Wizards trade number #5 pick...

The Washington Wizards have acquired Minnesota Timberwolves guards Randy Foye(notes) and Mike Miller(notes) for Etan Thomas(notes), Oleksiy Pecherov(notes) andDarius Songaila and the fifth pick in Thursday's NBA draft, a league executive with knowledge of the deal told Yahoo! Sports Ringling Broth

My-T.

^your not looking at the bigger picture. we finally get rid of the poet, along with pech who are both dead weight..Darius is a consistent and serviceablebackup..those contracts alone are absurd on top of the money the "Big 3" is making..sure we're letting go of the #5 but there isn't a pickoutside of Blake Griffin in this year's draft that can help us NOW..

You get Foye and Miller in return who's contracts will be up after the upcoming season..Mike Miller was not a fit in Minnesota, let's be real..he canprovide much needed outside shooting which left us when Stevenson decided to take his vacation during the season..DeShawn has stated hes healthy again and backto 07-08 form but I dont believe it..either way Miller is a definite upgrade.

I like most have a feeling Ernie is not done yet..there is still this Amare talk and either Jamison or Butler will be moved (I'm hoping Jamison) and maybesome others (James, Blatche)..the middle is locked up already with Haywood and McGee, if we can somehow land Amare and put him at PF that would be insane.

3358mc8.gif

The man made it useless for a reply from me.

My-T.

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

You get Foye and Miller in return who's contracts will be up after the upcoming season..Mike Miller was not a fit in Minnesota, let's be real..he can provide much needed outside shooting which left us when Stevenson decided to take his vacation during the season..DeShawn has stated hes healthy again and back to 07-08 form but I dont believe it..either way Miller is a definite upgrade.

I like most have a feeling Ernie is not done yet..there is still this Amare talk and either Jamison or Butler will be moved (I'm hoping Jamison) and maybe some others (James, Blatche)..the middle is locked up already with Haywood and McGee, if we can somehow land Amare and put him at PF that would be insane.

First Par: Yeah, I peeped that after overall just being pissed at us not getting a draft pick in return.

2nd. Par: This NEEDS to happen... or you can bank on another 30 win season, with that said... I'm a little mad Crittendon is about to get burried on thebench with Foye clearly becoming a back-up point, since he was the closest thing to a Pure point that we have. With that said, I hope we can trade awayStevenson in effort to get STAT...

Let's call it what it is: this is a salary dump.

This is ol' penny pinching Abe Pollin back at it again, refusing to dip into the luxury tax range. Does anyone really think the Wizards will be majorplayers in the 2010 sweepstakes because of this move?

They'd damn well better not be done, because their anemic front court just got weaker and even emptier. You traded away two front court players (Peshdoesn't count) for a pair of jumpshooters whom you may or may not keep.

If you MUST make a salary-saving trade with the Wolves... WHY Mike Miller? WHY? Ryan Gomes is a better player, period. Take on Gomes and Craig Smith, a bruiserWiz fans know all too well. Shoot, take back Gomes and Shelden Williams, then terminate his team option and let him walk. Mike Miller couldn't even make animpact when he played on the USA squad in 06, and he was three years younger, shooting two feet closer, and surrounded by far better talent to space the floorfor him. He's not the answer from distance - he's just another defensive liability. If you're writing this season off in pursuit of the 2010mirage, you may as well go with Deshawn - because you're stuck with him until 2011, he's an adequate perimeter defender, and you may as well try tofind a role for him.

This trade is poor value for the #5. Foye's decent, but what's his role on this team? 6th man? Shooting guard? Do you go Arenas Foye Butler JamisonHaywood? Perfect: a team capable of shooting 40% from the floor that can't defend the interior or beat anybody on the glass. Just what you need to competeagainst Boston, Cleveland, and Orlando. If you're gonna roll the dice on Foye panning out, you might as well have used the pick yourself. Suddenly,Jordan Hill's looking pretty good right about now.

Tell me: who are we setting our sights for in 2010? Amar'e? We could've gotten him now in a deal that included the #5. We're just gonna skip overLebron and Wade - not happening. We don't need a 40 year old Shaq or Nash. Chris Bosh? He'll have better options. Joe Johnson? What's that do forus?

The only real positive in all of this is that we dumped Pecherov.

^^I'm definitely disappointed about Critt..dude can not get minutes with any team..Foye is solid but I'm hoping we give Critt a bigger role..aftergetting screwed by not getting Blake, the best option would have been to let go of the #5..there are no standouts this year besides Griffin..if we held on tothe #5, we would have held on to those contracts which I wanted the Wizards to take care of as their first priority this offseason ..and Minnesota i'massuming was the only team willing to take money for those

and Meth, Miller is by far a downgrade when compairing defense to DeShawn, but let's be real..Stevenson is done as far a solid contributor to ourteam..I'd rather much take a shot at Miller who had NO chemistry with Minnesota. He was far more serviceable in Orlando and Memphis..I think he has thattype of role here.

either way, it's still a smoke screen for the upcoming season. I would like to see Amare land in D.C., I would like to see Gil healthy, I would like to seeNick Young live up to his expectations..I want to see a lot of things..playoff contenders? no doubt. BUT, we need to make that next move to get into the toptier of teams, otherwise all the other young teams will just pass on by..

one things for sure, moves are being made..and it started with Eddie Sinbad getting the axe.

is this what we want for the upcoming season?

Arenas/Foye/Critt
Miller/NY/Stevenson/Arenas
Butler/McGuire/Miller
Amare/McGee
Haywood/McGee

lol how many picks do the timberwolves have in the first round now...i thought they already had three??

more guards huh lol...not a smart move imo..why give up big men for small men when we need big men

I will reserve judgment until pre-season.

I got a feeling we are not done yet with what Flip potentially wants on the floor.

But I'm glad that #5 is gone. Truly.

This trade proves how "valuable" that #5 really was, and how "weak" this draft really is after #1.

2000 NBA Draft reloaded. I felt our 2nd round pick is more important to the team before this deal.

Before this trade, did we have the expiring contracts to possibly get Richardson from the Bucks (I don't know his contract situation)? Just wondering...Since the suns were so set on having Butler including in the potential Amare deal...

Originally Posted by Method Man

This trade is poor value for the #5.
Everywhere else but with the Bullets/Wizards.

When was the last time we drafted, developed, and got the full production of a lottery pick? Hell, a draft pick period!

[Katt Williams] "Don't worry... I'llwait...................."

if we can get someone like mcdyess (who i think is a FA this offseason, correct me if i'm wrong) it should somewhat bolster our frontcourt.

we have 7 guards..and i know for a fact grunfeld is not done making deals. hopefully he can deal mike james. i cant stand him
laugh.gif

this was a dumb trade....i think they should have held out a little longer, they could have got somethign better....there were better offers than thishonestly....but what can you expect from the wizards lol

This trade was almost as bad as trading Webber for Richmond.

The only shot the Wiz had at getting Amare is out the window, because who in the Wiz would
the Suns want for Amare.........

The only leverage they had with ANY team was the fifth pick, and now its gone.

This trade=the Wiz will be an average team at best for the next 3-5 years.

James, Wade, and Bosh will not be in a Wizards uniform.

More gaurds and no big men............
smh.gif

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

Originally Posted by Method Man

This trade is poor value for the #5.

When was the last time we drafted, developed, and got the full production of a lottery pick? Hell, a draft pick period!

[Katt Williams] "Don't worry... I'll wait...................."
Truuuu.
laugh.gif

I can somewhat see this working out if maybe we set up a nice packaged deal for a big man..

I'd give up a lot of players for a solid big man (too many to name) just know that Gil is our franchise player so him and his butt buddy Jamison are hereto stay

...then wholetime we still have another first round pick in a draft full of G/F...there will still be some pretty good players late first round, earlysecond...

