09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Apparently, Mosley himself did the press release stating that Pacquiao agreed to the fight. Pacquiao was willing to fight but usually its the promotion companythat does the press release when everything is set and ready to go. For the record, promoter Bob Arum quickly nixed reports of the fight being close tofinalized and stated Pacquiao will wait until Floyd Mayweather faces Juan Manuel Marquez on July 18 to make a decision on his October 17 opponent.

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

any of you guys members in any boxing forums? I'm a member in Philboxing but too much Pacquiao stans, racists, unknowledgable boxing fans in that site. I'm also a member in boxingscene.... and too many filipino haters in that site.. lol

you guys recommend any other boxing forum? though honestly our little NT boxing thread has been like 'home' for me

laugh.gif
yea them BoxingScene dudes are hilarious. I only check there and ourthread.....
pimp.gif
Im always up to date on the boxing tip

What fighter would be a better matchup for Pac...Cotto or Mosely?

I'm liking that Mosely fight tho tons of star power and it should be an electric fight.

I'm a member in Philboxing but too much Pacquiao stans, racists, unknowledgable boxing fans in that site. I'm also a member in boxingscene....

Where do I sign up?

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

though honestly our little NT boxing thread has been like 'home' for me

3 years strong

I'll probably never leave the NT Sports forum or this thread

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

I'm liking that Mosely fight tho tons of star power and it should be an electric fight.

good question. I'd say Mosley would be a better match-up for Pac ... and Mosley is my favorite active fighter thats not filipino.

I won't even put age in the equation because dude just seems to get better with age. Though I noticed Mosley gets hit alot.. even Margarito's slowa** jab was tagging him. So thats where Manny's advantage would take place... he would be the fastest fighter Shane has fought. Cotto keeps his hands ina good high guard position though he would be prone to a left upper-cut because his chin's always open... Thats where Judah (also southpaw) was succesfulagainst him when he threw his left uppers.. but I don't see Manny throwing many left uppers... and Cotto is stronger than Hatton (and smarter as well) soif Cotto will stick to his game plan.. and is able to attack Manny's body ... then if he pins Manny in the ropes... lights out for Manny if he receivesthat signature Cotto left hook to his ribs.

Anyway, if the fight will be at 147 for either Cotto or Mosley... i really think Manny will be in trouble. He'd have to use alot of boxing skills and alotof in-out movements rather than trade with these 2. Manny's advantage is basically to get them to fight in a catch weight of 143-144 and get themdehydrated and fight with :nerd:z gloves.
Though i really think if Manny will fight either of these 2... f*** catch weights. Either fight them at 147 or turn down Mosley's challenge and stick tohis own division which currently is 140. We want to see 2 healthy fighters go at it

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

I'm a member in Philboxing but too much Pacquiao stans, racists, unknowledgable boxing fans in that site. I'm also a member in boxingscene....

Where do I sign up?

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

though honestly our little NT boxing thread has been like 'home' for me

3 years strong

I'll probably never leave the NT Sports forum or this thread

pimp.gif
if you're black... i seriously suggest avoiding philboxing
laugh.gif
Alot of the comments there man
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
Make me embarrassed reading them. There was even a thread about mygirl because she was caught on tv during one of the local fights and the next day, a thread was made linking her facebook, pics, name, etc..
laugh.gif

But NT Sports forum has been
pimp.gif

any of you guys members in any boxing forums? I'm a member in Philboxing but too much Pacquiao stans, racists, unknowledgable boxing fans in that site. I'm also a member in boxingscene.... and too many filipino haters in that site.. lol

you guys recommend any other boxing forum? though honestly our little NT boxing thread has been like 'home' for me

I read boxingscene sometimes and there is some good info and thoughts but it's mixed in with a bunch of garbage. I'll just say after going there Ireally appreciate the rules that are in place here. Some of those Kkklitschko fans
indifferent.gif
I actually prefer our small group of boxing fans here and feel like thequality of the conversations are much better.

I think boxingscene might be the biggest but I know some of other major sites are: eastsideboxing.com, maxboxing.com, and boxrec.com. I've heard if youtrashtalk Nate Campbell on maxboxing (?) he'll come for you and argue about himself
laugh.gif

Toss up.
I dont like Pacman in there with MAC because his body punching and Jab will eat Manny up.
Mosley is tough because Shane's Chin Solid. his boxing/brawling is > Pacs

Pac has a better chance vs the older fighter tho. No question in my mind

keeps his hands in a good high guard position though he would be prone to a left upper-cut because his chin's always open
During the Shane fight my landlord had to keep banging the broom on his roof because I wouldn't stop jumping off the couch screaming"THROW A #*%*#@% UPPERCUT YOU ROIDED OUT PEICE OF !*%*."

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

keeps his hands in a good high guard position though he would be prone to a left upper-cut because his chin's always open
During the Shane fight my landlord had to keep banging the broom on his roof because I wouldn't stop jumping off the couch screaming "THROW A %@!$%+# UPPERCUT YOU ROIDED OUT PEICE OF *!@+."

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I used to live in one of those apartments with thin @%! walls. Every time we were loud the downstairs neighbors would counter by playing loud @%! karaokein the early morning
smh.gif

Actually, the more I think about it.... PBF would be the 'safer' fight for Pac. Not only does PBF have those brittle hands but there have been rumorsthat he has a bad shoulder (which supposedly is the real reason he took a year n half off). He'd can most definitely out box Pac, but not put the beatingthat Cotto and Shane might possibly inflict.

New L.A. club series can follow footsteps of successful Southern California shows
Posted Jun. 3, 2009 at 10:02pm

By Doug Fischer

The premiere of "Fight Night Club," Golden Boy Promotions' ongoing boxing series from Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles, is less than a week away.

The inaugural show, on Thursday, June 11, marks the first time a regular fight card has been presented in the Los Angeles area this decade and with it comes a mix of anticipation and skepticism from the local boxing community.

Some wonder if an ongoing club show can survive and thrive in a market as big and crowded with alternative forms of entertainment as Los Angeles.

The good news is that it has been done for many years by smaller promotional companies in smaller markets in Southern California. And the formula for success is as simple as a one-two combination.

Roy Englebrecht's "Battle in the Ballroom" series recently celebrated it's 25th anniversary of packed shows at the Marriott Hotel in Irvine, Calif., which is about 40 miles south of L.A. Since 2000, Thompson Boxing Promotions has put on shows in front of standing-room only crowds at the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario, Calif., about 40 miles east of L.A.

Englebrecht and Thompson Boxing have slight philosophical differences in their approach to promoting but both companies have built well-attended club series with the same basic principles:

Competitive fights, fun atmospheres and affordable ticket prices.

If those keys to success hold true for L.A., the future of "Fight Night Club" looks good.

The June 11 main event between prospects David Rodela and Juan Garcia is a competitive matchup, as the other four- and six-round bouts on the card appear to be. Club Nokia is a centrally located state-of-the-art venue that was built for lively, but comfortable intimate shows. Tickets start at $28. The most expensive ticket, for the "Mezzanine VIP" area of the club, is only $65.

"Great minds think alike," Englebrecht said of Golden Boy's new series. "We pioneered the Thursday night fight series 25 years ago and we haven't changed the day of the week because it's perfect for boxing; it doesn't conflict with other sporting events or other weekend entertainment. Golden Boy's series should do well. I've seen Club Nokia. It's a 'Wow' venue. Very nice. It will be customer friendly.

"The seating arrangement is different from most club shows because you have a theater with most of the seats on one side, so it's not like a ballroom. We have 1,412 seats and they're all good. But they will have big video screens on either side of the ring, so I'm sure fans will be able to see the action."

Having a regular venue to host the fights is just as important as the ring action.

Thompson Boxing, which was established in 2000, averages 10 shows a year, eight of which are held at the Doubletree Hotel.

"Every show at the Doubletree has soldout for the last nine years," said Alex Camponovo, general manager and matchmaker for the company. "We've researched our audience and the areas that we reach and we found that 70 percent are from the Ontario area. The rest are from Los Angeles and Orange County.

"It makes sense. If you look at our fighters, the ones who carry the shows, they are from the Inland Empire (the area surrounding Ontario), which has a incredible amount of boxers. They bring their family and friends to the shows but they gradually build fan followings as they progress."

Irvine, which is in Orange County, doesn't have as many boxing gyms or as much local talent as L.A. and the Inland Empire, which is in San Bernardino County, so Englebrecht's promotions tend to focus more on the live show than on individual fighters.

Englebrecht, who was once part-owner of a minor league baseball team, brings a ballpark atmosphere to the ballroom.

"You don't have to be a hardcore fight fan to enjoy the atmosphere at the Marriott," Englebrecht said. "Our regulars bring people who have never seen a live fight before to our shows and they find out that it's the place to be in Orange County on a Thursday night. They have the time of their life and they go back and tell 10 people at work. We've made a lot of fight fans and we do it with the way we present the fights.

