Wizards trade number #5 pick...

Second straight year we sold a second round pick that could've helped us.

The trade for the #5 just seems worse and worse by the day. You look at how much stronger the East is getting - Cleveland adding Shaq, Orlando adding VinceCarter... shoot, even Atlanta adding Jamal Crawford.

Even if Arenas were to return at 100%, the BEST we can hope for is to do what Atlanta did this year - sneak into the 4/5, eke out a series win, and getslaughtered in the second round. More likely, it'll be a struggle to even get in to the playoffs and we're an injury away from another lottery -which, sadly, is probably the only way to break free from mediocrity.

Bottom line, though, is that this is not an organization that truly values winning. Abandoning these two picks purely for financial reasons sends a heck of amessage to your players and to your fans - though, admittedly, it's the same message we've had on loop for the last, oh, thirty years or so. Tonight,they just upped the volume.

Some of you may recall when Abe Pollin famously whined about his inability to turn a profit prior to the lockout in '99. Our response, today, should echoMichael Jordan's response then: "Then sell your team."

If you're not going to compete for a championship, sell your team.
Or die. I don't particularly care which.
Poor Steve Kerr, lol. Dude must think he playing a reality version of NBA Live in franchise mode or something!
Steve's looking hard for that 'reset' button...

Taylor got traded to Houston for cash considertations

Ernie better be making another damn move especially if you pass up on Blair like that. SMH

Yea Ernie lunched hard....I don't get that one at all...and word on the street is Amare is possibly on his way to Golden State for next to nothing...whatare the wiz kids doing? lol

Are yall really mad we passed on Dejuan Blair?...a 6' 9" fat boy like Glen Davis...we dont have KG he wouldve been some cut..

That boy Taylor is a pure shooter and will go good with the rockets...money is the only thing that goes good with us... we're not going to go for Lebronbut there will be a lot of free agents coming up soon...a lot could happen...maybe Bosh? (reaching? maybe..)

Truly, we will have a better season than last year with this squad...

1- gil 2-foye 3-caron 4-jamison 5- haywood and we have a solid bench with scorers that can contribute in Young, Miller, & Stevenson and size in Blatche andMcGee...we just need to develop their skill sets but thats where our downfall comes...

We can give teams a lot of different looks with this roster and im honestly content with what we are doing so far...moving forward..

Are yall really mad we passed on Dejuan Blair?...a 6' 9" fat boy like Glen Davis...we dont have KG he wouldve been some cut..

Although I'm a Bobcats fan now, can I ask you this question -- Did you watch the NBA Playoffs this past season?
laugh.gif
Glen did his thing w/o K.G.

One, the Wiz at this moment have no "real" size. Blair is that.

Two, with all the shots going up between Gil/Butler/Jamison/'Dre/NY, etc., it would have been a premium to have a guy on the roster for the first time indecades who prides himself on rebounding the ball, especially on the offensive end. I mean, the 1 - 2 dunk put-backsHaywood gets a game needs to be increased.

I see Blair of what Etan was supposed to be... for about 34 mil. cheaper... with no $$$ guaranteed to him.

Watching him in the Big East was a joy last season, and it would have been an excellent recoveryfor not getting Blake at #1 this year.

Tisk. Tisk.

Watch that boy do it for the Spurs.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

Although I'm a Bobcats fan now, can I ask you this question -- Did you watch the NBA Playoffs this past season?
laugh.gif

Two, with all the shots going up between Gil/Butler/Jamison/'Dre/NY, etc., it would have been a premium to have a guy on the roster for the first time in decades who prides himself on rebounding the ball, especially on the offensive end. I mean, the 1 - 2 dunk put-backs Haywood gets a game needs to be increased.

I see Blair of what Etan was supposed to be... for about 34 mil. cheaper... with no $$$ guaranteed to him.

Watching him in the Big East was a joy last season, and it would have been an excellent recovery for not getting Blake at #1 this year.

Tisk. Tisk.

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

Two, with all the shots going up between Gil/Butler/Jamison/'Dre/NY, etc., it would have been a premium to have a guy on the roster for the first time in decades who prides himself on rebounding the ball, especially on the offensive end. I mean, the 1 - 2 dunk put-backs Haywood gets a game needs to be increased.

Watching him in the Big East was a joy last season, and it would have been an excellent recovery for not getting Blake at #1 this year.

Tisk. Tisk.

eyes.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

Blair would have helped IMMEDIATELY. If this guy averages 6-7 boards in his rookie year, there are gonna be a lot of GM's looking foolish.

It would have been a low-risk pick as wel...I mean the dude FELL in our laps.

Now you got guys on ESPN applauding the draft strategy of the Spurs
smh.gif

EG better have an ace up his sleeve....

laugh.gif

Tisk. Tisk.

eyes.gif

What I mean is K.G. put that boy under the wing and worked with him because he was out...did you see the regular season?? Big Baby had to avg like2 points per game, if that..

Blair would not have did a thing here and we all know that...real size? McGee is a 7 footer, Haywood is a 7 footer, Blatche is 6' 10...we have a lot ofreal size...we lack real talent in the paint..

Know that Blair really IS NOT 6' 9" he's really 6' 7" +%+ pushing 8"...hes VERY SHORT just has good upper body strength...I followthe Big East heavy and watched him play..hes not Shaq and his footwork is not the best..he's not a immediate impact player at all..

He can ball with the Spurs because they have a lot of what we dont...TP, Timmy, Ginobli..

Like I said, we are looking at a pretty decent season this yr and we are really building on the low..

This draft was weak imo.. especially if a bamma like Blake Griffin is hyped so much..class full of undersized big men and one year and gone G/F's..we didntmiss much...but thats just my opinion, as always...

^
To to clarify...

Height and "real" size in the L are two different things.

By "real" size... I meant guys with "gerth" as they say down south... Blair has that "gerth" that this team lacks and hasn'thad in 25+ years.

You tell me that Haywood, JaV, and Dre' got "size" and it further leads to why I'm a Bobcats fan now.
laugh.gif

I doubt the Bobcats will do me like the Wiz have the next 25 years............

I just don't see how anyone can say that Blair could not have contributed 15-20 minutes a game for us next season. His premium/specialty is what we lack. And he would have demanded minutes. Wow... A guy that could actually give a team of shooters more shots and offensivepossessions. O RLY?

Keep this thread alive for 3 years down the road, when he makes the Spurs look genius.

EG dropped the ball... On a no risk/all reward move.

eyes.gif
@ the Wiz for passing on Blair, they couldve used him just like BigBaby when he was available...Im not a Timberwolves fan but it was idiotic of them choosing Flynn over Curry
laugh.gif

By "real" size... I meant guys with "gerth" as they say down south... Blair has that "gerth" that this team lacks and hasn't had in 25+ years.

You tell me that Haywood, JaV, and Dre' got "size" and it further leads to why I'm a Bobcats fan now.
laugh.gif

In Order:

1. AYOOOOOOO
roll.gif

2.See what Abe Pollion will do to a Lifer? Turn you into a Bobcats Fan...
3. Kev... did ya see what MJ did to assist Abe in the continuing poo poo ness that IS the Wiz...
3a. See Kwame Brown

Ok... now to chime in as always...

Dude.. REALLY? PG did you just type in the starting five and then say they are a strong 5 against others in the East?
roll.gif
Put that EG Koolaid down.

Has anyone other than me EVER seen or paid attention to the History of LeBoulez or the Wiz?

Abe has made the best of the best the worst of the worse. Let me reiterate. You come TO the Wiz for either money or to die...and then you leave to become abetter player or get a healthier contract. I feel bad for everyone hoping that EG has something up his sleeve or another Bullet in the Chamber...

ok.

I think everyone better start pickin that second team to follow like Kev..
laugh.gif

By the way.. who can fill seats this yeat at Verizon? The Half time act with the lady throwin bowls on her head from a Unicycle or the Kids doin flips? I'd rather see that.. lol.. Caron might want to see his name in a trade...

Ehh...guys like Davis, Blair, etc. are good steals.

But if they'll ever have Arenas/Redd/Millsap careers where teams will start saying "If only we had ____ we could have went far".

Blair would have been a good bruiser to come in and push people around...grab some boards. Knock down the occasional 15 footer...things like that. But he'sthe type of player that will benefit from having good veteran guys around him everyday like the ones in San Antonio. Would he look so good on the Wizards? Howmuch would we be looking at Big Baby if he played in Memphis or something?

Im Not You wrote:But he's the type of player that will benefit from having good veteran guys around him everyday like the ones in San Antonio. Would he look so good on the Wizards? How much would we be looking at Big Baby if he played in Memphis or something?
thank you.

Watch the Wizards IMPROVE this season like I said. Im not saying we're going to win the Championship, hell even get to the second round of the playoffs.BUT we will be better than we have been.

That starting 5 is very solid..check up on that boy Foye he balls...better than Harden or any of those other people we could have had with that 5 pick..

And Blair is nothing to cry over.. at all.

Originally Posted by pgsyoungsavage

Im Not You wrote:But he's the type of player that will benefit from having good veteran guys around him everyday like the ones in San Antonio. Would he look so good on the Wizards? How much would we be looking at Big Baby if he played in Memphis or something?
thank you.

Watch the Wizards IMPROVE this season like I said. Im not saying we're going to win the Championship, hell even get to the second round of the playoffs. BUT we will be better than we have been.

That starting 5 is very solid..check up on that boy Foye he balls...better than Harden or any of those other people we could have had with that 5 pick..

And Blair is nothing to cry over.. at all.

Foye is a good player, but the Wizards did not need more guards, they needed a big man.

Compared the other frontcourts in the east, the Wizards have one of the worst. Anyway you look at it.

Hill, Derozan, even Hansbrough would have been an upgrade.

Front all you want, they will be playing barely .500 ball next year.

PG.. you just said they will improve but they may not even get to the second round.

Thus.. its status quo and you think that makes them better?

Its the east... ANYONE can get to the Playoffs with a Poo Poo Record....lol

If Clev, Celts and Magic all beat up on each other.. EVERYONE has a shot...

Cept the Wiz. lol

Size is different than height. Size is a combination of height and strength. Barkley was undersized in terms of height, but he was never lacking in the powerdepartment. He played big.

Who do the Wizards have that plays big? Haywood's about it. We need some bruisers, a role Blair would'veplayed with aplomb - and you're NOT getting a cheaper big capable of crashing the boards the way Blair can. Let's say he doesn't pan out: how istaking a chance by using a 2nd round pick and committing to a non-guaranteed contract worse than SELLING the pick? Put him on the summer league team, see ifhe works out, and go from there. You can always send him to the d-league in a worst case scenario.

As a fan, you can't seriously celebrate trading a pick - which has value to us - for cash, which only has value to ownership. I care about the team on thefloor, not about Pollin's profit margins. As a fan, I will NEVER celebrate selling a draft pick - only losing organizations trade picks for cash withoutgetting ANY basketball assets in return. AT LEAST get a future 2nd rounder for crying out loud.

Co-sign on Rock & eyez' analysis but... what's this:

Although I'm a Bobcats fan now
Say it ain't so, my Cap Center compadre. We been through worse. What about the Felipe Lopez era? Remember Tyrone Nesby?

As draft trades go - at least it's not Mark Price. At least Mike Miller doesn't have a little brother.

That's sort of a moot point as, at this rate, the Bobcats won't even last 25 years.

Not with MJ OWNING them... lol

MJ is going to make Coaching the team unbearable for Coach Brown!! lololol

Anyone notice how he's sort of flown under the Radar in Charlotte....

Meth:

Not the Felipe Era!!! lololol

yall got it...everytime i say something everybody hops on and wants to argue with me...I just wanted to discuss basketball not argue with tom, !@%+, and harryabout what they heard on sportscenter ..smh

yall got it...everytime i say something everybody hops on and wants to argue with me...I just wanted to discuss basketball not argue with tom, !@%+, and harry about what they heard on sportscenter ..smh
I thought we were discussing basketball. Differing opinions aren't just a possibility, they'reessential to the process. If we all had the same thoughts on the subject, discussion would be superfluous.

For the record, I don't even watch sportscenter. I can't stand it. The fact that most people seem to think the Wizards should've kept the pickand drafted somebody to help shore up their depleted front line is hardly because Stu Scott said it (he was too busy making the same joke about the frequencyof Minnesota's draft selections all night long). It's just a low-risk, cost effective way to bring in some size.

You can think Blair's less than ideal at #32 and that's fine, I just don't see how SELLING the pick benefits the team AT ALL. Again, the contractwasn't even guaranteed. You could at least bring the guy into camp. A good business move is not necessarily a good basketball move. Basketball movesinvolve basketball assets. Cash, in and of itself, is not a basketball asset. I'm unsympathetic to the argument that a million dollars will help the teambring in talented free agents. The team isn't so cash poor that they can't keep the lights on or pay their players, and if your franchise isn'twilling to spend the money needed to compete for a title, then perhaps you're in the wrong business. If you must stay within the confines of the cap,fine.. it exists for a reason and attempts to foster competitive balance. That I can at least understand. To be miserly even within the confines of the game,though, is like a player refusing to dive for a loose ball because he has a photo shoot the next day.

Selling picks for cash while attempting to remain competitive is the ownership equivalent of point shaving.

Know that Blair really IS NOT 6' 9" he's really 6' 7" +%+ pushing 8"...hes VERY SHORT just has good upper body strength...I follow the Big East heavy and watched him play..hes not Shaq and his footwork is not the best..he's not a immediate impact player at all..
What's your point... Wes Unseld is 6'7''.... Charles Barkley is MAYBE 6'5"... If you pride yourself on going afterrebounds you're an asset to ANY team... EG loafed

Originally Posted by Method Man

yall got it...everytime i say something everybody hops on and wants to argue with me...I just wanted to discuss basketball not argue with tom, !@%+, and harry about what they heard on sportscenter ..smh
I thought we were discussing basketball. Differing opinions aren't just a possibility, they're essential to the process. If we all had the same thoughts on the subject, discussion would be superfluous.

For the record, I don't even watch sportscenter. I can't stand it. The fact that most people seem to think the Wizards should've kept the pick and drafted somebody to help shore up their depleted front line is hardly because Stu Scott said it (he was too busy making the same joke about the frequency of Minnesota's draft selections all night long). It's just a low-risk, cost effective way to bring in some size.

You can think Blair's less than ideal at #32 and that's fine, I just don't see how SELLING the pick benefits the team AT ALL. Again, the contract wasn't even guaranteed. You could at least bring the guy into camp. A good business move is not necessarily a good basketball move. Basketball moves involve basketball assets. Cash, in and of itself, is not a basketball asset. I'm unsympathetic to the argument that a million dollars will help the team bring in talented free agents. The team isn't so cash poor that they can't keep the lights on or pay their players, and if your franchise isn't willing to spend the money needed to compete for a title, then perhaps you're in the wrong business. If you must stay within the confines of the cap, fine.. it exists for a reason and attempts to foster competitive balance. That I can at least understand. To be miserly even within the confines of the game, though, is like a player refusing to dive for a loose ball because he has a photo shoot the next day.

Selling picks for cash while attempting to remain competitive is the ownership equivalent of point shaving.
Since when dont teams need more money to get better players? We're already spending BIG bread on Gil, Jamison, and Butler in case you forgot.

That whole selling picks theory is left-field to me...when is the last time we've did anything with a draft pick? Everybody we draft has to go to a teamwith good developmental coaches to thrive in this league...Rip Ham, Steve Blake, Sheed, Gugliotta, Devin Harris and the rest of our picks have been flops likeKwame Brown and Pecherov...the Wizards realize this and for this ONE draft chose NOT to take that risk...it makes sense if we can't get off in a good drafthow would we get off in a sorry draft...

and how in the hell can you compare DeJuan Blair to Wes Unseld and Sir Charles...he's no where near as good as them so whats YOUR point? Most of the toprebounders in the league are in the West anyway..the east is just starting to become a conference of big men for this upcoming season with the Cavs gettingShaq..you got Dwight and KG and thats about it...we need an all around big man that can compete with these players as a SCORER, REBOUNDER, ANDDEFENDER...especially if we're going to bang with the West for a title

Back
Top Bottom