🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

What's interesting to me,

is how Big Drake is as an artist, and yet he can't really get OVO off the ground.

They don't have a single artist who even looks like they are going to come close to going go. Don't have any top 40 hits, no box office stars, no nothing. You would think that wouldn't be the case if they have Drake and the OVO / Apple Machine behind them. 

You already know that the "they can't flourish because they're giving their best work to Drake" comments are on the way :lol:

But I agree. Them living in orbit around Drake is a gift and curse, and I can't quite tell which it's more of. The fact that they get to open up for the biggest artist in hip-hop means that they pretty much hit the ground running in terms of becoming touring acts, but their projects and singles just don't seem to make much noise in the grand scheme. They gain decently sized dedicated followings that don't seem to grow that much from the outside looking in.

Like, they're not going to starve with how things are, but it feels like there's a ceiling put on them.

I'd say that if Party can't make any real noise with this album, it might be time to rethink their promotion approach or Drake might find himself losing some real talent again.

Last edited:

All those dudes suck. It's not like the G-Unit St. Lunatics days where the one good guy can carry the bums.

Cult Internet followings is as good as its gonna get for those other dudes.
But you don't like R&B period, so of course you're going to think that 
ohwell.gif

It's like me saying "I don't like rap at all" and then saying "I don't see it with Kendrick Lamar" or something like that.
Is it only about me though? Why do all those dudes not have success like you pointed out?

Its because they suck, the following they do have is solely Drakes doing. 

Last edited:

Is it only about me though? Why do all those dudes not have success like you pointed out?

That may be true, but I would take that opinion with a bit more merit from someone who's actually listened to the music and liked R&B.

I'm not going to seek out a rap opinion from someone who hates rap music.

You already know that the "they can't flourish because they're giving their best work to Drake" comments are on the way
laugh.gif

But I agree. Them living in orbit around Drake is a gift and curse, and I can't quite tell which it's more of. The fact that they get to open up for the biggest artist in hip-hop means that they pretty much hit the ground running in terms of becoming touring acts, but their projects and singles just don't seem to make much noise in the grand scheme. They gain decently sized dedicated followings that don't seem to grow that much from the outside looking in.

Like, they're not going to starve with how things are, but it feels like there's a ceiling put on them.

I'd say that if Party can't make any real noise with this album, it might be time to rethink their promotion approach or Drake might find himself losing some real talent again.
IMO it's their promotional approach with these artist.

They lucked up with The Weeknd, and the whole "mysterious cryptic" act which worked for Weeknd and have basically ran with that style for each of their artist. The whole "Fake indie wave" for new artist has bled all through the industry, and OVO rides that with all their acts.

I personally don't think much of Roy Woods or Majid. DVSN is great, but no one really knows them. PND is great, but no one really knows them either. I think all of their artist would be better served with more traditional rollouts and campaigns. Media blitz, multiple music videos, interviews, magazine covers, things that used to be how an artist w/a label would break. It's like they just promote the album or song 1 time, and let it go. They aren't working their artist at all.

That may be true, but I would take that opinion with a bit more merit from someone who's actually listened to the music and liked R&B.

I'm not going to seek out a rap opinion from someone who hates rap music.
Fair enough. Maybe one day some R&B singer will actually have some cool subject matter and we can find common ground instead of "Baby I love you, Baby I'm sorry, Baby lets have passionate sex" for 10 songs.

Theres really an open lane for that. Let some R&B singer come in and seriously give us some good drug dealing, murder, general fly stuff rhetoric and see what happens.

Last edited:
If Tiller went platinum so can PND.
Lmao no no no...man what? Hell no 
laugh.gif

"Don't" was already bigger than any record PND has ever had by the time Trapsoul came out. 

P3 comes out in a few weeks and doesn't have a record close to breaking into rotation on radio, and he's had multiple drake features, unlike Tiller. 

PND ain't going platinum, even with streams.

Lmao no no no...man what? Hell no :lol:

"Don't" was already bigger than any record PND has ever had by the time Trapsoul came out. 

P3 comes out in a few weeks and doesn't have a record close to breaking into rotation on radio, and he's had multiple drake features, unlike Tiller. 

PND ain't going platinum, even with streams.

PND more talented than Tiller. He wrote Work and Recognize did well on the charts. Not saying he will go platinum, just saying if Tiller can do it so can PND. You don't believe PND has a hit in him?

PND more talented than Tiller. He wrote Work and Recognize did well on the charts. Not saying he will go platinum, just saying if Tiller can do it so can PND. You don't believe PND has a hit in him?

It doesn't matter what he wrote, if he performed work it wouldn't have charted at all because it's a horrible song. Rihanna just has that chart magic

Last edited:
Well, PND being more talented than Tiller is not only subjective, it's irrelevant. 

To give you some perspective, PND has two drake features and hasn't come close to a top 20 hit on either of them. He has the OVO cosign, and still doesn't have nearly the momentum that Tiller or hell even Tory Lanez does.

It's more to it than just who's more talented. I love PND and think OVO is doing him a disservice tbh.

It doesn't matter what he wrote, if he performed work it wouldn't have charted at all because it's a horrible song. Rihanna just has that chart magic
Work is not a horrible song man what 
laugh.gif
 at least not to me. it's extremely catchy, well written, tailor made for summer and the radio.

I'll say work does what it's supposed to do, but outside of Rihanna, drake, Beyoncé that song wouldn't have been a hit

Well, PND being more talented than Tiller is not only subjective, it's irrelevant. 

To give you some perspective, PND has two drake features and hasn't come close to a top 20 hit on either of them. He has the OVO cosign, and still doesn't have nearly the momentum that Tiller or hell even Tory Lanez does.

It's more to it than just who's more talented. I love PND and think OVO is doing him a disservice tbh.

Recognize peaked at 9 on US R&B. His talent plus OVO cosign means to me that him going platinum in his career isn't far fetched.

Cmon famb no way you think Lanez has more stem than Party.

Recognize peaked at 9 on US R&B. His talent plus OVO cosign means to me that him going platinum in his career isn't far fetched.

Cmon famb no way you think Lanez has more stem than Party.
Subjectivity. Whether I think Lanez does or doesn't is irrelevant. Say it is bigger than any record PND has ever put out and Lanez doesn't have the Drake and OVO cosign. Neither does Tiller. That's saying something.

And the only chart that really matters is the Hot 100, in which the record didn't even chart. PND has two records with Drake and none of them have charted. 

IMO it's their promotional approach with these artist.

They lucked up with The Weeknd, and the whole "mysterious cryptic" act which worked for Weeknd and have basically ran with that style for each of their artist. The whole "Fake indie wave" for new artist has bled all through the industry, and OVO rides that with all their acts.

I personally don't think much of Roy Woods or Majid. DVSN is great, but no one really knows them. PND is great, but no one really knows them either. I think all of their artist would be better served with more traditional rollouts and campaigns. Media blitz, multiple music videos, interviews, magazine covers, things that used to be how an artist w/a label would break. It's like they just promote the album or song 1 time, and let it go. They aren't working their artist at all.

I agree.

They're going to have to understand that an "OVO Sound Radio" episode near the release date and some little IG posts ≠ real promotion.

I baselessly doubt that the radio show is bringing in many new ears at this point, and it requires far less effort to double-tap on an image than it does to download or stream a project, much less buy it.

Despite how antiquated Drake and his team may feel like traditional press runs, print coverage, and radio play are, they're still clearly more effective methods for any artist not already at the top of their genres in terms of success.

Majid Jordan at least did a decent press run, but their album felt like it was filled to the brim with radio-ready music yet I haven't seen much of anything on that side. Go back to the drawing board Drizzy, and do right by these ___s.

Last edited:
I agree.

They're going to have to understand that an "OVO Sound Radio" episode near the release date and some little IG posts ≠ real promotion.

I baselessly doubt that the radio show is bringing in many new ears at this point, and it requires far less effort to double-tap on an image than it does to download or stream a project, much less buy it.

Despite how antiquated Drake and his team may feel like traditional press runs, print coverage, and radio play are, they're still clearly more effective methods for any artist not already at the top of their genres in terms of success.

Majid Jordan at least did a decent press run, but their album felt like it was filled to the brim with radio-ready music yet I haven't seen much of anything on that side. Go back to the drawing board Drizzy, and do right by these ___s.
Everything here pretty much

Theres really an open lane for that. Let some R&B singer come in and seriously give us some good drug dealing, murder, general fly stuff rhetoric and see what happens.
What?

R&B singers now stay talking about the plug and **** over trap beats now lol. It's hard to find actual traditional R&B acts.

Tory Lanez seems tailor made for you tho. He does that smooth singing **** while talking about drug dealing and street **** sometimes.

a new artist should just milk Drake for the co-sign and do a few records for him to keep the relationship steady

signing to him is career suicide if you wanna be relevant outside of the internet

Subjectivity. Whether I think Lanez does or doesn't is irrelevant. Say it is bigger than any record PND has ever put out and Lanez doesn't have the Drake and OVO cosign. Neither does Tiller. That's saying something.

And the only chart that really matters is the Hot 100, in which the record didn't even chart. PND has two records with Drake and none of them have charted. 

So that takes us back to the original comment, if these guys can be hot without the backing of the hottest artist in the game, PND who is as talented as them and has the benefit of having the Drake cosign, should be able to reach the same heights. Don't blew up off soundcloud, OVO/WB sending PND records straight to stations.

I think he'll have a great career.

So that takes us back to the original comment, if these guys can be hot without the backing of the hottest artist in the game, PND who is as talented as them and has the benefit of having the Drake cosign, should be able to reach the same heights. Don't blew up off soundcloud, OVO/WB sending PND records straight to stations.

I think he'll have a great career.
"PND who is as talented as them and has the benefit of having the Drake cosign" what if I don't think PND is as talented? That's subjective and has very little to do in the grand scheme of things with popping and It obviously doesn't mean much, and two, the Drake cosign obviously isn't as strong as one would think so maybe the drake cosign isn't nearly as beneficial as you would think. 

PND is definitely more talented than Tiller and Lanez because he produces and mixes most of his music while writing all of it.

Neither of those guys are that advanced if we're talking artistry but we know that doesn't translate to sales/popularity.

Tiller blew up for a multitude of reasons, he fit into a perfect lane that even Party isn't really in.

He's a basic ***** singing about basic things that a bunch of millenialls can relate to and he doesn't disrespect women in his music at all.

You take that and add RCA/Apple actually putting real dollars behind him and leveraging their influence and there you have it.

What?

R&B singers now stay talking about the plug and **** over trap beats now lol. It's hard to find actual traditional R&B acts.

Tory Lanez seems tailor made for you tho. He does that smooth singing **** while talking about drug dealing and street **** sometimes.
Those dudes don't really count. The plug is just buzzword language, along with a lot of stuff dudes like tory Lanez and the weekend say. Those dudes talk about doing drugs more than selling the. I'm talking about real intricate stuff about drug dealing, plus the other stuff.

Last edited:
R&B songs about killing people and dealing drugs..... [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

If that ain't the dumbest **** [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

That's funny for like a feature but if a cat really comes out singing like D'Angelo about pistols that **** is going double wood.

I wish more R&B cats actually made some sexy ****, this **** trey songz and CB make is boo boo

I'm sure they said that about rap when they first broached the subject and now look. Rap music about drugs murder and luxury is the wave and hopefully never goes away.

Last edited:
I think drake needs to put out an OVO sound album, I think it would do pretty good numbers based off the fact it's a "drake" album and just throw a few good hits in there and it may give the other OVO artists the attention they need

Back
Top Bottom