šŸ¦‰The Official Drake Thread6ļøāƒ£ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

Mob ties and cant take a joke on repeat

Louie bags for body bags

tenor.gif

I mean on the subject of subject matter... What if I don't want to hear him rap about anything else... Cause I don't. I don't want to hear Drake rap about the genocide in Darfur or the plight of the black man. One of his main selling points to me is his subject matter.

If I heard a Drake project and there wasn't a song about a girl who he's after playing him I would be disappointed tbh. He knows his lane and he excels at it.

To this point, I personally can't imagine why someone who didn't like Views or More Life, would check out this album and expect much different.

He, like most rappers when they're 8, 10 projects in, are what they are. This is the quintessential drake album. In fact, because he's completely separated the rap and r&b, it's the most Drake album ever.

As I've said before, if your criticism of Drake is that you're tired of hearing the same ****, same stories about ex's, family members, etc. then I get that. There's not really much difference between say, "Peak" and "A Night Off." I could see someone thinking that his Rapping / R&B is stale, no deviation. I personally don't mind the same content, but I could understand why he did.

That being said, at this point, after More Life, and Views, to expect anything close to a drastic difference is kind of ridiculous. Why would you Hate or dislike Views / More Life, and expect Scorpion to be anything different?

One of the things you know about Drake and a Drake project, is that you know what you're getting. If you like what you get from Drake, then you're going to love his albums. If you haven't, then you won't. He is what he is at this point.

It really just comes down to what the listener likes to hear. No doubt Drake knows what sells, and he doesnā€™t take any chances to mess that up. Drake is really great at commercial friendly rap and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that at all. If Iā€™m in the mood for easy listening/party music Iā€™ll throw on some
Drizzy.

But I personally want more from Drake. For me, a real hip hop artist can expand into different genres and go out of their comfort zone and do it successfully. This includes them rapping about the struggles of their life and upbringing, the political and cultural injustices, their community, etc. and I just donā€™t hear any of that from Drake. It just doesnā€™t come off authentic to me. He sticks to the same subject matter every album, which is fine, but he puts himself into a corner where itā€™s hard for him to really expand as an artist.

Drake will not stand the test of time if he keeps doing what heā€™s doing, and he certainly wonā€™t come close to a Top 10 GOAT list if he doesnā€™t find a way to expand his subject matter and find a decent story to tell.

Again this isnā€™t a knock on Drake and Iā€™m not saying this album isnā€™t good. Itā€™s great for a Drake album. I just think he has more potential than being a commercial rapper, and Iā€™m starting to lose faith heā€™ll ever get away from that. At this point it doesnā€™t seem like he wants to.

You only listen to the singles if you think Drake is just party music.

Drake is renown for speaking about his life. Heā€™s probably one of the most transparent rappers ever. Man has a whole song about finding out he has a son with a woman he barely knows. As far as different genres go, the man just released a Rap and R&B double album. Views and More Life had dancehall and afrobeat elements. Iā€™m guessing youā€™re a B.I.G fan so what different genres did he get into? When did he get out of his comfort zone? Is he not a real hip hop artist? Again, itā€™s cool for yā€™all to not like his music but the reasons yā€™all give are wild :lol:

It really just comes down to what the listener likes to hear. No doubt Drake knows what sells, and he doesnā€™t take any chances to mess that up. Drake is really great at commercial friendly rap and thereā€™s nothing wrong with that at all. If Iā€™m in the mood for easy listening/party music Iā€™ll throw on some
Drizzy.

But I personally want more from Drake. For me, a real hip hop artist can expand into different genres and go out of their comfort zone and do it successfully. This includes them rapping about the struggles of their life and upbringing, the political and cultural injustices, their community, etc. and I just donā€™t hear any of that from Drake. It just doesnā€™t come off authentic to me. He sticks to the same subject matter every album, which is fine, but he puts himself into a corner where itā€™s hard for him to really expand as an artist.

Drake will not stand the test of time if he keeps doing what heā€™s doing, and he certainly wonā€™t come close to a Top 10 GOAT list if he doesnā€™t find a way to expand his subject matter and find a decent story to tell.

Again this isnā€™t a knock on Drake and Iā€™m not saying this album isnā€™t good. Itā€™s great for a Drake album. I just think he has more potential than being a commercial rapper, and Iā€™m starting to lose faith heā€™ll ever get away from that. At this point it doesnā€™t seem like he wants to.
I can think of one rapper that has that diverse of subject matter and it's Hov. That's some crazy criteria

I was listening to American gangster the other day. **** is classic. Man jay z used to be so dope. Thatā€™s the last album from him I liked. Everything after that has been cheeks

Drizzy.

Youā€™re out of touch...

y'all don't want conscious drake, people just nitpicking, "drakes not from here to speak on issues", "he aint from the streets, he grew up rich", "He only speaks on it cause he has an agenda" :lol:

Yeah people just sound dumb af... this album got the Drake Iā€™m trying to hear... everything from Bangers to introspective tracks to some R&B/singing... thatā€™s who he is.

Non stop and In my feelings were ringing off crazy in the club last night, hear Drake coming out of almost every car in NYC.

After playing it a few times, I keep discovering new joints that hit. This album is 100% Drake if you're a fan, feels like there's a song from each of his projects on here. The bars were great throughout for the most part, and 40/production stellar as always.

Based god on the intro :lol:

My god Drake fans are so sensitive haha. I criticize him and his new album based on my personal perspective (I even said the album was good for Drake lol), and yā€™all jump down my throat and get all defensive. Relax guys we all got different opinions with music.

Like I said before this a great Drake album and itā€™s surely Drake at his finest. But my original comments came from people saying this is AOTY, which is beyond stretching. But if this is just a Drake **** riding thread then Iā€™ll gladly see myself out.

I can think of one rapper that has that diverse of subject matter and it's Hov. That's some crazy criteria

Bro you kidding me? Kendrick, Cole, Kanye, Nipsey, Bas, Logic, Cyhi, Chance, Pusha, Gambino, RTJ, Saba, Vic Mensa, Schoolboy Q just to name a few newer guys that have diverse subject matter throughout their albums.

Logic might be a better rapper than Drake, if he does write all his stuff.

And I think Logic is one of the corniest rappers of all time, but letā€™s not pretend he canā€™t rap.:lol:

My god Drake fans are so sensitive haha. I criticize him and his new album based on my personal perspective (I even said the album was good for Drake lol), and yā€™all jump down my throat and get all defensive. Relax guys we all got different opinions with music.

Like I said before this a great Drake album and itā€™s surely Drake at his finest. But my original comments came from people saying this is AOTY, which is beyond stretching. But if this is just a Drake **** riding thread then Iā€™ll gladly see myself out.

Bro you kidding me? Kendrick, Cole, Kanye, Nipsey, Bas, Logic, Cyhi, Chance, Pusha, Gambino, RTJ, Saba, Vic Mensa, Schoolboy Q just to name a few newer guys that have diverse subject matter throughout their albums.

Youā€™re out of touch if you expect Drake to touch on the subjects of any of those rappers you listed lol. We ainā€™t disagreeing to defend Drake, as much as We are saying youā€™re expecting things that donā€™t add up to who and what he is and has been for 10 years...

In my feelings is super hard.

Makes me want to put on a leotard and learn how to twerk. That new Orleans bounce is something serious

Dude did nothing new on this **** at all.

Emotionless literally is drake from all albums. Hard beat with decent lyrics to a piano outro. This ***** does this every single ****ing album.

Back
Top Bottom