"There's an energy here. We're like the minor leagues of boxing promotions. In baseball and basketball you have a starting line up. We do the same thing with the fighters. Right at the top of the show we walk out all the fighters of the red corner with a ringcard girl and we introduce them. Then we do the blue corner. 'Ladies and gentlemen, here's who's fighting on tonight's card!'"

Englebrecht's cards are geared to bringing the fans closer to the fighters and to the action.

"You have to get the fans involved if you want them to have a good time and if you want them to come back," Englebrecht said. "We do a knockout contest where a fan who is picked from a drawing gets to sit ringside, right next to a judge. If there is a knockout in that fight, he's invited into the ring and I pay him $100 in $20 bills. We do that before each fight and they love it.

"Everyone at our shows gets a bout sheet with a coupon attached to it. If they fill out the coupon, and just about everyone does, we have ringcard girls collect them before each fight. I collect the names and emails from those coupons, the data of my best fans, and they have a chance to sit ringside and win $100."

Most of the fans at Englebrecht's shows are season ticket holders from local businesses who often buy tickets in bulk to entertain their clients.

Anyone who buys 25 tickets or more gets to accompany the fighters, along with three of their guests, to the ring.

"We call it our 'Inside the Ring promotion,'" Englebrecht said. "Four people walk in with the red corner, four walk in with the blue corner. After the fight, they present the fighter with trophies in the ring. We take their picture and we send it to them. For somebody who's never been around boxing, you have made fans for life with that experience."

Longtime fans of the Battle in the Ballroom series, of which Golden Boy has small stake, have not only enjoyed the club atmosphere but have occasionally witnessed a future champ.

"Our fans don't care about names, they just want to see a good fight," said Englebrecht. "But we've had our share of names come through here. Johnny Tapia's first seven fights were here. Genaro Hernandez fought here eight times. Shane Mosley fought here. So did Israel Vazquez.

"I think something like 34 current of former world champs have fought at the Irvine Marriott, maybe more. I've lost count."

Camponovo hasn't lost count of the world-class fighters who have fought on Thompson Boxing cards. That's because the company is in the business of developing them. So far the shinning star of their program is 140-pound titleholder Timothy Bradley, THE RING's No. 1-rated junior welterweight.

Yonnhy Perez, a top-rated bantamweight from Colombia who just beat contender Silence Mabuza in a title-elimination bout in South Africa, was also developed on Thompson Boxing's shows at the Doubletree.

The development of young fighters sets Thompson Boxing apart from Englebrecht's club series, but it wasn't always that way.

"In the beginning the goal was just to put on entertaining shows," said Camponovo, "but then we noticed some of the fighters who had followings had the potential to do more, like Josesito Lopez. He was our first contract fighter. Then Bradley came around. We saw that he was special and signed him after three fights.

"We decided to start signing fighters after we saw how far Chris Arreola progressed. He's from nearby Riverside, like Lopez, and he used to fight on our shows. But he moved on to bigger and better things and we weren't able to be a part of it. That opened our eyes to that part of the business and, for me, it gives more meaning to what we do. Yonnhy Perez came to us when he was 6-0, and now he's at the door of a world title. It's very satisfying to watch a fighter grow like that."

Camponovo believes more Thompson Boxing fighters will follow in Bradley and Perez's footsteps. Featherweight prospect Juan Carlos Burgos (21-0, 15 knockouts), who takes on Vyacheslav Gusev in the main event of their next Doubletree show on June 12, and 140-pound prospect Mauricio Herrera (10-0, 5 KOs), who is also on the card, are well on their way.

"We have also have lightweight Dominic Salcido, he's coming back in July, Abraham Lopez, an explosive young featherweight out of La Puente, and Danny Hernandez, a lightweight from Southgate who is about to be signed." he said. "They are the new blood of our series."

Golden Boy Promotions can introduce new blood to the L.A. fight scene, perhaps for years to come, if it plays its cards right.

"There's not one certain thing that ensures a successful club series," Camponovo said. "It's a combination of things, but it's pretty simple. Promoters just have to remember to keep simple.

"A nice venue with a good atmosphere and lively music is important. Ticket prices are important. We've had the same ticket prices, $30, $45 and $75, since 2000. Fans want value for the money. And, of course, action is important. Knockouts are important.

"You can't have a good show without competitive matches. We learned to put on good matchups early on. Nobody is going to have an easy fight on our shows, including our fighters. Fans want to see real fights and I have to know if our guys can fight. They have to prove themselves before moving on to the next level."
I cant stand Golden Shower promotions but this sounds like a Winner.

I know i'm a little late, but you can't put this whole mosley-pac man delay on Arum. Roach himself said he wanted to wait until after Marquez-PBFbefore deciding on the next fight for Pacman. We should all know by now Pacman will say any damn thing at any damn time. Or did we all forget about him signingcontracts with like 7 different promoters at the same time
laugh.gif

[h1]Roach: 'Mosley not on my radar'[/h1]By Michael Rosenthal

Shane Mosley recently went to Freddie Roach's Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood, Calif., to discuss a possible fight against Roach's star protégé, Manny Pacquiao.

The conversation wasn't complicated, Roach said. It went something like this:

Roach: "Can you make 142 (pounds)?"

Mosley: "No, I can't get below 147."

Roach: "Then there'll be no fight."

Mosley: "But you fought Oscar (De La Hoya) at 147?"

Roach: "You're not Oscar."

That's where a possible fight between Pacquiao, the world's No. 1 fighter pound for pound, and Mosley apparently stands. It doesn't seem likely, at least at the moment.

And weight isn't the only issue. Roach said that Pacquiao would prefer to face Mayweather - if he beats Juan Manuel Marquez on July 18 -- because he perceives that as a bigger fight.

"Manny wants Mayweather because that's the biggest fight, the fight everyone wants to see. Shane isn't even on my radar," Roach said.

Roach also said that nothing is impossible, meaning Pacquiao could end up in the ring with Mosley yet depending on how things unfold.

First, Roach has always acknowledged that he doesn't have final say on whom Pacquiao fights. The Filipino icon could change his mind at any time.

Second, Marquez could win, which probably would preclude a fight against Mayweather and open up many possibilities.

And, third, Roach said the 142-pound limit he mentioned on Thursday isn't set in stone. He said 143 or 144 - the latter of which Mosley ultimately said he'd agree to - could be discussed if Pacquiao should decide to pursue Mosley.

"I want to negotiate as best I can for my fighter," Roach said. "I think 142 is best. I'm not saying 143 or 144 is impossible, though. Everything is negotiable."

Meanwhile, Oscar De La Hoya, with whom Mosley works in Golden Boy Promotions, said he doesn't believe Pacquiao and his handlers would ever take the Mosley fight. And if they did, De La Hoya said, "Mosley would crush Pacquiao in a heartbeat."

"That's why I think it would never happen," De La Hoya said. "Mosley is willing to come down in weight and take a smaller share of the pot, which show you he wants to fight the best. Obviously that's an admirable quality.

"I just don't feel Freddie and Manny will do it. … Mosley is too big a threat. Was I a risk when I came down to 147? Freddie Roach is smart. He saw something. Was Ricky Hatton a risk? Again, Freddie is a smart guy. That's why he's the best.

"And it's why he's not going to risk his fighter's pound-for-pound status against a real champion like Mosley."

Why would Mosley beat Pacquiao? Speed and brains, De La Hoya said.

"Mosley saw my fight against Pacquiao," he said. "He saw the Ricky Hatton fight. He wouldn't commit the mistakes we both made. He won't come down in weight too much like I did. He won't leave his head up there like Ricky did. He's smart."

Of course, Roach took exception to De La Hoya's comments.

"We crushed Oscar," he said, "and we can crush Mosley too because they had two close fights."
smh.gif

Roach: "Can you make 142 (pounds)?"

Mosley: "No, I can't get below 147."

Roach: "Then there'll be no fight."

Mosley: "But you fought Oscar (De La Hoya) at 147?"

Roach: "You're not Oscar."

"We crushed Oscar," he said, "and we can crush Mosley too because they had two close fights."

laugh.gif
so make the fight then
Roach talkin out both sides of his mouth
sick.gif

But..........wouldn't he fight mayweather at 147?
After reading that, once PBF demolishes JMM, Theres NOOO WAY Roach n Nem agree to fight at 147

Exactly, Manny is not fighting at 147 again.

If Marquez wins and Manny doesn't give him a 3rd fight all his respect/credibility goes out the door to me.

i hate to say it... roach is babying pacquiao
smh.gif
Trying to get all thesewelters to dehydrate themselves and fight with :nerd:z gloves. Either Manny go to Shane's division at 147... or no fight all

How much weight do u usually gain after you rehydrate after making weight? Usually 5-10lbs right? It doesn't seem that big of a difference to me unlessMosely gonna be 160+ come fight night...

Back
Top Bottom