Would the Thunder be better WITHOUT westbrook?

if im swapping Russ out the only PGs in the L im taking to replace him are Rose, D-Will, CP3 hands down and then maybe Nash or Rondo anyone else plain no

Originally Posted by solarius49

yall should know, im not a OKC fan, but i enjoy dynamic basketball players. I also HATE the fact that all the good players are trying to team up (i know OKC drafted these guys) i just want all the good players to be on different teams aiming to beat each other. Also i would have loved Lebron and Amare (in NY) versus Wade and Bosh in Miami....but i digress

laugh.gif
No one asked you this

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Heck no......Westbrook is the top 10-15 players on the league range. As much as I'd love Westbrook to be a passing first point guard, so Durant could be a volume shooter, score 30-34 ppg and win MVPS. I dont know if Durant is hyper aggressive player and Westbrook complements that lacking he has in his game.

Honestly I'm not sure how much better Durant is than Westbrook when all things are considered. Yes Durant is far more talented but I think Westbrook is kinda like the Kobe to the Shaq, kinda like that 1A and 1B option even though we know one player should be way more dominant then the other.
THIS!

Over the last 25 or so years the one pure PG's that come to mind of championship teams are Avery, Kidd, and Rondo. It is an overrated quality that is needed to win a ring. Leave the dude alone. They have progressed every year with him being there (of course it isn't just him), so why are we so quick to say what they can't do with him as their 1? Besides LeBron this dude might get the most flack. Yea his decision making is ? at times but he is fearless. He has IT. He is a competitor. And he has bailed the Thunder out PLENTY of times. Rondo wouldn't do that? So yea man give him a chance to lose a finals first before we say what he can't do.

Good points, DC. One thing you mentioned about him as a competitor. I see a lot of criticism of players now and in the past because they were afraid of the moment, because they deferred, because they didn't want it (and I'm not just talking about Lebron criticisms).. but hell.. I like that Russ has SUPREME confidence. He thinks every one of his dumb pull-up mid-range jumpers in traffic is going to go in. As a point guard, he has a responsibility to be under control even while aggressive. And that's his biggest issue. But at this point, critics just see what they want to see. He doesn't pass to Durant on this play then "he's so selfish".. while they ignore the steal or big time rebound he just grabbed or how I see him every single game I watch, willingly give the ball to Durant in late-game situations and let him run the play.

I've felt like Westbrook gets a lot of unfair hate because A. it just became "cool" to do so at some point and B. because people really want to say "I told you so" if things ever go south between he and Durant. I saw tons of KG and Marbury comparisons between them and I think its largely people wanting to get the jump on predicting some "problem" between the two. They would be a different team with a "pure" PG, but it's not automatically better. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe the Thunder lead the league in offensive efficiency and particularly when Westbrook, Harden, and Durant are on the floor together, they're incredibly efficient. Durant is a superstar and Harden is a tremendous player, but I don't understand this sentiment that the Thunder have been successful in spite of Russ.

Only Rose and Deron really can have that team looking that good. A pass first pg like rondo who gets no respect from the D isn't gonna get the job done imo. He might get more people involved, but your removing Russys scoring and allowing the d to focus on durant making it more difficult for your number one option to score. He doesn't make this team better imo. CP3 I feel like would slow the team down too much, and again he has that pass first mentality, but can score. He might make them better, might not. 

Originally Posted by Wade187

Only Rose and Deron really can have that team looking that good. A pass first pg like rondo who gets no respect from the D isn't gonna get the job done imo. He might get more people involved, but your removing Russys scoring and allowing the d to focus on durant making it more difficult for your number one option to score. He doesn't make this team better imo. CP3 I feel like would slow the team down too much, and again he has that pass first mentality, but can score. He might make them better, might not. 
laugh.gif

So when Rondo was putting up big numbers and no one else was stepping up, he got no respect? Ridiculous notion.

Rondo would make the Thunder a better team. There's a reason he has put up 7 or 8 straight games of 12+ assists

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Honestly I'm not sure how much better Durant is than Westbrook when all things are considered. Yes Durant is far more talented but I think Westbrook is kinda like the Kobe to the Shaq, kinda like that 1A and 1B option even though we know one player should be way more dominant then the other.
laugh.gif

Somebody said it best in a Russell Westbrook thread a few months ago........as a team the Thunder NEED a facilitator, Russell Westbrook facilitates his own shots.

Finns, probably because he has 3 future hall of famers to pass to in an offensive system that revolves around catch and shoot jumpshots and not iso heavy like the Thunder

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by Wade187

laugh.gif

So when Rondo was putting up big numbers and no one else was stepping up, he got no respect? Ridiculous notion.

Rondo would make the Thunder a better team. There's a reason he has put up 7 or 8 straight games of 12+ assists
What made you think anything you just said even made a good enough response for you to press the post button? Do you know what a lack of respect is on D? After Rondo put up those big numbers they stopped sagging off him? Because at his best he averaged 12+ for 7 or 8 games that would replace Russy who averages 24+ points his career not just 7 or 8 games (12 assists=24 points 3's not considered). Not to mention the defense can now focus on locking down Durant, which will bring his numbers down unless all 12 of rondo's assist are going to him to make up for it. I don't even know why I'm writing all this seeing as how your reply wasn't even in context to what I said, if you choose to reply get Rondo's nuts out of your mouth long enough to gather your thoughts correctly please. 

I def said Westbrook is great and should be the man on his own team....also i def saw a few possessions last night where he came down the court and jacked up 3's with like 22 seconds on the shot clock...and missed them BADLY

Russy being the man elsewhere is a pipe dream ppl who are fans and maybe even he tells himself to feel better. You need to pair him up with a 1st option player no matter what.

Like for instance I don't think Russ and Dwight would work out where Russ is the #1 scoring option.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Russy being the man elsewhere is a pipe dream ppl who are fans and maybe even he tells himself to feel better. You need to pair him up with a 1st option player no matter what.

Like for instance I don't think Russ and Dwight would work out where Russ is the #1 scoring option.

this.

and Rondo > Russy FTR

Give me a true PG any day of the week. Yall can have yall Rose's and Westbrook's give me Rondo with a scoring option like Durant/Love/LBJ/etc and i'm set.

I dont see the problem with him he gets the job done once they win a ring this will end all of this debate i guess

If it was Rondo instead of Russy, What would the Thunder do in late game situations where Rondo can be liability due to his poor FT shooting and tentative play?

Hopefully Fisher will mentor Westbrook a little bit and teach him how to manage games better. Westbrook has the talent he just needs to calm down.

dude is having his best season as well as his team and yet criticism for him is at an all time high. i dont get it.

Back
Top Bottom