 1997, and I own 2003s, 2009s and 2010s.)

Probably not. Time, marketing, the use of sports stars of the period (think Bo Jackson, McEnroe, Agassi, Penny, etc) they all helped to drive the sales of Air Max, along with the iconic commercials. Anyone endorsing Lunar racers in the same fashion?

Don't think Nike is going to put in the work on Lunars the way they did Air Max. Air max is like their bread & butter. They know we're suckers for the Air Sole units. So shiny & pretty....

As much as I LOVE Lunars, I don't think they'll have the same following AMs. However, I definitely feel they have a few classics already (LunarTrainer and LunarEclipse). This is kind of in the same lines as... LeBrons / Kobes / Durants compared to Jordans, imho. You have a couple of up and coming footwear being compared to an already established foundation. Of course, people will always consume the classics, but, simultaneously, people are taking notice to the new generation of footwear. Time will tell. 

No matter how well a shoe works from a performance standpoint, classics are defined by aesthetics, plain and simple.  That's not gonna happen w/ Lunar

Originally Posted by d e beatup

No matter how well a shoe works from a performance standpoint, classics are defined by aesthetics, plain and simple.  That's not gonna happen w/ Lunar

Trufe

I agree. However, the LunarEclipse, imo, is the most aesthetically pleasing contemporary running sneakers Nike has dropped in a while with the AM2009 following it.

Originally Posted by SupraTurbo619

The LunarEclipse in the grey/neon colorway had a "gotta have that" effect on me when I saw it in person.  Reminded me of being in high school and seeing the 1995 Nike collection at Footlocker.  The OG LunarTrainers also have a really good following.

I can't remember the last time an Air Max did that to me...  (Probably 1997, and I own 2003s, 2009s and 2010s.)

I definitely know what you're saying!

Originally Posted by ILLustRAYt

I agree. However, the LunarEclipse, imo, is the most aesthetically pleasing contemporary running sneakers Nike has dropped in a while with the AM2009 following it.

Originally Posted by SupraTurbo619

I definitely know what you're saying!

I agree that the LunarEclipse is an EXCELLENT shoe and I love the design because of how discreetly it flows.  The same reason I like it is the reason why many customers may walk into FNL and pass on it though.  The average customer just wants something that looks good first and functionality is an afterthought.  Admittedly, I am one of them ('09 SJ's feel HORRIBLE out the box but I still copped multiples).

Take the ZK3, 2K4, and 2K5 - three great, top-line performance basketball sneakers they put out back-to-back-to-back.  Even though the 2K4 was the best of the trio performance wise, there's a reason it is on NikeID 7 years after the fact - the masterful work Eric Avar did to make the shoe look excellent on court and off.

It is interesting to see them applying the Lunar tech in other categories, such as the new NZs with a lunar midsole, Wildwoods, etc.  It's only a matter of time before NSW tweets about the first AF1 x Lunar combo

I agree that the LunarEclipse is an EXCELLENT shoe and I love the design because of how discreetly it flows.  The same reason I like it is the reason why many customers may walk into FNL and pass on it though.  The average customer just wants something that looks good first and functionality is an afterthought.  Admittedly, I am one of them ('09 SJ's feel HORRIBLE out the box but I still copped multiples).

Take the ZK3, 2K4, and 2K5 - three great, top-line performance basketball sneakers they put out back-to-back-to-back.  Even though the 2K4 was the best of the trio performance wise, there's a reason it is on NikeID 7 years after the fact - the masterful work Eric Avar did to make the shoe look excellent on court and off.

It is interesting to see them applying the Lunar tech in other categories, such as the new NZs with a lunar midsole, Wildwoods, etc.  It's only a matter of time before NSW tweets about the first AF1 x Lunar combo

If they can do that to the 2K4, I have hopes for the LunarTrainer to return to iD
eek.gif
. I missed out in 2008-9
mad.gif
. A Lunar X AF1 is taking it too far, imo, but simultaneously interesting lol.

I'm goin with not only No but Hell No. Interesting question as it may be, I think we all know what certain shoes mean to Nike & mean to the world.  I just nabbed some AM 95s in Black/Red which are about the sickest AM's ever made this side of the 90 Infrareds and my '93's in Red/Grey/White. I also have OG '97's in the white/Navy/Yellow that I pounded on back when I used to run and they're still wearable (kinda beat but wearable) 14 years later.

I haven't even contemplated buying a pair of Lunars and while the aesthetic is cool in most cases, as stated before, it's on a different (lower) level than the AM line and while it may stand on its own, it can't stand against the mighty Air Max.  There's too much of a legacy that cannot be messed with and too many classic AMs designed along the way Nike can thrive off of w/different colorways and releases for many years to come.

The contruction's another side-aspect to this... I really don't see Lunars holding up as well or as long as most any pair of Air Max's.  Like I said, I put lots of miles on my '97s and they're more than wearable.  Will we be talkin about Lunars in 15 years from now?  I not only doubt it but HIGHLY doubt it.  Not that I'm a doctor but I would think from a podiatric standpoint, Lunars are actually a poor shoe for active, foot-pounding use and that is not the case w/AMs (which my podiatrist inspected after 8+ years of wear and thought they were a really well made shoe [93 retro]).  My $0.03
glasses.gif

As a "sneaker enthusiast", I feel Lunars won't be anywhere near AM level in the "sneaker culture", meaning the masses / "sneakerheads" will not embrace them.

HOWEVER, as a PERFORMANCE sneaker, Lunars simply make AMs obsolete, imho. As a "runner", I used to run in AMs a few years ago (AM93s & AM95s) , and they were too heavy for me. I could barely get 5M in, and got blisters after every run. Wanting to stay blister-free, I tested the market for the latest tech in running, and I was attracted to a pair of LunarTrainers (my favorite performance runner of ALL TIME). Ever since then, Lunars took my running to a whole other level. I've trained for and run two full marathons in Lunars (3:30 being my PR) and even maxed out on a 30M run. My goal is to qualify to run the Boston Marathon (3H:10M) sometime soon, and I know Lunars will help me achieve it.    

They're a fantastic runner, but never going to be where AM's are. I'm looking at getting a pair of the Lunar woods in obsidian and blue for running/casual as I like the lines, but damn sure never taking the classic AM's down.

AM's are up there with Chuck Taylors, Jordans, etc as just a classic shoe.

Hell, as it's been said before, look at f'in shox.

Horrible HORRIBLE shoe!

Back
Top Bottom