Windows 7 out now

I have the RC like everyone else running on my Mac, but I got that $30 deal for one of my classes that is windows only.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

So who's throwing a party?
Funny you ask, a guy on my floor is, because he a techie already, but he e-mailed or called microsoft and they sent him a bunch of Windows 7stuff, including 7 professional.

I installed 7 a few months back and it apparently has issues with my ATI HD Radeon 4870 video card. It worked fine for a few days then every time I would getto the desktop at start up the screen would go black (apparently a compatibility issue from checking some message boards at the time).

Still using Vista Home Premium 64-bit, I wish there was a way to see if this problem has been corrected.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by BdeaZy

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

I got mine for free, I'm a student. Does that make you a fool?

Yes because I dont know how to use torrents and read readme.txt files. I'm a fool.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Is it true that you have to format your computer to install it?

I would also like to get the student discount, I still have my college email address and I remember someone saying that all you need is that.

No. The student discount versions only have upgrades (the one that upgrades from your current version of windows. IE, you dont have to format). They offer Premium and Professional for the same price. I copped Pro.

haha you are a fool, nobody mentioned torrents. I don't use torrents. why you bring that up (foolish) I got Windows 7 Pro/Enterprise free
Storefront URL: http://msdn01.e-academy.com/dvc_cs
Date of Order: 2009-09-29

Product: IT Academy Course: Windows Server 1 Download @ $0.00 USD = $0.00 USD

Product: Virtual PC for Mac 7.0.2
1 Download @ $0.00 USD = $0.00 USD

Product: Windows 7 Language Pack (x64) - DVD (Multilanguage)

Product: Windows 7 Language Pack (x86) - DVD (Multilanguage)

Product: Windows 7 Professional (x64) - DVD (English)

Product: Windows 7 Professional (x86) - DVD (English)

Product: Windows Server 2008 Enterprise and Standard - DVD

Product: Windows Server 2008 Enterprise and Standard 64bit - DVD

Product: Windows XP Professional with SP3 (Single User) ISO Image

Product: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (x86) - CD (English)

Method of Payment: No Charge

Serial Number
===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====

are you going to hook it up with a link?
happy.gif

you can get it for free if your studying CS, MIS, IT, etc... usually the school should have an msdnaa account with microsoft that you are allowed to access forpersonal use...

Originally Posted by dopestop

Yes because I dont know how to use torrents and read readme.txt files. I'm a fool.

I would also like to get the student discount, I still have my college email address and I remember someone saying that all you need is that.

No. The student discount versions only have upgrades (the one that upgrades from your current version of windows. IE, you dont have to format). They offer Premium and Professional for the same price. I copped Pro.

haha you are a fool, nobody mentioned torrents. I don't use torrents. why you bring that up (foolish) I got Windows 7 Pro/Enterprise free

Serial Number
are you going to hook it up with a link?
happy.gif

word hook it up!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I installed 7 a few months back and it apparently has issues with my ATI HD Radeon 4870 video card. It worked fine for a few days then every time I would get to the desktop at start up the screen would go black (apparently a compatibility issue from checking some message boards at the time).

Still using Vista Home Premium 64-bit, I wish there was a way to see if this problem has been corrected.
smh.gif
i have that card the 1gb model, and its running perfectly. did you have the RTM version of windows 7 ?

ive been using windows 7 for about a month now. but i got it through a download from my schools website. how do i check if im using the beta version or if ihave the actual version. anybody know?

Originally Posted by sole vintage

I installed 7 a few months back and it apparently has issues with my ATI HD Radeon 4870 video card. It worked fine for a few days then every time I would get to the desktop at start up the screen would go black (apparently a compatibility issue from checking some message boards at the time).

smh.gif
i have that card the 1gb model, and its running perfectly. did you have the RTM version of windows 7 ?
Early version OEM.

Originally Posted by SuperVi11ain

ive been using windows 7 for about a month now. but i got it through a download from my schools website. how do i check if im using the beta version or if i have the actual version. anybody know?
go to run and type in system information the actual version is build 7600

smh.gif
Early version OEM.
probably a bug im using ultimate 64bit and no issues with the card

Serial Number

DAAAAAAAAMN!!!! That's good information!!! I'm at school right now. I'm gonna see if I can get someone to enroll me into that program.

smh.gif
Early version OEM.
I'm going to try to get the latest version if it then. Is upgrading from Vista 64-bit to 7 seamless? I don't want to have to re-installprograms again or be stuck with a windows old folder.

Thanks for all the input sole, I haven't had any complaints with anything you recommended me (d-link router, mobo, etc).
pimp.gif

smh.gif
Early version OEM.
I'm going to try to get the latest version if it then. Is upgrading from Vista 64-bit to 7 seamless? I don't want to have to re-install programs again or be stuck with a windows old folder.

Thanks for all the input sole, I haven't had any complaints with anything you recommended me (d-link router, mobo, etc).
pimp.gif
no problem bud. upgrading to windows 7 does leave you with that windows old folder which sucks, but i recommended a fresh install.

Hmmmm looks like I gotta take my laptop to Best Buy tomorrow. Hope they dont screw up my computer if they insist that they install W7.

Originally Posted by rodster831

So hold on, if I have the 32-bit version and get the 64 bit, I'll lose
everything that I have saved? Including music from iTunes?
I hate technology for this reason
Always back up everything just in case.

Sucks I'd have to do a clean install AGAIN but I miss 7.
frown.gif

I'm looking for places in Orlando selling it at 12am and I'm thinking about taking a personal day tomorrow.

Yes. It's that serious.

Originally Posted by rodster831

So hold on, if I have the 32-bit version and get the 64 bit, I'll lose
everything that I have saved? Including music from iTunes?
I hate technology for this reason
Always back up everything just in case.

Sucks I'd have to do a clean install AGAIN but I miss 7.
frown.gif
it'll ACTUALLY throw everything into a folder called windows.old

EVERYTHING from your old set up....now not all of your programs will work though, but it'll be there, taking up as much space as it does now, i installed 7on a few computers, only one was able to just "update"....then again everything else was running XP lol

I just got off the phone with one rep' from Best Buy customer service. First of all, she told me it releases next week, but I told her "isn't ittomorrow, the 22nd?" and she corrected herself.

I purchased my Sony Vaio in August at Best Buy, and have a sticker on the laptop that says Upgrade to Widows 7. I called to verify whether or not I have to payfor the upgrade or not. I was told it is free. She then redirected me to another rep that would explain to me how to get the disc, but I was on hold for about15 min, got impatient, and hung up.

When getting the upgrade through Best Buy, does anyone know how I get the upgrade? Do I bring my laptop to an actual Best Buy and let GeekSquad do it?

If so, I may go tomorrow, maybe not. Bound to be crowded with people doing the same thing.

Originally Posted by bkmac

I just got off the phone with one rep' from Best Buy customer service. First of all, she told me it releases next week, but I told her "isn't it tomorrow, the 22nd?" and she corrected herself.

I purchased my Sony Vaio in August at Best Buy, and have a sticker on the laptop that says Upgrade to Widows 7. I called to verify whether or not I have to pay for the upgrade or not. I was told it is free. She then redirected me to another rep that would explain to me how to get the disc, but I was on hold for about 15 min, got impatient, and hung up.

When getting the upgrade through Best Buy, does anyone know how I get the upgrade? Do I bring my laptop to an actual Best Buy and let GeekSquad do it?

If so, I may go tomorrow, maybe not. Bound to be crowded with people doing the same thing.
check here http://www.microsoft.com/...fers/upgrade-option.aspx
or here for best buy http://www.bestbuy.com/si....c?id=pcmcat186100050003

just follow the instructions to get a free windows 7 upgrade if you're eligible, i got a confirmation email a couple days ago and they will be sending mew7 through mail within the next week or so.

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

I've seen what them Geeksquad mofos be doing to customer's computers. Shady.
i concur. bkmac, stay away from geeksquad. give a tech savvy friend 25 bucks to back up your stuff and install it

Back
Top Bottom