☆☆ 2012 NBA Finals ☆☆ The King has been crowned; Heat win 2012 NBA Finals! Bron Finals MVP.

Can't wait to go to the Grizz/Clips game on Thursday
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
seeing him last week at the Mavs/Clips game was
eek.gif
eek.gif
never thought I would get to see him play in person again

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
at me almost leaving with a minute to go.... had to watch the rest of the game in the aisle when Billups hit that shot
laugh.gif

I just feel like the 2009 Melo would be able to lead a team... but the 2012 Melo wouldn't, which is a tad odd considering he should be in his prime RIGHT NOW.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

but there's only so much Amare can do when they call non-stop isolations for Melo. A guy who isn't a playmaker shouldn't be given the ball in those situations like he was.. he's going to just shoot every time.

sounds like $!%@%+$ kobe bryant 
laugh.gif

NBATV need to chill saying the bobcats got a 7 game home losing streak...*%%**#! beat Golden St last saturday at home smh

Knicks disaster unfolding before our very eyes

Last we'd seen Amar'e Stoudemire, he was planted on the Knicks' bench as the buzzer sounded after a 14-point loss to the Milwaukee Bucks. Stoudemire sat there for a minute or so, towel over his head, eyes aimed downward. It must have seemed like an hour.

It was the Knicks' fifth straight loss, and they weren't even competitive. If only Stoudemire knew it was about to get worse.

The Knicks lost their sixth straight Friday night, and this one hurt. This one was in double-overtime, and this one was to the Denver Nuggets, whose trade of Carmelo Anthony to New York has rendered the briefly resurrected franchise flat on its back again. It was Nuggets 119, Knicks 114, but those were hardly the digits that mattered.

Those were nine and 30. Nine field-goal attempts for Stoudemire, and 30 for Carmelo Anthony. Stoudemire didn't attempt a shot for the entire fourth quarter or entire first overtime, and finally put one up late in the second OT -- a 3-point heave that he made, a moment that must have made Knicks fans collectively want to heave.

All the while, Anthony kept shooting and shooting -- not a viable option around for him to set up and not a sheepish bone in his body. Anthony started 2-for-12, 3-for-17, and finally shot the Knicks back into the game in the fourth quarter, when he interpreted some of D'Antoni's whiteboard scribbles as this: "Melo, you get the ball and dribble around a lil' bit and then put up another shot against triple coverage."

It went in. The Knicks lived to fight another five minutes, and then another. It is a death march, one isolation at a time.

All of this madness -- a roster with no depth, no 3-point shooters and no point guard, not a mention what the Associated Press' Brian Mahoney correctly referred to as a $100 million decoy in Stoudemire -- could result in D'Antoni losing his job at Madison Square Garden. MSG chairman James L. Dolan, who pushed the Anthony trade through over the objections of D'Antoni and former team president Donnie Walsh, wasn't at the game Friday night. Neither was I, but I've seen this musical before.

The inevitable speculation that the star-rich and role-player-poor Knicks' 6-10 record at the lockout-shortened quarter pole will cost D'Antoni his job will only make Dolan less inclined to fire him. Could Dolan resist, even if the Knicks go to Charlotte Tuesday and lose for the second time this month to the Bobcats, a team that one rival executive told me this week has the "worst roster in the league?" Don't bet against it. But make no mistake: D'Antoni resides not at the Garden right now, but in no-man's land.

Unless Phil Jackson is walking through that door -- and at some point, don't put it past him -- D'Antoni will live to coach another day. But those days are becoming increasingly dim, as all of D'Antoni's worst fears about the roster-gutting trade for Anthony last February are coming true. And dare I say, it's even worse than D'Antoni thought, because he didn't even think the Melo makeover -- and subsequent decision to dump Chauncey Billups for Tyson Chandler -- would render the Knicks' once undeniable franchise cornerstone, Stoudemire, inoperable. Much like his knees.

"I don't think those two guys can play together," a rival GM told me Friday, and he wasn't talking about Danilo Gallinari and Al Harrington, who surely can. Gallinari, whose first-round selection by the Knicks was championed by D'Antoni, came home to drop 37 points on his former team Friday night. Harrington scored and danced and preened his way to 24 points on a Melo-like 24 shots. It must have been hideous to watch, if you were the guy who used to coach them.

The rival GM was referring, of course, to Anthony and Stoudemire, whose ill-fitting gifts and games should give pause to any superstar looking to team up with another one, as the trend in the NBA currently dictates. Their union on a team with no point guard to direct traffic and no 3-point release valves for D'Antoni's offense is more than a cautionary tale of "careful what you wish for." It's a collision of egos and elite but conflicting talent that threatens to squander the 2½ years of skilled excavation undertaken by Walsh, who put the Knicks back on the map only to see them nearly wiped off it in less than half the time.

It's easy to point to the Nuggets' 29-12 record since the Anthony trade, and juxtapose it with the Knicks' 20-23 record. But this is about much more than that. In the NBA, it's always about control and clout, and Anthony -- having teamed with Creative Artists Agency to orchestrate a gutting of the Knicks' roster to get him -- clearly has both. This, according to sources, is what D'Antoni feared from the beginning. And it is playing out before our eyes.

If you give up four starting players and at least one first-round pick for Anthony, and give him a max extension as part of the deal, the fear was that Anthony -- and CAA -- would have the power. And that power would dwarf D'Antoni's, and also Stoudemire's. That the whole rancid concoction also has transformed Stoudemire into a $100 million version of Jason Collins -- wandering around, setting screens, attempting nine shots in a double-overtime game -- is a stunning lesson in the sheer breadth and power of star/agent capital in the NBA.

Now D'Antoni, who built his reputation hand-in-hand with Steve Nash, has only one lifeline left. And to Baron Davis in this political election season, I paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen and say, "I know Steve Nash. Steve Nash is a friend of mine. And Baron, you're no Steve Nash." But that is where D'Antoni must look for a lifeline. He has no choice.

Davis, a potentially electrifying talent when healthy and engaged, could be back sometime next month. Whenever he returns, it'll be his job to solve the riddle that has flummoxed the greatest offensive mind in the sport: how to win with Anthony and Stoudemire on the same team, with the term "team" being loosely employed because there isn't much of one around them.

Could it get better with at least a serviceable point guard on the floor? It could. If you think Anthony is going to be going 10-for-30 for long, you don't understand how gifted and dominant he can be. But to this point, I have been dead wrong about him. I thought he would embrace D'Antoni's system, which would've won LeBron James and Dwyane Wade a championship by now if they'd come to New York. Don't believe me? Then why are the Heat running a unique staple of D'Antoni's offense in Miami, and blowing people's doors off with it?

It isn't D'Antoni's fault; that much should be clear. But it wasn't Paul Westphal's fault in Sacramento, and it wasn't the fault of anyone Allen Iverson ran out of town in Philadelphia, either. In the NBA, power always wins and the player always outlasts the coach.

Even if the coach didn't want any part of this in the first place.
Link
When I wrote last season that the Heat should speed up how they play and adopt the style of Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni, I thought eventually they might listen. Indeed, with their "pace and space" approach, Miami has been successful in getting LeBron James and Dwyane Wade in the open floor with room and freedom to create.
But I didn't think my suggestion was so good the Heat would actually pilfer one of D'Antoni's bread-and-butter concepts and allow James and Wade to go to town with it.

Sure enough, according to a scout who's seen the Heat consistently this season, they're using one of D'Antoni's unique actions in which one of the big men runs to the middle of the floor at the top of the key and plays a three-man game with the wings on either side of the floor. It's probably D'Antoni's second most frequently used action, one that he -- and now the Heat -- use whenever a specific play isn't called, such as when there's no inbounds play. The scout who first noticed Miami using it this season said the concept is unique to D'Antoni's style and that he's never seen any other team use it. D'Antoni calls it "delay," the Heat call it something else, and I call myself not as dumb as I look.

Link

Bobcats better start winning. I have tickets to go see the Sixers at Charlotte next month and I'm trying to see a good game.

Interesting article about the sightlines and depth perception of the current Nets arena. There must be something to it because right now they have the best free throw defense in the league at 69%

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=9106
Deron Williams dislikes temporary Nets arena in Newark
Posted by Inside Hoops

Jan 22
Deron Williams

Deron Williams can’t crack the cold and uncomfortable Rock, so he’s waiting for a better home in Brooklyn.

After another horrendous shooting night for himself and the Nets in Newark, Williams expressed displeasure with the team’s stopgap home court at the Prudential Center, essentially calling it inadequate for basketball.

“I don’t like this arena one bit. It’s a good thing it’s not our arena next year,â€

The Roster # 7 slander is at an all time high... I mean it's more rampant than when he caught Jared Jefferies with that Right and back peddled 94 feet quicker than Pooh goes from end to end.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

The Nick Collison Guest Blog, Vol. 2: Daily Life in the NBA, Then and Now

Read More http://www.gq.com/blogs/t...he-nba-then-and-now.html
I'm writing this while sitting on a plane after a game. I just finished eating some delicious teriyaki chicken wings and drinking an Arnold Palmer. My seat is comfortable and covered in leather. I have about four feet of legroom between my seat and our shooting guard James Harden, who is sitting at a hardwood table playing cards with three other guys. I have wi-fi, and I'm listening to the new Roots album. The previous ninety minutes were spent finishing off a win, sitting for ten minutes in a portable cold tub (think: inflatable kiddie pool with 50 degree water), then a shower, a quick security screening, a short bus ride, and a walk onto one of the chartered Delta Planes we always fly on. A U-Haul truck filled with the bags of personal stuff and equipment of our 42-person traveling party has already been loaded into the belly of the Airbus 319 that comfortably takes us to the next city. (Our travel party includes fifteen players, seven bench coaches, one video guy, and a training staff consisting of two strength coaches, a trainer, a physical therapist, plus two PR guys, an equipment manager and his assistant. The rest of the group includes our general manager and a couple other front office guys, as well as our local TV and radio crew.) When we land we will hop on a bus and head to a beautiful Four Seasons Hotel. Our bags will be delivered to our rooms, which we do not have to share with a roommate.

This is how NBA teams travel, and it is awesome.

It always dawns on me just how awesome it is during the summer, when I'm at airports on my own and standing in never-ending security lines. Traveling this way makes the marathon NBA season much easier to endure. Recovery and getting as much good sleep as possible is important when playing five games in six nights and 66 games in 123 days. (Although we haven't felt the cumulative effects that we will surely feel later in the year, this season's compressed schedule still has been noticed. So far, it's really been a mental challenge: the need to continue getting in game mode day after day.) The NBA is a multi-billion dollar business, and the investment teams make in travel is well worth the cost to get the best performance from their teams. Even with first class travel, the NBA schedule is a challenge—aches, pains and nagging injuries never seem to go away. It's a never-ending cycle of practice, games, breakfast meetings, naps, weights, treatment, and flights. Some mornings on the road, I wake up and it takes me a while to remember what city I'm in. A lot of the time I don't know even what day of the week it is.

Preparation and planning is essential to enduring the marathon that is a NBA season. Our GM, Sam Presti, has done a great job of putting together an invaluable support staff. In their own way, they each play a role in our win/loss record. These people deserve a lot of the credit for our transformation from being one of the worst teams in the league to where we are now. In Oklahoma City, we have an incredible new practice facility with everything a basketball player could ever dream of. All we have to do is show up everyday and bust our !*%%*. As a player, you can't ask for more.

I understand, however, that playing in the NBA wasn't always like this. To get some perspective, I sat down with our assistant coach Maurice "Mo" Cheeks. Coach Cheeks was a four-time All-Star and an NBA Champion in his 15-year playing career. He has been coaching in the league for the 15 years since, including stints as head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers and Portland Trailblazers. (Actually, Coach Cheeks should get his own feature in GQ—he is one of the coolest guys I know, a great dresser, funny as hell, and and a passable singer.) He understands players and has been a mentor to a lot of our guys. And he's been traveling to NBA cities for 30 years, so I wanted to hear some stories about the old days. That's a lot of restaurants and hotel bars. He's seen it all.

When Coach Cheeks played for the Sixers, they practiced at St. Joseph's University and brought their own gear every day. You showed up with your bag, got dressed in a small locker room, practiced, took a shower if the water was hot, and then you went home. It was probably a lot like your average men's league experience, except Dr. J was dunking on everyone and the rest of the guys were a thousand times better than you and your buddies. There was no strength and conditioning program, no chef cooking breakfast before practice and lunch afterward like we have now. Nutrition, proper sleep and conditioning are all things that are stressed in today's NBA to help players perform at the highest possible level. Coach Cheeks said they never talked about any of that. He remembers eating chocolate chip cookies and drinking a Coke on the way to games. In the locker room after games, we are given recovery shakes. After their games, they split a case of Budweiser.

When Coach Cheeks was playing, teams flew commercial. The travel party was only twelve players, two coaches, and an overworked trainer who did everything from designing the uniforms to setting up all the travel arrangements, along with taping ankles and all the necessary medical stuff guys need. The guys with seniority got the first class seats; that means a regular coach seat for 7-foot rookies. He said he made a lot of extra money selling his first class or aisle seats to younger big guys. On back-to-backs, there was a league rule that teams had to take the first available flight the morning of the second game. If the first game ended at 9:30 PM, you would probably get to the hotel at about 11:00 PM, depending on how you spent your nights on the road. The next morning your bags were waiting for you to carry them at 5:00 AM, and you would rush to the airport to catch a flight at 6:00 AM. Hopefully you had a direct flight, and then you would get to a Marriott to get a few hours of sleep before the game, while your roommate snored from across the room.

On game days we have a shootaround, which is a light one-hour practice, around 11 AM. We watch film clips on the other team's personnel and walk through some of their favorite sets. The scouting of the opposing team has been done by advanced scouts, who have been in different cities watching the opponent's last few games; an assistant coach watches the last few games on film. We then run through our plays 5-on-0 and do some shooting drills, then head back to the hotel. I usually eat, take a nap, eat again, pack my bag and give it to the bellman, then check out. When we go to games there are three buses, and guys have different times they need to be at the arena. I take the second bus, which arrives two hours before the game. I get dressed and get on the table for about 15 minutes of treatment with our physical therapist. I have a few minor issues I need maintenance on day to day to avoid bigger problems down the road. (I had knee surgery in the spring of 2010. Our therapist does manual work to make sure my knee keeps its proper mobility. I've also dealt with things like thigh bruises, broken fingers, sprained ankles, hip pointers, and nasal fractures that you can play through but need day to day work to get over.) While I'm on the table I read my scouting report and start to really focus on the game. With 75 minutes on the clock before game time, I get with our strength coach and do a light 10-minute workout, then get on the court for my shooting routine with one of our coaches. Each player has his own routine with a certain coach, at a certain time before each game. Then we all meet at 40 minutes on the clock and watch some film clips of sets the other team will run.

Coach Cheeks told me when he played, teams didn't have buses. They piled into a few Cadillacs and got to hotels and arenas by themselves. If the guys on our team had to do that—get around all these different cities using an actual map, instead of Google Maps on our iPhones—it would be a disaster. I would get lost and be late to half the games. The only pregame requirement back then was that the players had to be dressed and seated 40 minutes before game time. There wasn't much scouting; the assistant coach went to games when he could to see other teams. That was all they had. Each player had one uniform and brought it himself to every game. After the games, he was responsible for washing it. On back to backs, Coach Cheeks would shower with his jersey and shorts on, washing them and leaving them to dry in the room. The home uniforms would be white at the beginning of the season and by the end of the year they would end up somewhere between off-white and grey.

In his 30 years in the NBA, Mo Cheeks has seen the transformation of the NBA from a league with its Finals televised on tape delay to the huge money-making business it is today. He says the most obvious change from then to now is the size and athleticism of all 15 players on the roster. Back then, most teams would have three or four elite athletes, and the rest of the roster would be guys who could play but didn't have the special athleticism that so many guys in the league have today. Fighting was much more frequent then, because throwing a punch would only get you a technical foul and maybe a $50 fine, compared to the hundreds of thousands of dollars lost to the guaranteed lengthy suspension a punch will get you today. The players are more friendly now and all seem to know each other. In Coach Cheeks's day you only knew your teammates. He told me a story about how he hated the Celtics but had to share a cab with Robert Parish at an All-Star Weekend, and ended up really liking the guy.

One thing that hasn't changed is players still have days where they don't want to practice. He recalled one day when the team was practicing and the guys didn't want to be there, so Darryl Dawkins said, "I'm gonna rip the rim off the backboard so we can get out of here." Dawkins then did exactly that, shattering the backboard and sending glass everywhere. It didn't work, though: their coach just made the team finish playing half court on the other end.

Playing in the NBA is a blessing. In my opinion, it's the best job in the world. It has gotten so much better for players over the years, and we're all really fortunate to be playing in this era. I love playing for so many reasons, and hearing some of these crazy stories from a NBA lifer like Mo Cheeks is right up there at the top.

Nick Collison, 31, a power forward for the Oklahoma City Thunder, will be guest-blogging for GQ throughout the 2011-2012 NBA season. Follow Nick on Twitter, @nickcollison4.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

One thing that hasn't changed is players still have days where they don't want to practice. He recalled one day when the team was practicing and the guys didn't want to be there, so Darryl Dawkins said, "I'm gonna rip the rim off the backboard so we can get out of here." Dawkins then did exactly that, shattering the backboard and sending glass everywhere. It didn't work, though: their coach just made the team finish playing half court on the other end.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

just went to quote the exact same thing
laugh.gif

That Knick article...didn't realize Miami was using pieces of Pringles offense.
30t6p3b.gif

Interesting article about the sightlines and depth perception of the current Nets arena. There must be something to it because right now they have the best free throw defense in the league at 69%
http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=9106
Not really. Its a hockey arena. Built for hockey games. Not basketball and not that it's an excuse, teams should be playing better though. I knew someone would post this story.

What about Mo Cheeks hygiene though? Taking a shower with your uniform on, ain't getting you OR it clean.
laugh.gif
at a bunch of NBA players piling in somebody's 'Lac and driving to games too, or trying to fly coach with their tall selves. I'm 6ft and have never been comfortable on a plane. Those dudes knees would be all up in the backs of the person in front of them .

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Bobcats better start winning. I have tickets to go see the Sixers at Charlotte next month and I'm trying to see a good game.

planned on either going to that game or the bulls game the friday before 

Bomani Jones addresses the coaching in OKC, something I've been saying for awhile.
[h1]Kevin Durant And Russell Westbrook Are In OKC To Stay, But Is Scott Brooks?[/h1]

By Bomani Jones - Contributor

By inking Russell Westbrook to a contract extension, the Thunder have said they're not worried about he and Kevin Durant. So who should they worry about? Their head coach.

Jan 20, 2012 - Guess the discussion of whetherRussell Westbrook and Kevin Durant could play together has been answered.

Sam Presti thinks the two will work out just fine. The Thunder just gave Westbrook a five-year, $80 million extension. That's $186 mil in extensions for those two guys, which isn't what one does for mismatching parts. Considering howJeff Green spent the end of last season lost with the Celtics, it's safe to say Presti would have moved Westbrook if that was best for the Thunder.

And if a trade ultimately proves to be the move because the point guard can't learn to share like a good boy? Good luck trading a spectacular talent who costs that much for enough assets to stay a contender. Looks like Kevin and Russ will be playing PlayStation on Friday nights in Oklahoma City until 2016.

The general manager is hailed as a genius. The contracts he's offered effectively make Westbrook and Durant indispensable. That leaves one major cog that can be replaced if the Thunder can't get closer to a title soon: the head coach.

Sounds like, if anyone's on the clock, it's Scott Brooks. The question is how long it's going to take before people realize he should be.

Brooks is a good coach. Oklahoma City got too successful too soon for that not to be the case. Is he a coach that can take a team to a championship? That seems more debatable than whether a team could win one with Russell Westbrook running the offense.

Whose job is it to mold Westbrook into the point guard the Thunder needs him to be? Who's supposed to provide the framework necessary to make both Durant and guys like Thabo Sefalosha in position to take and make good shots? Who is supposed to make Durant understand that he sometimes has to take shots, not just shoot them? Since when has such a talented scorer been allowed to tolerate a lesser player wanting shots more than him?

How does a 23-year-old point guard hold that much more sway than the superstar and the guy in the suit? And if the coach can't get through to either player, whose fault is that, really?

The Thunder do have general flaws and problems specifically in late-game situations. Westbrook does take more shots than most would prefer their point guards put up. Durant makes scoring look easy, but infamously couldn't bench press 185 pounds five years ago and has a hard time getting to the ball. And there are times he disappears late, seemingly watching Westbrook go all Carlton Banks when the whole gym's screaming "PASS THE BALL TO WILL!"

Except sometimes, a quick scan of NBAPlaybook.com's archives shows Will isn't doing enough to get open. Or the offense is poorly designed. Or Westbrook is doing a bad job of running a poorly designed offense when its top scorer isn't doing enough to get open.

It's been clear to anyone who chose to look that the Thunder's problems are collective. Everyone involved, relative to his peers, is young except Kendrick Perkins. He, at times, looks old. There's never been one thing to point to when they struggle, and none of the things listed but Perk answer why they can be beaten badly on the boards. It was never only about Westbrook.

Westbrook gets blamed for covering for others' mistakes and called selfish for beingfrustrated that a teammate wouldn't shoot, but no one's asking who's in charge around there? Now, with the Thunder emphatically -- and financially -- saying Westbrook isn't the problem, it's time to focus more attention elsewhere when looking for improvement.

So with all that going on, why is it assumed that a coach who has only coached as long as Westbrook's been in the league can lead a team to a championship?

Or, put differently -- what's the difference between Scott Brooks in Oklahoma City and Mike Brownin Cleveland? These sorts of comparisons make people uncomfortable, but think about it. Both were young coaches, inherited superstars before their second seasons, made their teams defensively respectable and offensively simplistic. In the process, both won lots of games and greatly exceeded expectations in their third seasons (Brooks in the conference finals in 2011, Brown in the NBA Finals in 2007).

And...Brown was fired after winning 147 games and three playoff series in his last two seasons with the Cavs, and being run over by a ball-dominating superstar he couldn't control. Those are the breaks.

And they sound awfully familiar.

So let's look at Brooks and see if he's running a program that can coax a championship out of his smallish roster. Let's see if Durant matures, physically and mentally, into a player who can demand the ball in a way that leaves Westbrook no choice but to look his way. Keep an eye on whether Oklahoma City continues to look poorly coached when they have the ball. And let's watch the development of Westbrook, whom Presti will be worth the $16 million per year Clay Bennett will pay him.

Or, we could keep talking about whether Russ and KD can get along. It's a cool soap opera, Shaq and Kobe on a smaller scale in a smaller city. But why waste that time when even it's clear they have no choice but to keep the peace, and every other option will be exhausted before breaking them up is even considered?

And stick with that narrative when we've already ignored so many things spent more time on how much Westbrook shoots instead of asking why?

Brooks has that "aww shucks" look that fits perfectly with the most "aww shucks" team in the league, the one David Stern could hold up to show the NBA has fully entered its dress coded, post-Iverson era. But that "aww shucks" will have a much different tone if OKC doesn't fix what ails them.

Those, as they were for Mike Brown, are the breaks.

Link
 For all the blame placed solely on Westbrook, I rarely see much of the media and other people ever blame the coach. Durant's inability to get open is partially his fault, but it's also the problem of their offense. No one wants Russ chucking contested shots or forcing passes, but when the playclock runs down and there's no other option, he has to.
Brooks isn't a bad coach by any means, but I think he's inherited a lot of his success thanks to management making the right draft picks and player moves.. rather than his own skill as a coach. They're playing great right now, so it shouldn't be an issue, but come playoffs if they struggle I really hope Brooks gets his fair share of the blame, rather than everyone piling on Russ. 

Originally Posted by Big J 33

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

article was good. Didnt realize collison was 31. damn i'm getting old.

I aint gonna lie, i've showered in my uniform before so I dint have to wash it. especially the road blacks. lol

Knicks
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

And to think in the NBA Media thread I agreed w/ somebody who said something like "This Knicks team is gonna go some damage"
laugh.gif

Deron
Shump
Fields
Amare
Chandler

That team would be run so much better. D'Antoni would actually be able to run the fast paced offense he wants. Melo still stays in New York in that deal and can take as many shots as he wants. Win-Win.

Such a Wizards play by Nick Young just now.
laugh.gif

Gets the breakaway dunk with the and-one foul and a chance to tie the game, but he also gets a technical for taunting.

Back
Top Bottom