∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

[QUOTE url="/t/569038/hbos-true-detective-2-1-19-14-seeing-things-mcconaughey-harrelson-7-episodes-left/90#post_19560281"]
I just can't wait to see what transpires to get them from where they were in the 90s to 2012.

[/B]
Anyone notice that Woody's character wasn't wearing a wedding ring in 2012? Also, I'm pretty sure they are interviewing them because MM's character is a suspect in the new murder.
Its cuz Mcconaughey bangs Woody's wife calling it right now. Thats what causes the falling out. Notice how after mcconaughey started talking to woodys wife he didn't want to leave the house anymore like they had planned.
[/quote]
I didn't see anything like attraction in that scene AT ALL. As said it might develop later but I saw none of those signs in that first ep. I just felt like he changed his mind cuz he was actually feeling better and it was all apart of just how he socializes or he could've just enjoyed being around the girls and the wife actually talking.

Re-watched it to ensure I caught all the dialogue. Definitely feels like Se7en. :smokin

_1387221181.gif

Just finished epi 1.  Very interesting indeed.  Like a few others, I'm gonna have to re-watch bits just to make sure I caught all the dialogue.  

Last edited:
I actually did get a weird vibe in that dinner scene about Woody's wife and Cohle.

I thought I was crazy so I didn't wanna be the first to say it.

Not saying that either of them were exactly giving it away but I have to say there was something about the way The wife was looking at Cohle that definitely didn't seem "normal" for a happy wife. Hard to explain, but I think I'm in the same boat as Tupack, I seen it.. It was subtle but I felt sommmmething there for sure, especially since Cohle didn't wanna leave anymore. That was some amazing acting by all of them, body language spoke volumes to me.

Plus take into account when Woody fell asleep on the couch, his wife woke him up and was being affectionate and telling him how much she misses him... And dude basically ignored all that and just rushed to get ready for work. You could feel the "whatever loser" vibe on her face as he left her there in the living room.

Not tryna make extreme assumptions but I mean... Everything is shown for a reason, I think that foreshadowed some distance growing between husband and wife right there.

We'll see though. *kanye shrug*
Definitely excited to see what happens. :pimp:

I think Hart is cheating on his wife with Daddario's character and that is the cause of the divorce.

Last edited:
Just read the thread, glad I'm not alone thinking woody is cheating

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew he was cheating when she said that she was only to give the records to him and no one else.

The premiere garnered 2.3 million viewers, the largest series opener for HBO since Boardwalk Empire debuted in 2010.

Yeah that speech matty gave in the car about our existence was on some other level, very deep.

Glad TD got a good opening since hbo needs another show with BE having its final season.

The wife does seem lonely and woody quickly tended to alexandra in the office. Could happen, but at the same time this is hbo and the writers usually do not follow cliches. We'll see.

And yea two new detectives each season ala AHS format on fx for who was asking. We were throwing ideas in the beginning of the thread on what pair of actors should do S2.

Is this the first show that has one writer and one director for all episodes in the first season? Has it been done before?

Last edited:
Yeah that dinner scene was acted so amazing its crazy. Everything from the looks, movements, hand placements, etc. :pimp:

My new favorite show.

If they do the format with 2 new detectives every season, I'd like to see Michael Pena as one of them next season . That brother needs to be in more stuff...

HBO theGAWD 

im already going through withdrawals after watching the 1st episode.. 

this show is damn good. 

i'd say the premier was perfect if it weren't for one big flaw IMO.... which is the fact that only like 2 people had any kind of LA accent... how could this happen? the setting is rural Lousiana, where their southern draw is one of the most unique and recognizable sounds in the world... personally, I love that **** and for a show this well scripted and executed to miss that is very disappointing... 

but aside from all that.... i'm definitely going to be telling people about it and staying active in this thread 

what I liked the most was the format... the interview almost 20 years later... both characters have aged and when the scenes jump around back in 1995 it's very easy to follow and understand where they are.. also it looks like 1995... dinner table had that blue koolaid pitcher we all had... those yellow tinted dinner cups

I only read the last page and saw a lot of speculation about Cohle and his partners wife... I didn't get the initial impression that anything was going on between them... I felt that he stayed because he missed his daughter and being around their two girls was something he needed -- and I say this because there was a lot of focus on the two girls, even little dumb **** like them whispering back and forth. I could see the divorce happening because of work, like in most cop dramas... I feel that way because of the scene where she wakes him up on the couch and 5 mins later he's back at it again rushing to work .... add that to her questioning Cohle about work and it just made sense to me that she's feels his job > her ... what I took from the scene and what others took from it are both pretty cliche and I'd hope a show with this much potential goes another route... a smarter, more thought out route

Last edited:
I can't remember off hand, but did Cohle say something about not being a fan of religion? Reason I ask is that I'm pretty sure he had a big cross over his bed in his apartment.

He explained the cross is just used for meditation. It was the car ride when woody kept saying "just shut **** up" "keep that **** to yourself" while matty keep monologuing about his unorthodox beliefs and stuff.

Last edited:
i dont think Cohle sleeps with Hart's wife but snitches on Hart bout cheating and that causes the divorce

Glad to see others really digging the first ep. That was as good as a pilot of a show as I have watched in awhile. I really love how the story is being told here and very intrigued to see how this season plays out.

I have never followed an Anthology series so I am intrigued to see the stories over the several seasons.

Glad to see others really digging the first ep. That was as good as a pilot of a show as I have watched in awhile. I really love how the story is being told here and very intrigued to see how this season plays out.

I have never followed an Anthology series so I am intrigued to see the stories over the several seasons.

Word.

I'm very excited as well. :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom