⭐ OFFICIAL 2020-2021 NBA Off-Season Thread: Olympics begin 7/23; NBA Draft 7/29⭐

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do a good job of dressing it up but the whole NBA Africa thing kinda comes off as exploitation/colonization. Something about it just feels weird but hopefully it benefits the continent more than anything
As far as international investments made in Africa by wealthy countries (and there aren’t enough) it’s probably one of the least predatory

As far as white people supporting black civil rights and liberation there’s always been a mix of both in the history of America…. I mean you have John Brown who gave his life for the cause with his sons, and you have Abraham Lincoln who ended up doing the right thing for a lot of complicated political reasons even though it’s not clear he was ever a true believer….

Lots of white people do have black people they love in their lives or a true belief in justice. Some can’t be much bothered to support in ways that aren’t easy.
While I agree with your statement,much of these new-age supporters don't equate to the names you've mentioned. As someone who was out during those protests last year, I saw some funny **** that not only confirmed my suspicions but also made me shake my head in disgust.

As far as white people supporting black civil rights and liberation there’s always been a mix of both in the history of America…. I mean you have John Brown who gave his life for the cause with his sons, and you have Abraham Lincoln who ended up doing the right thing for a lot of complicated political reasons even though it’s not clear he was ever a true believer….

Lots of white people do have black people they love in their lives or a true belief in justice. Some can’t be much bothered to support in ways that aren’t easy.

A lot of them white folks that "supported" civil rights was agents and Lincoln's own words he was a racist. John Brown might be the only one in history to really stand on it.

So you can make a claim, folks question you on it and now you want to act like someone is harassing you or something.

Cool.

Would be easier for you to simply say, "I don't know what I was talking about."

Why you always tryna pick a fight you big bully. :lol:

Props to Nigeria for the W, read that the last 2 times they played USA they lost by 45 and 83. Those last few min of USA basketball was terrible. Dame dont look like he knew really what to kinda do, do his thing or give the ball up. They gotta figure out that closing 5. Book, Mid and Jrue aint saving them. Didnt even know Jrue made the squad.

Why you always tryna pick a fight you big bully. :lol:

Props to Nigeria for the W, read that the last 2 times they played USA they lost by 45 and 83. Those last few min of USA basketball was terrible. Dame dont look like he knew really what to kinda do, do his thing or give the ball up. They gotta figure out that closing 5. Book, Mid and Jrue aint saving them. Didnt even know Jrue made the squad.

I just want someone to make sense of this "Alpha" talk.

That's all. It isn't picking a fight it is someone explaining a long running label that is used on a day to day basis.

I don't know what it means.
I don't know who possesses it.
I don't know who doesn't possess it.

But nobody can give any answers.

While I agree with your statement,much of these new-age supporters don't equate to the names you've mentioned. As someone who was out during those protests last year, I saw some funny **** that not only confirmed my suspicions but also made me shake my head in disgust.

For example?

They do a good job of dressing it up but the whole NBA Africa thing kinda comes off as exploitation/colonization. Something about it just feels weird but hopefully it benefits the continent more than anything

Both the groups just going along with the crowd and some confused people in general. I will say that hopefully at least some are learning. As a mixed race (non black) person, reality is that the white liberal education teaches about racist history and some aspects of systematic oppression but doesnt come close to covering the reality of deliberate, contemporary systematic racism. And I’m from
Harlem and it took many experiences later in my life for me to understand. For these suburban kids who have grown up with only white people their entire life, well…. We will see.

A lot of them white folks that "supported" civil rights was agents and Lincoln's own words he was a racist. John Brown might be the only one in history to really stand on it.
Yeah that’s true though unfortunately power in America means that some action will always be required from those people.

John Brown is not the only one but he is probably the greatest one. And he was minimized in history in the post reconstruction backlash. Obviously anyone who took similar actions today would not be praised either as all radicalism for civil rights is disapproved of.

I just want someone to make sense of this "Alpha" talk.

That's all. It isn't picking a fight it is someone explaining a long running label that is used on a day to day basis.

I don't know what it means.
I don't know who possesses it.
I don't know who doesn't possess it.

But nobody can give any answers.

That alpha list is tough.

So an “alpha” NBA player would be one to be vocal, will or be a leader and bring his team to victory, and just have that dog in him.

One can be a star or superstar and not be an alpha, I dont see AD as an alpha dog for example though I do see him as a superstar. I can see why Draymond would be on peoples lists though. Cp3, Bron, Luka (?). Westbrook plays with a lot of heart and intensity, would def throw him in there. Jimmy a dog, last year bubble games showed that. KD I dont see as an alpha even though hes probably gonna be the best player on the court 9/10 times. Dame? Seems a little quiet for me, one of those silent killers.

Meh, its a lot tougher to put an alpha list.

So an “alpha” NBA player would be one to be vocal, will or be a leader and bring his team to victory, and just have that dog in him.

One can be a star or superstar and not be an alpha, I dont see AD as an alpha dog for example though I do see him as a superstar. I can see why Draymond would be on peoples lists though. Cp3, Bron, Luka (?). Westbrook plays with a lot of heart and intensity, would def throw him in there. Jimmy a dog, last year bubble games showed that. KD I dont see as an alpha even though hes probably gonna be the best player on the court 9/10 times. Dame? Seems a little quiet for me, one of those silent killers.

I don’t see how you can call Westbrook “alpha” when he’s one of the most mentally fragile players in clutch/high stakes situations. Seems like you’re getting fooled by the mean mugging. Which is a good example of why this label is overly subjective

You understand we are basing this off player personalities that are displayed in public, on court, on social media and NOT when they are alone with their teammates?

So we really have no clue.

That is a big part of why this "Alpha Talk" is silly.

To me it sounds like a combination of solid play with aggressive communication skills.

Silly.

I don’t see how you can call Westbrook “alpha” when he’s one of the most mentally fragile players in clutch/high stakes situations. Seems like you’re getting fooled by the mean mugging. Which is a good example of why this label is overly subjective

Very subjective. Westbrook plays hard, barks yadda yadda. He aint afraid of taking the last shot or a clutch shot so what do you mean hes mentally fragile in those situations?

You understand we are basing this off player personalities that are displayed in public, on court, on social media and NOT when they are alone with their teammates?

So we really have no clue.

That is a big part of why this "Alpha Talk" is silly.

To me it sounds like a combination of solid play with aggressive communication skills.

Silly.

I was speaking on court, and yeah if you wana define alpha on the court its pretty much that.

I was speaking on court, and yeah if you wana define alpha on the court its pretty much that.

But you can't JUST include on the court if we are talking about LEADERSHIP.

Since yall want to evaluate someone's leadership skills by how much "Alpha" they have in them.

Why does/should "Alpha" not also factor in non-game activity, since THAT happens WAY more than actual GAMEplay.

Very subjective. Westbrook plays hard, barks yadda yadda. He aint afraid of taking the last shot or a clutch shot so what do you mean hes mentally fragile in those situations?
It’s just very clear that he loses his head in clutch situations very often from watching him play, takes even worse shots than normal, makes bad turnovers, just looks nervous. And his playoff performance record is terrible. He’s the polar opposite of cool under pressure

Since this actually turned into a discussion. Isnt this what a leader is on the basketball court? When **** hits the fan who is this team going to turn to organize them? To lead them?

I mentioned these guys in my previous posts. This team doesnt have a player like that.

Lebron
Kobe
CP
Wade

Since this actually turned into a discussion. Isnt this what a leader is on the basketball court?

I mentioned these guys in my previous posts. This team doesnt have a player like that.

Lebron
Kobe
CP
Wade

I don't know why someone has to speak to their teammates in an aggressive manner to qualify for that silly "Alpha" label?

I call it SILLY because you all present it as the IDEAL/ELITE/BEST form of leadership and anyone NOT that isn't a "true" leader/#1.

Again, it is illogical

For a team loaded with talent, yes it is the ideal form of leadership. Throw KG on that list too.

All of the best players on this current team arent necessarily the vocal type.

It'll be interesting to see who they turn to. This current team would get beat by the 2008 2012 Spain teams. Probably easily too.

KD was the “alpha” on the 2016 team that won gold. Lead the 2012 team in scoring and was the best player on the floor.

but I’m sleep

Russ just got a big personality that's not a leader. Russ ain't really a good leader. He plays too reckless and does a lot of **** outta frustration.

It ain't that hard to see whos a good leader or not. Somebody that has a track record of leading winning teams. Other players want to join them. Can adjust their games to fit with other good/great players, plays smart. Some of it your personality how you communicate with your teammates.

Kuz can average 20+ on a bad team. That's not even really a stretch in today's NBA
Might be legit 70 guys in the league who can.

Jerami Grant did it . Spencer Dinwiddie type players could also.
It would have to be a REALLY bad team
Eh Kuz's bag has regressed so much from his rookie season I don't know if he still got it like that. He maybe could do 18-20 ppg on a bad team.
Just short of doing it on a bad team in 18-19

Despite his shortcomings, I've always had a soft spot for Kuzma. He went from having the green light on a lottery team with no expectations to having to carve out a role in reduce minutes on a championship team. He had to go from essentially being a one-dimensional scorer to working on his defense, rebounding and playing off the ball.

Kuzma's ideal roll is to be a low efficiency, high volume score on a bottom feeder. He can definitely get you 20 in Cleveland 😂. The funny thing is, I think he would be happy putting a big numbers on a terrible team and getting a sizable contract in a couple of years. He's already got a ring 🤷🏿‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom