⚽️The Footy Thread: German Super Cup, International Champions Cup, Copa Libertadores

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

(to Maguire and MdL)

have no way of watching the finale. just gonna hit this Nas album at work instead

I’m glad they didn’t call that a handball. Would’ve been some bull**** defenders arm was right next to his body

Went to the benfica training this morning at Stanford. Maybe 200-300 people showed up, was expecting like 50-100. Didn’t know there are so many benfica fans in the Bay Area maybe because I rarely go out of the city. Makes me wonder how many Porto fans are out here.

Watched them scrimmage and train for about an hour and a half. Then one of the officials told us after the training if we line up along the railing, they’ll come by and interact with us. During the training Rui Costa was walking on the far side of the pitch but I was able to get his attention and he acknowledged and waved back. Love Rui Costa. Just the fact he waved back made my day. After the training the team walked over and applauded us but only four or five players stayed around for the fans. Lolol. If I would’ve known I would’ve worn a porto jersey.

31CEA010-D056-4D84-AFFC-F878C2952357.jpeg
F5C66B4A-8D7D-4C17-99A9-C854D3A6701C.jpeg
5F42B389-DCEC-4F8D-A83F-008E42A04CA8.jpeg

Jota came by but stopped halfway down the line. RDT stopped a couple people short of me. Caio and Florentino Luis went down the whole line. Was able to get a picture with Florentino
864A6BF5-73EE-4782-B03F-B926663225BF.jpeg

At the very end, Luisao came by and went down the whole line taking pictures, kissing babies, slapping backs, and having conversations. Probably spent a good 45 minutes making sure he got to everyone. Dude remembered me from the giants game last month. Lolol.
99BC332A-8B12-4194-9C6F-EA959330518A.jpeg

Wanted to get pictures with Rui Costa, rafa, Andre almeida, and pizzi for the one guy that asked wtf is a pizzi a while ago, but overall a good day since we hardly experience this stuff over here. And also made it to benfica twitter.
864EAFDC-3263-472F-BA36-BBCEC47FEE49.png

Thought I shared this here since you guys will appreciate it. Coworkers questioned me why I would take a random Thursday off just to go to a training.

Nice. Little Portugal area in San Jose is 99% Benfica territory, so I'm not surprised at the turnout. Glad you got to see Rui Costa; he's my favorite from that era :pimp: Still not going to the match on Saturday though.

If you're back in the area, check out Bacalhau Grill. I almost never eat European food (unless it's free) but I love hitting it up for some to-go Portuguese food and wine once in a while (it's also a market, so you can also get good wine and piss-water Sagres/Super Bock for cheap)

Curious why you rarely go out of the city though; everytime I return home from the city (moved out years ago but still work there) my mood gets so much better since I don't have to deal with cultureless tech bros and fiends everywhere

Last edited:
I am not sure how it is outside of CA but many of us here are excited for the "El Traffico" match tonight.

Dominic Kinnear, Galaxy assistant coach: Walking on the field its a different game, 100%. The only thing I could maybe equate it to would be an MLS Cup final.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Galaxy forward: Its like in Europe playing the derbies — the El Clasico you have in Spain, the Milano derby, Marseilles-PSG, United-Liverpool — you feel the heat. That keeps me alive, that keeps me on my toes.

Plenty of drama to be had
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...town-says-ex-la-galaxy-striker-herculez-gomez (According to him LA is an LAFC town now. I think most over 30 support the LA Galaxy while the millennials support LAFC. From what I notice Central/South Americans and Anglos seem to prefer the Galaxy while Mexicans seems to prefer LAFC cuz of Vela)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...atan-ibrahimovic-rips-carlos-vela/1774623001/ (Zlatan says he is better than Vela by far)

https://www.lagconfidential.com/2019/7/17/20698929/hundreds-of-lafc-fans-shut-out-of-el-trafico (Game is sold out and Galaxy kept LAFC supporters from trying to cause chaos in the Galaxy supporters section)

Last edited:
Nice. Little Portugal area in San Jose is 99% Benfica territory, so I'm not surprised at the turnout. Glad you got to see Rui Costa; he's my favorite from that era :pimp: Still not going to the match on Saturday though.

If you're back in the area, check out Bacalhau Grill. I almost never eat European food (unless it's free) but I love hitting it up for some to-go Portuguese food and wine once in a while (it's also a market, so you can also get good wine and piss-water Sagres/Super Bock for cheap)

Curious why you rarely go out of the city though; everytime I return home from the city (moved out years ago but still work there) my mood gets so much better since I don't have to deal with cultureless tech bros and fiends everywhere

I agree.
I live in SJ and we play plenty of teams with Portugal ties. Coming from SoCal I noticed that there are large Portuguese and Greek communities here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom