∞HBO: "True Detective: Night Country" (Late 2023)...Season 4 Set in Alaska…Starring Jodie Foster…Barry Jenkins Producing∞

How would you grade Season II of "True Detective" ?

• A

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • B

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • C

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • D

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • F

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
It is true though that at the end of everything you could have cut woodrow out. His storyline was worthless. Didn't even try to make us feel bad by showing his wife and baby when he got killed. I honestly didn't care at all about him dying
This is exactly what I was saying after Episode 7. They built up his back story, which was actually pretty interesting and intriguing, but then just killed him off, rendering it all useless. I then thought we'd get some answers to things in the finale, but then of course we didn't.

It is true though that at the end of everything you could have cut woodrow out. His storyline was worthless. Didn't even try to make us feel bad by showing his wife and baby when he got killed. I honestly didn't care at all about him dying
This is exactly what I was saying after Episode 7. They built up his back story, which was actually pretty interesting and intriguing, but then just killed him off, rendering it all useless. I then thought we'd get some answers to things in the finale, but then of course we didn't.

yeah i was hoping for some more details / flash back to whatever he did with black rock or whatever it was called. When they kept referencing it and saying something about killing kids? i don't really remember but was hoping for that to play out more. That and i thought something strange was happening with him and his mom.

yeah i was hoping for some more details / flash back to whatever he did with black rock or whatever it was called. When they kept referencing it and saying something about killing kids? i don't really remember but was hoping for that to play out more. That and i thought something strange was happening with him and his mom.
There was definitely some weird sexual tension with his mom...

They kept mentioning several times early in the season that something happened to Woodrough's body/skin while he was in the Marines. We never found out what happened, did we? Or did I miss it?

oi
I won't say it was better than season 1. I will just say it was different.
One caveat though- dissecting film for plot holes, or other various mistakes, really ain't my bag, so I'm ain't goin there.

I enjoyed the character depth of the S1.
Meanwhile, season two seemed to focus more on depth of relationships and that was incredibly absorbing.
In season one, the writing was so intricate, but it wasn't overdone with complexity. You could make the choice to complicate the story and get into the fun of speculating as an at-home detective, or you could simply watch and enjoy the plot forthright. It was like the audience had the choice of walking through a maze, or going skydiving- and both options were equally fun!

This current season had less tangents into topics like m brain theory, but to me the dialogue was just as cool.
I definitely wasn't running to wikipedia to do extracicrricular reading on the story of the yellow king, or delving into Nietzsche, but the topics and words were just as provocative.
Hard to explain but I'd say it was more visceral? The first season made me think about life, while the second season made me want to experience life.
"You are the michael Jordan of being a son of a *****" made me laugh as hard as the e-cig jokes.
If I'm season 2, I'm jealous that the preceding season had one talented director for the entirety of the run.
Directing-wise, I'm sure a lot of people would say that this second year wasn't as impressive.
Good actors will always be interchangeable; the director is the most essential piece of the equation.
But if you think they're wasn't incredible acting this year then that's where I'll leave ya.
Farrell and McAdams were PHENOMENAL. And, all four of the stars were awesome to watch.

The finale was brilliant. Highly enjoyable. And, the directing was dope.
I loved how "bleak" the finale was. it made me feel empty. In the best way possible.
I might have even preferred if it ended with Rachel McAdams voiceover with the corruption montage, and we never saw the festival/baby stuff.
Each main character had a demise that was very fitting, and it's fun to analyze them in this way.
I also loved the girl playing music in the bar, and the repetition of her music was really powerful.
And the scenes in the cabin were so intense. They also brought to mind personal memories of long nights with drama and connections, which kind of sent me reeling.

wrap up/ wrap up/ wrap up/ wrap up/////

Season one may have been more cerebral,
but I felt this last season way more in my gut. Every single punch landed. And it hurt. It hurt good.

Last edited:
"Oh, babe. You stopped moving way back there."

VV killed that scene.

Chilling scene. Really thought he had a walk going on where he would ultimately collapse; just didn't think he did essentially right away.

