🦉The Official Drake Thread6️⃣ - Scary Hours 3 11.17.23

That break from 2004 to 2008ish killed Nelly. he didn't stand out anymore because the niche he carved out was gone when he south took over and he was just another "rapper"

He didn't really take a break Grillz was a #1 song in 2006; he followed up a year later with a brand new single which bombed and he followed up with 3 more bomb singles then just released the album in 08 which really bombed

My Place is still my favorite Nelly radio single

Last edited:
I can't agree on the Nelly comparison. Nelly was never a real good rapper. He made great party records and anthems but that was about it. Drake ain't the best rapper out but he's pretty damn when he wants to be. Some of his music is too soft but he's still respected lyrically.

Drake is guranteed to be one of the biggest artists of all time, but he will phase out just like Nelly, 50 & Ja Rule. Nelly was hot with Country Grammar & Nellyville but sort of fell off after Sweat & Suit dropped. Ja Rule's fanbase just turned on him when 50 was going at him and them Em & Dre joined to bury him. 50 just isolated himself by dissing everybody and started to make the same boring music over and over again. that's where Drake falls in. his music is becoming redundant. don't get me wrong he still drops some dope music, but the impact is wearing off.

Not sure how you can say that when his sales are increasing and his fan base is heavy

50 had a sharp decline and it was over when Kanye crushed him first week

Sweat and Suit sold crazy numbers; Nelly dropped because he was a product of the time and others filled his lane easily

Just a Dream was a top ten single a few years back but no one bought the album because people were only checking Nelly for radio singles only which is what he always was but from 2000-2004 people still heavily bought albums because piracy wasn't peaking yet

Last edited:
A certain demographic of people want Drake to fail so bad it's like they think it'll happen if they convince themselves that

The reality it's the opposite

Nah. I cant see Drake falling off anytime soon. If he plays his cards right he might have a long *** career. Prolly gonna be relevant well into his 40's.

Drake is guranteed to be one of the biggest artists of all time, but he will phase out just like Nelly, 50 & Ja Rule. Nelly was hot with Country Grammar & Nellyville but sort of fell off after Sweat & Suit dropped. Ja Rule's fanbase just turned on him when 50 was going at him and them Em & Dre joined to bury him. 50 just isolated himself by dissing everybody and started to make the same boring music over and over again. that's where Drake falls in. his music is becoming redundant. don't get me wrong he still drops some dope music, but the impact is wearing off.

Not sure how you can say that when his sales are increasing and his fan base is heavy

50 had a sharp decline and it was over when Kanye crushed him first week

Sweat and Suit sold crazy numbers; Nelly dropped because he was a product of the time and others filled his lane easily

Just a Dream was a top ten single a few years back but no one bought the album because people were only checking Nelly for radio singles only which is what he always was but from 2000-2004 people still heavily bought albums because piracy wasn't peaking yet

He was making legit good radio records during that time though. In 2010, those two singles he put out screamed of desperation and didn't feel natural at all, and even though they charted well enough, they were empty singles and lacked the punch that all his others had. You could say the same for the singles from his 08 album as well (Stepped On My J's :x :x). After that album, it was pretty much a given that no one would be checking for him when the 2010 album came around.

Wow, and in this Nelly talk, he drops an album today :lol:. Had no clue he even had a single or anything.

Drake's definitely not going anywhere for the time being. His buzz if definitely at a high right now

Last edited:
Yall keep comparing talent like that equals longevity :lol:

And yea "Nelly was a big fish in a big pond and Drake is a big fish in a small pond" comparison is on point

Therefore, Drake being compared to Nelly's peak is a slight to Nelly.

Yall might be younger than me but I remember Nelly and NSync being head to head with each other as far as MTV popularity goes

Which is still crazy to me.

Drake isnt done yet but you're blind if you dont see his buzz on Take Care was much higher and on this one there's a dip.

I think Hold On We're Going Home can/should have been his biggest record. But thats another story

Nah. I cant see Drake falling off anytime soon. If he plays his cards right he might have a long *** career. Prolly gonna be relevant well into his 40's.

That's because he's a pop star. Just like if Lil Wayne drops the Carter 5 or whatever the hell he names his next album, regardless of how horrible it may be, the masses will eat it up.

Yall keep comparing talent like that equals longevity :lol:

And yea "Nelly was a big fish in a big pond and Drake is a big fish in a small pond" comparison is on point

Therefore, Drake being compared to Nelly's peak is a slight to Nelly.

Yall might be younger than me but I remember Nelly and NSync being head to head with each other as far as MTV popularity goes

Which is still crazy to me.

Drake isnt done yet but you're blind if you dont see his buzz on Take Care was much higher and on this one there's a dip.

I think Hold On We're Going Home can/should have been his biggest record. But thats another story

The buzz for Take Care was bigger? Are you slow man

He's about to have the 2nd biggest debut of 2013 behind Justin Timberlake

laugh.gif
 RIGHT.

His highest selling first week to date = Must be blind

A deaf ***** will tell you 2011 was Drake's year. Nobody is going to tell you 2013 is Drake's year. :lol:

I understand blind fans gonna blind fan. But are you really comparing his 2011 run with 2 gold singles and 2 platinum singles to this year with the Versace remix and an album with maybe one big single?

He's doing fine but sheesh his buzz was way bigger with his 2nd album.

A deaf ***** will tell you 2011 was Drake's year. Nobody is going to tell you 2013 is Drake's year. :lol:

I understand blind fans gonna blind fan. But are you really comparing his 2011 run with 2 gold singles and 2 platinum singles to this year with the Versace remix and an album with maybe one big single?

Both singles from NWTS are top 10 Billboard singles

Care to fail again?

can i ask what buzz is?

if you sell more than your last album first week you don't have a bigger buzz?

please explain. srs.

Cartune trolling, no reason to even respond to that.

I don't know what world you're in but this is Drake's time without question, if you think other wise you're not being objective, proof is in the numbers.

Last edited:
I'm not even sure if dude is serious right now. He had more of a presence in 2011 just because Take Care had more songs and he dropped straight fire in the months leading to it, but his 2013 buzz is definitely higher looking at the numbers.

Drake collaborated with the Toronto Blue Jays and they gave him their logo. He's also partnering with the Raptors, two multimillion dollar sports franchise coming to a rapper, but you right he's not that hot.

Drake is similar to Ja Rule, and he is similar to Nelly.

The difference lies in the fact that he's viewed as a superior rapper than those guys, has a real legit r&b presence (where as those guys were viewed as a rapper who sings, drake when he does r&b actually is viewed upon as a singer) and has the crossover appeal that those two guys didn't.

Will Drake fall off? Will the general public get tired of him? It's hard to say, I mean it could happen. It's happened to plenty of artist who were at the top the genre. However, I feel that most when considering if/when Drake will fall,don't equate the climate that he's in musically.

Ja Rule and Nelly were big in a time that had no mixtapes, the hot artist being on everybody's song on the radio wasn't the norm as it is today. This is important to note because if it takes about 2 years to drop an LP, new artist will have arisen to take the consumer's minds off of who was hot. This is what happened to Ja Rule, Nelly, and others. They didn't fall because the music went bad, they fell because the people forgot about them. As a result, when they tried to come back, they were viewed upon as "old" and "not hip enough for my headphones" for lack of a better phrase.

Drake doesn't have to deal with that issue, and he has Lil Wayne to thank for this. Wayne ushered in this new way of staying relevant. The mixtapes, the enormous amount of features, all of that helps to stay in the public eye without having to drop an album every six months. This is why it'll be hard for Drake to completely fall off. He'll always be responsible for a chart topping single, whether it be his or not. This keeps him in the public eye, so that they don't forget about him. If he stays in the public eye, he can kind of dictate the way music goes because most people remember his features because of what he did on the record. With this method, he's always on the front of the consumer's mind.

So he may fall off, but it probably won't be for awhile because every time he gets quiet, he'll be in the clubs and on the radio due to his feature game.

Back
Top Bottom