I want them to bring my boy Sam Young back home to ball with the hometeam...i think hewould be good coming off the bench at 3 behing McGuire once we get rid of Caron...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Joe Cool23

The NBA's Al Davis. Dammit
smh.gif
If you're referring to EG, then I don't understand what you're getting at....his TRADE history has worked out real well for theWizards favor (hindsight thinking about what we gave up to get both Antawn and Caron)....I trust EG on this one...

I think this is a good move by the Wiz ONLY if this was the start of a trading frenzy by the team. Something has to be done to shore up the weak front court. I'm not too confident going into the season with our 5/4 players being Todd, Jamison, Blatche, and McGee.....

If this is our only move going into 09-10, then we aren't going to win more than 43 games EVEN with everyone healthy....this can't be it...it justcan't.

If Ole' boy from UConn happens to slip at #5 (with our luck, it'll happen,
ohwell.gif
), then I take back my words on this trade.

But, from what I'm reading, we basically traded Stephen Curry (who Minn wants) for Foye and Miller.
embarassed.gif

I know people were up on Jordan Hill. He will develop fine everywhere else BUT here.
grin.gif

As the East gets tougher, man, I just got my fingers crossed; that 5 - 10 standing in the East will be a crap shoot next season.

i actually thought the landry/mcgrady deal would have been a good look...but of course it wasn't gonna happen.

they did dump some contracts, but they still got the raw end of the deal if u ask me.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Joe Cool23

The NBA's Al Davis. Dammit
smh.gif
If you're referring to EG, then I don't understand what you're getting at....his TRADE history has worked out real well for the Wizards favor (hindsight thinking about what we gave up to get both Antawn and Caron)....I trust EG on this one...
I was referring to Abe, although I know he probably had nothing to do w/ thetrade.

he didn't have anything to do with the trade, but it's a known fact he needs to be pushing up daisies before this franchise can move in the directionit needs to.

[Katt Williams] "Don't worry... I'll wait...................."
I was fully in favor of trading the pick. The point isn't that the Wizards would certainly have been better off with Jordan Hill - it's arisk, obviously, but so is hoping for Foye to pan out and it's lower reward in that the best we can hope for out of Foye is superfluous given theWizards' problems don't rest at the guard spots.

The #5 is a commodity, plain and simple. Whether the draft class is good or not (and it isn't), this time of year every GM in the league thinks they canfind a budding star - on the cheap, mind you, given scale contracts - out of the lottery, and THAT is the value you're holding this up against. In otherwords: could the Wizards have received better players in exchange for this pick? To me, there's no question that's the case.

Even if, for reasons known only to Eddie Grunfeld, we were dead set on acquiring a guard or small forward, Dallas would've given you Josh Howard. TheKnicks would've given you Wilson Chandler. Portland would've parted with Travis Outlaw. Danny Ainge, up to his old tricks, might've given you RayAllen - and if you want outside shooting... who would you rather have: Mike Miller or Ray freaking Allen?

Someone explain to me how an Amar'e trade happens now. Etan's contract was a major part of that and goodness knows giving up Caron would be a mistake. More to the point, I suppose, why do you bother trading for Amar'e now if you're clearing cap room for the year he hits the FA market? If you wanthim here long term, sign him. Trading away one of your all stars just to lease Amar'e fresh off injury for a year doesn't make any damned sense -which makes it right up the Wizards' alley.

Here's your other problem: by trading Thomas and Songaila without getting ANY frontcourt player back, you leave a gaping hole that you now have to filleither by trade (and a stupid one, most likely) or free agency, signing someone marginal like Magloire, whom Grunfeld, for reasons unknown, flirted with acouple seasons back. Unless you're signing somebody to a one year deal just to duct tape the roster together, you're mitigating the cap relief youjust gained by dumping Darius.

Find me an angle to appreciate this trade from. "It's better than nothing" just ain't doing it for me.

Back
Top Bottom