∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

TD competing as Drama Series rather than mini series at Emmys:

deadline

That's dumb.

It's probably an HBO thing, cuz Newsroom didn't work out and they know if GoT ain't come close yet, it ain't neverr gonna win. And they haven't really competed for best drama since...Sopranos? AMC got more Emmys than HBO these days. It's corny that HBO's thirst could cost TD a bunch of trophies, but I get aiming for the biggest prize when you know you got a shot.

Last edited:
McConaughey has a good chance against Cranston imo. Little brother loves sucking up to big brother when it comes to Emmy votes and there might be the general feeling that Cranston has been awarded enough for his role in BB. I might even go as far as to say Matts gonna be the favorite over Cranston.

Out of the four major awards that BB and TD are gonna compete for, I'd say right now they're gonna split

Best Series: BB
Best Direction:TD
Best Writing: BB
Best Actor: McConaughey

Last edited:
TD bout to take that L unfortunately, why even try to go against BB?
I'm sayin....I don't really see it as TD vs. BB.

I see it as ALL the Emmys as a miniseries, vs..."cross your fingers as a series."
...even though it's only 8 episodes and like 95% of the people/story/locations in it and behind it are one and done.

Part of me wants HBO's thirst to backfire.

If they were to go for miniseries would that kinda lock them into that for future seasons?

While they don't have a chance this year IMO that could change in the future.

That's a good point...I think I remember Downton Abbey was a mini its first season. Then switched after. I'm pretty sure they keep the same cast and all.

But yeah...this is HBO trying to be topdog again, now that they see BB and MM ending, and Newsroom, GoT and Boardwalk ain't doing it.

Going up against Ozymandias and the last season of BB, though... >D ...Why not wait til next year.

GoT or Boardwalk aren't doing it? Probably 2 of the more acclaimed shows on TV and IIRC GoT has the highest viewership for HBO since The Soprano's.

Should've gone with the miniseries category like AHS does,gonna be tough against the other shows and for McConaughey against Cranston,Hamm,Spacey etc. Would love to see him get it though,he was outstanding as Rust.

Last edited:
GoT or Boardwalk aren't doing it? Probably 2 of the more acclaimed shows on TV and IIRC GoT has the highest viewership for HBO since The Soprano's.

HBO loves the prestige. Guarantee that if Boardwalk had been able to pick up a best drama or best actor Emmy for buscemi, this upcoming season would not be the final one.

GoT or Boardwalk aren't doing it?
You missed my point.

Only reason to put TD as best series, is cuz HBO doubts GoT or BE could win big. And they're right. Either would've won more by now, if they were ever gonna. Boardwalks hype died down and the show is ending pretty short. GoT is probably one of the 3 or 4 most popular shows on TV right now? Blackwater didn't even get nominated for best directing. They ain't giving the big awards to a fantasy show.

AMC won just about everything ever since Sopranos went off the air, and now Netflix is coming. HBO doesn't just wanna put out good TV, they wanna drag their nuts over everyone else, like they used to in the Sopranos days. It's just...why wouldn't you dodge the last car of the BB train, if you could.

It would not be a surprise to see TD beat out BB in any category.

I woulda agreed right after the 5th ep. But the last 3 kinda brought it back down to earth for a lot of people.

Last edited:
You missed my point. Only reason to put TD as best series, is cuz HBO doubts GoT or BE could win big. And they're right. Either would've won more by now, if they were ever gonna.

AMC has won just about everything ever since Sopranos went off the air, and now Netflix is coming. HBO doesn't just wanna put out good TV, they wanna drag their nuts over everyone else trying to do it, like they used to in the Sopranos days. It's just...why wouldn't you dodge the last car of the BB train, if you could.
I woulda agreed right after the 5th ep. But the last 3 kinda brought it back down to earth for a lot of people.

Oh I get you now. I agree,sounds a little greedy on HBO's part :lol:. I'm sure that if they would've kept Boardwalk going a little longer,with the big 2 of BB and MM ending, they might've gotten a few awards or 2. Think they won a Golden Globe one year but it's not an Emmy I guess :lol:.

Last edited:
I just think everyone feels like BB is going to clean up in every category because it has to...if you know what I mean.

Personally I think TD should beat BB for writing and lead actor.

Last edited:
Na I think we think that BB is going to win cause it should, it's the best show ever and Season 5 was its best season.

As much as I loved MM as Rust, Cranston was still better and the best performance by any lead actor ever. What he did in Ozymandias alone, is enough for him to win.

I think BB is gonna submit Ozymandias and the seas are gonna part.

But hey, at least it's a race now, instead of a victory lap. :lol:

Last edited:
That's your opinion either way

S5 > TD

Not a slight to TD at all either, it's better than any other show out there besides BB.

Last edited:
Probably just cause its fresher in my mind, I haven't watched S3 in a while, It was my favorite.

HBO loves the prestige. Guarantee that if Boardwalk had been able to pick up a best drama or best actor Emmy for buscemi, this upcoming season would not be the final one.
No Boardwalk had to end.  The problem with the show is it was supposed to tell Nucky Thompson's story from the perspective of Jimmy Dahmardy and his family, but Michael Pitt was such a douche bag they had to kill him off and it ****** up the whole direction of the series from season 2 on.  Now every season is the same thing -- Nucky has a new love interest, there's a new big deal to complete that always goes wrong, a new super villain from a far corner of the American criminal underworld to go head to head against, someone major killed off in the finale, and Capone works towards seizing power by the end of the series.  That's all Boardwalk is and why the writers realized there really isn't anywhere to take it once they got locked into following Nucky Thompsons wikipedia page.  Plus for a great actor, they write Buscemi's role really boring.  He's the least interesting thing about the show.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom