☆☆ 2012 NBA Finals ☆☆ The King has been crowned; Heat win 2012 NBA Finals! Bron Finals MVP.

What is the arguement for Monta here?  I love Monta.... but I don't see it.  You want to take JJ for leading a decent team every year? Fine.  Crusty old Manu for lifetime achievement?  Fine.  But Ellis?  Both score, but Gordon does everything else better.  Not seeing how Monta is better.

Wade

Kobe

Johnson (played injured all season; benefit of the doubt)

Ellis

Gordon

Ginobili

Martin

Allen

Monta Ellis really?
Nah
Wade
Kobe
Ginobli
Gordon
Ellis
Martin
Joe Johnson?
I don't think Joe Johnson knows what position he plays anymore. But I am going to call him a SF, as at this stage as a SG you have no hope on D.

How would you find a replacement for Gordon if your over the cap?
You wouldn't, so you would have to trade Kaman's contract with him for Paul.
Ok so you have 12 -14 million off the books for a FA, Dwight isnt an option... Do you mess around and give Gordon an offer sheet? Deron Williams to play the 2? Or do you overpay for role players, and expect them to make you a winner.

Paul without Gordon is just Utah in the late 80's to mid 90's. Look at SOME of those supporting casts... They were pretty good, but this league resembles more of the late 80's than the late 90's interns of talent distribution. Blake is real good, but he isnt ever going to be an elite defender, and for the foreseeable future is going to need someone else/ a system to create his shots. Thats young Karl Malone to a t. And in that case you don't get close to a title for a while.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Top 15 in scoring on a non-playoff team. Gordon is not even a 1st or 2nd option on a contending team.
He's good, but he's no better than a 3rd option on a contending team. Guards like Gordon come a dime a dozen. All they need is the right situation. Just check out Jordan Crawford last season in Washington. There are plenty of 6'4 guards in the league that can light it up which is why I'm fine with letting OJ go if we have to.

Did you watch the World Championships?
What exactly does that prove? Al3xis said it best. The SG position is one of the easiest to fill in the league. If you have CP3/Griffin and right pieces, they can be in the hunt. Gordon is not better than Manu either. When Gordon can take over games like Manu and carry a team on his back, then you put him over him. Gordon still isn't on Brandon Roy's level pre-injury. As of now, Gordon and Martin are in the same boat. Martin is a career 45% shooter and is capable of lighting it up any given game. You don't hear people raving about him do you? 
You saw what OJ did when he was the 2nd option on the Grizzlies during his rookie season? Same thing. Even in OJ's 2nd year when he was the 3rd option, he put up better numbers than EG while shooting slightly better from the field. I'll wait to see what Gordon does when he's playing meaningful games and how well he performs. Like I said, he's a good player and even admitted to him being a possible all-star this year, but he's not "special". Just a guy in the right situation as a 2nd option when he should be a 3rd option at best.
I guess if you put OJ in Cleveland, Washington or any non-playoff team and he averages 22, 5 and 5 that he will be an untradeable piece as well? Y'all hyping this cat up like some of you hyped up Kevin Love last season who is another 3rd option on an contending team.
Brandon Roy pre-injury was the 3rd best SG in the league. Behind Prime Kobe and Prime Wade who are 2 of the best SGs EVER. Nobody is saying Eric Gordon is on that level yet.
Kevin Martin does not know what the word defense is. Kevin Martin is 29 going on 30. Kevin Martin does not create for anyone but himself.

As far as OJ, he was the option 1A with Rudy his rookie year on a non-playoff team. He only put up 19, 4 and 3. His 2nd season as option 2b he put up 18, 4 and 3. He hasn't touched that level of play since. I don't think you want to talk about OJ's 2010-2011 season. If OJ Mayo ever puts up 22, 5 and 5 it'll be because he played 40 minutes a game and chucked 20+ shots.

Eric Gordon last year: 22 ,3 and 4. And he's actually improved from year to year instead of declining like OJ has.

+!+
roll.gif
laugh.gif

How is Nick Young not on a team yet?
indifferent.gif
All this talk of young talents yet I haven't heard his name mentioned once (besides occasionally in this thread) I heard the Bulls "reached out" to Young's agent but this was about a week ago

Also, Iggy and Tyreke eventually are two guys I like too.

And, I might take a lot of slack, but I'd much rather have a cheaper Arron Afflalo on my team than an expensive EG.

Arron became my favorite non-Maverick last year. His game is so efficient.

I'd take him over EG regardless of their contract actually, that's how much I like the dude. Loved him at UCLA, loved him in Detroit, love him here.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

And, I might take a lot of slack, but I'd much rather have a cheaper Arron Afflalo on my team than an expensive EG.

I'd take him over EG regardless of their contract actually, that's how much I like the dude. Loved him at UCLA, loved him in Detroit, love him here.
laugh.gif

arron afflalo?

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Wade

Kobe

Johnson (played injured all season; benefit of the doubt)

Ellis

Gordon

Ginobili

Martin

Allen

Monta Ellis really?
Nah
Wade
Kobe
Ginobli
Gordon
Ellis
Martin
Joe Johnson?
I don't think Joe Johnson knows what position he plays anymore. But I am going to call him a SF, as at this stage as a SG you have no hope on D.

Ellis gets the nod over Gordon only because he's done it longer. That's it. He's actually not even that bad on D. At least when I've seen him, which admittedly is not alot.
Kevin Martin is one of the worst defenders I've ever had the misfortune to see. He is efficient as @@+* on offense though.

JJ is still a SG. Hopefully he bounces back from that @@#+%! season he had last year, but I expect him to fall a spot or two still.

Ginobili just isn't as good as he used to be. He still does it all. Scoring, shooting, playmaking, defense. Just not as well as he used to. Plus he can barely handle 30+ mins a game these days.

Either way we all seem to agree Gordon is a Top 5 SG at 22 years old with room to grow.

EDIT: Arron Afflalo? He had a career year last year. He's nice. Not that nice though.

Iggy though? 
laugh.gif
 Especially with that contract. Get at me when he learns how to shoot. Its been 7 years already.

Gordon, at 22 years old , dropped 22 a game on a TS% that was better than kobe's and comparable to wade's.

Wade, Kobe, Ginobili, Martin, & Ellis are the only SGs who had a better PER than him, and he was nearly tied with Monta.

If I was LAC I wouldn't give him up either.

We're giving you a high lottery pick, a lottery pick from last year (aminu), another solid young player, & an all star Center on an expiring contract.

The Knicks, Blazers, Pacers and Timberwolves are leading the pursuit of Jamal Crawford.

New York's offer is only for a two-year "room" exception starting at $2.5 million.

Portland and Indiana are only willing to offer one-year deals since they each would like to preserve their cap space for next summer.

Minnesota...

You take Iggy if you don't have a pure PG... Reke? Maybe eventually, but not now.
Arron Affalo? Take him and lose, son is overrated in every aspect of his game. Took some looks at his games... He isn't a 4th option and is very overrated on D. Its just that he was playing next to JR that his D got any credit for being above average.

Being able to find wing players isn't an excuse to overpay for a point guard.
Just like being able to find good power forwards isn't an excuse to over pay for a point guard.. NETS??
Bottom line is that Gordon and the Minnesota pick at this point is overpaying. And worse come to worse.... at bare minimum, if you decide to trade Gordon, and go after him in RFA next year. Its a ******ed move cause Paul, can be a UFA, and if he really wants to be in LA with the Clippers long term he will sign and let them keep Gordon under their control.

Monta is kind of an "meh" guy for me. Look I think we can assert that hes a bad fit for the Warriors with Curry right? I think Iggy would be
eek.gif
with them too. But he isn't really a fit anywhere, Philly would be a horrible fit imo. Monta's license to shoot them out of ball games would never end, cause they outside of Louis Williams dont have a guy who is going to consistently create his own shot. At least with Iggy he would create everyone elses shots.

Arron isn't a guy you build your team around no, but I I'm the Knicks, or a contending team in need of a starting SG, I take Arron Afflalo over dudes like EG.

Arron isn't a guy you build your team around no, but I I'm the Knicks, or a contending team in need of a starting SG, I take Arron Afflalo over dudes like EG.

shut up, before we start thinking up trades, shun.
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

The Knicks specifically? yes.. cause there wouldnt be enough shots for Gordon not to be closer to years 1 and 2. Every contending team? No cause Chicago would take Gordon, Dallas would take Gordon even with Jet doing the same general things.
With why I said Dallas? They are going to score plenty, but they realistically need a SG too. You can play Kidd and Rodrique, and it will work. You cant play Terry and Rodrique without Tyson anymore. At worse you can put Gordon on the quicker guards Kidd really shouldn't guard, and count on similar production as to Affalo.

Originally Posted by StillAtIt

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Did you watch the World Championships?
What exactly does that prove? Al3xis said it best. The SG position is one of the easiest to fill in the league. If you have CP3/Griffin and right pieces, they can be in the hunt. Gordon is not better than Manu either. When Gordon can take over games like Manu and carry a team on his back, then you put him over him. Gordon still isn't on Brandon Roy's level pre-injury. As of now, Gordon and Martin are in the same boat. Martin is a career 45% shooter and is capable of lighting it up any given game. You don't hear people raving about him do you? 
You saw what OJ did when he was the 2nd option on the Grizzlies during his rookie season? Same thing. Even in OJ's 2nd year when he was the 3rd option, he put up better numbers than EG while shooting slightly better from the field. I'll wait to see what Gordon does when he's playing meaningful games and how well he performs. Like I said, he's a good player and even admitted to him being a possible all-star this year, but he's not "special". Just a guy in the right situation as a 2nd option when he should be a 3rd option at best.
I guess if you put OJ in Cleveland, Washington or any non-playoff team and he averages 22, 5 and 5 that he will be an untradeable piece as well? Y'all hyping this cat up like some of you hyped up Kevin Love last season who is another 3rd option on an contending team.
Brandon Roy pre-injury was the 3rd best SG in the league. Behind Prime Kobe and Prime Wade who are 2 of the best SGs EVER. Nobody is saying Eric Gordon is on that level yet.
Kevin Martin does not know what the word defense is. Kevin Martin is 29 going on 30. Kevin Martin does not create for anyone but himself.

As far as OJ, he was the option 1A with Rudy his rookie year on a non-playoff team. He only put up 19, 4 and 3. His 2nd season as option 2b he put up 18, 4 and 3. He hasn't touched that level of play since. I don't think you want to talk about OJ's 2010-2011 season. If OJ Mayo ever puts up 22, 5 and 5 it'll be because he played 40 minutes a game and chucked 20+ shots.

Eric Gordon last year: 22 ,3 and 4. And he's actually improved from year to year instead of declining like OJ has.
OJ didn't decline every year. He declined this past season due to his coach not being in favor of him playing SG beside Conley.
OJ improved his 2nd season by shooting fewer shots with a better percentage. Then, you highlight non-playoff team like Gordon is or was on a playoff team....Also, OJ wasn't option 2b. He was the 3rd option in his 2nd year behind Zbo and Gay. I think anybody who watched Memphis then would know that. He still put up 18, 4 and 3 on a 40-win team with fewer shots. Clippers have yet to reach the 40-win plateau since Gordon has been drafted. Grizz did it with OJ as their 3rd option putting up better numbers than EG pretty much had no one else on his team.

This is about to turn into an OJ/EG debate and I'll just stop my argument here. 
laugh.gif
 No need to get into a debate about those two because people will only point out ONE out of 3 seasons OJ had last year and act like the guy has completely fell off. 

JapanAir21 wrote:
I dont see the point in taking Afflalo over Gordon in any scenario, whether a team is contending or not. Gordon does almost everything better. It just doesn't make sense in any case to deliberately pass on the guy who is better overall, unless it's for financial reasons.

I like Afflolo, but to take him over Gordon is any situation is nuts.  Two players on two completely different levels we are talking about here.  Once again, it's not like Gordon doesn't defend, either. 

i'm not surprised by eric gordon top 3-5 SG talk but wanted to know when did he make this jump ( didn't watch many clippers games last yr) 
laugh.gif

EG game right now is really ahead of guy's like james harden,  demar derozan,  tyreke evans that much 
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by StillAtIt

OJ didn't decline every year. He declined this past season due to his coach not being in favor of him playing SG beside Conley.
OJ improved his 2nd season by shooting fewer shots with a better percentage. Then, you highlight non-playoff team like Gordon is or was on a playoff team....Also, OJ wasn't option 2b. He was the 3rd option in his 2nd year behind Zbo and Gay. I think anybody who watched Memphis then would know that. He still put up 18, 4 and 3 on a 40-win team with fewer shots. Clippers have yet to reach the 40-win plateau since Gordon has been drafted. Grizz did it with OJ as their 3rd option putting up better numbers than EG pretty much had no one else on his team.

This is about to turn into an OJ/EG debate and I'll just stop my argument here. 
laugh.gif
 No need to get into a debate about those two because people will only point out ONE out of 3 seasons OJ had last year and act like the guy has completely fell off. 
Don't talk about W's, just don't....
Better coaching, more talent around him, less agitated people around him. Zbo in shape...
People forget that at one point with Gordon it was
Zbo, Gordon, Davis, Kaman with Dunleavy as coach. Is that Cluster !#@! on Gordon as a talent, or his production?
Is the next year with Zbo gone cause they drafted Blake, and had less talent overall but Baron's dominant personality on Gordon's production?
Comparing him to OJ as pro's is not an argument your going to win. Only reason OJ got drafted ahead of EJ is cause EJ's attitude, and shot selection at Indiana was that bad.
Even looking at them as pros. OJ was living at mid range and out. He is a great shooter considering his selection at times no doubt. Gordon has been getting to the cup as a pro since day 1, and been shooting similar percentages from outside.

Back
Top Bottom