Wizard fans -- taking it back to 2008 -- Read, WEEP, RESPOND!

While I think Marshall will be a fine PG in the league..... You don;t trade John Wall...... YET!

John Wall's lack of development (opposed if he was with another organization, outside the Bobcats) is living proof that the Wizards problems start from up top.

I never blame the players when it comes to the Wiz.

No matter WHO comes here, issues will arise because it's all organizational.

eyes of hazel wrote:

No matter WHO comes here, issues will arise because it's all organizational.

This is a fact. I think that management obviously needs change but I do think there are some players who can come in and at least partially change the culture... MKG is one of those guys to me... Just wants to play hard and win. I think that can rub off on some of our current players.... Or at least put them on notice

LOLOLOLOL at the thought of trading John Wall in favor of Kendall Marshall.

Wes Unseld wouldn't even do that. Please stop.

Wes might would have consider it.

His track record says so, especially if Marshall has "high character"... lololol.

And to think, I was upset about taking on Nene's garbage contract... it just keeps getting worse for Wizards fans.  What else is new?
I was actually hopeful when Leonsis took over that it would represent the end of the Wizards' miserly, penny pinching past.  I couldn't have been more wrong.

Decent coaches like Nate Macmillan, Jerry Sloan, and Brian Shaw are on the market?  Nah, let's keep RANDY WITTMAN, because he's still under contract - oh, and let's bring back Ernie Grunfeld while we're at it.  Nobody else could acquire toxic waste in exchange for what will eventually become the world's largest expiring contract.  It's the right move at the right time!

Yes, you had to wait another full year before dumping 'Shard, but rather than do that, amnesty him, or buy him out, as New Orleans certainly will, the Wiz, in their infinite wisdom, decided to snag the 2nd and 3rd highest paid players on one of the only teams arguably WORSE than they are.  Meanwhile, the team we "suckered" into taking Gil off our hands has long since washed their hands of the whole affair and has moved on.  

Now our salary woes - ignoring Nene's titanic cap hold - extend a full year longer.  There's absolutely no way that Trevor Ariza turns down his player option, meaning the Wizards are committed to this horribly flawed core until the EXACT moment that John Wall becomes a restricted free agent and will surely demand a max contract.  

I guess Bradley Beal is the pick now, huh?  

So, you 've got a poor man's Eric Gordon, Trevor Ariza, and Emeka Okafor.  Congrats, Ernie:  you've assembled the very roster Chris Paul couldn't stand playing with - and you think JOHN WALL is going to put them in contention?  

Welcome back to Washington, perpetual mediocrity! 

WHAT are they doing?

This team doesn't even have to be good; I'd settle for watchable. Wall, Beale, Ariza, Okafor, and Nene are NOT a watchable core.

I think my investment in season tickets when Jordan came back is some of the best money I've ever spent. The memories of following MJ in person for two years will last my lifetime. I never thought something like that was possible. The Gil years were also very entertaining. The team was flawed and wasn't going to win a championship, but we had a legit superstar in DC and made the Playoffs four years in a row. The direction of the team the last few years has been deplorable. Tickets to three quarters of the games are practically worthless. The team is dreadful. It's only worth going to see the other teams' superstars.

I was excited for the Leonsis tenure, too, but he's way too business-minded. I agree with the Junkies; I'd rather Snyder be running the Wiz.

I agree with the Junkies; I'd rather Snyder be running the Wiz.
I don't think I'd go THAT far, but I understand the sentiment:  you'd rather have an owner who wants to win at any cost than the Eastern Conference's answer to Donald Sterling.  
You don't take on two toxic contracts because you'd rather pay two overpaid players to play than pay one overpaid player to sit on the bench.  You do what NO is GOING to do and just buy him out.  Get the players you WANT at the salaries you WANT.  I'd rather use our cap space and throw max money at Hibbert or Gordon and force their teams to match than shell out for this middling garbage.  If you're going to overpay, at least overpay on players with some upside.  At least they'll retail value.  We couldn't make a run at Rudy Gay or something?  

Lewis' contract would become a major bargaining chip when it came to term.  You dumped him when his value was at its LOWEST and you took on even longer term liabilities for the privilege.  New Orleans isn't a huge destination for free agents.  Watch what happens to their cap space.  They're not going to do any WORSE than Ariza and Okafor, I'll tell you that much.  

As of two weeks ago, New Orleans had the 10th pick on the block for teams willing to take on Ariza's salary.  We took on both of their WORST contracts and WE were the ones who gave up a pick!  

I can't believe fans are satisfied by this deal.  

There is NO worse situation in the NBA than being a borderline playoff team.  That's what we are now.  We are, at best, looking at 8th-12th place in the East.  That's not how you get better.  That's how you stay bad

If the core of Arenas, Jamison, and Butler wasn't good enough - and it wasn't - why in the world are we wasting our time with Wall, Ariza, Okafor, and Nene?  

