∞HBO: "True Detective: Night Country" (Late 2023)...Season 4 Set in Alaska…Starring Jodie Foster…Barry Jenkins Producing∞

How would you grade Season II of "True Detective" ?

• A

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • B

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • C

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • D

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • F

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
Blah...

I really enjoyed the first 7 episodes and 40 minutes... The last 50 minutes absolutely killed it for me...

Frank and Rey died absolutely stupid deaths... Frank palm striked dude for no other reason than pride... He would have gotten dropped off naked in town, but alive...
Frank couldn't give up the suit because the diamonds were in there.

I think the character was built this way that he was not ever willing to be broke again and that was his downfall. Granted...give up the suit lose the diamonds start over with your wife be happy. But the show built frank to be this cut throat never take an L type guy. And everyone knew he wasn't' going to give that dude his suit. Even if there were no diamonds in it...he prob still wouldn't have given it up.

Ray driving into the woods though....idk. Why he had to see his kid again? Idk. How the cops knew he would be there...idk? That was way too circumstantial to be believable. Same with frank just casually gets rolled up on by the mexicans. Like what are the odds they find him at that point in time right before he gets away. Too circumstantial again...they just wanted them both to die and its how they figured they would do it i guess

Vince's acting wasn't the problem, the stupid *** lines that were written for him was the problem

Collin had some terrible lines but he still made it work. Vimce was easily the weakest link of the season. He was terrible honestly.

Call me crazy, but i thought the second half of this season was better than the second half of last season. I thought after episode 5 last year it went downhill. Fact of the matter is in both seasons the killer ended up being very random but i thought ot kind of worked better this time around. It was more layered.

But the 1st 5 episodes of season 1 are some of the greatest im television history.

If i didnt binge watch this season id have no idea what was happening. That helped alot. I feel like there is a gem hidden in season 2. It could have been greatness instead of just pretty good. Pacing issues, writing issues, Vince was terrible. Prob could have used 10 episodes. I liked taylor kitch but the character barely served any purpose.

Like i said. There was alot of very good atuff especially in the 2nd half of the season. Collin was unreal. And i liked alot of what was being touched on. I would love a 3rd seaason.

And with regards to the writing, yeah I guess you can explain alot of bad dialogue being "pulp" bit of so the execution was bad. LA confidential.... now that is good pulp

Last edited:
caspere was a scapegoat in that they made him unseen and still unlikable.  like solving his murder wasnt because he was such a good upstanding member of the community who deserved justice.

^yeah that's what's exactly happening with HBO giving him some options on how to go about S3, I hope he's finally been humbled enough to realize he needs help:

However, the deal paves the way for a go-ahead decision for another season of “True Detective.” Sources say HBO has been looking to make a change in the way the show is run, given the critical response to the second season, and has presented Pizzolatto with a number of options. Those options include: him working with a staff of writers, having a new showrunner come in, as well as him going it alone again. In all scenarios, he would remain an exec producer.

Sources say HBO has been pressing Pizzolatto for an answer so they can move forward with production on the show.

Last edited:
Pizzolatto without Fukunaga was complete buns in TD Season 2.

So happy Fukunaga is flourishing.

Last edited:
Fukunga is great but he's not the reason TD S2 was buns.

No director could be made that season flourish unless they rewrote it themselves.

S1 simply captured something with Rust Cohle that you simply can't recreate with a cast of new characters. You get Woody and MM for S1 as main characters, you needed at least Cumberbatch and Elba to try and match that.

I mean they had ******* Kitsch share screen time as a main character :smh:

Last edited:
so dude blew s2

scared to make s3

but they think ppl wanna watch a new show from him instead of s3? 
mean.gif

I honestly wish they give the title and brand of the show to a new creator.

Nic actually is shook to do a S3, if it ever comes won't be this year. I knew he was shook when I read some things he said about S2. Probably knows he can't redeem himself since we will probably take him not being the writer for every ep. He already passed on the one writer, one director format. Probably don't want to be embarassed taking that next step.

At this point he might not risk his reputation. He's probably just a really good writer/creator but he was being called a genius after S1 and probably could've asked for anything from HBO maybe even land a movie from WB.

Last edited:
Fukunga is great but he's not the reason TD S2 was buns.

No director could be made that season flourish unless they rewrote it themselves.

S1 simply captured something with Rust Cohle that you simply can't recreate with a cast of new characters. You get Woody and MM for S1 as main characters, you needed at least Cumberbatch and Elba to try and match that.

I mean they had ******* Kitsch share screen time as a main character :smh:

I think it's more of season 1 being Pizzolato's passion project that he spent a few years perfecting. And after the success of that, he had to rush to come up with some **** for season 2.

Season 2 was definitely a situation where having a writers room like Breaking Bad would help, but Nic just wanted to do it all himself.

Honestly Nic isn't that great of a writer. Having Fukunaga, woody, and Matt definitely lifted the material. Looking back, there was definitely some questionable dialogue and the whole story lost steam after episode 5.

No doubt it was a passion project and really there's pros and cons to the whole approach. You got ya Fargos and AHS. MM and Woody definitely elevated the scripts for something like this so you definitely gotta have the best cast.

He would've been better off calling it a limited series (which HBO would've done) and it would've got all the Emmys anyway. Especially if he had no plan and great ideas for S2.

If he wanted he didn't even have to do S1 the way he did and make the show an ongoing series (perhaps more connective tissue for the hand off to a new set of detectives during S2) cuz the plot of S2 could've been handled by Rust and Marty. Just cut out the time skip and the falling out between the two.

Last edited:
Season 2 was so bad. Didn't even bother with the season after the 2nd episode.

Rewatched season 1 again and its fantastic.

Thank god there won't be a season 3. If it's as bad season as season 2, they should just save their time and money....

"never do anything out of hunger, not even eating."

I'd say the main problem where the comically bad quotes. I thought the story and acting was occasionally really good and other times mediocre.

Yeah Season 2 was messy. Colin Ferrell saved that season.

The writing was all over the place. I think the acting was generally pretty good. I thought Vaughn did well with what he had, but some of it was so overwritten and up its own ******* it just came off bad.

Frank's last scene of the series is straight up masterpiece status, though.

'Oh baby, you stopped walking way back there.

:frown:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom