With all the garabage that comes out of UFC fans mouths....

No offense to MMA fans, because I do respect the sport because it takes a lot of guts to go in that ring knowing someone is gonna get KOed or damn near have alimb ripped off. But I dont ever see it having the PPV draw that a boxing match between two good fighters will have.

What where the final numbers for the PPV buys?

Originally Posted by socluis90

No offense to MMA/UFC (whatever you call yourselves) fans but I still see it as a very minor league sport as does most of the country. I know your sport is growing but boxing is international and until MMA reaches that stage you will always be considered a minor league sport to the average joe. Hell I think if you were to ask most people on the streets if they've even heard of it most would say no.

When one fighter can pull in the attention of a whole country like Marquez did today or Pacman does then you know you've made it. Til then good luck with your sport growing and don't get to butt hurt at people like us just telling you what we think.

OP shoulda titled this thread "with all the garbage that comes out of socluis90's mouth..."

I mean geez... it really takes some effort to look THAT ignorant with 3 sentences. Congratulations bro.

Some others have already disproved everything you said, so theres no sense in repeating it. As far as MMA not ever reaching the levels that boxing did, Ithink the jury is still out. Boxing in its heyday was huge. There is no disputing that. As an avid MMA fan and casual boxing fan, I think that it is goingin the right direction and there is a good possibility (although nothing is certain) that it will become the dominant mainstream combat sport in this country. I got both cards over the weekend (JMM v. PBF and UFC 103). Watched the UFC event live while the boxing card was recorded on the Tivo, and watched that oneafterwards. My problem with boxing PPV's is that in many cases you are essentially paying for 1 fight (albeit a big one) with a buncha filler. On a UFCcard you may have 2 (or in the case of UFC 100... 3) main event caliber fights on the card. Furthermore, even the other cards on the bout often feature guyswho are making some noise and could potentially move up to the upper echelon of their weight class with a good victory. If MMA events start going that route,then I can see how they might fall off. No one wants to pay $50 to watch 1 championship caliber fight and then a buncha nobodies.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

well go ahead and break it down for me

Cause neither of these go is known for letting his hands go and Floyd is obviously the bigger and more heavy favored fighter

Just as I predicted

pimp.gif

well go ahead and break it down for me

Cause neither of these go is known for letting his hands go and Floyd is obviously the bigger and more heavy favored fighter

Just as I predicted

pimp.gif

trying to pat yourself on the back for 'predicting' that mayweather doesnt brawl.
laugh.gif

how ever would anyone make such a bold and unforseen 'prediction'?
eyes.gif

that's pretty sad.

Boxing takes a lifetime of dedication and an insane amount of skill. For someone like brock to come in and just be dominate cause hes 6.3 500 pounds is why Idon't really like the sport.

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

Boxing takes a lifetime of dedication and an insane amount of skill. For someone like brock to come in and just be dominate cause hes 6.3 500 pounds is why I don't really like the sport.
THIS.

...is ignorant.

Are you serious? That's all Brock does? He was only a world class freestyle wrestler. People simply ignorant to the sport of wrestling don't putvalue on take downs, take down defense, and ground control. They don't understand the intricacies of the clinch. The arm positions, the weightdistribution, the flat out technique it takes to either stay off the ground or put someone on it.

Brock's wrestling combined with his size, strength, and athleticism make him a problem.

You wouldn't know that and you don't care. It's cool. I can understand that.

But at least fake it and act like you know. Saying all that nonsense, as if MMA takes less skill is ridiculous.

Comparing skill levels of boxers vs. mixed martial artists is like comparing the skill levels of Carl Lewis and Jerry Rice.

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

Ufc did 2.4 million buys but of course it didn't do as well. It's a catchweight fight up against a championship mayweather fight. I'm sure it did at least 7 mill buys.

How could you even think the Floyd Mayweather vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight could pull 7 million buys when the most that Boxing ever sold was 2.4 Million buyswhen Oscar De La Hoya fought Floyd Mayweather.

No way would a fight pull 7 million buys.

And Boxing > MMA/UFC in terms of people buying Boxing PPV over MMA/UFC

Here is a list of the top six selling PPV events ever:

1. 5/5/07 - Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr. - 2,400,000 buys
2. 6/8/02 - Lennox Lewis vs. Mike Tyson - 1,995,000 buys.
3. 6/28/97 - Mike Tyson vs. Evander Holyfield II - 1,990,000 buys
4. 11/9/96 - Mike Tyson vs. Evander Holyfield - 1,600,000 buys
5. 8/19/95 - Mike Tyson vs. Peter McNeely - 1,580,000 buys
6. 7/11/09 - UFC 100 - 1,500,000 buys

That was my mistake, I confused gate with buys and figured whatever 103 did, boxing had to triple it. I'll eat crow

"UFC 103 drew a $2.4 million gate and 17,428 attendees to the American Airlines Center, according to the promotion."

Boxing takes a lifetime of dedication and an insane amount of skill. For someone like brock to come in and just be dominate cause hes 6.3 500 pounds is why I don't really like the sport.

Lesnar finished his amateur career as a two-time NJCAA All-American, 1998 NJCAA Heavyweight Champion, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten ConferenceChampion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106-5 overall in four years of college. Yeah he learned wrestling overnight.

Clutchshooter wrote:

trying to pat yourself on the back for 'predicting' that mayweather doesnt brawl.
laugh.gif

eyes.gif

Obviously no one else saw that coming as people actually spent money on that snoozefest

laugh.gif

Clutchshooter wrote:

that's pretty sad.

Someone is maaaaaaaaaaaaaadddd

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by socluis90

No offense to MMA/UFC (whatever you call yourselves) fans but I still see it as a very minor league sport as does most of the country. I know your sport is growing but boxing is international and until MMA reaches that stage you will always be considered a minor league sport to the average joe. Hell I think if you were to ask most people on the streets if they've even heard of it most would say no.

When one fighter can pull in the attention of a whole country like Marquez did today or Pacman does then you know you've made it. Til then good luck with your sport growing and don't get to butt hurt at people like us just telling you what we think.
this is some remedial spewage right here...

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Boxing takes a lifetime of dedication and an insane amount of skill. For someone like brock to come in and just be dominate cause hes 6.3 500 pounds is why I
don't really like the sport.
THIS.

...is ignorant.

Are you serious? That's all Brock does? He was only a world class freestyle wrestler. People simply ignorant to the sport of wrestling don't put value on take downs, take down defense, and ground control. They don't understand the intricacies of the clinch. The arm positions, the weight distribution, the flat out technique it takes to either stay off the ground or put someone on it.

Brock's wrestling combined with his size, strength, and athleticism make him a problem.

But at least fake it and act like you know. Saying all that nonsense, as if MMA takes less skill is ridiculous.

Comparing skill levels of boxers vs. mixed martial artists is like comparing the skill levels of Carl Lewis and Jerry Rice.

The rules of UFC are totally wack though. If your a big dude you can just ground and pound and its over. The Japanese style is much better that doesn'treally let grappling that much.

are you really going to try and compare a mayweather fight to one of the random PPVs that the UFC throws together?

Clutchshooter wrote:

laugh.gif

eyes.gif

Obviously no one else saw that coming as people actually spent money on that snoozefest

laugh.gif

seriously stop fronting.

there's nothing difficult to understand about the fact that mayweather is a draw despite his defensive, technical style.

if you're a boxing fan, you know that.

Stringer Bell 32 wrote:

Clutchshooter wrote:

that's pretty sad.

Someone is maaaaaaaaaaaaaadddd

Someone is reeeeeeaaaaaaaching.

Boxing takes a lifetime of dedication and an insane amount of skill. For someone like brock to come in and just be dominate cause hes 6.3 500 pounds is why I
THIS.

...is ignorant.

Are you serious? That's all Brock does? He was only a world class freestyle wrestler. People simply ignorant to the sport of wrestling don't put value on take downs, take down defense, and ground control. They don't understand the intricacies of the clinch. The arm positions, the weight distribution, the flat out technique it takes to either stay off the ground or put someone on it.

The rules of UFC are totally wack though. If your a big dude you can just ground and pound and its over. The Japanese style is much better that doesn't really let grappling that much.

If that's all you had to do, guys like Mark Coleman and Tito Ortiz (who ironically are fighting each other at 106) would still be at the top of theirrespective weight divisions.

They simply aren't because it takes such a more well rounded fighter to dominate a division. Brock isn't there yet. He's winning, but he's notdominating. If he can get passed a guy like Big Nog, who in my mind has the best jiu jitsu in the UFC HW division, then I'll start considering it. He'snot clearly better than those in his division.

Look at the people that dominate their divisions:

GSP (170)
BJ Penn (155)
Anderson Silva (185)

Those 3 guys have the total package and are clearly the best in their divisions. Neither of them are great at one single thing, but they've put together arepetoire of skills that are unmatched by anyone they've faced in recent years within their weightclass.

The heavier weightclasses don't have these clear cut dominant forces in their divisions because, like boxing, strength, size, and power come more into playwith the success of the fighters. Fighters at these weights are forced to keep more muscle mass to maintain the strength needed to compete at that division,sacrificing endurance, speed, flexibility, and quite frankly, skill.

The Brock Phenomenon you speak of may seem odd. He's not some unskilled gorilla out there. The guy is freakishly gifted physically, that's for sure. But ground n' pound isn't some something anybody can do.

THIS....is ignorant.
The fact that Brock, other than wrestling, had next to none MMA experience but was given a title shot after a few fights, proves that MMA isinferior to boxing competition wise. I don't care how stellar you amateur boxing career was (Golden Gloves titles, Olympics, etc.), you must climb the proladder and prove yourself. They have been many cases in boxing where fighters with exceptional amateur resumes fail at the pro ranks.

THIS.

...is ignorant.

*Cue Rock clapping GIF*

Boxing fans swear MMA is a bunch of nobodies going in there and just swinging for the fences.... shame
smh.gif

The rules of UFC are totally wack though. If your a big dude you can just ground and pound and its over. The Japanese style is much better that doesn't really let grappling that much.
Please stop. The only thing wack is your understanding of the UFC, mma, whatever. And please don't pretend that you've watched a lot ofJapanese mma either. Clearly, it's not the case.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

chris boshs neck wrote:

THIS....is ignorant.
The fact that Brock, other than wrestling, had next to none MMA experience but was given a title shot after a few fights, proves that MMA is inferior to boxing competition wise. I don't care how stellar you amateur boxing career was (Golden Gloves titles, Olympics, etc.), you must climb the pro ladder and prove yourself. They have been many cases in boxing where fighters with exceptional amateur resumes fail at the pro ranks.

i dont know if i should be offended or if i should agree with you.

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Please stop. The only thing wack is your understanding of the UFC, mma, whatever. And please don't pretend that you've watched a lot of Japanese mma either. Clearly, it's not the case.

i know, right?
laugh.gif

duke keeps getting his ignorant self put in his place yet wont let it go.

You lost buddy, you obviously know nothing about MMA yet continue to speak as if you do.
smh.gif
smh.gif

In Japan, they love grappling. They can appreciate and understand the techniques. You will NEVER hear anyone booing when they take the fight to the ground. Asfar as Brock getting a title shot so quick is a matter of getting the ufc exposure. I'm certain none of you knew of any HW champs before you heard Brocksname. You understand that Brock lost his first fight in the UFC right? He was still given another shot. Why? Once again, exposure.. It's pretty simple...Someone who has that amount of athletic ability and experience is a handfull for anyone. He takes you down and you're not getting back up. Keeping a BJJblackbelt or collegiate wrestler on the ground, eating your shots is no easy task. Hell, I'd like to see any of you guys saying mma is so easy keep a bluebelt down.

laugh.gif
@ exposure being a good excuse...

Brock just walked in and took a title.

MMA is by far the easier sport.......

Back
Top Bottom