Working at Footlocker, is it worth it?

I was offered a job at Footlocker recently.

$7.25 and 1% com.

Does 1% really make a difference?

^Lets put it this way, its basically $0.80-$1.00 for every shoe you sale judging that the average shoe costs $80...like Air Forces and stuff. If your reallydetermined, the commission makes up just a little bit for the low wage, but you gotta be pullin numbers. And thats the thing i hate about the company, theymake you into a car salesman if you want the good hours, nagging about the revolutionary Spenco Insoles, and the Shoe Cleaners That Can Wash the scratches offthe cars, or the Socks that will make you jump higher...

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

^Lets put it this way, its basically $0.80-$1.00 for every shoe you sale judging that the average shoe costs $80...like Air Forces and stuff. If your really determined, the commission makes up just a little bit for the low wage, but you gotta be pullin numbers. And thats the thing i hate about the company, they make you into a car salesman if you want the good hours, nagging about the revolutionary Spenco Insoles, and the Shoe Cleaners That Can Wash the scratches off the cars, or the Socks that will make you jump higher...

On average, for a new FL worker, how many shoes a week would I sell? 30?

And I'm already labeled as a salesman by the people around me so I guess I'm good.
laugh.gif

I'm putting in my 2 week notice tomorrow. I went from part-time to full-time to asst. manager in 8 months, with a "guarantee" of my own store byJanuary 2010. If you like a crappy schedule including almost ALL weekends, LOW wages, sub-par to dumb co-workers, putting up with customers who assume they arebetter than you in every way because you wear stripes, and dumb corporate policies, please go to work for them. Higher-ups in the company will act as if FootLocker is some golden job that many people would die to have once you start working there, especially if you start getting promoted.

My manager puts 45 hours on his payroll and BARELY works 35 on a good week. He also makes more than the assistant manager and I COMBINED and only has to sell$4000 worth of product a week. That can be done in 2-4 hours on a typical saturday at the store I work at.

The two thing that pisses me off the most is the fact they refuse to acknowledge my college degree. Almost all of the management in our district have only ahigh school education, which is not a bad thing. However, do not hold me back and say "your degree has nothing to do with Foot Locker" (as quoted tome by my district manager, who did not go to college) because I chose to go pursue a higher education after instead of going to work full-time after highschool. Most recently, my district manager tried to butter me up an offer me a transfer to a HOH location, knowing it would only be a lateral move and probablydelay me from getting my own store. I called his bluff and told him to stop thinking of me as some idiot.

Concerning selling and "numbers", most managers will say they want you to do whatever it takes to make the sale. Fact is, a person buying an allwhite AF1 does not typically want insoles, cleaner, or protector nor do they need help in picking out an outfit from the crappy apparel selection in moststores. Why waste time on them when you could simply get them their AF1s and move onto the next customer?

Seriously, either do it as a part-time thing if that is the only job you can find or don't do it at all.

^^^

Damn dude. Thanks for all the info.

My boy is an ast. manager, and he told me that the job is good. He's only 19 and he's been working there for 2 years.

I just need to make $350-400 weekly, so I figured maybe I could make that at Footlocker.

A manager asking you to clock out and continue working is unethical, and illegal. Report them to FTC or BBB.

Originally Posted by HOOPSboy

"your degree has nothing to do with Foot Locker" (as quoted to me by my district manager, who did not go to college) because I chose to go pursue a higher education after instead of going to work full-time after high school.
When corporate allows management to rationalize this idea, is time to move on.

Originally Posted by Iceberg16

"your degree has nothing to do with Foot Locker" (as quoted to me by my district manager, who did not go to college) because I chose to go pursue a higher education after instead of going to work full-time after high school.
The problem is, a district manager is considered a corporate employee. Another funny thing is both him and my store manager swear that most of thecorporate employees working in the NYC office have experience working in a FTL store. I asked a few when I went to corporate on an interview. Fact is many ofthem never worked in a foot locker. Lies...

My cousin works there and he tells me thats it's not all that working there, if you don't speak up they walk all over you. The moneys just basic,however the discounts probably the best thing about working there. But if you need a job, suppose footlockers ayt.

Wow, so much negativity...

Fact is, it's just like any other position when you work for a big box retailer. The lower you go on the rung, theless payoff and the higher you climb, the sweeter it gets. If you go talking to a bunch of Baristas they'll likely say the same thing about Starbucks andI'll guarantee you hear the same from the Blue Shirts at Wally World.

The most important thing is realizing that different situations present different results. Everyone can rave about howfun a particular college is and you turn out hating the whole experience or all the homies warn you to stay away from a girl cause she's no good and youend up being soulmates. There was a guy who I worked with who's been with the company for 8 years now and still is an Assistant, but another guy I knowbecame a manager at only 19.

I strongly believe that life is what you make of it. It can be a horrible experience or a lasting career but I would giveyou key points. Unless you have corporate/executive level experience under your resume, chances are likely that your entry level pay will be nothing to bragabout and hours will be predicated on the store situation you walk into. It really depends on where you are in life. If you're high school or evencollege needing a side hustle, shouldn't be an issue. Even young adult with no dependents. You might need to weigh your options if you require a highstarting wage or have several dependents. Best of luck in whatever you end up doing
wink.gif

Originally Posted by FREAKSHOW

I worked at Both Nike Outlet and Champs Sports..
Nike has much better pay and benefits
good place to work at and real chill.
Champs doesnt give you hours unless you selll, sell, sell all the 1,2,3s..
and sometimes they are real shady man.....
LOL.

1,2,3s.

roll.gif

Heard that.

The problem is, a district manager is considered a corporate employee. Another funny thing is both him and my store manager swear that most of the corporate employees working in the NYC office have experience working in a FTL store. I asked a few when I went to corporate on an interview. Fact is many of them never worked in a foot locker. Lies...

To attack and defend at the same time:

1. The problem with most companies is that the people running them have either never worked in a store or sold the product, and that little piece of lousypaper called a degree got them there in the first place. They are clueless as to how the business should be ran.

2. And, just because you got a degree, it means nothing. An idiot with money or a good credit line can buy a degree. If you don't buy into this, look atall the "great" companies with "superb" CEO's and leaders with degrees (many Ivy League alumni) who ran them straight into oblivion.Everything from Merill Lynch to General Motors. Recession or not, good companies survive.

So, no offense, congratulations on your determination on going to college and taking that next step.

But, flaunting it proves nothing.

Integrity > Sheet of Paper.

Originally Posted by corporateJP

The problem is, a district manager is considered a corporate employee. Another funny thing is both him and my store manager swear that most of the corporate employees working in the NYC office have experience working in a FTL store. I asked a few when I went to corporate on an interview. Fact is many of them never worked in a foot locker. Lies...

To attack and defend at the same time:

1. The problem with most companies is that the people running them have either never worked in a store or sold the product, and that little piece of lousy paper called a degree got them there in the first place. They are clueless as to how the business should be ran.

2. And, just because you got a degree, it means nothing. An idiot with money or a good credit line can buy a degree. If you don't buy into this, look at all the "great" companies with "superb" CEO's and leaders with degrees (many Ivy League alumni) who ran them straight into oblivion. Everything from Merill Lynch to General Motors. Recession or not, good companies survive.

So, no offense, congratulations on your determination on going to college and taking that next step.

But, flaunting it proves nothing.

Integrity > Sheet of Paper.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you are not jumping on the Mr. West college dropout bandwagon with your previousstatement. For any company that goes down, like GM, there are many more who survive with people who possess degrees.

I know first hand that a college degree means little or nothing depending on the person. I have seen firsthand close friends of mine work meaningless jobs foryears after graduating. All of them were lazy, possessed a terrible work ethic, and had no desire to put in any effort. Personality and determination go a longway.

HOWEVER, going to college for 4+ years is more than just earning a piece of paper. You learn how to be on your own, take financial responsibility for yourself,choose whether or not to go to class, etc etc. I could go on for hours about the benefits of college outside the classroom.

BTW, how did I flaunt my degree? I told my DM that I possessed a degree that in my opinion coincides majorly with the products Foot Locker sells (Kinesiology:Exercise Science). Hell, Nike uses exercise physiologists to test their products on athletes in order to refine and improve them. Is it wrong of me to be proudof my accomplishment of earning a college degree that almost no other person in our district possesses? Your argument reminds of the kids I went to junior highand high school with that made fun of the smart kids and those who desired to excel in academics because "that ain't cool". I participated incollege athletics and was alongside athletes in and out of the classroom. Foot Locker sells athletic products. My knowledge of the athlete and what they wantcould do wonders compared to the guy next to me who has a general business or marketing degree.

Would you not include, or in your words, "flaunt" your best accomplishments and highlights in your resume and mention them in your interview? Lasttime I checked, that is how you got a job over another guy.

not worth it because they try to short you on hours yo.
The only good thing is getting access to sneakers you want early.

Back
Top Bottom