Man that was prob the best scene of the whole finale. When she said that and he looked back at his own dead body i was like :wow: and then when he collapsed :frown:

Last edited:
I cared about Ray's character so much, I knew he was done as soon as he got off the highway.

This season may not get talked about much in a few years, but I hope Colin's performance echoes in eternity. He CRUSHED it and outshines his three other co-stars.

We met him as a broken man, and alcoholic, who had essentially been "dead" since his wife was raped. All he wanted to do was love his son.

Ani and Woodrugh motivated him to redeem himself when they realized a lot of bad people were getting away with....a lot. I agree with someone earlier that, though he was devestated after seeing his final voicemail didn't go through and basically gave up and just wanted to die.....Ray's seeing his boy toting around the badge was a beautiful scene.

Colin Farrell should absolutely be nominated for best actor in a drama.

I definitely missed the director from season 1, however a show can still be incredible with different directors every episode. Game of thrones for example

I cared about Ray's character so much, I knew he was done as soon as he got off the highway.

This season may not get talked about much in a few years, but I hope Colin's performance echoes in eternity. He CRUSHED it and outshines his three other co-stars.

We met him as a broken man, and alcoholic, who had essentially been "dead" since his wife was raped. All he wanted to do was love his son.

Ani and Woodrugh motivated him to redeem himself when they realized a lot of bad people were getting away with....a lot. I agree with someone earlier that, though he was devestated after seeing his final voicemail didn't go through and basically gave up and just wanted to die.....Ray's seeing his boy toting around the badge was a beautiful scene.

Colin Farrell should absolutely be nominated for best actor in a drama.
Eloquently said, sir.

Repped 
pimp.gif

Show started going south after the shoot out

Even tho it was fun trying to figure everything out..I was not excited to watch every Sunday

The finale was too predictable..it reminded me of Carlito's Way where he almost made it to paradise with his woman..but nope

U knew he was gonna stop to see his son..he was a fugitive and he went anyway?? wow come on ray

Again by midseason I really didn't care much for the show

I do give props for confusing the hell out of me lolol

I watched each week for one thing only. They knew if they teased McAdans getting naked each week we'd come back to watch this dumpster fire. Now I'm pissed.

I watched each week for one thing only. They knew if they teased McAdans getting naked each week we'd come back to watch this dumpster fire. Now I'm pissed.
this is the only thing that kept me going. and the massive shootout. the rest of it was a **** show

seriously. giving us "tastefully done love scenes" like this is a day time soap opera. :smh:

compare that to daddario season 1 and that explains what went wrong season 2.

this is supposed to be HBO dammit.

seriously. giving us "tastefully done love scenes" like this is a day time soap opera.
mean.gif

compare that to daddario season 1 and that explains what went wrong season 2.

this is supposed to be HBO dammit.
Now that you mention it, there wasn't a shining titty meat scene this season like Daddario last season.

Blah...

I really enjoyed the first 7 episodes and 40 minutes... The last 50 minutes absolutely killed it for me...

Frank and Rey died absolutely stupid deaths... Frank palm striked dude for no other reason than pride... He would have gotten dropped off naked in town, but alive... Rey felt the need to see his son instead of you know, Skypeing with him secretly... And seeing him alive...

It jumped the shark so hard after they stole the 12 million... So utterly stupid...

Blah...

I still don't fully get why Ray drove into the woods while being followed...

He just thought he had no other play?

Blah...

I really enjoyed the first 7 episodes and 40 minutes... The last 50 minutes absolutely killed it for me...

Frank and Rey died absolutely stupid deaths... Frank palm striked dude for no other reason than pride... He would have gotten dropped off naked in town, but alive...
Frank couldn't give up the suit because the diamonds were in there.

for future reference - one tapes the diamonds under their sack, that way in the event someone wants your suit youre good 
laugh.gif

Blah...

Frank and Rey died absolutely stupid deaths... Frank palm striked dude for no other reason than pride... He would have gotten dropped off naked in town, but alive...
Frank couldn't give up the suit because the diamonds were in there.

****... The Mexicans seemed reasonable... Coulda walked away with a couple stones and lived the nice Venezuela life... Stop being greedy...

Back
Top Bottom