Work/Life Balance Is Overrated

Saying this during black history month is wild

it ain’t that deep really

I’m in the field like anyone else trying to make it happen

but being happy about it?

hell nah, not even close

now if it was all for my business then yeah

and no I’m not dame dash

people take everything as working hard but in alotta cases it could be looked at as wasting time and many end up regretting not spending that time with family

The past Friday I was asked to approve some things over the weekend, above and beyond my scope and was doing a favor but hey we're all on the same team. I said sure I am more than willing to scan my email on Sunday morning and approve ___. I was told by a partner oh, well these approvals might be coming in during various times so he proceeded to ask me if I could scan my email over the weekend because these requests for your approvals will be coming in at various times.....I stopped the guy right there and said:

"look, I want to help but I am not going to be scanning my emails all weekend waiting for the request to come in, give me a couple of specific times and I'll accommodate."

Truth is a younger me would have just sucked it up and done it for the sake of my rep and ambition, but not at this stage of my career, I know my value & my boundaries, know yours.

I can get done in 40 hours what some can't get done in 60, it's not a humble brag, I am just saying I work just as hard as the person that works 60, I just am more effective with my time

Last edited:

COVID basically brought back feudalism in the modern world. Alot of people are serfs. They just don't realize it.

The government lowered interest rates "to help the average joe" when in reality wall street benefitted the most. They bought up most of the residential real estate and here we are.

When it comes to work life balance, life wins every time.

Make as much money as possible so you can escape the rat race as soon as possible. Your job doesn't care about you. They will replace you as soon as they can, at a cheaper rate.

Please don't be out here missing your kids growing up and time with your spouse so that you can make some rich dude richer. Always put yourself and your family first.

all these "dont work for the man" takes only apply to certain jobs or industries.

some people find real satisfaction in their work that's not all about money. for me it's a mutual exchange where im comfortably providing a life for myself and family while doing work that helps people and brings real satisfaction in my life.

I work from home. I have a coworker who is supposed to get off at 3pm. I get off at between 4-4:30 depending on how I feel. Most times when I log off at 4:30 this fool is still online. Now, if we were in the office you wouldn’t just hang around for 60-90min everyday. A lot of people give “free” time cause they’re remote.

all these "dont work for the man" takes only apply to certain jobs or industries.

some people find real satisfaction in their work that's not all about money. for me it's a mutual exchange where im comfortably providing a life for myself and family while doing work that helps people and brings real satisfaction in my life.

They don’t like the “work for the man” trope…. Until they realize that you actually need electricians, construction workers, plumbers, etc. blue collar workers are farrrrr more important than white collar workers.

That’s why America is in the gutter. The most disrespected skillset are teachers and blue collar workers…..

Everything and everyone serves a purpose in the grand scheme of things. Unless people want anarchy and mayhem, the current system (even though not perfect) is the best possible thing for stability

They don’t like the “work for the man” trope…. Until they realize that you actually need electricians, construction workers, plumbers, etc. blue collar workers are farrrrr more important than white collar workers.

That’s why America is in the gutter. The most disrespected skillset are teachers and blue collar workers…..

Everything and everyone serves a purpose in the grand scheme of things. Unless people want anarchy and mayhem, the current system (even though not perfect) is the best possible thing for stability
One of the easiest ways to tell if someone is a worthless piece of **** is if they're rude (or worse) to service/customer support jobs.
Hypothetically, if my employer ever wanted to put me on helpdesk duty I'd rather just take a paycut. No thanks. Thankfully I'm the only one on the developer team with a "no helpdesk" clause in my contract :lol:

One of the easiest ways to tell if someone is a worthless piece of **** is if they're rude (or worse) to service/customer support jobs.
Hypothetically, if my employer ever wanted to put me on helpdesk duty I'd rather just take a paycut. No thanks. Thankfully I'm the only one on the developer team with a "no helpdesk" clause in my contract :lol:

They treat service/customer support people like crap, but bow down and worship celebrities who don’t give a damn about them :lol: :lol:

It seriously makes no sense to me. Treat neighbors and people who work the hardest like crap, but know everything about the lives of entertainers. That’s America for you though.

Even when I eat out at restaurants, when I’m about to leave, I try to organize my table and consolidate my trash so it’ll be an easier cleanup for the busboy. I’m just a stickler like that. Even if I’m just a patron/customer. At the grocery store or Walmart, if I have an item that I don’t need in my cart, I’m the type of person who will literally walk and return it to it’s proper area :lol:

People look a this stuff at the micro level instead of the macro level.

There are certain chunks of your life where you have to grind and certain parts where you can ease on the gas. It's not a day to day thing.

From the ages of 16-28 is when most people have to work the hardest. That's the time of your life where you have to grit it out in high school and then college or trade school. Then at 22-24 you enter the work force and that's when you have to prove yourself. You know nothing and nobody knows anything about you. Usually people at that age don't have a family so they are single and have disposable time to grind. After about 4-5 years of that (late 20s) you have hopefully gained some experience in your job and with experience, things become a little easier. Then you can ease off the gas a little and enjoy your 30s.. maybe start a family, enjoy some leisure time.

But to have that kind of discipline from ages 16 - 28? A lot of people don't have it. That's when you are young and have the most energy. Everyone wants to go out and party. They think that's their prime. But your real prime is in your 30s and 40s. Say you live to be 75. That 10-12 year span only takes up 13-16% of your ENTIRE life. It's worth it to put in the work then so your overall life will be better later on.

Yep both my parents are in their 70s and still work full time. Both have said they’d still work if they won the lottery
I wish I had that, they are lucky to enjoy their work like that

Back
Top Bottom