¹ 2008 Spring Football/Summer Workouts (updates) ©

2,600 yards and 42 touchdowns
eek.gif
sick.gif

he plays in one of the lowest divisions in socal, playing against small religious schools and schools from remote places like big bear. But those number arestill rediculous

Originally Posted by dEfCoNzErO

he plays in one of the lowest divisions in socal, playing against small religious schools and schools from remote places like big bear. But those number are still rediculous

Correct. Honestly, I've never understood the buzz surrounding this kid. From what I've seen he's a solid back, but #3 player in the entirenation? And before you Bruin and Irish fans say I'm just being sour, I feel the same way about Matt Barkley. He's a great QB with a ton of potential,but he benefited tremendously from a stacked WR corp last year. He still needs to work on his footwork, but the kid has a lights out arm.

Originally Posted by Joe McKnight Is BALLIN

Originally Posted by after h0urs

Originally Posted by Joe McKnight Is BALLIN

pic of uclas practice from yesterday:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

UCLA's football team did its annual "Over the Wall" day on Tuesday, where players suddenly run off the field and into the locker room so they dont have to practice, a move that caught Rick Neuheisel off-guard.

To say Neuheisel -- who described himself as a proud wall climber during his playing days -- was less-than-pleased might be a vast understatement. But he accepted the move and practice did not take place.

But instead of going over the wall, this year's team simply ran through a gate.

"Man, I'm from the hood," linebacker Reggie Carter, an LA Crenshaw High graduate said. "If I'm going over a wall, I'm going hard. I didn't want to hurt myself."

Only quarterback Pat Cowan went over the wall.

"We thought about it, but it's a big wall," senior tight end Logan Paulsen said. "A little bit of the tradition got lost, but nobody got hurt."

The move did npt sit well with some assistants, who had heard of the move but felt the team lost a valuable day of practice. UCLA may not get the day back, as the NCAA only allows 15 spring sessions and because the team stretched, it may count as a practice day.

"Traditions," first-year offensive coordinator Norm Chow mumbled as he was leaving the Acosta Center. "They have so many traditions around here, all those national championships."

Never has a motivational poster been so $%+%+*! perfect.
pimp.gif
Bravo,sir. Bravo.

Cierre is nice but I was not blown away by his film and now that I know he plays in a low class I feel that No. 3 is a little overranking him. Still a verynice back though. I would celebrate if we landed someone like him though.

Barkley is a different story. This kid looks like the goods. I think he will destroy the Elite 11 this summer and Aaron Corp better figure out how to signal inplays because kid is going to have a tough time trying to beat Barkley out for that QB spot.

Things looking nice for Michigan with a couple of solid dual threat QBs in the 2009 class. Also, stud safety Devonte Holloman (from NCarolina) is stopping bytomorrow to see whats up. Bryce McNeal(WR from Minny) will be there as well and might commit. Hopefully he gets in D's ear.Plus, 2010 beast Marvin Robinsonis looking like he will commit sometime in the near future for the Wolverines. Michael Langston of SunshinePreps.com said this kid might be the best DB in thestate of Florida regardless of class.

Also, stud safety Devonte Holloman (from NCarolina) is stopping by tomorrow to see whats up.
It's gonna be either us or Clemson for Holloman...and I would bet the house that Clemson gets him.
smh.gif
They get every top DB in NC, especially Charlotte cats.

Originally Posted by JND1

Also, stud safety Devonte Holloman (from NCarolina) is stopping by tomorrow to see whats up.
It's gonna be either us or Clemson for Holloman...and I would bet the house that Clemson gets him.
smh.gif
They get every top DB in NC, especially Charlotte cats.

$$$$$

Plus that one recriuter they have.....Can't think of his name....

But, dude is a BEAST....Dude gets a lot of the kids that he wants....That have genuine interestin Clemson @ least...

^Yea, you talkin 'bout Billy Napier. Holloman writes a weekly recruiting diary for the Clemson scout site
laugh.gif
so you already know...

What happens if Clem$on gets Loston though? That would be 2 good safeties in a row with Adams last year.

Originally Posted by JND1

^Yea, you talkin 'bout Billy Napier.
Yep. That's him.

April 17, 2008

Crabtree set to chase more marks in 2008
[h1]Crabtree set to chase more marks in 2008[/h1]
Olin Buchanan
Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer
mediaicons_video.gif
VIDEO: Michael Crabtree in action
Having broken numerous freshman receiving records last season, Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree could set his sights on several others in 2008.

Crabtree, the Biletnikoff Award winner as the best wide receiver in the nation, had 134 receptions for 1,962 yards and 22 touchdowns last season. If he improves - and he thinks he can - several other NCAA records would seem within his reach.
[table][tr][td]
MICHAEL%20CRABTREE%20250.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Michael Crabtree appears poised for another big season in 2008.[/td] [/tr][/table]For example, there is the NCAA single-season receptions record of 142 set by Houston's Manny Hazard, the single-season yardage record of 2,060 held by Nevada's Trevor Insley, the single-game receptions record of 23 set by UNLV's Randy Gatewood and the single-season touchdown receptions record of 27 held by Louisiana Tech's Troy Edwards.
Break some of those records and he'll surely emerge as a top candidate to win the Heisman Trophy, which he admits is in the back on his mind.

"Last year my goal was to win the Biletnikoff Award," Crabtree said. "This year I would like to take the next step."

That may require returning kicks. Receivers Tim Brown, Desmond Howard and Johnny Rodgers have won the Heisman, but all were dynamic on kick returns, too.

Crabtree doesn't return kicks but said, "I can do it. This year probably, I'll do some kickoff returns sometimes."

But that's up to coach Mike Leach. Some coaches might hesitate to put a star player on special teams. But Leach doesn't always think like most coaches.

"I wouldn't have any problem with it," Leach said. "I'd stick anybody back on punts or kickoffs. But I don't have any plans right now."

Even though he figures to be a Heisman contender and could set various records, Crabtree insisted the record he's most concerned with is 13-0 - which would give the Red Raiders a Big 12 championship and a shot at the national title.

"I'm looking at this team going undefeated and going to a big bowl game," he said after a recent spring practice. "I think we can win every game."

Texas Tech has been good in recent seasons. It has been bowl- eligible for 15 consecutive seasons and has made eight bowl appearances in a row.

But Tech never has won the Big 12 South and has finished third or fourth in the race in seven of the past eight seasons. Even in April, when everything seems possible, that degree of optimism is rare in Lubbock.

But 10 offensive starters and eight defensive starters - including Crabtree and quarterback Graham Harrell - return from a 9-4 team that defeated Big 12 champion Oklahoma and topped Virginia in the Gator Bowl, so there are some on the South Plains who think this is the season for which they've been waiting.

"We have my whole offensive line back," Crabtree said. "We have our quarterback. We have 10 people from the offense back from last year and we've got a defense coming up. Our d-line is doing real good right now."

Defense typically has been a soft spot since Leach took over at Tech. But there seemed to be a measure of improvement after Ruffin McNeill was installed as defensive coordinator early last season.

Also, the gem of the Red Raiders recruiting class is junior college defensive end Brandon Sesay, who originally signed with Georgia two years ago. Then, last month, defensive tackle Chris Perry was granted immediate eligibility following his transfer from Miami, so the defense appears to have been bolstered.

"We're a year older, but we're still relatively young on defense. We're predominantly juniors," Leach said. "I think we played real well last year, and that's a credit to Ruffin McNeill and the coaches under him and the job they did rallying the guys after we had to make a change last year."

Still, the passing game remains Texas Tech's strength - and it could be stronger because Crabtree could be better.

"He's improved on certain routes," Leach said. "He accelerates out of his cuts. He's improved on that. The thing about Michael Crabtree is that even on bad days, he's ultimately competitive enough that he'll have a pretty good day. Like everybody, he gets tired and distracted, but he's really competitive as far beating the guy across from him."
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
PELINI2250.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Bo Pelini fully expects his players at Nebraska to attend class.[/td] [/tr][/table]Crabtree beat the guy and/or guys across from him with such regularity that last season he had at least eight catches in every game except one. He's not satisfied, though.
"I have a lot of room to improve," he said. "My routes can be that much faster. I need to keep my shoulders down. It's just a lot of little stuff."

That "little stuff" could add up to some big prizes this fall.

TRIVIA QUESTION

Last week the NCAA held the Frozen Four - the college hockey national championship. How many Division I-A schools that participate in football also field men's ice hockey teams? (Answer at the end of the column.)

GOOD POINT

It's not uncommon for college students to skip a class or two, but Nebraska coach Bo Pelini says that's unacceptable. He has a mandatory classroom attendance policy for his players.

"It's not up for debate," Pelini said. "If you don't want to go to class, turn pro."

CAMPAIGNING FOR WHITE

First-year West Virginia coach Bill Stewart has given his blessing for the school's sports information department to promote quarterback Pat White for the Heisman Trophy.

"Patrick is the greatest player in college football today," Stewart said. "If you're the best … then whatever our people can do for Patrick White they should do. Patrick is such a down-to-earth, level guy, I'm not scared about him and what the attention might do."

White rushed for 1,335 yards and threw for 1,724 last season while leading the Mountaineers to a 11-2 finish.

QUICK HITTERS

• Junior Mark Sanchez was named USC's starting quarterback over sophomore Mitch Mustain, who transferred from Arkansas last year. That raises the question of whether Mustain, a highly rated prospect out of high school in Springdale, Ark., will transfer again.
  • Linebacker Jake Duren, a projected starter, was dismissed from the Colorado team after being jailed on suspicion of criminal trespass. Duren was accused of breaking into a vehicle at a family housing complex near the Colorado campus.
  • Oklahoma fan Shae Farmer bid $2,900 in an on-line auction to attend Oklahoma's Red-White game and call some plays from the press box. One of the plays he called resulted in a 51-yard touchdown pass from Sam Bradford to tight end Jermaine Gresham.
  • Duke's Cameron Goldberg, a projected starter in the offensive line, has been suspended by coach David Cutcliffe for a violation of team policy. Goldberg, who started every game at left tackle last season, has a list of requirements to meet in order to be reinstated.
  • Virginia Tech quarterback Tyrod Taylor has returned to practice after missing two sessions last week. Taylor sprained his left foot last Wednesday. [table][tr][td]
    0103-VPITYTAYLOR2_250.JPG
    [/td] [td]
    spacer1.gif
    [/td] [/tr][tr][td]
    spacer1.gif
    [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tyrod Taylor has returned to practice at Virginia Tech.[/td] [/tr][/table]
  • Connecticut quarterback Tyler Lorenzen likely will miss this weekend's spring game because of a sprained left knee, which has forced him to miss a few practices recently.
  • Florida starting guard Jim Tartt and backup defensive tackle Terron Sanders had surgery Monday, and both are expected to be fully recovered by August. Tartt had surgery on his left shoulder and Sanders had surgery for torn meniscus in his right knee.
  • Ohio State wide receiver Ray Small, who has drawn the ire of coach Jim Tressel, has been stripped of his No. 4 and now is wearing No. 82.
  • Arizona State wide receiver Chris McGaha, who caught 61 passes for 830 yards last season, fractured his left big toe in an intrasquad scrimmage last Saturday. He'll miss the rest of spring practice and may need surgery.
  • Kentucky tailback Tony Dixon is out for the remainder of spring practice after spraining an MCL in his left knee. Also, defensive tackle Ricky Lumpkin will undergo surgery to remove calcium deposits in his hip.
  • Conference USA announced that East Carolina's regular-season finale against UTEP has been moved up a day - to Friday, Nov. 28 at 1 p.m. Eastern time - to accommodate a live TV broadcast. The daytime start means there will be no scheduling conflicts with North Carolina high school state football playoffs that night.
  • Jeff Compher has been named athletic director at Northern Illinois. Currently the executive associate athletic director at Washington, he will take over at NIU in June.
    TRIVIA ANSWER

There are 13 schools that field teams in Division I football and hockey. They are Air Force, Army, Boston College, Bowling Green, Connecticut, Miami University, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Western Michigan.

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Cierre is nice but I was not blown away by his film and now that I know he plays in a low class I feel that No. 3 is a little overranking him. Still a very nice back though. I would celebrate if we landed someone like him though.

Barkley is a different story. This kid looks like the goods. I think he will destroy the Elite 11 this summer and Aaron Corp better figure out how to signal in plays because kid is going to have a tough time trying to beat Barkley out for that QB spot.

Last RB to be that hyped coming out of Oxnard was Whitney Lewis and we all know how that turned out
sick.gif

Yeah, I heard he was one of the most impressive Elite 11 QB's of all-time. The kid makes some
eek.gif
throws, but I still think he struggles a bit too much under pressure. He'llbe fine at SC, but I have a feeling he's going to fall from the #1 spot this upcoming season. Everyone at Mater Dei has graduated and he's going to betested big time.

I have a feeling it's gonna be a long 3 years football-wise for me here at Texas A&M. The way Sherman is recruiting is a joke. Texas and OU arestraight blowing us out of the water. Of course I don't expect us to be up there with them in terms of the recruits we get, but it seems like Shermanisn't even trying to get anybody. We're gonna suck again next year.

laugh.gif
That's exactly how I feel here. We have so many traditions, butthey're all stupid as hell.
All I ever hear around here is how "We used to be soooooo good, it's only a matter of time until we get back to being that good. This is gonna be theyear!"
News Flash: We were never that good at football. Our tradition should be us sucking at football.

But our spring game is on Saturday. I'll be there. If anyone cares enough or has any questions about the team, I can report back with some answers.

laugh.gif
Sorry about that little rant, but I just wanted to get it off my chest.

I think aTm will be fine if Sherman can develop these players. Texas is insanely loaded with D1 type football players. Lots to choose from and I am sure hewill get enough good players to have some success. He won't be able to battle Mack for a while if ever. I think Sherman was a good hire plus, aTm'sfacilities for the football program are real nice.

EDIT: Michigan gets commit #5. Fitzgerald Toussiant. 2 from that scool with Bell commiting last month. His video is impressive. This should be a link for it.

http://scoutingohio.com/Fitzgerald_Toussaint_Liberty.htm

Cierre is nice but I was not blown away by his film and now that I know he plays in a low class I feel that No. 3 is a little overranking him. Still a very nice back though. I would celebrate if we landed someone like him though.

Barkley is a different story. This kid looks like the goods. I think he will destroy the Elite 11 this summer and Aaron Corp better figure out how to signal in plays because kid is going to have a tough time trying to beat Barkley out for that QB spot.

Last RB to be that hyped coming out of Oxnard was Whitney Lewis and we all know how that turned out
sick.gif

Yeah, I heard he was one of the most impressive Elite 11 QB's of all-time. The kid makes some
eek.gif
throws, but I still think he struggles a bit too much under pressure. He'll be fine at SC, but I have a feeling he's going to fall from the #1 spot this upcoming season. Everyone at Mater Dei has graduated and he's going to be tested big time.

yea what happened to him?.....he was a five star when he came out

Aww, this is cute. Some of y'all seem salty that Clemson's gets good recruits...even throwing $ in our name. FSU fans though? Really?
I can understand UNC fans though
roll.gif
because y'all are still waiting fora winning season.

And you could be talking about Napier and/or Swinney.

^ Lendale White and Reggie Bush is what happened....He was 5* but i beleive some of that or most of that was hype

Dude got lost in the depth charts and faded to bolivian

i thought he was getting recruited as a WR though

nobody is hating on clemson....ok yall get good recruits....but damn win the acc....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ddot7

Aww, this is cute. Some of y'all seem salty that Clemson's gets good recruits...even throwing $ in our name. FSU fans though? Really?
I can understand UNC fans though
roll.gif
because y'all are still waiting for a winning season.

And you could be talking about Napier and/or Swinney.

Easy there ddot.....
roll.gif
roll.gif

Having a bad morning my dude????

And yeah, I was talking about Napier. Dude is a savage
smh.gif

Actually, everything's real good with me. Thanks for asking though.

If we don't win the ACC this year, it might not happen ever. If we had more experience on the OL, I'd put money on it.

Tmay it's going to be really hard for Sherman to win any head to head battles with Texas OU LSU this year. He needs to focus in shaping up what we got andhope that we show enough improvement this year to finally win some battles next year. We'll get some decent recruits this year as usual, there's toomuch talent in Texas for us not to get anyone. We really need some defensive talent this year (especially at linebacker and CB), but we need to be looking at09 more than 08.

Originally Posted by FlyDaily

sick.gif

eek.gif
throws, but I still think he struggles a bit too much under pressure. He'll be fine at SC, but I have a feeling he's going to fall from the #1 spot this upcoming season. Everyone at Mater Dei has graduated and he's going to be tested big time.

yea what happened to him?.....he was a five star when he came out

He was brought in as an athlete with the expectation that he'd be a WR or RB. We nearly lost Steve Smith because of the hype surrounding Whitney, butluckily for us he stayed on. Anyways, Whitney reported to camp completely overweight and never recovered. He moved to RB from WR and still couldn't getinto shape. Eventually he was buried on the depth chart behind Bush, Lendale, etc. He transferred out of SC as a sophomore and went to Northern Iowa where hedid jack squat. This kid was once the #3 player in the nation
sick.gif

^
didn't whitney lewis want to go to florida state but his mom wouldn't let him go out of state so he settled for SC?

Back
Top Bottom