⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hand checking downhill absolutely exists but guys are too crafty to just be moving around at the top of the key like they were in the 90s

Hand checking still exists today and I don't think there was ever a point where you could just hold guys without getting called for it

Depends on how you define the word HOLD.

During the 90s, defenders like Alvin Robertson and Derek Harper definitely were allowed to keep that hand/forearm on the ball-handlers hip. Players of that era are on record of saying that happened and how it changed going into the late 90s/early 2000s.

Also refs were less likely to call fouls when post defenders held the "Elbow/FOrearm in the Back" of a Back to the Basket player.

So by all accounts, defensive players were given a longer rope.

Hand checking downhill absolutely exists but guys are too crafty to just be moving around at the top of the key like they were in the 90s
The combination of the two has just opened the game up for Smaller and/or Skilled Players.

I would love to have seen Zeke/Kein Johnson given the opportunity to flourish in this era.

The combination of the two has just opened the game up for Smaller and/or Skilled Players.

I would love to have seen Zeke/Kein Johnson given the opportunity to flourish in this era.

they’d get a boost with dame usage. But again you never hear about hand checking slowing them down. It’s the Mark Jackson’s that make hand checking seem like the steel curtain

Depends on how you define the word HOLD.

During the 90s, defenders like Alvin Robertson and Derek Harper definitely were allowed to keep that hand/forearm on the ball-handlers hip. Players of that era are on record of saying that happened and how it changed going into the late 90s/early 2000s.

Also refs were less likely to call fouls when post defenders held the "Elbow/FOrearm in the Back" of a Back to the Basket player.

So by all accounts, defensive players were given a longer rope.
Look at this video of this gentleman explaining what hand checking looked like and talking about how it's been outlawed and then watch how the Celtics guarded Booker yesterday. There's not some drastic difference like people talk about and make it seem like you can't touch guys anymore. The Celtics are doing everything that is supposedly outlawed. This happens every single game

they’d get a boost with dame usage. But again you never hear about hand checking slowing them down. It’s the Mark Jackson’s that make hand checking seem like the steel curtain
THey went off but they have spoken on hand-checking making things a little toughER for them.

But yea, THey were simply elite level talents so they made it happen regardless of the resistance.

still a few guys that get away with hand checking. usually the one's with defensive reputation like bev, kawhi, klay, kd, dray, cp0, bron

still a few guys that get away with hand checking. usually the one's with defensive reputation like bev, kawhi, klay, kd, dray, cp0, bron

Look at this video of this gentleman explaining what hand checking looked like and talking about how it's been outlawed and then watch how the Celtics guarded Booker yesterday. There's not some drastic difference like people talk about and make it seem like you can't touch guys anymore. The Celtics are doing everything that is supposedly outlawed
Yes, I have watched Brewer's video on the topic before.

Of course there will be INSTANCES of players getting away with it today. That wasn't the argument.

The point is the game was reffed differently in the past. If Harper/RObertson (most notorious players from the past the used it) tried that today, they would run into foul troubles.

Please reference Scottie Pippen's explanation.

David Stern definitely wanted to open the game up to promote more scoring.

THey went off but they have spoken on hand-checking making things a little toughER for them.

But yea, THey were simply elite level talents so they made it happen regardless of the resistance.

i bet they were more flustered with spacing than hand checking. All the guys with sauce would tell you it’s about the help defense, not the man in front of you

Kevin Johnson ATTEMPTED more than 50 3s in a season only twice in his career :lol:

And he was a career 84% FT shooter.

Mind bottling.

i bet they were more flustered with spacing than hand checking. All the guys with sauce would tell you it’s about the help defense, not the man in front of you
Yep.

It is always funny thinking about older eras.

I wonder if they even KNEW they were experiencing clutter.

Or did they realize it when they started to see the game open up (after retirement).

BA6DC0BE-1FFE-4D1B-AB28-D302975F14D7.jpeg

Magic Randle

Kevin Johnson ATTEMPTED more than 50 3s in a season only twice in his career :lol:

And he was a career 84% FT shooter.

Mind bottling.

He was more of a pull-up from the Elbow type. That was his shot. His range wasn't THAT deep.

KJ born in 96, I wonder what his jumper would look like in a era that promoted him always being in attack mode.

He was more of a pull-up from the Elbow type. That was his shot. His range wasn't THAT deep.

KJ born in 96, I wonder what his jumper would look like in a era that promoted him always being in attack mode.
Right.

That range is absolutely getting extended if he were born in 96 though. The elbow pull up certainly wouldn't go away (see CP3 for example), but A LOT of those are getting turned into above the break 3s. Then he can take even more advantage of his burst/athleticism with defenders having to guard him close out there.

Like John Wall for example. Takes just enough to make defenders have to go out there. Then he blows by.

Evolution is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom