🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

Just because Weeknd doesn't make his own beats doesn't mean he doesn't produce his own music...

His sound on his 3 mixtapes and 1st album are too unified to not have some type of hand in making the projects cohesive.

Just because Weeknd doesn't make his own beats doesn't mean he doesn't produce his own music...

His sound on his 3 mixtapes and 1st album are too unified to not have some type of hand in making the projects cohesive.

Google Illangelo and Doc McKinney.

They are the ones who are responsible for the sound until Kiss Land.

They play the role Party plays for himself, hence my comments in here.

He doesn't.

His production team from that era is well stated. Jeremey Rose, Doc McKinney, and Illangelo singlehandedly crafted that dark aesthetic. 

What You Need, Loft Music, and The Morning were supposed to be reference tracks for another artist...which was then kept for Abel himself...thus creating The Weeknd.

Last edited:
Also one thing to note. It seems to be the consensus that HOB is his magnum opus. Jeremy Rose was kicked to the curb after House of Balloons.

There's a reason nothing else after that quite sounded like that project.

Wait. To imply that The Weeknd had no part of this production is kind of crazy to me. Like he was just hanging out saying, "Like this, guys?" Stop it.

Last edited:
Wait. To imply that The Weeknd had no part of this production is kind of crazy to me. Like he was just hanging out saying, "Like this, guys?" Stop it.

?

That's not what anybody said but from what has been said by all parties actually involved, he let Doc and especially Illangelo guide him.

All artists especially one with the level of detail as him have a hand in production but it's still those guys who are responsible for the sound.

Just listen to their work without him and you can see that they were already building it.

That's exactly what it is though...Weeknd would have been in the same position had he not jumped ship after making Drake's best album. None of these ppl will bubble while signed to OVO because Drake takes up all the shine and music. I literally have no clue what none of these OVO cats look like because they so far in the back.

Naw son, you don't know what they look like because you have no interest in them :lol:

They just aren't being pushed into people's faces/ears through the current promo formula, and that makes one question what the label is doing for them then beyond granting easy access to 40 production and an occasional Drake verse.

Yea, man...HoB is really incredible. We just hadn't heard anything like that. period. He's supposed to be who he is off that, alone.

All these acts are "in the back" by their own design, it seems to me. I think people saw the success that The Weeknd had and tried to emulate that formula (with their own twist). It's not for everybody. The music doesn't speak like that for all these dudes.

Mind you, dvsn has my favorite album of the year and Party is my most anticipated album this year. But...if they want to blow, they have to drop the mystery thing and be...regular.

I see what you mean, but someone like Bryson Tiller has had a great run and has done maybe all of 3 interviews, with none of them including visuals so I don't think being mysterious outside of the music is necessarily a deterrent.

But like you said; if they want to get to higher plateaus then they may very well have to accept that letting the music speak for itself won't work for them.

Last edited:
PND is a terrible singer or rapper whatever it is he does. His beats are dope. His lyrics are bad. I hope that _ is smart cuz Drake is getting a lot of his music.

PND is a terrible singer or rapper whatever it is he does. His beats are dope. His lyrics are bad. I hope that _ is smart cuz Drake is getting a lot of his music.

Regardless if Drake is getting the music or not, he's eating because he getting writing points on all his songs. He's already written on 3 albums for Drake since 2013.

All these Drake songs are going to be making a lot of money for a long time. Especially as streaming and **** continues to be tweaked monetization wise, that publishing gonna have him eating forever regardless of what happens with his solo career.

Not to mention it helps his creative freedom because he gives Work to Drake who gives it to Rihanna and it becomes a worldwide #1.

There's no other way that happens without the Drake connection.

Just because the guy mixes and produces his own work doesnt make him more talented than the weeknd. The guys lyrics and singing is trash.

Which one of the two you gonna sign to your label though

Keep business (profit etc) in mind

Weeknd absolutely but that's because he already established with a huge fan base and he has more experience of making huge pop songs that crossover than Party.

If I'm somebody like Drake, honestly I rather have Party because he's never going to be a bigger star than him (which is obviously important to Drake) + is a wealth of creative talent for you to utilize for yourself and other artists on your label.

Like how he just got Work from Party before a pool party and its made how many millions?

Nothing more valuable than a kid who could do that and is only just getting started if you're an artist owning your own label.

But I'm not like Drake, I just want the biggest artist so I would take The Weeknd every time.

He's going to be bigger than Drake in 3/4 years because he's really the first of his kind if we're talking 90's born musical geniuses.

Last edited:
Aware of what exactly? I understand that pnd may produce his own stuff and is really talented in his own right. But that doesnt change his horrible singing and weak lyrics

Do you understand that?

Music is subjective but your opinion can still be wrong.

You can think what you want though, I already laid out my stance.

If you're running a label and you don't care about being the star or having somebody write for you it's the Weeknd.

Of course a dude like Drake would rather PND cuz PND ain't that good. Drake can take his music and make it sound better. And obviously PND is cool with that.

The Weeknd put a limit on how much Drake can use him and used the exposure to his benefit.

Last edited:
All that matter to me is who can sing better. PND doesn't have that great of a voice. Weeknd does.

Of course a dude like Drake would rather PND cuz PND ain't that good. Drake can take his music and make it sound better. 

SMDRAKE50.png

whose mans is this?

Back
Top Bottom