What's the theory here, that our young players will benefit from the expert tutelage of EMEKA OKAFOR?  Yeah, that's how to they'll learn to reach their full potential.  

The Wizards were already the worst team in the league with regards to player development.  Randy Wittman and a new nucleus of overpaid underachievers isn't going to help matters.  Not ONE player on this "upgraded" roster could start for a contending team.  Not ONE.  

Way to go, Ted.

You're absolutely right - we have no one here that can start on a contending team. And I don't see it being an exciting brand of noncontending ball, either. As you said, four straight playoff appearances weren't going to result in a title, but Arenas, Jamison, and Butler were fun to watch and they all made All-Star teams. So far the best we've seen from anyone on the current roster is a great performance in a Rising Stars Challenge all-star game. Where are the points going to come from on this team? No one is averaging 20 points on this team and the roster isn't built to take a Philly or Indiana approach to making the playoffs without a 20-ppg scorer.

And, yes, that's exactly what I meant with the Snyder comment. At least he makes moves with winning in mind. While Snyder is criticized for signing too many overhyped free agents, I'd LOVE the Wiz to make an attempt at signing a free agent once in a while. I think that would be more sucessful in the NBA than the NFL where one or two players make a big bigger difference. I also think that Ted will find that the "build through the draft" approach doesn't translate well from hockey to basketball. I guess San Antonio and OKC did it, but they were lucky to get generational talents with their top-two picks; we got John Wall. Then they actually hit on their other picks. We drafted Jan Vesely at 6th and the Spurs got Ginobili at 57th overall. They get Tony Parker at 28th and we trade 5th for Mike Miller and Randy Foye for a season.

yall cats gotta be patience gotta let these trades soak in.
No Lockout = FULL Training Camp
Just wait, like john wall said his rookie year "8th seed"

Dont see how this isnt a step in the right direction, we get rid of an awful contract and dead weight with Lewis for two players that can come in and contribute. True we dont have the most attractive roster in the league but how arent we a little better after this trade? Hoping Andray is on his way out as well and soon.

We created a monster 
ohwell.gif

19qjau.jpg

c4d36cbc6166c3977203124c36f104e2543e60be_r.jpg

Maaan, bunk all that taking it back to 08 foolishness. LOL. The last time I was excited about the Wizards, they were the Bullets playing at the Capital Center back inthe 9596 season. Rasheed had just been drafted & Robin Ficker was steady yelling behind the opposing bench (I miss that dude). Look at the squad they had back then....

32 Mitchell Butler
40 Calbert Cheaney
34 Michael Curry
21 Ledell Eackles
1 Greg Grant
5 Juwan Howard
23 Tim Legler
42 Cedric Lewis
55 Bob McCann
22 Jim McIlvaine
77 Gheorghe Muresan
14 Robert Pack
54 Mike Peplowski
20 Brent Price
15 Mark Price
12 Kevin Pritchard
34 Bob Thornton
30 Rasheed Wallace
4 Chris Webber
42 Jeff Webster
12 Chris Whitney

I'm interested in the trades they just made getting Ariza & Okafur along with who they might select in the draft. It might be a good mix of old & young players.

Don't invest in a Wall jersey.

If you're cheap, don't even invest in the $20 "jersey t" they sell at Champs.

He's history.

We'll get the 8th pick in 2013 NBA Draft.

We'll be WAY over the cap with non trade-able assets at the time Wall walks.

The young assets here will develop and do better once they LEAVE D.C.

Slogan:  "Business as usual with professional basketball in D.C... 25 years and counting..."

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

Wall has a team option for 13-14. After that when he will be able to roll out.... The only salaries we currently have on the books that are guaranteed are Blatche (hopefully amnestied by then) and Nene... Not saying he will stay put, but he won't be gone because we couldn't afford to pay him. Okafor and Ariza have 2 and 1 year respectfully left on their deals but Ariza has a player option that Meth referred to earlier in the thread that he'd be a fool not to exercise. Both will be here for no more than the 12-13 and 13-14 seasons.

Originally Posted by Chrisqo

We created a monster 
ohwell.gif

19qjau.jpg
laugh.gif
 He's in for a rude awakening come July 1st.
Don't invest in a Wall jersey.

If you're cheap, don't even invest in the $20 "jersey t" they sell at Champs.

He's history.

We'll get the 8th pick in 2013 NBA Draft.

The young assets here will develop and do better once they LEAVE .C.

Slogan:  "Business as usual with professional basketball in D.C... 25 years and counting..."

He's not going anywhere within the next few years. The restructured CBA made it more likely for guys to start extending their rookie deals w/ the teams that drafted them. No other team can pay him as much as we can after next year.
At WORST, you'll see him do a deal similar to Kevin Love just did w/ Minnesota. Short term extension w/ an opt out clause after x amount of years if he doesn't like where the team is headed. If Minnesota isn't competitive in the next 2 years...his contract is structured so that he can jump ship. John Wall will more than likely do the same thing.

These youngins are all about their money. They not going to leave millions on the table. Worst case scenario....John Wall is a Wizard til '16.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Originally Posted by Chrisqo

We created a monster 
ohwell.gif

19qjau.jpg
laugh.gif
 He's in for a rude awakening come July 1st.
I've talked to D.A. recently.

It's a wrap for him.  He won't be in the L three full seasons after the Wiz free themselves of him.

Overseas you go...

Can someone please tell me what the advantage was to making this awful trade BEFORE the draft?  Grunfeld made some nebulous comment about how he thought he knew what was going to happen at 1 and 2 - but that's assuming Charlotte doesn't trade their pick.  In love with an undersized 2?  Of course, you are, if you're in the Wizards' front office, but if you LIKE Thomas Robinson as a 4, and certainly he projects out better than anyone we have as of today other than John Wall, then why not WAIT and see what happens?  What is the point of showing your hand this early?  

If I'm Charlotte picking #2 right now, what's to stop me from taking Beal and holding him hostage?  "Oh hi, Ernie.  We know Beal's your guy - and we'll give him to you.  Just draft Robinson for us and send us pick #32."  You KNOW Washington's stuck at that point.  What choice would they have?  You can't take Robinson after trading for Nene AND Okafor (yet ANOTHER reason the Nene move was stupid.) 

Meanwhile, Cleveland's supposedly contemplating a move that would send #4 and #24 to Charlotte for #2.  This makes even MORE sense for the 'cats and completely screws Washington, as the Wizards' backup plan is supposedly MKG.  Charlotte winds up with their guy, Robinson, at #4, the Cavs land their guy, Beal, at #2, and the Wiz are stuck with no respectable 2 and a sudden logjam at the 3, thanks to their incomprehensible selection of Vesely last season and their boneheaded acquisition of Trevor Ariza.  Now Singleton, who showed some signs of being genuinely useful when he wasn't reminding us that he attended Florida State, is buried at the end of the bench.  

There's a good chance that the Wizards will manage to blow the draft anyway.  (It's tradition.)  Before this trade, however, at least you could sit there and say, "hey, just take the best player available.  We still need everything BUT point guard."  Now your hands are tied because you've squandered all your cap space and the ghost of Abe Pollin will never allow the team to pay $21 million for Okafor and Ariza to become the new Rashard and Andray.

There is no team in the NBA more futile than the Wizards.  In my entire life, they've won ONE playoff series.  

Say what you want about the Bobcats, but at least Charlotte reached the postseason in 2010 and, if I had to bet, they'll probably win a series before the Wizards do.  At least their notoriously cheap front office has joined the 21st century and invested in modern stat tracking and scouting systems.

It's enough to make me long for the days when Wes Unseld was calling the shots.  At least those bad teams had character.

Originally Posted by Method Man

There is no team in the NBA more futile than the Wizards.  In my entire life, they've won ONE playoff series.  

Until this moment I had not realized this.

frown.gif

Yeah, how bad they've been can't be overstated. They made the Playoffs once in the 90s. The current four-year Playoff drought is barely half of the seven-year drought bridging the end of the 20th century and the beginning of the current one.  Of course, they missed the Playoffs eight straight years before the single Playoff appearance in the 90s. So we're talking missing the Playoffs 19 of the last 24 years, including 15 out of 16 to start this streak. It's not even that difficult to make the Playoffs in the NBA. More than half of the league gets in. Only four straight appearances in the Gilbert Era keeps it from being one of the most laughable runs in the history of sports, if it isn't anyway. They've actually won two Playoff series in my lifetime, but one was a Best-of-3 first-rounder in 1982, so I don't remember it.

You know what might be more depressing than the Playoff history, though? They haven't even had a really successful regular season in decades. The Wizards haven't won as many as 46 games in a season in 33 years. Every other team in the NBA has at least one season better than that just in the last decade (except the Bobcats, but they haven't been around for 10 years yet and even they have a 44-win season already).

People have to be realistic about something: The Wizards have a slim chance of ever being a championship franchise in the future.

Unless you're in a major market or you are lucky to have an elite talent dropped in your lap via the draft (OKC, SA, etc.)...you're not going to win an NBA championship. With that said...I just want to be competitive. I'll settle for being a 3-6 seed year in a year out. Things wouldn't be so bad.

As for next year...I'm a bit concerned about our lack of scoring. We're going to be putting an AWFUL lot of pressure on Beal in year one to put points on the board night in and night out. We're going to need Wall to up his average to about 20-22 a night.

Back
Top Bottom